Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

loftus hall

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

maccored wrote: »
    i cant take anything from a franks box other than its a radio signal ... as thats precisely what every voice from a franks box is.

Its basically a money spinning gadget sold to 'paranormal investigators' who dont understand the tech.

Hey folks this is a good thread anout Loftus and there are plenty of threads about lunchboxes with a remote control glued to them and sold to ghost hunters for $100, lets keep it out of this thread.

Loftus info and Loftus Stories only.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

... well, it was in reference to the youtube video from loftus hall where they were using a ... ah nevermind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

when it was rebuilt it was rebuilt with the facade facing east towards Jerusalem
    for protection.is this true?

does anyone know the name of the documentary made by Cathal O Shannon in the nineties? it was well made and put forward some interesting theories.

I am not sure of the castle in question but there is supposed to be a castle in Clare haunted by the ghost of a young woman. apparently she lived in the 18th century, found herself in the family way and was locked away in the the attic where she was to spent the rest of her life. does anyone know what I am talking about?

Riamfada wrote: »
    Hey folks this is a good thread anout Loftus and there are plenty of threads about lunchboxes with a remote control glued to them and sold to ghost hunters for $100, lets keep it out of this thread.

Loftus info and Loftus Stories only.

could I interupt briefly and ask what the lunchboxes with a remote control glued to them is supposed to signify?

Fuinseog wrote: »
    could I interupt briefly and ask what the lunchboxes with a remote control glued to them is supposed to signify?

No problem, I mean there is no point on cluttering this thread with a discussion on various types of paranormal investigation equipment.

• Advertisement

was loftus hall demolished because of the ghost or was there another reason?

where could I find the best version of the tale?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭RonyPonyBah

Hello Everyone !

After many setbacks and sidetracks the DVD is for sale !

www.thelegendofloftushall.com

dfvdbox.png

Riamfada wrote: »
    No problem, I mean there is no point on cluttering this thread with a discussion on various types of paranormal investigation equipment.

cluttering?? you obviously have a very strange definition of that word.

cluttering?? you obviously have a very strange definition of that word.

This thread is about loftus hall. Not another thread about ghost hunting equipment. Was your post relevant to this thread topic?

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mark17

I really think it's very sad to see idiots trying to make money out of a severely disabled person who lived a dreadful life 240 years ago, shame on you lot............

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

mark17 wrote: »
    I really think it's very sad to see idiots trying to make money out of a severely disabled person who lived a dreadful life 240 years ago, shame on you lot............
    *mod hat on*
    Please read the charter. Please stay on topic. Please dont just wander in and mudsling or troll (I cant decide which). Enjoy the forum, but allow others to as well.
    *mod hat off again*

I'm delighted to see Loftus open for business again, far better than to see it rot.
    was loftus hall demolished because of the ghost or was there another reason?
    I reckon it was the usual reason, upgrading. An old decrepit building was pulled down so they could build a better one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭MrMojoRisin

Someone took a drive by there recently and took a couple of nice photos.

img_3298.jpg

img_3295.jpg

http://othersideoftheroad.net/2012/08/09/the-most-haunted-house-in-ireland/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭Its Behind You!

Blimey...this thread has been motoring for a while...ah come on folks...OK, I'll try and read some of the contents, but this surely a story that is told all over the place....man play cards or whatever with a stranger, bends down, sees hooves, devil goes ape...etc...nearly as believable as Father Christmas and Rudolph..

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭mark17

Oryx wrote: »
    *mod hat on*
    Please read the charter. Please stay on topic. Please dont just wander in and mudsling or troll (I cant decide which). Enjoy the forum, but allow others to as well.
    *mod hat off again*

I'm delighted to see Loftus open for business again, far better than to see it rot.

I reckon it was the usual reason, upgrading. An old decrepit building was pulled down so they could build a better one.

Not trolling stating historical fact in relation to an advert

was there recently, they are doing tours there now but the premises is not safe as alot of it feel to ruin. (helped by people breaking in to take a look) .

But the area is nice

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

They had an 18th century themed ball there last Friday night for the official reopening. I was there with a group of friends.
    The house is in very bad condition. They've ensured it is structurally sound and have done a lot of work on the main function room that was added when it was a hotel so it can host events.
    They've restored the dome that had collapsed onto the grand staircase ... actually, the staircase was fine when the dome collapsed on it. Just goes to show how well made the staircase was!
    They've also stuck a bit of furniture in a few of the rooms and started to clean a few others so people can go on a short tour of the place.
    The new owner got the place for next to nothing but you'd have to spend untold millions to restore the place fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 midlands paranormal researcher

heard it is a wild place at night

• Registered Users Posts: 3 geogobdaw

lads don't want to freak anybody now, but was down there lately and did the tour, had the re-enaction of the card game and that no problem, and the tour ahead of us could hear a young child absolutely wailing!! Anyway they don't tell you that you're going into the tapestry room, I assumed it was upstairs anyway and they don't have the tour up there anyway. Stairs are worth the cover fee anyway. Not a supersticous person by any means, but brought us into a room, fireplace had been stolen from it!(if I was them I'd bring it back!) just standing there and got a wicked chill, felt really cold! Remember looking at the fireplace and thinking to myself, ! theres some draught down that chimney! but then this thing came into my head! dead baby! dead baby! I swear tried to ignore it an listen to the guide, but just in my head. Have no explanation whatsoever, but the hairs were standing on my neck and I was freezing!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

geogobdaw wrote: »
    lads don't want to freak anybody now, but was down there lately and did the tour, had the re-enaction of the card game and that no problem, and the tour ahead of us could hear a young child absolutely wailing!! Anyway they don't tell you that you're going into the tapestry room, I assumed it was upstairs anyway and they don't have the tour up there anyway. Stairs are worth the cover fee anyway. Not a supersticous person by any means, but brought us into a room, fireplace had been stolen from it!(if I was them I'd bring it back!) just standing there and got a wicked chill, felt really cold! Remember looking at the fireplace and thinking to myself, ! theres some draught down that chimney! but then this thing came into my head! dead baby! dead baby! I swear tried to ignore it an listen to the guide, but just in my head. Have no explanation whatsoever, but the hairs were standing on my neck and I was freezing!

You joined in 2012 and you're only posting now? What an interesting first post too lol

geogobdaw wrote: »

No need to be freaked out, The owners there have added in some sounds and holograms to add to the ambiance of the tour. I did hear some of them were just funny to see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Jessica xxx

So the house is now open to the public? Jeeze....where have i been? Last time i was in that place it was a wreck.....

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I was there in August.. they have family tours during the day and Adult Only tours at night.. I think the adult only tour would be great fun, especially around Halloween..

There's a decent enough restaurant and a little gift shop.. the tour only takes you around the ground floor as upstairs is as yet unsafe..

They hope to have it completely renovated within the next 15-20 years :eek: as funding is very tight and it would cost millions apparently..

It is a fascinating place.. our tour guide was very good, quite an animated chap.. which added to the atmosphere :D

I recommend the tour.. great way to pass a Sunday.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I thought the tour was a little idiotic, and full of crazy made up stories. But a bit of craic.

Oryx wrote: »
    I thought the tour was a little idiotic, and full of crazy made up stories. But a bit of craic.

Yeah some of the stuff they were telling us sounded a bit hairy alright :D but as you say... good craic all the same!

i find it amazing they tell the ghost story about Anne Tottenham as that happened in 1775 (apparently, even though its identical to the story told of the hell fire club) and the present house wasnt built until 1870 - almost a century later.

present house wasnt built until 1870 - almost a century later.

The Tour Guide assured us that what presently stands is not a new building, but the original with some extension work done to the facade to make it look new.. done in preparation for a Royal visit which never came to be, apparently..

He showed us some 'before and after' images of the house and it did look like the same building but with some bits added on and moved around.

Having said that.. he also told us that the beautiful mosaic floor in the reception hall was designed and handcrafted by 2 Italian Brothers who subsequently had their hands chopped off upon completion of their work... to ensure that the floor would be a 'one off' piece..

Sure who cares if it's true or not.. it's entertaining and an excuse to get inside a very old and pretty spectacular building ;)

The building that exists today was built between 1870 and 1871 by the 4th Marquess of Ely.

One cant deny history. Im sure theres historical records.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loftus_Hall

xzanti wrote: »
    The Tour Guide assured us that what presently stands is not a new building, but the original with some extension work done to the facade to make it look new.. done in preparation for a Royal visit which never came to be, apparently..

He showed us some 'before and after' images of the house and it did look like the same building but with some bits added on and moved around.

Having said that.. he also told us that the beautiful mosaic floor in the reception hall was designed and handcrafted by 2 Italian Brothers who subsequently had their hands chopped off upon completion of their work... to ensure that the floor would be a 'one off' piece..

Sure who cares if it's true or not.. it's entertaining and an excuse to get inside a very old and pretty spectacular building ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭AI

There were three structures on the site. A fourteenth century fortified residence called Redmond Hall, a late 17th century/early 18th century house (Loftus Hall 1) and the structure which currently occupies the site built in 1871 (Loftus Hall 2). Redmond Hall was largely demolished to make way for Loftus Hall 1 but when you look at pictures of Loftus Hall 1 and Loftus Hall 2 it is clear the structure is mostly the same.

Externally the ground floor windows were lengthened and the attic story of the earlier house changed to a full third storey. You can also see the changes on the first edition maps (circa 1840) vs second edition maps (circa 1900) where the main body of the house is the same. So you could say that the house where the devil supposedly appeared is the same house that exists today.

I went on the tour and thought it very cheesy but the guide knew this and all in all it was a bit of a giggle. There is a lot of total nonsense on the tour with made up stories etc I guess they are just trying to entertain you.

A friend was recently passing Loftus and saw the lights on so went up for a look. The cafe joined to the side of the house was filled with leather clad folk in various states of undress - it was a bondage party in full swing!!

For what it’s worth I have diary entries from the antiquarian artist Gabriel Beranger who stayed in the house in 1780 less than eight years after the supposed devils visit and he records various things about the house but nothing about its ghosts. Surely he would have mentioned something about the devil/ghosts if there was anything factual in the story.

AI wrote: »
    I went on the tour and thought it very cheesy but the guide new this and all in all it was a bit of a giggle. There is a lot of total nonsense on the tour with made up stories etc I guess they are just trying to entertain you.

Exactly.. and by taking the tour you're contributing towards the preservation of a magnificent piece of heritage..

I would love to see the entire building restored! It would be amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

xzanti wrote: »
    I was there in August.. they have family tours during the day and Adult Only tours at night.. I think the adult only tour would be great fun, especially around Halloween..

There's a decent enough restaurant and a little gift shop.. the tour only takes you around the ground floor as upstairs is as yet unsafe..

They hope to have it completely renovated within the next 15-20 years :eek: as funding is very tight and it would cost millions apparently..

It is a fascinating place.. our tour guide was very good, quite an animated chap.. which added to the atmosphere :D

I recommend the tour.. great way to pass a Sunday.

Glad to hear it's been reopened and is being put to good use. I was there many years ago, before it started to go to ruin, and thoroughly enjoyed having a look around.

Advertisement