Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The West Wing Season 7 starts Thursday 5th, 10:45

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

elurhs wrote:
    Nope, Toby was the leak. As far as I remember, it was never said last season who the leak was. (Although I'm open to correction). See how surprised CJ was when Toby said he did it.

Thought it was an excellent episode, Toby going down in a style true to character. His talk with Jed was very well done, thought Jed saying there was a touch of inevitablilty about it was so true. Just wondering what they're going to do with Toby now. Hope that's not the last we see of him.

I'm pretty sure I remember in the conversation between CJ and Toby about the shuttle that Toby said he would have preferred his brother to have died rather than leak the existence of the shuttle. If so, then why did he leak it? It doesn't feel 100% right to me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

If so, then why did he leak it? It doesn't feel 100% right to me...
    If you'll remember back to Season 6, Toby was furious at his brother for commiting suicide because of his cancer. Its possible that doing this would have been the ultimate way to get back at him for that. But that might seem like a bit of a reach...

If you'll remember back to Season 6, Toby was furious at his brother for commiting suicide because of his cancer. Its possible that doing this would have been the ultimate way to get back at him for that. But that might seem like a bit of a reach...

Yeah I remember that, but in the conversation with CJ he also said that his brother wouldn't have wanted its existence leaked, so I dunno, that might as you say be a bit of a reach. But it's a theory!

I knew it...

Wasn't it only a matter of time before RTE rescheduled??
    It does my nut when this happens.. I mean who want sto watch some corporate advertisint enable awards???

Not me, bring back The West Wing!

I'm sick of complaining about this, I suppose seing as it's the last season what's the point?

Just to remind everyone that we're on at the later time of 11:05 tonight (and seemingly from now on).

• Advertisement

Episode 7 [the entire episode is a presidentianl debate] is pretty good.

This was tonight's episode, for those who missed it.

First off, it was pretty fun, if a little disconcerting at first, to experience the somewhat duller sounds and brighter colours that live television brings in an episode of the West Wing. I guess 6 years of movie film have built an expectation.

However, I do think that if you compare this episode with the last debate episode we had (Bartlet vs Ritchie, way back in Season 4), it highlights a change that has been becoming more prevalent since Sorkin left. The emphasis of the show is after leaving the team as a whole, and now seems to be focusing primarily on the two candidates and the campaign, but not so much on the actual characters that have been there, or who are coming up. We're missing the trees for the woods.

What I missed about this episode was seeing what was going on behind the scenes. Sure, Smits and Alda did enough to carry it off well, and it was one of smarter episodes we have had in a while, but it still felt there was something missing by not showing the background staff for anything more that a few seconds in the pre-title. I would have especially loved to have seen
    the reaction in the camps when Vinick used the term "President Santos" - I could just imagine Josh lapping it up

Oh well, hopefully they'll make up for it in the coming episodes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

last nights episode was one of the best I've seen in a long long time. I loved it. Although I'd love to have seen it "live" when it went out in the States. The acting from Jimmy Smits and Alan Alda was fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

Really? Did it go out live in the US?!

Loved every second of it. The crisp video look was very strange indeed, but it was surprising how easy it was to get used to it - barely even noticed it after five mins!

My only gripe was the over-doing of live television clichés; the camera ops running about the place was just ridiculous and would never happen on a professional television production. It looked so contrived as did the two pedestal cameras in the wings - they were directed at the backs of the candidates so weren't even being used!
    Showing all of the mechanics was a bit of smug slap in the face to conventional television by the slick film-drama that is the West Wing. Came across as a bit high-horsey...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Yes, it went out live in the US - East and West coast versions respectively.

Some news re: certin people are going to be coming back, mostly for Leo's funeral I'd imagine.
    Vice President John Hoynes (Tim Matheson)
    Vice President Bingo Bob Russell (Gary Cole)
    Nancy McNally (Anna Deavere Smith)
    Amy Gardner (Mary Louise Parker)
    Joey Lucas (Marlee Matlin)
    Lizzie Bartlet (Annabeth Gish)

Oh, and two not very popular characters...;)
    Ainsley Hayes (Emily Procter)
    Sam Seaborn (Rob Lowe)
    Apparently
    Rob Lowe is back
    for the final two episodes, dunno how long
    Ainsley
    is back for but those two had great chemistry.

I quite liked Ainsley. Was sorry to see her dropped as suddenly as she was. She seemed to fall into the same vortex that Mandy (Moira Kelly) did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,181 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I was always more of an Amy fan... Always remember her in the episode where she's drinking a glass of wine while listening to Van Morisson and thinking Josh was an absolute idiot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Yes, it went out live in the US - East and West coast versions respectively.

What? Did they perform the show live twice?

Yes, they did it live twice. I saw clips of it on the nbc site:

http://www.nbc.com/The_West_Wing/

The clips are still there... I couldn't see any real difference between the two.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The West Wing resumes tonight on US television, looking forward to, ahem, sourcing it. RTE mustn't be too far behind at this stage.

No, I don't think they are too far behind. Last Thursdays one was about wanting to fire Josh, and the wedding. Bit ironic that John Spencer mentioned something would kill him, can't remember what.

I'm going to miss the show a lot, only 8 episodes to go now (I'm downloading).

Last week's episode was 7.10, Running Mates: The words Leo used later...by an overwhelming percentage the first warning symptom of a heart attack is death. How true to life...:(

You can view some promos for the US episodes coming up soon, some SPOILERAGE in the clips, don't know if that link is allowed.http://www.my-serendipity.net/tww7.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Sleepy wrote:
    I was always more of an Amy fan... Always remember her in the episode where she's drinking a glass of wine while listening to Van Morisson and thinking Josh was an absolute idiot...

Ainsley Hayes ruled. She's completely wasted in thst CSI Miami yoke...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Pazaz 21

Oh ya, Ainsley is HOT !!

"She's enough to make a good dog break his leash" :D

I'm going to miss the show a lot, only 8 episodes to go now (I'm downloading).

[/URL]

Are you downloading the full episodes, where can i download ?

Yeah, I'm downloading full episodes.

It's Election Day tonight on TWW in the US episodes, a two parter and The Foo Fighters are in it. Jon Bon Jovi was in last week's one, odd. What episode are RTE up to now, 11,12 ish? The last few from the States have been very good in my opinion.

Methinks things in Election Day will be overshadowed by
    the death of Leo.
    :(

• Advertisement

RTE is currently on episode 12, "Duck and Cover". Pretty good, can't wait till the final episodes when all the characters from the series start to pop up again.

Where exactly are you downloading the episodes from, i sometimes miss them on thursday night because of work, i missed episode 8 "the undicideds" and they keep referencing it which is driving me mad !!

Thanks

Yeah, looking forward to seeing some of the characters from the Sorkin era.

Just finished watching 7.16, Election Day I, it was very good in my opinion. The start of it was quite amusing, heh. Later
    Janel Maloney in
    her underwear, yummy...;)

At the end when
    Annabeth went to check on Leo you knew what was coming but it was still hard to watch, next week's episode is going to be tough too, seeing the reaction of Josh and Bartlet...

Kate Harper
    voted for Vinick!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,181 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Another person watching the American episodes here
    Loved Election Day Part I. Was great to see Josh and Donna finally hook up properly!

Ihought they demonstrated the nerves of all involved quite well, with Josh predictably being tighter coiled than any of the candidates themselves.

Hoping that we might see a little more of Toby in Election Day Part II, which I assume will feature Leo's death over-shadowing the election result. Still think Santos will win though :)

The temptation to read those spoilers is HUGE, but I must resist!

Really enjoyed last weeks episode on RTE, thought it was one of the best for a while, but the best is yet to come when Rob Lowe returns!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭elurhs

Thought last nights ep was good. It's all falling apart for Vinick now. He looked a beaten man to me at the end last night, put he might come back a bit. They're obviously going to leave it tight right up until the election. Not much drama in a landslide (see Bartlett's reelection!).

Jed putting troops into Kazakhstan really fecks things up for the new President. Scary that the first 100 days are the most productive. Guess the rest of the time is spent trying to get reelected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

it so unrealistic,

oh woe is me i have to puts troops in to save the world from those troublesome chinese and russians, sacrifice for world peace!!!
    bollox

i mean it does mention oil fields and there being no victory but it such bland crap

im only watching it to see the series out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cloysparra

I'm not a West wing fan at all, but my partner is and watches it religiously every Thursday on RTE. I wanted to get her a box set of one of the seasons for her birthday, but I don't know which one I should buy. I can't go asking her about it as she'll know why I'm fishing. Can you tell me which one is being shown on RTE at the moment even and the cheapest place I can go to get a set also?

Cheers :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭elurhs

RTE is currently showing the 7th and final season, with just 9 eps left to show. As regards boxsets, I'm not sure where the cheapest place to get them would be. play.com seems to have good prices on boxsets, but you should shop around. I know a boxset was released of the first six seasons, but thats probably a bit OTT. I would recommend the first two seasons as being the best, quality wise.

7.13, The Cold on RTE was a good one.

Padded bra in a padded envelope?

The Anne Coulter type who took over Vinick's campaign is hot but probably the devil. Great to see Leo getting called into the Oval before any of the candidates. Typical Jed asking about the soldier's clothing, gotta love the man. Loved Debbie saying 'not too comfortable' to Vinick and Vinick not being sure if he heard her properly. Class.

Sleepy,
    Josh going ballistic was a good moment, reminding us that it's still all to play for and I guess it was typically Josh too. Thought CJ looking into the Oval when it was empty was a very poignant scene.
    Have seen the promo for Election Day II, can't wait!

Cloysparra, sometimes the boxsets are selling for about €85, don't pay that! Sometimes they're around for about €50, though you'll probably get them online too. Probably best to get the early seasons for quality as elurhs says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

so come on then who won

Advertisement