Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The West Wing Season 7 starts Thursday 5th, 10:45

Options
  • 29-12-2005 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭

Give me an incentive to get through my brand new 5 and 6 boxes anyway :D

It'll be a while before we see John Spencer's swansong, but at least we have some new drama to look forward to.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

The First ep is so-so, gets a bit better from the 2nd onwards.

Episode 7 [the entire episode is a presidentianl debate] is pretty good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Hope they manage to keep the start time before 11pm and not bounce it around the schedule.

Didn't think the debate episode was up to much myself, probably wouldn't have worked if Sorkin had been there he'd probably be writing up to the last minute! It's just not the same show in the post Sorkin era. I don't like what Wells has done to the characters and the new characters aren't up to much in my opinion. The has lost some of its humour too.

Kate Harper, if she is deputy NSA advisor why the does she work in regular offices in the West Wing, sitting in on non-securtiy matters and occasionally talking about the political ramifications. Can you imagine Nancy McNally doing that?!

That short one with the squeaky voice, an empty character.

Was never sure about CJ and Chief of Staff, as press secretary she was brilliant.

Still, it's better than most stuff on TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

I'am looking forward for this show to return. One of the few shows I try and catch week after week

I'am hoping this season VP Bob Russell sends Will Bailey down to Dallas. Where Bailey gets blown away by a sniper as he passes the grassey Knoll

Joshua Malina quite possibly one of the worst actors ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Any news on how they will deal with the death of John Spencer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Telefís

I'm assuming this to be RTÉ's series? Who's taking bets on the likelihood of promos?
    They haven't seen fit to run any for the past five seasons so I suppose there's no point in breaking with tradition at this stage :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

RTE are only on S6?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,345 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

So it starts tonight, I guess we'll be using this as the s7 thread?
    Bond-007 wrote:
    Any news on how they will deal with the death of John Spencer?
    Not as such, no. Apparently they've episode 14 in the bag so it will probably be a while before he's written out, hope they give him a decent tribute.
    starn wrote:
    I'am hoping this season VP Bob Russell sends Will Bailey down to Dallas. Where Bailey gets blown away by a sniper as he passes the grassey Knoll

Joshua Malina quite possibly one of the worst actors ever.

Heh, unfortunately something happened Bailey in between seasons 4 and 5, he went from the new Sam Seabourn - young idealist liberal to Bingo-Bob loving oppurtunistic muppet. If this guy works for VP and no longer has an office in the West Wing, then why does he spend so much time wandering the corridors around the Oval Office having incidental conversations with other people slagging off the VP. Hasn't he got a job to do as the VP's main man which surely must involve something other than wandering corridors of power aimlessly?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

I sincerely hope they get someone one with CJ's ballsy attitude to be press secretary as that tiny squeaky one isnt convincing in the role

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Brando_ie

By a pure fluke I managed to abort my 24 series 1 marathon last night only to turn on RTE and see that The West Wing was on after the break. I had no idea that the new series was starting and as it is my favorite show on the box, I was buzzing.

It was sad to know that John Spenser is no longer with us and it was poignent when 'Santos' said to Leo that to get him 'back in the race he will need to 'drum up another heart attack'. The episode wasn't a classic but the Space Shuttle thread has a bit of mileage, I'll be hoping that the series doesn't only focus on the race, but still dabbles with proceeding on the Oval.

The flashforward scene was interesting, tainted only by hearing that Will is (or will be?) a congressman himself!!.... oh, and the fact that Josh seemed to be getting younger!!... hehehe. The Josh / Donna thread seems to still be there which is good. Granted working together again seems to be impossible but it will be interesting to see what happens. I liked the drawing of the battle lines between old friends during the Oval meeting between Josh / Toby / CJ and Leo, and it would be easy to see how this may reflect real life with an outgoing and incoming administration..... ah, who cares!!!..... I'm just glad that the folks are back!!.... roll on Thursdays!! :D

Indeed - though no promos whatever. Now there's a surprise.
    Utter muck like Joey is promoted, while the West Wing doesn't get a look in :mad:

At least we know when it's on now. Were it not for this thread, I wouldn't have known of it at all - no one looks that far up the evening in television listings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Telef&#237 wrote: »
    no one looks that far up the evening in television listings.
    :(;)

*looks awkwardly out the window"

:p

Yeah okay, I usually do a comprehensive trawl over the coming week on Sundays too, but have gotton out of the habit of late.
    Either way, the imbalance in what RTÉ chooses to promote can be farcical at times - even when they pay a fortune for certain programmes.

It's interesting that The West Wing is a huge commerical success in America, while in Britain and Ireland it's deemed to be an example of classic niche-audience public service television!
    In some credit to RTÉ, at least they've consistently run with it since way back in 1999.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

sick I missed this, jesus RTÉ should have promoted this.
    Currently watching season six (got it as a christmas pressie) and was looking foward to this.

I have the the whole series 'series linked' now on Sky+
    Will have to talk to my good friend Bit****rent for the first episode ;)

I've seen the latest episode from the States thanks to magic pixies that bring it to my hard drive. ;) Don't worry I'm not going to mention the plot or spoil it just to say Martin Sheen gave a small tribute to John Spencer at the start of the episode - this was the first episode broadcast since his death. "Johnny, it seems we hardly knew you, we miss you and we love you" :(

Anyway, onto tonight's episode, didn't watch it myself but I presume it was 7.02, The Mommy Problem, pretty bad title. That was a bit of mad montage thing at the start, following Santos on the campaign trail, strange to watch. Janeane Garafolo is good as Lou Thornton, and to be honest Josh needed the help.
    Loved Santos and Josh in the lift, and Santos talking about sleeping with some flight attendant. Funny stuff. :D As for the leak investigation, Brock is in jail and they seem to be hinting at CJ as the source.

Was good - not fantastic, but good.
    Something of a 'filler' episode - nothing major happening, just keeping the momentum going.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭elurhs

Solid but not spectacular. I also thought the opening montage/freeze framing thing was a bit unusual for the West Wing, but its no harm to try something new.

Basically, Josh is finally forced to break the link with his old gang in the White House and also allow someone else actually have and idea apart from himself. Jeananne Garofalo seems to be heading for at least recurring character status based on this ep. The "strong women to stand up to Josh" role is a bit of a poisoned chalice - where are Mandy (remember her) and Amy now?

Finally, I see Janel Moloney (Donna) and Dule Hill (Charlie) are gone from the start credits.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

The series hasn't picked up as expected. I was hoping for more from the election story, the leak storyline is by far the most interesting but you don't see much of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Pazaz 21

Just bought the West Wing Boxset: Season's 1 to 6, The Bartlett Years. Best €250 quid i've ever spent. Non-stop West Wing Fest, i love it. I can't believe how good the show is, the acting, the storyline, no wonder it won so many emmy's. I'm currently working my way through season 1, never realised we found out about President Bartlett's MS so early in the series, i was sure it was about the fouth season before we were told, also a great storyline. :D:D

Have the first two meself, watched them again over Christmas. Contrast between then and now is pretty big. When Aaron Sorkin leaves (I think its after Season 4) it goes downhill. Rob Lowe was a big loss too. But check the writing credits for the first three seasons - Sorkin wrote EVERY episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I think it began to pick up again. Not as witty as the Sorkin years but I still can never miss an episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Watched it last night.

At last the scene in the lift about Bruce from Aer Lingus. Great stuff.

Joshs's hair is a bit annoying. Makes me want to start up the lawnmower!

Overall, I enjoyed the episode, wasn't as bad as I was expecting afrter reading the previous posts.

No more West Wing, oh well, probably for the best.

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/01/22/D8F9TAU07.html

Sad news, but as you said probably a good time to kill it off peacefully.

Yeah, best not let it develop into something like the later years of The X Files. Sure, John Wells dropped the ball with season 5 but things have picked up somewhat and season 7 has some fine stuff in it. Here's hoping we get some great stuff near the end, a pity Sorkin and Schlamme won't be involved but maybe Wells & Co. can pull it off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

I'm really sad about this... :(
    I know everyone wil say it has come to a natural end.. maybe it has, but I think it could have gotten much better once the elections were sorted.

Don't know what I'm going to do on a Thursday night now... this was definitely my favourite show of all time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Pazaz 21

Ya, pretty gutted to hear the West Wing has been cancelled. But i guess it's the right time to do it. Season 7 not bad, last nights episode about the israel/palestine conflict pretty good, lookin forward to seeing how that works out.:o

How does Mr Frost know what he knows and what's the bigger picture? Bartlet could have done with a more meaty storyline.

So
    Toby is
    the leak? A sad end for the character,
    Richard Schiff
    is truly a masterful actor.

John Wells has revealed some information about how they'll be wrapping up, like how they'll deal with the loss of John Spencer, he's also given info in relation to the election episodes but obviously hasn't said who will win. There are no new episodes in the U.S. until some time in March the Winter Olympics is causing the big gap in the schedule.

The episodes on April 2nd (7.16) and April 9th (7.17) will deal with the election. The series finale on May 14th (7.22) will show the Inauguration of the new President. That gives four full episodes dedicated to the transition period. It gives them time to show the end of the Bartlet administration and will give them the opportunity to tie things up generally.

Leo
    will die of a heart attack sometime during episodes 7.16 and 7.17 (the election episodes). He'll die 5 days before the election which means he'll remain on the ballot. Thus, if Santos wins then Leo will technically be elected VP. Having Leo die before the election also means it is likely to affect how people vote. Will it ruin Santos's chances? Possibly.

Excuse the utter ignorance here, but was the loss of Toby last night done in a 'taking the rap' for CJ fashion?
    It was CJ who leaked it last season wasn't it?! My mind's a blur...

Excuse the utter ignorance here, but was the loss of Toby last night done in a 'taking the rap' for CJ fashion?
    It was CJ who leaked it last season wasn't it?!

• Advertisement

Nope, Toby was the leak. As far as I remember, it was never said last season who the leak was. (Although I'm open to correction). See how surprised CJ was when Toby said he did it.

Thought it was an excellent episode, Toby going down in a style true to character. His talk with Jed was very well done, thought Jed saying there was a touch of inevitablilty about it was so true. Just wondering what they're going to do with Toby now. Hope that's not the last we see of him.

Advertisement