Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comic Creator Challenge

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

unoriginal and lazy sounds good, and if my employment changes i will actually be able to produce little bits of comics again. tis not really possible with my current lifestyle. damn social life

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Right, the site has updated with the latest entries.

Round 7 to start on Feb 1st, so we need to decide on a theme by then. "Lazy gis" wouldn't be my first choice, but I can see how it might apply ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Briony Noh

It's awful quiet around here, isn't it. Almost spookily so. I'm sc-c-cared.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

C-c-come out, come out, wh-wherever you arrrrr...

(Curses, gave away my piratic inclinations)

Anyway. Last theme suggestions to be in for Sunday, I'll choose one early next week then we're away for the next round as of Feb 1st.

I've resisted suggesting themes because, given the series format I'm using in Hellhunter, the challenge for me was to work the theme into the narrative (or the narrative around the theme).

Then again, some might think I wanted a particular theme because it suited the next stage of my story. That said, I've been waiting for someone to suggest "Confession" or "Discovery" for ages, as I feel sure they must eventually come up, cos I do, indeed, have plot elements concerning those themes pencilled out in the back of my mind.

Of course, the same could be said of anyone who has a handy few pages already drawn and ready to go under the heading of, say, "Intruder Alert " or "Mandibil Meanderings" and, although I've got an opening and a few notional ideas for "Lazy wotsit" since it was originally mooted, I had another idea I'd like to throw into the pot instead that has had me thinking for a little while now and, even though I'll probably be treating it within the Hellhunter format, I don't strictly see how that fact can give me anything like a head-start - in fact it seems a million miles away from anything I've been planning for the series. You know, if anyone was keeping track of these things, at all.

My theme suggestion: "What to do with a dwarf chained up in your cellar".

Just kidding. My real suggestion:

"Consolation"

People say 'if it's any consolation' at the drop of a hat - 'if it's any consolation, it was a horrible hat, anyway' - they look for consolation in the weirdest places - horoscopes, religion, others' misfortune - they, by which I mean we, offer it when it isn't needed or clumsily when it is, or worse, fail to provide it when it is the only obvious and right thing to do.

So there it is. A lot of words in support of one. Anyone interested?

• Advertisement

Right, next challenge is on. Comics to be done by the 1st of March. The theme is "Solace".

Let's get cracking!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

can i submit my hourly comic day comic, im sure i can bull**** it to fit the solace theme somehow :p

Not exactly much of a challenge in that case though, is it? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

Panic! panic! Draw! Draw!

Extension?

Panic!

Oh, alrighty....I'll extend the deadline to Monday (originally wanted to have everything in for the weekend so I could update the site, but I'll be up in Dublin/on the beer for significant chunks of the weekend so never mind).

And now, back to panicking :D

• Advertisement

Gah. I currently have no broadband at home. Again. For reasons best not discussed. Anyway. This means the entries received thus far will go up tomorrow/thursday on the site, and if any of ye have anything yet to send in, let me know.

*stares pointedly at Murra*

Illness and a new found will to not rush it means my entry probably won't be ready before the end of the week. I will post it after it's all done but it might not be part of the 'official' challenge. I really suck at deadlines :p

Hmm. Given my current internet access grief, I probably wont get a chance to update the site until the weekend anyway, so sure send me on a copy whenever you get it finished and I'll put it up with the rest :)

Site update should be done at some stage today, I'll post up again when it's there for everyone to look at.

In the meantime, Round 8. I figure we should start it as of next Monday and set the deadline as the end of april, to try and keep things rolling. I'd like a light-hearted theme this time round, so I was thinking along the lines of something daft like "Bananas or Grapefruits?". What say ye?

Round 7 now online

Round 8 theme currently under discussion. Any suggestions?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭thumbninja

you should ask this guy to enter ;)

monster a day turned into a comic a month

how about 'back' ?
    or blue?

or 'johny cash ate my dingo'

(ah I'm just bitter cause didn't get to do one myself for round 7)

Johnny Cash's dingo ate my grapefruit? Anything to do with eating has to be funny, but few can be as funny as Johnny Cash's grapefruit-noshing dingo ate my fisherman's friend. (I'm sorry, all my comedy comes from the summer of 1966).

BTW, anyone who missed my entry last month, it's repeated again this month - twice! Fair enough, it was a double-entry at the time, but I swear to you I *did* do one for this month (and I got it in on time fer once). Even so, until Kyle gets around to putting it up, you now have *three* opportunities to see my bumper double-issue size entry for The Gift and Pidgeon Lady for December/January - or do I mean November/December, I've lost track??

Thanks, you guys. It's such an honour ...

Ah, nuts. I knew it was too good to be true, thinking that I'd managed to do an update without fudging anything. Sorry 'bout that, I'll sort it when I get home from work today. D'OH!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Briony Noh wrote:
    BTW, anyone who missed my entry last month, it's repeated again this month - twice! Fair enough, it was a double-entry at the time, but I swear to you I *did* do one for this month (and I got it in on time fer once).

I was thinking this your entry this month looked remarkably familiar :rolleyes:

And you thought telly was bad enough, nothing but repeats and reality shows ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Briony Noh wrote:
    And you thought telly was bad enough, nothing but repeats and reality shows ...

Ah now, it's not quite up to the standard of Big Brother just yet ;)

I don't know, though. When was the last time everyone got voted off in Big Brother - at the same time! (You can't count the times you wished they'd all get voted off)

(Geordy voice) Day fifty-four in the Big Bother hoose an it's just like day three ... again ...

Right, that's sorted and up to date. For the record, Briony Noh's entries this time round are here and here.

Heheh I'm lazy, might have to stop saying I'm going to enter until I actually have it done. But I will be posting it when I eventually get off my ass and finish it ;)

Righty-ho, new theme is "Johnny Cash's dingo ate my grapefruit". Deadline is, oh, let's say the end of April.

On your marks...
    Get set....
    DRAW!

hehe I'll be sitting this one out since eh... what's that comic staring at me giving me a guilt trip?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Hoovers

Hey Fysh,

Finally got round to getting something off the ground for Johnny Cash's Dingo so just wondering what's the recommended size/resolution/format for emailing the my entry?

Cheers,

Igor...

Size isn't really a problem as I can always resize them myself if needed. 600 pixels wide is a recommended minimum to avoid ending up with small images or pixelated large images. As for dpi, whatever you want. I may end up dropping the images to 72dpi for conservation of space, but by all means send higher res versions if you've got them. Format wise, whatever you work in should be fine so long as Photoshop can open it if I need to change it. JPEG, GIF or PNG preferred though.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one working on this, I know a couple of people are, em, "less than impressed" at the choice of topic, but I have a decent enough idea for my entry. Just need to make time to draw the 9 pages the bloody script ended up at....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Hoovers

Sweet, thanks for the info. Should have it finished at the weekend so will get it off to you then.

I think its a great topic by the way!

Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Jonesy3110

Johnny Cash's dingo ate my grapefruit!! Damn I want to enter!! When I get a scanner Im totally gonna enter this, probably won't be for a while though :( Im gonna miss the end of April deadline - but I think the theme was awesome! Making something cool and original for this would be a real test on your creativity! I have my idea thought out and everything :( I might just draw it for practice, although I wont be able to submit it :( Next time I will for sure though!

Is this thing open to anyone to submit stuff?

Advertisement