Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laser Eye Surgery

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Yeah i was thinking i'd see the blade and would try shut my eyes or something, would freak the **** outta me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭BKtje

Ok so its not painful, but what is it like seeing the blade or whatever coming straight toward your eye? Is it not really scary? And I know you can't move as your eyelid is held open, but what if you look up/down/sideways instead of straight ahead.... can't it cut the wrong part of your eye?
    It's not a blade as such i don't think (what they use to cut away the top layer of cells), besides you got eye drops in so everything kinda blurry so at worst you see a shape coming for you, slight sensation of pressure (though i had slight pain for a moment in one eye).

The laser itself will abort if you move your eye and re-start the sequence. Was tough for my second eye as for some reason it err, stopped working unless i really focused it and then i'd get some vision back (this is nothing to do with the laser btw, just my brain being awkward) which meant i kept moving it. Took a lot of mental effort to hold it steady.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Guys I want to get this done, just booked an appointment. Basically I want to knowif it is worth getting the wavefront one. Do you decide or do they advise which is best.

Do they try to "Up Sell" you to the more expensive surgeries, or only if they are necessary.

It is your eyes and I'd be more comfprtable getting the best one possible. I don't want to regret it if I do get glaring etc etc

Any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭K2

Hi Zascar
    I had it done last friday (Lasik). It went perfect, no pain at all only minor discomfort and you cannot see any blades coming at ya! Your vision will be quite blurred from all the eye drops (remember they put a clamp on the eye to prevent you blinking and they keep the eye wet with eye drops all the time - and no that clamp doesnt hurt at all). I needed wavefront on one eye but you have to have it done on both......but was only charged for one eye. The practice was Orbit and Dr Takis is very good, very reassuring, takes lots of time to explain everything, even the simple stuff like how to put in eye drops properly. (remember that the wavefront is an extra laser treatment which is used to correct the back of the eye and prevent problems like night glare and halos around lights so its money well spent. my advice would be, if its recommended then get it done)

My only regret is not getting it done 10 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I had a consultation last week with optical express.

Ad says it starts at 595 per eye but was expecting some form of being sold up to something stronger, apparently despite my reasonable prescription, I have large pupils so need wavefront coming in at 3000 euro.

Curses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

I don't think anyone should expect to get a procedure for the minimal price some places advertise. And as it's your eyesight, nor can I understand why anyone would want to. Why would you rather pay €500 for the most basic procedure possible when you could avail of the latest technology, albeit at a higher price ?

Jip wrote: »
    Why would you rather pay €500 for the most basic procedure possible when you could avail of the latest technology, albeit at a higher price ?

You don't.

It states on the advert "from 595 per eye"

It's clearly stated by them that it starts from that price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Yes, I know it says 'starting from.....' but why would someone be drawn by such an advertisement if they're aware of the different procedures. Maybe that's the problem, they're not aware.

Well then they should be aware of the golden words "starting from".

I just went in out of curiosity, I was fully aware that it would be more expensive than the "starting from" price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

I've heard some pretty bad things about optical express, anyone use them? Or can anyone recommend another clinic?

S.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭Beau

Getting Lasek done on one eye tomorrow.

really worried now though because I wore my contacts for one hour and a half the day before my consultation! I didnt say anything during the consultation, I really hope it isnt a big deal. I'll let them know tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭*Derek*

I've heard some pretty bad things about optical express, anyone use them? Or can anyone recommend another clinic?

S.

I had lasereye surgery done with them last september and found them excellent. I haven't looked back since.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Was this thread not moved?

There's a forum for this sort of thing now.
    I understand that some of you may not have seen it though.

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1012

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

Highly Recommended!

I got it done in April!

I did it with Optical express and i would say to everyone get it done. It is still weird being able to wake up and see without fumbling for glasses.

If you get it done i recommend you go to sleep for about 4 hours after it and when i did that and woke up i had perfect eyesight :D

Procedure i got was Wavefront with Lasik

THe whole procedure took about ten minutes

I went in and they put eye drops in my eye then with the laser they cut the flap of the eye.

Put in a thing to stop me blinking then placed me under laser about 45seconds under that and job done!

Bit uncomfortable after it but sleeping cures that

Three different eye drops for a week wear goggles to bed for a week to stop you rubbing your eyes in your sleep

Then after the week carry one on if your eyes are dry

If you have any questions pm me and i will answer them

Cost me about €3400 thats the sucky part and i went through optical express Belfast but it is the same surgeons as the Dublin office :)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

miceal wrote: »
    Highly Recommended!

I got it done in April!

I did it with Optical express and i would say to everyone get it done. It is still weird being able to wake up and see without fumbling for glasses.

If you get it done i recommend you go to sleep for about 4 hours after it and when i did that and woke up i had perfect eyesight :D

Procedure i got was Wavefront with Lasik

THe whole procedure took about ten minutes

I went in and they put eye drops in my eye then with the laser they cut the flap of the eye.

Put in a thing to stop me blinking then placed me under laser about 45seconds under that and job done!

Bit uncomfortable after it but sleeping cures that

Three different eye drops for a week wear goggles to bed for a week to stop you rubbing your eyes in your sleep

Then after the week carry one on if your eyes are dry

If you have any questions pm me and i will answer them

Cost me about €3400 thats the sucky part and i went through optical express Belfast but it is the same surgeons as the Dublin office :)
    Is it really that good?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

Terry wrote: »

Yes it is really that good. I play a lot of sport so it stops me fooling around with contacts and that!

Advertisement