Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comic Creator Challenge

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Yeah, Alan's page was a joy to behold. As I was reading it my first thought was "Heh, cute, he's given the robot an arse", followed by "Oh...that's not an arse..." followed by "that's gotta hurt! OUCH!". The little moustache was a genius idea too :D

As for the getting involved in the next one, the more the merrier! I'll post up on here again and send out emails to find out who wants to get involved, just reply to me or PM me then. Always good to get some new blood :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Lol Alan and babies - I fear this will be an on going theme for him for awhile. All the pages actually work pretty well together for the most part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 thebaddy

Yeah Alan's page looks gorgeous. Nice to see it in colour as opposed to his black and white Sancho stuff.

Hey hoovers - great work as ever, you crazy mofo! Plus Jolien's entry has to take the biscuit for biggest curve-ball/change of pace!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭alnolan

Thanks for the kind words guys. I loved Robbie Bonham's Oink-like brilliance as well as Jolien's acid-drop. I have a copy of Robojo that I treasure.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Right, it's getting close to the starting point for the next one so anyone who's interested in taking part, send me a PM with your email address or mail me directly at fyshbowlcomics(a)gmail.com.

I'll be sending out a mass mail in the next day or two to sort out everyone who's taking part, and I'll put together a script-of-sorts and assign each person their page next week.

I'm thinking 2-4 weeks for the whole thing to run, since everyone's going to be able to work on their pages at the same time....if anyone's going to be put out by this, let me know.

• Advertisement

Like a disorganised fool, I forgot to update this when the last round actually kicked off. A record 14 people are in this time around, with each person being assigned a different page prompt with a general background setting of the end of the world:

01 An explorer creates a clone of himself in a small diner. (Mathieu Brethes)
    02 A toxicologist and six critical store managers find themselves trapped in a hospital while sharing an umbrella with a melodramatic monk. (Andy Grzess)
    03 Two nuns are murdered on the way to lunch. (Adam Murray)
    04 A transvestite meets, loses, and reunites with his true love at the race track. (Alan Nolan)
    05 The housemate of a farmhand goes on a shopping spree. (Bob Byrne)
    06 A mummy spreads a dire warning about the end of the world. (Eoin Marron)
    07 A stripper is fused with a machine in a freak accident while visiting relatives. (Jolien Hampson)
    08 A mutant prophet, a tiny celloist, and a skeptical masseuse are found bound and gagged in a shopping mall. (Eavan O'Sullivan)
    09 A war-hero loses his faith while sleeping. (Ronan Kennedy)
    10 Angry werewolves form a cult in a graveyard. (Kyle Rogers)
    11 A poacher learns the world is going to end. (Paddy Lynch)
    12 A trio of barbers witnesses a murder in a military outpost. (Kevin Thompson)
    13 A desperate father has a horrific vision of the future in a nuclear submarine. (Robbie Bonham)
    14 An army sergeant saves a child on a military base. (Leo Boyd)

Originally the end date was to be the end of May but it seems that most people, myself included, could use an extra few days so there's an extra 2 weeks to it. All going well we should see a bunch of new comics around the 15th of June.

Right, the deadline is tomorrow night/Monday morning and about half of the entries have come through. I've contacted those whose entries I haven't received yet and hopefully should be able to upload them all in the next couple of days.

In the meantime, what sort of things do you want for the next round? While the collaborative stuff has been fun, I'd like to go back to each person doing their own thing, but that's just me. I'm not sure what to use as the next theme either, for that matter. Any suggestions? (Speaking of themes, I get the feeling that the prompts for this round were a bit restrictive. Ah well, we live and learn)

It looks like I've received as many pages as are going to come in for this round, so they should be online by Friday if not before. (I forgot that I'd planned to do an introduction page for the whole thing, which I'll be drawing tonight, hence the slight delay).

Meanwhile, let's talk about the next round's theme. The collaborative stuff has been fun, but I'd like to go back to the original format of each person putting together their own thing with a basic overall theme. I reckon "school stories" should be a good subject, but I could be biased as I have a long-standing love for the sort of nonsense you get on Playground Law and figure that if you haven't got any interesting/funny stories from your school days you can just nick one from there.

What do ye think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Hoovers

Yeah go for it- I had an engineering teacher I have been waiting to get even with for years, so yeah, the school theme works for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Sorry Fysh, I know I've passed the deadline and all, but I'll have it finished and scanned in tomorrow, izzat okay with you? :pac:

• Advertisement

Right, Round 11 is up. Click here to see them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭livingtargets

I`d love to get involved with the next one if it`s okee-doke with yourself...

Luke F ( http://lukefcomics.blogspot.com/ )

Great stuff luke, I'll let you know when it's started. It should kick off by the end of July if not sooner, I'm just trying to think of a way of doing them that we haven't done yet...I reckon schoolyard stories are a good theme for the next one, but if anyone else has any suggestions post 'em up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭alnolan

Round 11 is cool -- I love Bob's, Paddy's, Robbie's as usual, and Eoin's is feckin brilliant! Well done all.

Schoolyard stories it is, Kylo.

Ha ha,

Well done all, some funny **** in there as usual! Roll on round 12!!

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭RobbieBonham

I loved the zombie one...

... and the one about the same-sauce couple... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

Loved the mummy one and the the tomato tomatoe was very well done :)
    nice work all around.

I loved the zombie one...

Sorry, yeah... I meant 'mummy'...

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Cheers Lone Stone and Robbie! :D And yes, tis' indeed a mummy.
    Loved your inking Rob, and even better ending; Nolan's page was everything you expected and more out of two ketchup bottles; Byrne yet again put us to shame with that page done in 16 mins (!); and in the words of Ronan back there, "Well done all".
    Can't wait to have another crack at it. Schoolyard theme sounds good t'me.

• Advertisement

Ah cheers! I only really draw cartoony stuff. But the brief necessitated it had to be realistic, I think ! Plus it's drawn actual size, on A4. Kinda tight! lol

Never got the hang of drawing A3. Must give it a try one of these days.

Lookin' forward to the next one!

I can't believe you drew that A4 Robbie, that's mad! Looks far too detailed to have been drawn at actual size. You should give drawing on A3 a go, it's amazing how much easier it makes things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 erok

What's the deadline for the next challenge?

Erok
    okerok.blogspot.com

I thought I'd updated this yesterday, so thanks for the reminder :)

Round 12 will start effectively now, and it's a simple one this time - you've got one page to tell a story from your school days. If you haven't got a suitable story, I suggest going to look at www.playgroundlaw.com and picking your favourite from there. The deadline is the 31st of August.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭film_gonzo

Hey,

I'd be interested in joining in on this month's round. Could someone let me know what I have to do about submissions ... who to send it to and in what format etc ...

Also can it be a collaborative thing ie: can I draw and write with someone else or does it have to be all me?

Hi film_gonzo, submissions should preferably be saved as web-friendly formats although realistically anything I can open in Photoshop is probably OK. 72dpi is ok, although if possible I'd prefer a 300dpi image that I can resize manually. Send your entry to fyshbowlcomics@gmail.com.

As for the co-working approach - I don't think we've ever had one before, but i don't see why not. Please make sure you mention both your names when you email me your entry though, so I can credit you correctly.

I think il do a page for this one :P
    ive drawn one out il mail it when ive renderd it.
    its only a quick thing tho 6 cells i mite submit it i dont know il see if i like it after i color it :o

Yo Fysh

count me in for this one too!:pac:

yawn so whats going on with the next one i want to seeeeeeeeeeee them :(

• Advertisement

Round 12 is under way and will be complete by the end of August. I've had a couple of pages through already, which is promising, so hopefully we'll have a good range of material for everyone to read :)

Advertisement