Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Eye Surgery

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mhiceal

:):):) i had laser eye surgery in optilase . found them brilliant and wud recommend this place to anyone contemplating about getting the surgery!The aftercare is brilliant couldnt thank optilase more!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Mhiceal wrote:
    :):):) i had laser eye surgery in optilase . found them brilliant and wud recommend this place to anyone contemplating about getting the surgery!The aftercare is brilliant couldnt thank optilase more!
    Did you get the two eyes done at the same time or did you wait between them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭slipss

micmclo wrote:
    Word of warning. Take the rest of the day off work. They dilate your pupils with eye drops which lasts for several hours. This means you can't focus on close items. I was trying to text a mate on Henry Street and couldn't even read my mobile screen.

Yeah I definatley agree with this, take the rest of the day off work and bring sunglasses with you. When I got the tests done it was at 12 O clock and it was a real sunny day. I could barely open my eyes, even squinting and looking directly at the ground it felt like I was starring into the sun. I kind of shaded my eyes with my hand, squinted, and kept my eyes down and tried to make my way back to eden quay.

After about 10 mins of this I was only at graffton street, but luckily some young one stoped me and asked me if I needed help (I think she thought I was blind or something). I told her about the tests and she walked me all the way to the bus stop and then said she had nothing better to do so she volunteered get the bus to Tallaght with me (i really didn't think there was people like that still left in dublin). The whole time I was with her I hadn't even been able to see her face my eyes were so sensitive. I asked her if she wanted to come back to my house and I'd get her a drink and ring her a taxi back to town and she said ok.

My eyes were starting to feel better by the time we got back to my house, so I opened them fully when we got indoors. I was sure this girl was going to be really ugly or something, because she had come all the way from town with me, just because I needed her help and we had got on so well on the bus home. I just couldn't see her being beutifull aswell - I'm just not that lucky. But the minute my eyes adjusted and I seen her face I was completely amazed - she was such a stunner. Honestly she was the best looking girl my age I'd ever seen in real life.

Well any ways long story short, we ended up getting together and moving in with each other and the next couple of months were easily the happiest time of my life. Of course by the third month everything went to sh1t. This is the usuall pattern my life follows. We were too similar I think, we ended up having a few massive fights because niether of us would ever back down and then one day I ended up saying some really ****ing horrible things to her and walked out of the flat. When I got back she had packed up and moved out and left a note saying "love really is blind". I never found out where she went and never saw her again. Well I'm a ****ing stupid idiot.

Sorry that was so off topic, just hadn't thought about her lately.

Liz on the long shot you happen to be on boards and read this, I ****ing love ye babe

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

slipss wrote:
    Yeah I definatley agree with this, take the rest of the day off work and bring sunglasses with you. When I got the tests done it was at 12 O clock and it was a real sunny day. I could barely open my eyes, even squinting and looking directly at the ground it felt like I was starring into the sun. I kind of shaded my eyes with my hand, squinted, and kept my eyes down and tried to make my way back to eden quay.

After about 10 mins of this I was only at graffton street, but luckily some young one stoped me and asked me if I needed help (I think she thought I was blind or something). I told her about the tests and she walked me all the way to the bus stop and then said she had nothing better to do so she volunteered get the bus to Tallaght with me (i really didn't think there was people like that still left in dublin). The whole time I was with her I hadn't even been able to see her face my eyes were so sensitive. I asked her if she wanted to come back to my house and I'd get her a drink and ring her a taxi back to town and she said ok.

My eyes were starting to feel better by the time we got back to my house, so I opened them fully when we got indoors. I was sure this girl was going to be really ugly or something, because she had come all the way from town with me, just because I needed her help and we had got on so well on the bus home. I just couldn't see her being beutifull aswell - I'm just not that lucky. But the minute my eyes adjusted and I seen her face I was completely amazed - she was such a stunner. Honestly she was the best looking girl my age I'd ever seen in real life.

Well any ways long story short, we ended up getting together and moving in with each other and the next couple of months were easily the happiest time of my life. Of course by the third month everything went to sh1t. This is the usuall pattern my life follows. We were too similar I think, we ended up having a few massive fights because niether of us would ever back down and then one day I ended up saying some really ****ing horrible things to her and walked out of the flat. When I got back she had packed up and moved out and left a note saying "love really is blind". I never found out where she went and never saw her again. Well I'm a ****ing stupid idiot.

Sorry that was so off topic, just hadn't thought about her lately.

Liz on the long shot you happen to be on boards and read this, I ****ing love ye babe

nice story :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭Nala

I'd love to get it done but I've heard your prescription needs to have stabilised. Mine is different every time I get tested. Also i've heard that at 20 i'm too young.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mhiceal

hi john!i got two eyes done at the same time!I would advise getting both done at same time as i would think it would be a bit of a hassle getting it at different times!!i got the wavefront procedure done which i would recommend to get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Martly

Im thinking of getting it doen in the Optilase clinic also..My eyesight is -5.00 each eye and would really love to wake up in the morning and be able to see without my glasses..From what ive heard from friends who have had it done they say its fantastic...I have to book my consultation soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭toffeapple

Bloke in the pub told me a story about his brothers friends neighbour who had laser eye surgery..when he was getting it done he was bitten by a daddy long legs and his arms turned into a set of wings and he kept walking into walls and being attracted to lights...dont know how true this is but be careful..if movies have thought us anything its that when theres lasers or radioactive stuff involved things can go horribly wrong

Mhiceal wrote:
    hi john!i got two eyes done at the same time!I would advise getting both done at same time as i would think it would be a bit of a hassle getting it at different times!!i got the wavefront procedure done which i would recommend to get!
    I would like to get both done on the same day but I dont think its worth the risk. Although very unlikely, there is a chance of something going wrong and if I do both on the same day that means both eyes are ****ed. If I leave even a week between them, at least I'd have one eye that at worst will be like it is now. I think that's worth a bit of hassle to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Had Lasek on both eyes in Optilase yesterday.
    I wanted to do Lasik but I wasn't suitable. Lasek has another advantage in that if my eyesight adjusts over the next few months the surgeon will be able to do an enhancment procedure

Found the staff in Optilase brilliant, especially the French nurse who was incredibly friendly and put me at ease.

The surgury itself went prettly quickly. It was painless but its not something I'd like to do again.

Had to get a taxi home and spent the rest of the day resting. Woke up this morning and Wow, I could actually see incredibly well. I wouldn't say its 20:20 but it should settle over the next few days.

Do my eyesight test on Saturday so I'll see how it goes. Was advised to wear sunglasses when I'm outside and got lots of strange looks around Dublin today since it was pretty overcast and must have looked it weird.

Considering I started wearing glasses at 11 years old it the best thing I ever did. Can't recommend Optilase enough

Anyone else on boards getting this done?

• Advertisement

I had my first assessment with them at the start of February but I haven’t been back to see the surgeon yet. I was told after the assessment said I’m suitable for both but I’m leaning towards the Lasek. It does take longer to recover (1wk rather than 2 days) but I like the sound of it more than the Lasik. What was your vision like yesterday in the hours after the surgery? I’d be very interested to hear how you get on during the next week.

John.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

how much did the optilase cost you, im thinking about it but their site didnt have prices and they didnt reply to my questions

mawk wrote:
    how much did the optilase cost you, im thinking about it but their site didnt have prices and they didnt reply to my questions

Optilase offers Lasik and Lasek premier treatments from €995 per eye. We provide wavefront-guided Custom-vue procedures for €1500 per eye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Saintly

I had Lasek surgery last year in Belfast with Optical Express. I have absolutely no regrets, it has made a huge difference to my life. Three colleagues from work also got it done there, no probs with any of us.

I didn't find the procedure particularly enjoyable, no pain but there is a discomfort and some very strange sensations in your eye. Nothing to worry about though. Lasek requires a longer recovery and in my case, it really was three weeks before my eyes began to settle (didn't drive for 2 and a half weeks post op -this varies from person to person but I wasn't prepared for that delay), takes a while for your eyes to heal but big improvements occur every day. Read around, inform yourself. I took Vitamin C and Arnica before and after surgery, it supposedly improves healing powers.

Yes, there are risks (When I began wearing contact lens, I was supplied with a full lists of risks then too!), that can occur to a minority of people - go to a reputable organisation, Optical Express refused to consider me for Lasik, as my corneas were too thin, (the Mater were quite happy for me to choose either option). Google the surgeon, make sure he is experienced in the option you choose. And then just take the Valium they give you and enjoy your new vision!!

BTW, Dublin clinics are offering great deals now, stay local if you can, if I was going to make a choice now, I would stick with a Dublin clinic rather than Belfast, from a practical point of view.

Saintly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

Im a -3 and have wanted to do this for ages. Im really interested in this new 'wavefront' as someone said it improves night vision. Even with my contacts in I feel my night vision is not great so that sounds very good. I know people who have had the lasik/lasek in Blackrock so Im going to see if they have wavefront. Im with BUPA but I dont care how much the opp costs being able to see properly is worth anythin gto me

Im a -3 and have wanted to do this for ages. Im really interested in this new 'wavefront' as someone said it improves night vision. Even with my contacts in I feel my night vision is not great so that sounds very good. I know people who have had the lasik/lasek in Blackrock so Im going to see if they have wavefront. Im with BUPA but I dont care how much the opp costs being able to see properly is worth anythin gto me
    If you get it done with Optilase and switch to Vivas, they will cover the €1000 required for the Wavefront. They'll only do it for Optilase though (I think!).

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i'll be getting my surgery somtime in april, in optalise.

going for the wavefront Lasik.

costs €3,000, but with tax back, and insurance cover, it should end up costing me around €850

stp wrote:
    i'll be getting my surgery somtime in april, in optalise.

going for the wavefront Lasik.

costs €3,000, but with tax back, and insurance cover, it should end up costing me around €850
    If you dont mind me asking, when did you have your first assessment?

JohnK wrote:
    If you dont mind me asking, when did you have your first assessment?

about a month ago.

I had mine on Feb 1st and still havent any form of date from them :(

• Advertisement

JohnK wrote:
    I had mine on Feb 1st and still havent any form of date from them :(

give em a call

I rang them earlier but they said they had no idea.

I wouldn't worry about it JohnK.

I rang to make an appointment for a consultation in November. Had to wait until January for this.

In my consultation I was told I was suitable but had to wait until March for the pre-op appointment.

When I got my surgury date, they phoned me 3 times asking would I put my appointment back. Possibly, they overbooked as there were loads of people there on the day. I said no way as I'd be waiting since November

I waited close to 5 months so don't worry they will get back to you. Maybe not anytime soon though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I've a friend who had one of her eyes done in one of the clinics in Dublin. The procedure went wrong and now she can only see shapes out of that eye. Needless to say, she declined to have the other one lasered

allie_e17 wrote:
    I've a friend who had one of her eyes done in one of the clinics in Dublin. The procedure went wrong and now she can only see shapes out of that eye. Needless to say, she declined to have the other one lasered

which clinic? and when?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭mise_me_fein_V2

I got it done. Paid the extra €800 for the wavefront.

No regrets.

Now I can sleep in someone else's house, or go swimming or be somewhere I didn't expect to be and not have to worry about lenses or glasses.

right, optalise got back to me, i've a pre op appointment on the 30th april.

long waits with these guys.

stp wrote:
    long waits with these guys.

I'd say they're doing huge business because of their link with Vivas Health Insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

If anyone is considering getting this done, North or South, I would strongly advise that you only use an NHS (or Irish equivalent) surgical ophthalmogy consultant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Siogfinsceal

is optilase one of those?

Advertisement