Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unused Argos voucher

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

WRONG! At any point the business can null and void the voucher at any time! This is in the terms and conditions and has legal backing. It doesn't really happen that way normally current vouchers are used as in most cases with expiration.

So if I have a voucher and I don't use it for say one and a half years, I go into the shop and they refuse to recognise it, I have the recepit for the voucher and take them to the small claims court, are you saying I would lose the case? On what basis do you think the court would rule against me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

rubadub wrote:
    I dont see why they all do not just announce that you are getting nothing for your voucher so, that would be the best business practise according to your logic. I mean people bad mouthing or praising businesses does nothing to sales according to your magical figures.
    Nothing magical about apathy. We don't do it much here but rebate coupons rely on the same thing. So it is close to taking money off people that can have.
    AS just taking money would generate money it wouldn't work asa bussiness model. I gues you think be sarcastic proves your point but to me it just shows you have no valid arguement.
    It doesn't matter what you think as you will do nothing about it and it won't change. Maybe you won't buy a voucher in one store over another but will that even be noticable. Conveniece makes more sales than customer service. Look at all the people going to stores they don't like or happy with.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054873498

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

AS just taking money would generate money it wouldn't work asa bussiness model.
    Not sure what you mean by this. If HMV were to refuse all vouchers that are out there they would make money yes? and since expiry dates do not matter to customers and goodwill and bad press have no effect on sales it makes good business sense to do this. They would loose no future business or customers by refusing to accept vouchers so why do they not do this.
    I gues you think be sarcastic proves your point but to me it just shows you have no valid arguement.
    I was not being sarcastic, on reading your posts that is the logical thing to do. The fact that you thought I was being sarcastic says a lot about your own previous statements.

Conveniece makes more sales than customer service. Look at all the people going to stores they don't like or happy with.
    I would regard convenience as part of customer service.

rubadub wrote:
    Not sure what you mean by this. If HMV were to refuse all vouchers that are out there they would make money yes? and since expiry dates do not matter to customers and goodwill and bad press have no effect on sales it makes good business sense to do this. They would loose no future business or customers by refusing to accept vouchers so why do they not do this.
    That would have an obvious determental effect on the trade and publicity would not be good. That is is obvious to everybody except morons. I never said customer service wasn't important just the levels based on people bothered by expiry dates makes no difference. Joe Duffy did a big series of shows on expirey dates on Vouchers4you. AS I know they people in the company I was surprised that all of that publicity actually increased sales.
    rubadub wrote:
    I was not being sarcastic, on reading your posts that is the logical thing to do. The fact that you thought I was being sarcastic says a lot about your own previous statements.

I find people who make up hypothetical situation that don't really have any bearing on reality and then make up another ludicrious situation are being sarcastic. As you claim not to be I will go with the other opinion I have you. My view of what you say doesn't really effect what I say and reality.
    rubadub wrote:
    I would regard convenience as part of customer service.
    Convenience of location has nothing really to do with customer service. Agin I point out your views on how retail works is becasue that is what they want you to believe . Somebody has weighed up customer objection to money made and fraud risks, they decided to go with expiration dates. Increase the number of people who agree with you and march on the stores. Now as most people see it as fair I guess you will not get much of a crowd.
    I no interest in dealing with you anymore as to you your outrage about what you don't like overrides any sense and reality. You are simply in the minority and the law does not agree with. A pathetic attempt at debate can only be seen as trolling by you now.

Now as most people see it as fair I guess you will not get much of a crowd.

I think the real reason you would not get much of a crowd is because people in this country could not be arsed protesting about any issue really no matter how strongly they feel about it. Take pubs for example, most people think the price of a pint is too expensive but they are never going to do anything about it.
    You are simply in the minority and the law does not agree with.

There you go about the law again, what has that got to do with anything? I don't think he is in the minority, I just think most people can't be arsed. If you stuck a poll up here with the title "Do you think a one year expiry date on a gift voucher is fair" I think it would be a close contest.

I think the real reason you would not get much of a crowd is because people in this country could not be arsed protesting about any issue really no matter how strongly they feel about it. Take pubs for example, most people think the price of a pint is too expensive but they are never going to do anything about it.
    Well you aren't even getting people to agree with the view on national radio I think that will be a bigger issue

There you go about the law again, what has that got to do with anything? I don't think he is in the minority, I just think most people can't be arsed. If you stuck a poll up here with the title "Do you think a one year expiry date on a gift voucher is fair" I think it would be a close contest.

First off I said minority of the view FIRST and THEN the llaw. Asi i have already explained the law is measure of what is seen fair. It is very very very important in gauging what is seen to be fair in a culture. Before you ream of loads of injustices it is designed to asses and be fair. Expiry dates are by no a questionable legal issue or issue of fairness.

That's it no question or debate from me you can bleat on about what ever you like but again you are seen as the minority being unreasonable and the law says you are wrong. The law counts and the customer service problem you think exists doesn't and while a company in this country went on national radio about this sales increased.

Good bye and good luck being unreasonable with reasonable policies. As general policies go you would be asked to leave the store after not accepting the companies decision or policy at this point.

I would also like to point out Helter that I answer questions put to me and explain the logic. you however avoid questions and can't answer in logic.

That's it no question or debate from me you can bleat on about what ever you like but again you are seen as the minority being unreasonable and the law says you are wrong. The law counts and the customer service problem you think exists doesn't and while a company in this country went on national radio about this sales increased.

Ok ok, sorry MorningStar, I must have been wrong all along. Sorry for even having an opinion (different to your definitive one)

Seeing as you've decided to "point out" things about me I would like to point out that I think you are a troll. I have been looking at some of your many posts on boards and you spend most of your time arguing with people, starting fights and never backing down. You go about picking holes in whatever people say, dragging it on from thread to thread and fishing for reasons to attack people . I think you do it just to wind people up. I am going to add you to my ignore list because I don't really want to read your shít stirring anymore.

Have a nice day.

(BTW, I will respond to your post on insurance when I have time)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

That would have an obvious determental effect on the trade and publicity would not be good. That is is obvious to everybody except morons.
    Yes, but in your mind it is still inconceivable that there could even be the slightest detrimental effect on trade if they refused vouchers after a year, after a customer never read the fine print on the voucher.

don't really have any bearing on reality and then make up another ludicrious situation are being sarcastic..
    eh in reality some vouchers do have expiry dates and some do not (yeah yeah trot out the same crap about they all can expire). I only said for the same shop to stop you saying you would pick the voucher for your preferred shop if offered the 2. I predicted that you would weasel out of answering the question and tried to make it hard for you to do so. But yet again you trotted out the same crap and never answered the very simple question.

If you won some competition and were offered the choice of a holiday voucher for €1000 that expired in 30 days or one that expired in 10 years which would you take and why?
    Somebody has weighed up customer objection to money made and fraud risks, they decided to go with expiration dates.
    YES! and vice versa

I no interest in dealing with you anymore as to you your outrage about what you don't like overrides any sense and reality. You are simply in the minority and the law does not agree with. A pathetic attempt at debate can only be seen as trolling by you now.
    Yeah I am really outraged :rolleyes: back with the law thing again trot trot trot, you're the one trolling with your laughable put downs and condescending remarks. I had to check some of your posts to see it was you writing them, some could easily have been taken up as another poster making sarcastic remarks about your own self righteousness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

I guess I'm risking recommencing the flame war by dragging this one up again! Just a note of caution for anyone who has a gift card (electronic gift token) from the Sony Centres in Dublin. Apparently, these gift cards expire after 12 months, even though there is no mention of this on the cards or the wallets. They kept me waiting in Dundrum for 20 minutes while they tried to process their card through their redemption system. When they came back telling me that it was expired, I kicked up a fair old fuss, and they gave me credit for the token.

if you have Sony Centre gift cards, use them within 12 months or expect to have to kick up a fuss.

• Advertisement
Advertisement