Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

loftus hall

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Mpower85

heard bono bought the place! sure they cant open it to the public as people are too afraid to go in there! they closed the hotel in the 1990s, check out the video on you tube of more pics inside the place! the famous room that the devil shot up in the roof is always locked! would love to have seen that room

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

It's still on sale yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Mpower85

na sold back in 2007 by an unknown buyer! which people think its Bono!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

It wasnt sold in 2007 Its still on the market.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Mpower85 wrote: »
    the famous room that the devil shot up in the roof is always locked! would love to have seen that room

must have amazing time travelling technology considering the building the devil was supposed to have appeared in is long gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Unpossible

Would be a great place to buy, restore then market as a haunted hotel. You could deliberatly set it up, have small hidden vents to make cold spots in rooms, get a designer in to get colours that subconciously make you uneasy, small speakers in the walls etc

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

Would be a great place to buy, restore then market as a haunted hotel. You could deliberatly set it up, have small hidden vents to make cold spots in rooms, get a designer in to get colours that subconciously make you uneasy, small speakers in the walls etc

Your username is strangely appropriate :pac::pac:

I'd buy that place with something like that in mind if I ever win the lotto :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Unpossible wrote: »
    Would be a great place to buy, restore then market as a haunted hotel.

Yeah I know but for the life of me I cant find that 50,000,000 euro I had lying around to get the thing up and running and what a shame, it certainly is the right economic climate to open a ghost night hotel in the middle of no where! Dang :p
    Unpossible wrote: »
    have small hidden vents to make cold spots in rooms, get a designer in to get colours that subconciously make you uneasy, small speakers in the walls etc

So like the underwear department in Dunnes Stores?

Riamfada wrote: »
    Yeah I know but for the life of me I cant find that 50,000,000 euro I had lying around to get the thing up and running and what a shame, it certainly is the right economic climate to open a ghost night hotel in the middle of no where! Dang :p
    Its 50 million? There are similar "big houses" for sale for around 5 million or less.

Riamfada wrote: »
    So like the underwear department in Dunnes Stores?
    No, no, I said a haunted hotel. Why would I turn the whole place into a dunnes clothing department?

C4Kid wrote: »
    I'd buy that place with something like that in mind if I ever win the lotto :)
    Its one of those eccentric things to do when you get rich :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

I just looked it up and its now on the market for €900,000 to think some people spent that on 4 bed semi-d's only a few years ago!

I think that you'd be mad to take it on not for the financial reasons but for the amount of nosy f***ers that would be peeping through your windows. My grandparents lived in an old railway station (about 200 years old very gothic looking) that people was sure was haunted, but never was. The scariest thing about it was the nosy good for nothings who wanted a cheap thrill and would sneak in at night terrifying my poor Grandmother. Some people have no respect.

shuffles88 wrote: »
    Some people have no respect.

Too damn right. Lots of ghosthunters in Ireland act like this. Not all but a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭shar01

Hi folks,

Thought I'd share this... I suppose you could say I'm a skeptical believer - couple of things have happened in my life that have made me pause for thought.

And the memory ain't what it used to be... so I stand to be corrected on dates.

About 15-16 years ago, myself and the cousins were staying in Fethard on Sea. We went for a drive out to Hook Head and stopped off in Loftus Hall for a coke and packet of crisps!

Long story short... cousin left purse behind, meself and herself went back to get it. The corridor leading to bar was L shaped and dark - it was bright outside (one of the good summers). We had just come in the door and as we were heading to first corner, we could see the trailing leg of someone walk past. We were nano seconds behind and when we got to the corner, there was no-one ahead of us and it was a fair stretch to the pub door.

We both looked at each other as if to say "you saw what I saw, where's he gone?". Well, we ran down to the bar... we couldn't get out of that corridor quick enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

thinking of binging the kids down for a snoop next weekend anybody know how security is these days regards brian

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭meryem

3347449309_507fef5eac.jpg

I think you should go ahead to spend a weekend there without checking for any security things. Umm! Simply go at midnight there.

And don't forget to update us about your experience there after coming back from your exciting weekend trip(It will be of coarse I guess!).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 missymoo2011

My mam was pregnant with me when she went camping there for a bike rally! My Dad went inside as well! I went to visit it a few years ago and it's very creepy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

meryem wrote: »

I think you should go ahead to spend a weekend there without checking for any security things. Umm! Simply go at midnight there.

And don't forget to update us about your experience there after coming back from your exciting weekend trip(It will be of coarse I guess!).

heheheheheheh havin 2nd thoughts now mate :P:P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭meryem

:( That's pretty bad of you. OK go at 12 Noon, but go there for sure to spend some time at night if possible, to let us know later what's your personal experience of the place. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭sarah.

On the market again! €625,000 I believe! If I had the money I'd nearly buy it even though it'd cost twice as much to get it back to its former glory, ahhh I wish some mad millionaire would buy it and renovate it!

If I win the lotto Ill buy it and do it up and I wont let any of you in. Muhahah.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

sarah. wrote: »
    On the market again! €625,000 I believe! If I had the money I'd nearly buy it even though it'd cost twice as much to get it back to its former glory, ahhh I wish some mad millionaire would buy it and renovate it!

Wow, just after locating the ad on daft.ie

I stand to be corrected but believe it had an asking price of up around the €1.8 million mark at one stage. I'm probably going to be told to wash out my mouth if any of my fellow posters from the Accommodation and Property forum are reading but that seems not so bad for what you are getting. It might be haunted or thought to be but it is a period mansion steeped in heritage and history along with 63 acres of prime agricultural land (assuming the agent is not telling a porker about the quality of the land). I appreciate to that €625k might be a paltry sum compared to what needs to be spent to bring the house back to its former glory.

All the same it would almost seem a better proposition than spending over half a million upwards on a lego land house as many did in the "boom years". Make sure you get a bloody good structural engineer to survey the house is what I'd suggest if you are interested!

I'd be thinking the Agent will get plenty of enquiries from those only interested in having a nosey around the house, myself included perhaps if I lived down around that direction!

Absolutely savage photo by the way Meryem

if i had the money i'd buy it, knock it and build a load of trees.

maccored wrote: »
    if i had the money i'd buy it, knock it and build a load of trees.

Hmmm, seems like an awful lot of expense and hassle for the sake of planting some trees. I'd imagine its one of those protected structures that you can't knock and can't change the overall appearance to any great extent.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭sarah.

Ya the price is mad, less than a third of what has been asked in recent years! Although the house may be in an awful state, the price is nothing when you take the land around it into account! And ya i'm sure many people that will go to view it will be purely going to have a nosy, I myself am contemplating the idea! :) Not sure if the house is protected actually but regardless I would find it very difficult to knock something so beautiful and with so much history, down :( I know it'd cost more almost to bring it back to its former glory than it would to buy it but I'd really love to see someone try!

What former glory? Am I missing the historical significance of this house?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

When we were young, the parents brought us to Rosslaire on holidays about ten years running. Every time, we'd head down to Hook Head, and we'd always wonder about Loftus Hall. One time, we drove into the estate, and my mothwer got out of the car and wandered around, peering in the windows and whatnot. We knew nothing about the stories behind the place. We drove into Fethard afterwards, and my cousin went into the shop for something. When she came back, she was white as a ghost. She had asked the man in the shop about Loftus Hall, and he had told her all about it, and included a story about some Yank who had driven up the drive, looked about, and then been killed in a car accident after. I can honestly say, I've never been so scared in all my life. My parents were delighted...there were 4 kids in the car and not a peep out of them the whole drive home! I'm an atheist, and have no truck with all this paranormal lark, but Loftus Hall still gives me the heeby geebees.

As I'm typing this the door behind me started creaking!!:eek:

Does one have to have a belief in religion to have an interest in the paranormal??

Einhard wrote: »
    When we were young, the parents brought us to Rosslaire on holidays about ten years running. Every time, we'd head down to Hook Head, and we'd always wonder about Loftus Hall. One time, we drove into the estate, and my mothwer got out of the car and wandered around, peering in the windows and whatnot. We knew nothing about the stories behind the place. We drove into Fethard afterwards, and my cousin went into the shop for something. When she came back, she was white as a ghost. She had asked the man in the shop about Loftus Hall, and he had told her all about it, and included a story about some Yank who had driven up the drive, looked about, and then been killed in a car accident after. I can honestly say, I've never been so scared in all my life. My parents were delighted...there were 4 kids in the car and not a peep out of them the whole drive home! I'm an atheist, and have no truck with all this paranormal lark, but Loftus Hall still gives me the heeby geebees.

As I'm typing this the door behind me started creaking!!:eek:

sarah. wrote: »
    Ya the price is mad, less than a third of what has been asked in recent years! Although the house may be in an awful state, the price is nothing when you take the land around it into account!

I certainly wouldn't go that far to be honest with you. If you want to get down to brass tax about it you shouldn't be paying anymore than 7k an acre for even top quality agricultural land these days (agricultural land being what the land is) and perhaps be foolish to be buying land these times at all more might argue. I work that out to be 441k and considering you are would be buying so much land....well...

Seems the house is gone sale agreed on daft. I would hate to see a quote for new sash windows fitted...that would be scary enough without seing any devils or ghosts!

I was in Loftus Hall years ago as a child when there was a cafe in it. It is an eerie place alright, i remember walking around the outside and looking in through the windows, everything in the rooms was covered with an inch of dust like they hadnt been set foot in for years. I recall seen evil looking gorgil type statues hanging off the side of it, the strangest thing i saw whilst there was the owners one eyed alsatian !
    I used to always say that considering the sizeable piece of land that came with it that it had the potential for a half decent links golf course..
    The most recent odd goings on reported inside the house by some intruders may be more the result of the head shop gear they had consumed as opposed to ghosts etc.. Up to a few years ago anytime we drove past the house there used to be just one sole light on in a top corner window, weird...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭Milly33

So has anyone got access recently to Loftus...Think we may take a trip down this month and any tips would be great. and before anyone starts off im not going to damage anything or whatever im just going for a nose

Advertisement