Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Wicklow - filthy & always out of stock

Options
  • 11-01-2006 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Has anyone else noticed that Tesco Wicklow is always out of stock and has to be one of the most filthiest stores in this country. A couple of weeks ago I wrote the following email to Tesco ...

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am writing to you in connection with the Tesco Wickow store. As a resident
    of Wicklow town I regularly use the Wicklow store. Unfortunately I have to
    admit my frustration grows with each returning visit to Tesco Wicklow. At
    this stage I have turned a blind eye to the fact that it's one of the
    dirtiest stores I have ever shopped in, a comment which is also shared by a
    number of my neighbours and friends in the Wicklow area.

On using the store tonight I was astonished to find that there was hardly
    anything for sale in your vegetable department. Let me just reiterate that
    there was none of the following items...

No tomatoes
    No salads
    No strawberries
    No mushrooms

And these are only the items that I was shopping for!! I think at this point
    it's worth pointing out the defenition of the word 'store'

1 - A place where merchandise is offered for sale
    2 - A stock or supply reserved for future use
    3 - A place where commodities are kept

This is not a once off occurrence thus my reason for going out of my way to
    submit this email. I have to admit my ever increasing trips from Wicklow to
    Dunne Stores Cornelscourt (a distance of 24 miles) really does enforce the
    vast gulf of quality that exists between Dunnes and Tesco. Given I have not
    witnessed any improvment since moving to the Wicklow area over 3 years ago I have little hope that this email will have any impact (unfortunately).

Regards,
    Disgruntled
    ======================================================

I then received the following response ...

Subject: Re: Tesco Wicklow

Thank you for taking the time to contact us.
    I am sorry that you have found cause to complain about our Wicklow branch.
    I will certainly pass a copy of this to our Management team in the store for them to address the issues you have raised.
    Once again thank you for your time.
    Regards

Customer Service Manager
    Tesco Ireland
    ======================================================

Since then nothing has changed, if anything it's got worse!! Has anyone else noticed this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 eirestar

I have never been to that particular store, but it couldn't be much worse than the ghetto Tesco in Sandymount. That place is a total craphole - really cramped, always out of stock on basic things like chicken or bread, and dirty. Ugh.

Tesco in the Merrion Centre is a good bit better, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Same thing happened to Tesco (Old) Dundrum when the new Tesco opened in the Town Centre. Never had anything in stock. Used to have big spaces with nothing there. Of course it's closing down now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Tesco in Ballymun is the same!

I got that some stock reply whne i complained.
    It seems that some stores are run incompetantly.

Luckity there are 2 decent tesco's near enough .. but still.

x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Don't forget Tesco bought over the Quinnsworth/Crazy Prices chain.
    I think you will find that the stores that are most often compalined about are the ex Crazy Prices stores which were always the poor relation. Nothing has changed except the name on the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 688 ✭✭✭skye

I was just talking to someone about this yesterday...the Wicklow store is a disgrace - as the OP says it's filthy and sorely understocked. I have since stopped shopping there as I end up having to go elsewhere to finish it off - can't understand what is wrong in this store as others I have been to are great - maybe it's a management problem - even some of the checkout staff are less than nice - often sit and chat instead of serving, one even swore in front of me while chatting to her friend, couldn't believe it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 doodles

If you live in WIcklow town you are better off ordering online (which gets shipped from Greystones !!) - you have a better chance of getting what you need. The Wicklow store is a disgrace, the staff are a terrible and shopping is like a lottery in terms of getting what you need.

Also, I am regularly overcharged in that store. Always check your receipt and make sure you get the discounts you are supposed to, very often you wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 doodles

Actually let me make a slight correction to my last post regarding the quality of the Staff. I should have said "The Irish staff are terrible" - the staff on late at night (pretty much all of Eastern European extraction) are incredibly friendly and helpful. Still doesn't solve the stock problem though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

i have the same probs with tesco in phibsboro and drumcondra,clearwater is ok . they have so much of the market they feel they dont have to try as irish people dont complain etc. they are always out of stock of something you want and i have found many out of date products on shelves

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

Only one thing you can do that will have effect. Don't buy in them. The cost saving supply chain they you is about profit and not choice. THe types of fruit and veg breds they use are specially selected for shelf life, apperance and durability to shipping. Note taste and health benifits aren't in there.
    The letter is a good start but uses terms and principles that do not match up to how the business works. You need to address them in terms they respect and they know are a danger.
    For everybody I suggest you spend a week trying local alternatives such as your local butcher,bakery and fuit and veg shop. You might find your food tastes better better value for moany and it is a lot less hassle than you think.
    Tesco actively like people to be lazy and make you think that they are the most convenient but as they don't keep stock how are they? Don't forget the mass of packing you have to deal with that comes directly from them.
    The power is in you hands

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ferale

Well me and my fiance use somethimes to shop in Tesco Clarehall. Open last year, and was told that the shop was brillo.

We we arrived there first time, we vere dissapointed. Food was crap, no fresh bread, and fruit and veg.
    Unfriendly staff, young people that does msitake, and does not know customer service at all. Not only irish, but foreign as well. (do you find irish people working in stor theese days ??, well not many in Swords area anyway...).

We left the trolley on the middle of floor, and just left when they was out normla cheddar cheese, which i believe is common in this country....

We went to Dunnes and got a great shopping there, with all good in stock, and great value as well...

After this episode we dont usually shop in tesco anymore, but just go in for the trip, or browse....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DigiMarc

I always found that Super Value in Wicklow tends to be much better. Not as much choice but is normally clean and they normally have plenty of stock

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I'm surprised you emailed and complained.
    Have you no other decent alternative / competition?
    Your complaint is a sign of brand loyalty (although you mightn't think it) and it should have been taken as a huge point by Tesco... as they have just had a non-paid source of quality control tell them why certain customers are disgruntled.

If I was in that situation, I'd simply not complain and never go back... and tell my friends and family to do likewise.
    (By the way, I'd advise everyone to read "The Customer is King" by ex Superquinn head Fergal Quinn). ;)

As another poster mentioned, Tesco in Dundrum was the same before the Dundrum store opened. I just took my business to Supervalue and Superquinn instead.

whiskeyman wrote:
    (By the way, I'd advise everyone to read "The Customer is King" by ex Superquinn head Fergal Quinn). ;)

Superquinn was sold to property developers so that probably won't last. I have all the big chains very close to me but also have older style shops as close.

I found the quality better and it is just as easy to shop in them. I found prices better for most things. I still need some things from big chains but it is limited.

How a 24 hour shop can't keep stocked isn't a staffing issue but s supply method. They most likely reduced waste and found no difference in sales so their is no reason for them to change.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

doodles wrote:
    If you live in WIcklow town you are better off ordering online (which gets shipped from Greystones !!) - you have a better chance of getting what you need. The Wicklow store is a disgrace, the staff are a terrible and shopping is like a lottery in terms of getting what you need.

Also, I am regularly overcharged in that store. Always check your receipt and make sure you get the discounts you are supposed to, very often you wont.
    you must be joking Greystones Tesco is worse than the one in wicklow,it is always out of products I need so end up going to Bray Tesco which I think is the best out of all of them.Has anyone actually looked at the dirt and filth on the shelves especially where all the fizzy drinks are??Stomach turning stuff.I actually complained to the enviromental health dept. who said that theywould investigate.Aweek later the place was cleaned up but that was months ago now its back to the same state.I love superquinn a bit more expensive but for cleanliless and customer care its great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 tooley

I see our friends in the UK have the same problem...

"My local TESCO is a mess, very dirty, and the service is appaling."

http://boards.thisismoney.co.uk/tim/threadInd.jsp?forum=85&message=76058&thread=62533&start=0&msRange=15

• Registered Users Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

i agree with the op,i live in the the area and it is pretty bad,i just go to super value instead

It's worth checking out George Monbiot blogs on supermarkets http://www.monbiot.com/archives/category/supermarkets/ the Bad News from Tesco makes for a good read see here

With turnovers increasing year after year do you think tesco care? Not a chance, hopefully people will do the talking with their feet and shop elsewhere. As soon as the replies die down I intend mailing this thread to Tesco Customer Support and see what response I get this time :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Tesco in Maynooth is pretty good I think.

Are there no Lidl or Aldi near you, they seem to be everywhere! And possibly cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Bettyboop

tooley wrote:
    With turnovers increasing year after year do you think tesco care? Not a chance, hopefully people will do the talking with their feet and shop elsewhere. As soon as the replies die down I intend mailing this thread to Tesco Customer Support and see what response I get this time :rolleyes:
    good idea;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Sudsy

I have been going to tesco in wicklow for years now, and i would have to agree, it is almost a daily visit as if you go at the weekend, for a weekly shop, the big problem is there that there is no stock! we can see this mostly over the xmas season, as we have always ended up going the extra miles to dunnes.
    Regarding the staff issue, and the stocking problems, if you were to go to the store now, you would see a big sign on the door "STAFF WANTED" :)
    i enquired about the jobs after seeing this post and yes they are mainly looking for stocking staff!
    Maybe, they did get a copy of the orriginal email and are acting on it!

The fact only people see other big chains as offering competition is really worrying. The alternative is there in most areas already. Fruit and veg shops, bakers, butchers etc... are generally better value than supermarkets.

People will loose this alternative if they don't support it. Try it for a week and see if you feel better and actually how bad the quality you are getting is.

Ready meals and prepacked meat are not only expensive themselves but also costing you more in waste. THe chemicals and treatment of such things is also pretty bad for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 741 ✭✭✭michaelanthony

Isn't it the same for all tesco s ? They're aimed at the lower end of the market. Superquinns is more high class if that's what you're looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 NotToday

Isn't it the same for all tesco s ? They're aimed at the lower end of the market. Superquinns is more high class if that's what you're looking for.

High class?! Have you ever been to Superquinn in Finglas? Tescos in Clearwater is fine but the new Dunnes that's being built up in Charlestown should really give them a run for their money. Agree that Tescos in Ballymun is really terrible - it's rumoured that they dump almost out of date stock from Clearwater and Omni there and I think it might be true.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The Tesco in Bray is pretty dire too. Surly staff, even more surly and aloof management. The place itself is a kip, fridges falling apart, funny smell around the butchery area, rotting fruit and veg mixed amongst the ok stuff. I once asked a manager about whether something was in stock, and I was told to "go and ask one of the 'anoraks'", pointing to one of the shelf stocking staff!

It's a truly horrible, horrible place. The one in Greystones is somewhat better, but I've almost been thrown out of the shop once for making a comment to someone on the fresh fish counter about his hygiene (or lack of it).

I now make the extra drive to go to Dunnes in Cornelscourt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

to all queries about tesco's stock levels
    i work in a rival shop but this is just to explain not excuse them and i know for a fact from some ppl that come into me and talking to me that if a product goes out of stock on the shelf at any time in tesco's it will not be packed up until the next packing slot time ,they will tell u its out of stock ,even tho its in the stock room waiting to be packed, its all to do with their central delivery system and staff rota and this is the gods honest truth so much for customer service eh???ever notice during the day they dont be packing the floor but no staff can be found to help u?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

All I can say is a lot of you are misinformed in your comments on how the stores are run, the local Tesco stores come under the control of the Store Manager obviously, and the whole chain come under control of the Head Office in Dun Laoghaire.

I know for a fact they bend over backwards for customers in the areas around stores but that doesnt go for all stores, probably due to individual human issues. I suggest you voice your complaints directly to the Store Manager in person, tell him/her that you are taking your custom elsewhere, if he values his job he will have to act upon recurring comments his store may be receiving.

I don't work directly for Tesco, but I do have knowledge on how they go about things and I must say they are absolute freaks about keeping their customers coming back, they spend millions on promotions and ads to keep you AWAY from the competition so I would chase it up if I were you. I have loads of stores near me so I just vote with my feet in circumstances like that but you say this Tesco in Wicklow is the nearest store to you by 24 odd miles, that means it's YOUR store and you should demand improvement.

I'm quite sure there is no connection between the old Crazy Prices and Tesco in terms of store management, that's a speculative comment which has no real factual basis.

The Tesco in Ballymun is indeed a mess but I think that one escapes the radar because of the well dodgey characters they have to put up with (I should know I'm from the area;) ) but that said it has gone thru a lot of redevelopment so they havent ignored it completely...

I've had the sincere displeasure of shopping in both Lidl & Aldi and you'll not catch me back there anytime soon, odd tasting german grub just don't do it for me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Savman wrote:
    I'm quite sure there is no connection between the old Crazy Prices and Tesco in terms of store management, that's a speculative comment which has no real factual basis.

Has the management changed since then? The Crazy Prices managers were in charge of 2nd rate stores and were supplied with 2nd rate produce. I know, I worked for a major supplier for 13 years and they got the scrapings of the bottom of our barrel. I'm sure they got the same from other suppliers. If you think Quinnsworth Merrion got the same as Crazy Prices Ballymun you are very niaive. Nothing has changed and it has to be demoralizing for managers and staff,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

oh my lord.. (okay, apologies for another "another way Ireland sucks" post)... when I arrived here from living in the UK for 2 years I was slightly happy to see a "Tesco" sign.. until I realised that "Tesco Ireland" was absolutely nothing like Tesco "UK". I then visited Dunnes and Aldi and Lidl and realised that this country does not have a decent supermarket.. anywhere!

God I miss Sainsburys and Asda and even at the worst Tesco "UK"!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Hagar wrote:
    Has the management changed since then? The Crazy Prices managers were in charge of 2nd rate stores and were supplied with 2nd rate produce. I know, I worked for a major supplier for 13 years and they got the scrapings of the bottom of our barrel. I'm sure they got the same from other suppliers. If you think Quinnsworth Merrion got the same as Crazy Prices Ballymun you are very niaive. Nothing has changed and it has to be demoralizing for managers and staff,

Of course I don't think Tesco gets the best of stuff, but there is a reason they're so popular and whatever about Tesco quality, it's nowhere near as bad as Dunnes, Lidl or Aldi.

Regarding Superquinn etc, does it matter who stocks the product if its a national or international brand? You seem to be suggesting that Superquinn's stock of, say, Coca Cola would be of a higher grade than Tesco's. I'm sure this reasoning applies to the Tesco shop brand stuff, but I don't get much of that anyway...

Advertisement