Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Eye Surgery

Options
  • 08-01-2006 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭kevinmcc

Has anyone here had laser surgery in the north. What is the service you received like? Is there much difference in cost between belfast and dublin? Have been looking at a few places in Belfast there's Optimax, Optical Express and All clear clinic. Then in Dublin I came across Wellington, Mater Private and Blackrock which have gotten good reviews so I'd be more interested in hearing about the places in Belfast. Also are you able to claim tax back if you go to the north to have it done?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭mise_me_fein_V2

I got it done in London. Was meant to go to Belfast but couldn't do it at the time.

Could have got it done in Dublin, but to get an extra thing called Wavefront Technology, I had to go to London. It'll be in Dublin next month.

I'd advise it.

Look up on LASEK, LASIK and Wavefront to know more on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

The Ophthalmic Laser Clinic (aka Allclear) in Belfast is run by Dr Gerard Kervick who is a consultant ophthalmic surgeon at the Mater Hospital in Belfast and is a big name in the field and is possibly the premier clinic in Ireland for this sort of thing. It'll probably be expensive but if it goes pear-shaped then at least you are more likely to get decent after care.

their website is http://www.qualityhealthcaregroup.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Was looking about this only last week. Seemily if you go with Vivas health insurance they will cover the costs(or part of the treatment). They are the only health insurance company in Ireland to do so at this point but they could be moving out if the Government bring in this new law that VHI want. Not sure of details but because VHI have all the older people they want BUPA/Vivas to pay extra or extra tax because they have younger people and rates are less.

They have: Cover for Optilase Wavefront Eye Laser Surgery

Patient position (includes both eyes)
    Gross Payment to Optilase €2,990.00 €2,990.00
    Rebate from VIVAS Health €1,000.00 €1,000.00
    Net after VIVAS Health Rebate €1,990.00 €1,990.00
    Patient tax rate 42% 20%
    Tax rebate to patient 835.80 398.00
    Net Cost to Patient €1,154.20 €1,592.00

I emailed these but got no reply
    http://www.eyelaserireland.com/home.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

I was thinking of getting this done, so perfect time to see (or squint at if i take off me specs) a post about it.

Here are the questions that are in my mind, i would appreciate anyone giving any advice and answering some of the questions below.

I can then make up my mind and see..:o if it would be worthwhile.
    1. How much does it cost?
    2. Is it safe?
    3. How long does it take the eye to heal?
    4. what is the waveform technology and why is it so good that i should wait?
    5. What are the waiting times for the operation?
    6. Can you claim for tax releif if you get the procedure done in NI/UK?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

RustySpoon wrote:
    1. How much does it cost?
    2. Is it safe?
    3. How long does it take the eye to heal?
    4. what is the waveform technology and why is it so good that i should wait?
    5. What are the waiting times for the operation?
    6. Can you claim for tax releif if you get the procedure done in NI/UK?

Prices above with or without insurance

http://www.eyelaserireland.com/faqs.htm for rest of questions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

You know I used to think laser eye surgery was simple and easy till I read up about it. You know they generally keep you awake and they cut your cornea open and then use a laser to do whatever it does. I am so not ever having someone come at my eyeball with a knife while I'm awake.

It's also apparently not as fail safe either as is commonly believed. Complications can easily occurr. Personally it's my belief that when it comes to something as vital to me as my eyesight wearing glasses is hardly a chore.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2745035.stm

http://www.askmen.com/sports/health_60/70_mens_health.html (good link)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

i'm thinking of having it done. i've done a bit of research online, and look at a few threads on here.

has anyone got it done in this place,
    Optilase http://www.optilase.com/index.php

this is all they have to say about their clinic,

"The Clinic
    Located at No. 19 Ely Place, the Optilase Clinic has been created from a magnificent Grade I listed 18th Century 5 story terrace building, forming this newly renovated prestigious and private medical clinic. Since the upgrading, restoration and preservation, the original Georgian features have been preserved creating a classical ambience, while being fully air conditioned and fitted to a high standard. This will ensure a more comfortable and enjoyable visit."

ok..... so they have a nice building.......

there seems to be a huge price difference between them and this wellington place, http://www.wellingtoneyeclinic.com/

why?

are the wellington crowd better?

does anyone have any experience with either of these places, or any other place in dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

I thought the title was eye laser surgery for a minute :rolleyes:

I used to dream that I had supermans eye laser power and I cut cut down trees with them. Really vivid dreams.

pfff and they said mercury thermometers were dangerous for us kids!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 sillpss

I got laser eye surgery about 8 months ago. I was a bit nervous about getting it done so researched for about 6 months. Since having it I haven't regretted it for a single second, my vision was extremely poor ( I couldn't read a newspaper that heas held a foot from my face) but since its 20/20. I have suffered no adverse problems at all, and I know it might sound a bit overly dramatic but it really has changed my life, if even in a small way.

I got it done in Optilase in Ely Place just off stevens green. This place was at the time I got it done the best value in Ireland, probably still is but you would have to check, it was much cheaper than belfast and blackrock anyways. this deosn't mean their any less capable, they provide you with the backround information on their opticians and surgeons whe you go for a consultation or by post. They all have tons of expierience and there head surgeon that actually deos the operation was head of a major optical surgery institute for years.

Just reading over that I think I should say I in no way work for or own stock in optilase, I was just really impressed with the work they do and the aftercare was amazing.

Rusty spoon questions
    1. it costs 1800 for two eyes (for lasik and lasek-the two most common types, and around 2800 for waveform)
    2.It is safe, as safe as any surgery, i personally know about 14 people that had it done and no one had any problems. The clinic is required by law to tell how many cases if any resulted in problems if you ask the straight out.
    3.It takes on average only 1-2 days with lasek and waveform and 3-4 with lasik( you have to year eye shields-kinda like goggles- for the recovery time and put a few drops in for about 2-3 weeks.
    4.the waveform technolodgy takes a kinda topographic scan of your eye and is suposed to improved night vision and things like glare and halos as well as eye sight.
    5. In optilase the waiting time from consultation to surgery was on 1 week( there aren't really any waitng lists as the surgeory only takes 10-15 mins.
    6.I am not sure about the tax relief in mainland britain or NI but I cant see any reason why they would refund tax. Maybe a chance in NI.
    They refund around 50% off the money in the Republic.

I hope all this helps every one, as for canus lupus- you honestly cannot feel a ny pain or discomfort what soever during the surgery and if you don't like the thought of them making an incision, you could have Lasek done in which they dont cut your eye at all, they just sortof brush the lens aside.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭finlma

I'm considering getting it done myself. I'm due for new health insurance so I'm going to take out a Vivas policy and get Waveform for €1800, seems like great value. My eyesight is bad (-7.0) and glasses cost €350 every 2 years and I spend around €200 a year on contacts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

did a search in another thread, and found this link

http://www.irishhealth.com/?level=4&id=4220

do a search for Optilase on the page, good indipendent feedback.

i think i'll go with them, and switch to vivas, bupa cover feck all, they don't even cover dental, or gp, for more of the cost of vivas!

anyway, if there's anyone else who's been to Optilase, let us know.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Has any boards member had any laser eye surgery done? what type n what were ur experiences?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

i got contacts in aug and had problems with them, since discovered that my eyes are sensitive, changed my solution and ive had no trouble. i would like to get laser surgery done, as i have northern health insurance, and everything is cheaper up there, i wonder how much it would cost?

finlma wrote:
    I'm considering getting it done myself. I'm due for new health insurance so I'm going to take out a Vivas policy and get Waveform for €1800, seems like great value. My eyesight is bad (-7.0) and glasses cost €350 every 2 years and I spend around €200 a year on contacts.
    my eyesight is just as bad and i'm getting it done next year but i dont want to take out a whole health insurance policy to get it done so i'l go with lasek/ laser
    BTW whats the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

stp wrote:
    has anyone got it done in this place,
    Optilase http://www.optilase.com/index.php

I've a consultation next Monday morning to see if I'm suitable.
    I'll be going for the wavefront option which cost €1500 per eye.
    However, my employer gives me free Vivas Healthcare so I can claim €1000 back.

I researched all the main places in Dublin and Belfast and am choosing Optilase due to this deal with Vivas. Obviously, you dont just go for the cheapest option but its nearly worth signing up to Vivas if you wanted laser eye surgury.

Having attended a presentation by Vivas and by doing a bit a research, they're just as good as VHI and Bupa imho.

They seem very professional and sent out a brochure about the head consultant and a booklet explaining the procedure. Had to wait two months to get a appointment.

Been wearing the glasses all week as you need to take a break from contact lenses before your consultation.

I'll let ye know how I get on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,591 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

micmclo wrote:
    I've a consultation next Monday morning to see if I'm suitable.
    I'll be going for the wavefront option which cost €1500 per eye.

I'll let ye know how I get on

Do keep us in the loop, im very curious about the wavefront option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Me too. Its a lot of money but hopefully its a case of you get what you pay for.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭StandnDeliver

yeah i made an appointment with optical express went to the clinic in london ,i had a free consultation ,they did loads of tests etc said i was suitable but had to wait for another eye exam etc.the totalcost of the 2eyes is €1,200 thats converted an all ,you can pay by credit card.they were professional and i shal defo be going me thinks.works out much cheaper than here.

my eyesight is just as bad
    how bad is -7.0 cos mine is -2.5 and thats not great??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I was just on vhi's website and they're now giving €1000 of laser eye surgery at the Wellington Clinic...

• Advertisement

how bad is -7.0 cos mine is -2.5 and thats not great??

-2.5 is not bad at all. Can you manage without glasses when walking around town. If you can, that's fairly good.

I'm -5 and -6. AFAIK around -1 is fair, -5 is moderate and -10 is very bad.

I could be wrong but -10 is legally blind without glasses or contact lenses.

Tiger Woods was -11

http://www.tlcvision.com/why_choose_tlc/famous_people/TigerToolsFactSheetCenter.pdf

:eek: really??

well i only got glasses a few years ago and only wore them for school, tv etc. i was used to being without glasses when out for example. but it helped a lot when i got contacts, that said ive only had them since aug so its only a few months that im going around perfect-visionned. obviously now i am dependent on glasses when i dont have contacts in as i am used to having perfect vision. suppose its hard to know really when i cant exactly experince having -7.0 vision :)

faceman wrote:
    Do keep us in the loop, im very curious about the wavefront option.

Did my consultation on Monday with Optilase.

It lasted about an hour.
    Firstly, there were three tests. One was focusing on a balloon in the distance. If you've ever been to Specsavers you'd have done this.
    Second was focusing on a spinning line.
    Third was taking a map of the eye. This will be used if you go for the wavefront option. The printout was very detailed and impressive to look at.
    It was explained to me that having the wavefront option gives you a 20% better chance at avoiding night glare.
    This doesn't realy apply to me as my pupils as smaller than normal.

Next I did a standard eye test. This involves 3 different eye drops.
    I then had all the procedures and problems assiocated with laser eye surgury explained to me. Once, I signed a form explaining that I understood the risks, the staff member did the eye test again.
    I was told I was suitable and have to do a pre-op appointment in March.

I thought it was very professional but am disappointed that it will be probably be late March before I get my surgury, considering I first contacted Optilase in November.

Word of warning. Take the rest of the day off work. They dilate your pupils with eye drops which lasts for several hours. This means you can't focus on close items. I was trying to text a mate on Henry Street and couldn't even read my mobile screen.

What sort of costs were they talking about?

JohnK wrote:
    What sort of costs were they talking about?

Direct from the website.

"Optilase offers Lasik and Lasek premier treatments from €995 per eye. We provide wavefront-guided Custom-vue procedures for €1500 per eye. Our package of care includes all aftercare consultations for 1 year and post-op medications. There is income tax relief available on the cost of this treatment of up to 42% of medical expenses. Refractive surgery is covered by the Garda Medical Aid Fund."

If you're with Vivas it's expecially worth it as you can claim €1000 back.

I don't pay 42% tax as I'm only on a graduate wage but I'd say for me €3000 overall with €1000 back from Vivas and a few hundred back from tax.

Considering a 3month supply of contact lenses are €52.50 it seems a good deal to me. As I said before, you don't go for the cheapest option in these situations.

Thanks micmclo.
    As I said before, you don't go for the cheapest option in these situations.
    I couldn't agree more! Did you have to pay extra for your consultation? Is that taken into account if you do go for it?

Consulatation is completly free. Hardly fair to charge you if they find you're unsuitable for laser eye surgury.

I'd say book a consultation(www.optilase.com) as you'll be waiting two months.

If you are suitable you then do a pre-op consulation with the consultant. He double-checks everything and you get to ask any questions you want.

This is free also and you can pull out at this stage as well.

If you decide to go ahead with the surgury you need to pay 50% deposit to get an appointment.

Might go ahead and do that cause I'm getting very tired of glasses. Thanks micmclo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 101 ✭✭proteus

I had a LASIK operation done to both eyes a few months ago.
    One of the best decisions I've ever made. Classic.
    No more glasses fogging up when you walk from outside into a warm room.
    No more cleaning of rain/beer spots from the lenses etc.
    I was about -3.8 in both eyes btw.

I went to the Wellington Clinic. I new two people that had gone there previously
    and they were very positive about the experience.

The various tests they go through was very organised and professional.

The operation took less than 20mins per eye. I was fully awake during the procedure and didn't find it painful at all. They explain every step of the procedure to you and what you should expect as they do it. 20mins per eye may seem rushed but I just found them very efficent during the OP.

After the OP I was quite blurry for the rest of the day but I could still make out things in the distance which I couldn't previously see with glasses and I could see well enough to move about the house easily. I wore the protective eye shells at night (in case you rub your eyes during sleep) and took the various series of drops that they provided. My eyesight settled down quite quickly over the next day or so but I did suffer halos around bright objects at night. The halos took about 3 months to really fade away but I didn't find them distracting at all.

Summing up: If you're tired of all the hassle associated with glasses or lenses, talk to friends that have had the laser OP. Go to a laser surgery and get a consultancy to see if you're suitable and get all the facts. Some places produce a free CD/dvd showing a detailed overview of the procedure which is worth watching.I had a preference for using a surgery in Dublin just in case anything went wrong but each to their own decision.

• Advertisement

I've just booked a consultation with the Optilase crowd. Hopefully all will be OK and I can get the procedure done. Now I just have to decide if I want to have both eyes done on the same day or leave one for a few weeks.

Advertisement