Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Road Signage Pictures

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

This first one, in Baldoyle, should get an award for stating the obvious.

Whereas, the next two, taken between Portmarnock and Malahide are fine example of Fingal's quirky sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,962 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Is this suppossed to be some sort of joke!- spotted on the R250 in Co Donegal :eek:

(Apologies for the quality of the pic).

SlowSign1.jpg

I came across several of these junctions with contradictory signage also in Co Donegal. The one pictured is in Glenties village. At the junction of the R250 and R252 there is also a standard YIELD sign with STOP painted on the road and at the junction of the R250 with the R251 there is a STOP sign with YIELD symbols painted on the road! :rolleyes:

GlentiesJunction.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

SlowSign1.jpg
    Dear God! We have a winner. That is without doubt the worst road sign in Ireland.

Well done Donegal CC. You win the prize. Despite having the longest border with a country that has proper signage, Donegal has learned nothing from Northern Ireland.

I don't think that "slow" sign is even legal!

No wonder the world takes the p!ss out of Irish road signs.

I thought I was seeing things and did a swift U-turn.

The strange thing is that I had two passengers in the car who couldn't see what was wrong! :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,303 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I don't think that "slow" sign is even legal!

No wonder the world takes the p!ss out of Irish road signs.
    I don't know if the legislation has been revised.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1961/en/act/pub/0024/sec0095.html

"...

(10) A person other than a road authority shall not provide a traffic sign visible from a public road without the consent of the Commissioner....

(14) A person shall not provide any such sign, device, notice or light as is not a traffic, sign if, on provision thereof, it is visible from a public road and—

( a ) it is capable of being confused with a traffic sign,

( b ) it makes a traffic sign provided in accordance with this section less visible to road users, or

( c ) it obstructs the view of public road users so as to render the road dangerous to them...."

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1994/en/act/pub/0007/sec0037.html

"...

(3) ( a ) A road authority may provide for public roads in their charge such information signs and warning signs as they consider desirable.( b ) Subject to subsection

(4) of this section, a road authority may, after consultation with the Commissioner, provide for public roads intheir charge such regulatory signs as they consider desirable...."

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Whats going on with the line drawn across the length of the road? Is it a one way or something....?

GlentiesJunction.jpg

I presume that's a traffic island to the right. A one way street would (should) have NO ENTRY painted on the road and different markiings.

murphaph wrote: »
    I presume that's a traffic island to the right. A one way street would (should) have NO ENTRY painted on the road and different markiings.
    Yup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

So what happens if you "Yield" and get done for not stopping? No wonder judges throw a wobbly on the first Wednesdsay of the month.

Also why do so many signs indicating direction for a destination not include the distance?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The contradictory road markings reminded me of some that were on Collins Ave outside DCU a good few years ago (may still be there). The speed limit increased from 30mph to 40 or 50mph along DCU. However, painted all along the road were 'SLOW' signs.

mike65 wrote: »
    So what happens if you "Yield" and get done for not stopping? No wonder judges throw a wobbly on the first Wednesdsay of the month.
    The markings on the road are legally enforcable in this case. The signs are supposed to back the markings up, but a sensible judge would throw out any charge. Wouldn't (s)he?!
    mike65 wrote: »
    Also why do so many signs indicating direction for a destination not include the distance?
    Well this should be ok because they should (as is common in the UK) place a route confirmation sign shortly after the junction with distances on. Of course in this jurisdiction the RCS is often (usually) forgotten about.

It's your common or garden half @rsed irish 'solution'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭cormthechippy

Can anyone kindly tell me how I put up pictures on the Sabre site? Have a good few of NI roads and the rest of Ireland, cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 21,435 ✭✭✭✭Alun

murphaph wrote: »
    The markings on the road are legally enforcable in this case. The signs are supposed to back the markings up, ...
    Odd. I'd have thought it would be the other way around?

Alun wrote: »
    Odd. I'd have thought it would be the other way around?
    Nope. The painted stop/yield markings are what require you to stop/yield but if they are not present and a sign is, you must stop/yield at or before the sign-same goes for traffic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

Not a poor roadsign, but an interesting (and a bit scary) sign I saw in rural Merseyside.

DSC00334.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Finally I remembered to snap a pic of the worst roadsign in Cork.

Take a look at this bag of tricks. Patched and modified due to the Ballincollig bypass opening a few years ago, this disgrace of a signpost just hasnt been replaced. Its been added to. It'll come down when they do the Sarsfield/Bandon scheme, but thats not for a few years.

Apologies for the bad pic, the one day I remember to bring the camera, the traffic isnt backed up to the sign :(

IMG_7040.jpg

If anyone has time, make a list of the things that are wrong with it :D

Actually, Wilton here seems to have some legitimacy - it isn't bi-lingual.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

That signpost is a disgrace!!!

The Wilton thing isn't the worse of the problem. Wilton is I am sure an English name. Italic text is meant to be used on its own like that for Irish-only names, ie like Dun Laoghaire or Port Laoise (so close to the English version Portlaoise that they are never meant to be signed together). If there is no Irish for it it should be in all caps AFAIK. I've seen them do the same with Tivoli which I am pretty sure is not an Irish name, and up here in Dublin with Marino which also has no Irish name for it. Personally I would put all names that are in only one langauge (whether English or Irish) in non-italic mixed case.

The patching is horrible. I take it Killarney was originally signed right but has been patched over and added to the straight on destination? Patching is meant to be used for minor changes not a major change to the sign like that. And if that's the case, and the only destination to be reached right is Wilton, why is the N71 still signed right. The number of the R-road to reach Wilton should have been patched over it too, if they were going to create this travesty. Come to think of it why did the original sign put N71 in brackets for straight on AND sign it right.

Cork County Council badly need to replace the sign...

One (right) would be the N71 to Cork and the other would be the N71 to Killarney via west Cork (straight and then left). :)

http://www.transport.ie/upload/general/7616-0.pdf
    N71 Victoria Cross, Cork - Killarney, County Kerry

Between its junction with N22 at Victoria Cross in the city of Cork and its junction with N25 at South Ring in the county of Cork via Victoria Cross, Wilton Road and Sarsfield Road in the city of Cork

and

between its junction with N25 at Ardarostig in the county of Cork and its junction with N72 at Doctor Hans Liebher Road in the town of Killarney via Bandon Road in the city of Cork: Ballinvrinsig, Crow's Cross, Rearour, Barrettshill and Ballyheedy; Main Street at Innishannon; Curranure; Glasslinn Road, Relief Road, Cloghmacsimon, Relief Road, Kilbrittan Road, Brewery Bridge and Clancool Road in the town of Bandon; Oldchapel Bypass, Knockaveale Wood, Pedlar's Cross, Ballinascarthy Bridge, Carrig and Gallanes in the county of Cork: Convent Road, Facksbridge, Croppy Road, Clarke Street, Casement Street, Lambe Street Lower, Bog Road and Miles in the town of Clonakilty: Ballyduvane, Tulligee, Burgatia Cross, Ross Bridge; Newtown at Rosscarbery; Connonagh, Leap Derryleigh Cross and Gortnaclohy Cross in the county of Cork: Cork Road, New Ilen River Bridge and Marsh in the town of Skibbereen: Rossnagoose, Church Cross, Knockroe, Derrycarhoon, Letterlickey Bridge, Keilnascarta and Ardyhoolihane; The Quay, Wolfe Tone Square, Marino Street and Glengarriff Road in the town of Bantry; Donemark Bridge, Ballylickey Bridge, Snave Bridge, Derrycreigh, Reenmeen Bridge, Glengarriff, Crossterry Bridge and Lyre in the county of Cork: Releagh Bridge, Dromanassig, Mucksna; Lansdowne Bridge, Henry Street (and via Main Street and Shelburne Street) at Kenmare; Gortamullin, Sahaleen Bridge, Moll's Gap, Galway's Bridge, Torc and Castlelough in the county of Kerry: Flesk Bridge, Flesk Road, Muckross Road, The Haha, Mission Road and Port Road in the town of Killarney.

• Advertisement

That sign is sh!te.....BUT it shows me that Cork at least makes a good attempt at keeping information presented to road users up to date when changes are made to the network. Patching on signs in Ireland is relatively rare, which is strange given the many changes to our roads in recent years.

From the pics I've seen (more than any personal experience) Cork is one of the best places for signage (it's still not 'good' but better than most!)

Yeah in most parts of Cork (on the main roads anyway) its FAIRLY clear, but it sure as hell isnt whats said in the TSM :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bump

Pat Kenny is reading out a stack of e-mails about this topic, including story about some poor couple who got lead off the M50 at an exit to some village/suburb I think and got lost as they tried to reach the airport. The reason for the diversion? A section was closed for fitting signposting.

Mike.

One has to ask..........what is the dept. of transport doing in all this? In the UK the MoT clamps down HARD on roads authorities (including the Highways Agency) who fall foul of the rules. Our muppets are paid for what exactly? :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Pat Kenny is following up on the road signage item right now!

Rovi wrote: »
    Pat Kenny is following up on the road signage item right now!

Right so, I'm going to email him/his researcher about the Traffic Signs Manual and ask them to get someone on from the DoT/DoELG/NRA to answer as to why it's almost completely ignored.

Can do no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭jrar

Here's another few examples of poor signage in around the N3 in D15

001 - damaged sign having been hit several times by the looks of things and may very well be years before anyone thinks to replace it

002 - on the N3 northbound before the Clonee junction - I'm wondering could they not have made it a little smaller !?!

003 - Plain misleading - it suggests that the left turn at the top of the off-slip at the above junction takes you to housing estates only (full of info. aren't they !!) whereas in fact it leads one to a distributor road which leads to Ongar/Clonsilla with options to Lucan or Blanchardstown plus a couple of thousand houses in the various estates off this road

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Apart from the stupidity of signing "Housing Estates" there are a multitude of other wrong things with that sign on the Dublin side of Clonee, not least is its positioning - it is AT the junction, but this is an ADS and should have been positioned well before the junction. It and a number of the other signs on that flyover are a lot smaller than they should be.

That first sign you posted in Blanchardstown is one of a number of odd things at that junction. At the top of the slip road there is a black-on-white sign signing Navan, Cavan, and I think Dunboyne but there is no mention of "N3" or the fact that this slip road leads inescapably to a national road - not a hint of green whatsoever! Its also the wrong type of sign - a flag sign should have been used here.

All the signage around here is a bloody mess.

001: Apart from being twisted it's 'designed' completely incorrectly. Navan sould be in a green panel with N3. M50 should of course be (M50) but it should be in a blue patch on a green panel along with (N3) and Dublin. However according to new rules (to be duly ignored of course) the straight ahead could be just N3 with no parantheses as the length of the link road(s) is(are) less than (I think 100m). Of course the most glaring omission is that this is actually the R121 and as such the straight ahead destination should indicate this!

002: What the hell is that? Simply should not be there.

003: As mentioned-wrong sign type to place in the junction. Should be placed in advance of the junction and chevron type flag signs should be used in the junction. If they must use bilingual then do it properly and translate everything. I know all these junctions well and the signage is universally abysmal. Welcome to Fingal-the fastest growing county in Ireland. The Co Co should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

• Advertisement

Coming from Glanmire towards Glounthaune on the old N25 (not sure what the R number is now), there are two signs, ~200m apart for the same roundabout.

One says Rosslare straight up, the other says Rosslare turn right.

Now both are correct, you can get to Rosslare both ways. Better way is to go right to get to the current N25 DC.

We wont mention the lack of patching or green for N25 either :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement