Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Catholics be banned from the workplace

Options
  • 15-12-2005 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭

Given the views of Catholics with regards homosexual persons, should they be allowed be openly religious (crosses, talking about Mass, religious gossip etc.) in the workplace?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Sapien

Cantab. wrote:
    Given the views of Catholics with regards homosexual persons, should they be allowed be openly religious (crosses, talking about Mass, religious gossip etc.) in the workplace?

Why shouldn't they? (And what in Hades is religious gossip?)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Hmm, I think this might be best suited to Humanities.

In my opinion anyway, that would be a no. Fact is, most people in Ireland are "a la carte" Catholics, ie: they consider themselves to be Catholic, but do not take the Church's doctrine in its entirety. This means that displaying Catholic beliefs does not automatically make a person a homophobe. A person can be Catholic but still respect the diversity in the workplace. Similarly, employers should respect religious diversity and an employee's right to worship, as much as they respect a person's sexual orientation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Vangelis

That's very undemocratic if you ask me, even though I am not in favour of homosexuality.

What is undemocratic, and why is it undemocratic?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭bobbi

i agree catholic should be banned i don't want their values shoved in my face i'm sick of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

No.. I don't think Catholics do shove religion in the faces of others tbh and all Catholics do not agree with the Pope's views on homosexuality.

Overhearing someone telling a colleague they were at Mass earlier is hardly that traumatic or an act of homophobia!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Meh. I think no religous stuff should be allowed in the workplace. This includes crosses, pictures, veils, [strike]bombs[/strike], etc. All it does is alienate those who wear them, and sometimes intimitate others.

You want to ban catholics in a country where 80% would be catholics? Maybe not practising catholics, but still catholics. [sarc]But why stop at catholics? Why not ban the jews, islamic religons...[/sarc]:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Would David Hasslehoff t-shirts be banned too?

(Inaccurate thread title btw as for don't actually want to prevent Catholics from working)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

You will never stop me from wearing my lock of w.b. yeat's hair.

Hmm, religious symbols should not be banned. It's just an item of clothing got to do with personal belief, they are not forcing it on you and you can't stop somebody working because they talk about fr. sean giving a good mass tbh. Should there be only certain things allowed to be discussed at lunch...I think not....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There's enough bull**** PC stifling of freedom of expression in this world without another such thing.

If you're offending by something someone is wearing, then don't engage that person. You can't change the world to make it paletable to you - get over it.

Banning any religion from the workplace is just as much forcing your belief into their face as them being religious is forcing it into yours. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

What would you think if people asked that homosexual men act more manly in the workplace because they're sick of homosexuals pushing their "belief" around? It's an equivalent request.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭lazydaisy

No. Its discrimination. Its illegal and its immoral.

Prohibiting the contents of conversation is called censorship. Employers already have enough power thank you very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Cantab. wrote:

Wouldn't you have to apply this to muslims too? Or would the fact that they are a religious minority be enough to protect them from the wrath of the pc police?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

seamus wrote:
    What would you think if people asked that homosexual men act more manly in the workplace because they're sick of homosexuals pushing their "belief" around? It's an equivalent request.

Quite disingenious there Seamus, you are incorrect in saying that someones sexual orientation is "equivalent" to their religious beliefs.
    That would equate a lifestyle choice (religion) with a natural orientation (being gay), unless like the bible bashers you believe that people can be "Degayed" as is presently trendy in US religious circles.

I dont believe that anyone should be "banned" from anything because of their religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Why not just ban gays? far less of them compeered to Catholics and they can’t be offended anymore in the workplace problem solved with the majority kept happy \o/

Oh wait that sounds homophobic.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Quite disingenious there Seamus, you are incorrect in saying that someones sexual orientation is "equivalent" to their religious beliefs.
    That would equate a lifestyle choice (religion) with a natural orientation (being gay), unless like the bible bashers you believe that people can be "Degayed" as is presently trendy in US religious circles.
    Well, that's kind of my point. Many catholics believe that homosexuality is a choice. So, for them it is an equivalent request. Many of the Bible bashers would also swear to you that they are not catholic out of choice (rather it's just what they are).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Why should people who think homosexuality is wrong be banned from the workplace ? Surely they've as much right to their opinion, as those who think that homosexuality is right ?

Personally I think that if people want to believe homosexuality is wrong and they're all going to hell, that's their personal business. Similarly if other people want to go home every night and have sex with their same-gendered partner that's their personal business. Personal business should never be brought into the workplace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

If the Pope is so much against homosexuality why does he go around dressed like a queen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Vangelis wrote:
    That's very undemocratic if you ask me, even though I am not in favour of homosexuality.

How can you be in favour/not in favour of homosexuality? Why do homophobes try to make it sound like an "Issue" instead of a sacred part of someone's being nobody should touch?
    Meh. I think no religous stuff should be allowed in the workplace. This includes crosses, pictures, veils, bombs, etc. All it does is alienate those who wear them, and sometimes intimitate others.

I don't agree with that. I feel naked without my Ankh. Crosses do have a bit more weight to them than other religious symbols because of the whole proselytizing business, but it's still not a huge deal.
    Why should people who think homosexuality is wrong be banned from the workplace ? Surely they've as much right to their opinion, as those who think that homosexuality is right ?

Must correct this; one is a prejudice, the other is not. Plus you're forgetting that there are gay people as well as people that are "for" gay people. There are no "anti-homosexuals", per say, that pro gay people are discriminating against. If there were, then they would have "Just as much right". So no, it's not an equal stance, not to mention the kind of destruction people like Pat Robertson cause using their "views", but yes, it's stupid to ban them from the workplace unless they cause trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Here we go again....(again)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Hagar wrote:
    If the Pope is so much against homosexuality why does he go around dressed like a queen?

Genius XD

Rozie wrote:

Must correct this; one is a prejudice, the other is not. Plus you're forgetting that there are gay people as well as people that are "for" gay people.

Thinking homosexuality is wrong doesn't make you prejudiced.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Blub2k4 wrote:
    Meh. Convert the heathens (catholics, islamics, etc) to paganism. Problem solved. Then we can look foward to Valhalla, and sacrifice those who don't convert by the due date:cool:
    Ankh
    Ah. The ancient Egyptian symbol of life.
    "anti-homosexuals"
    Its called homophobe. As in hating all homo's, no matter which of the 4 letters they choose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭EOA_Mushy

bobbi wrote:
    i agree catholic should be banned i don't want their values shoved in my face i'm sick of it

Two way system. (or many way, how many religion's are there) Apart from the overly happy clapper types. Wouldnt mind them being removed from life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Thinking homosexuality is wrong for YOU doesn't make you prejudiced.
    Thinking that it is wrong for anyone else and the world in general is prejudiced.

the_syco wrote:
    Meh. Convert the heathens (catholics, islamics, etc) to paganism. Problem solved. Then we can look foward to Valhalla, and sacrifice those who don't convert by the due date:cool:

Sounds like you need a better defination of paganism and pagans :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭patzer117

wow, are people serious here?

I'm fed up defending Catholics against people but the idea that they shold be banned from workplaces is far too stretched. Why not ban the Hijab in public? Oh, that's right, freedom of expression - that right that everyone has.

If you want to join in the church bashing parade, do so, make your own mistakes, but don't go sprouting nonsense that will harm completely innocent people. Don't lump all Catholics together. If someone says something you disagree with, challenge them, but be polite. If someone wears something that offends you, be aware that what you say may offened them, but if you feel it necessary, tell them it makes you feel uncomfortable. But to be honest i don't know anyone that goes around wearing a cross outside all their clothes saying 'i love Jesus, All gays should be shot' cause that doesn't happen.

As for the homesexual arguement, being gay isn't a choice, being camp is. Being gay isn't a choice, practising it is. The Catholic church is against practising homosexuals (and non married practising heterosexuals). Whether that is right or wrong is your own view but don't try to restrict my freedom when I haven't done anything wrong. If me being a Catholic, and professing to being a Catholic, insults you, then you have some serious problems of your own to deal with.

(a now very angry) patzer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Rozie wrote:
    Must correct this; one is a prejudice, the other is not. Plus you're forgetting that there are gay people as well as people that are "for" gay people. There are no "anti-homosexuals", per say, that pro gay people are discriminating against. If there were, then they would have "Just as much right". So no, it's not an equal stance, not to mention the kind of destruction people like Pat Robertson cause using their "views", but yes, it's stupid to ban them from the workplace unless they cause trouble.
    I think I see what you're saying here, that one point of view is 'ok' and the other is not. For what it's worth I agree with you on that much. The thing is, I see myself as a bit of a libertarian, the way I see it is that people have a right to think homosexuality is wrong, and that homosexuals are evil and will go to hell, as long as they don't inflict this view on others. It's not for me or you or anyone else to dictate what the 'correct' way of thinking is.

For example, I think it would be fine to have a catholic working in a HR department, with the power the hire and fire people. Even if they think homosexuality is wrong, that's their personal view and as far as I'm concerned they're entitled to it, as long as it doesn't interefere with their work duties i.e. they treat job applicants or employees the exact same way they would treat any other job applicant or employess. In fact, I think that excluding homophobes from a job would be just as bad a discrimination as any discrimination against homosexuals would be.

<edit>
    Rozie wrote:
    but yes, it's stupid to ban them from the workplace unless they cause trouble.
    Oops, I missed this the first time I read your post, I guess we agree so.
    </edit>

Btw, I know that Pope John Paul II, on several occasions, called for greater tolerance towards homosexuals and I think that Benedict XVI has aswell, so I think that anyone who would discriminate against homosexuals because of their catholocism is actuall going against the teachings of the Catholic church

Yes

Thaedydal wrote:
    Thinking that it is wrong for anyone else and the world in general is prejudiced.

Hardly. I think that all homosexual acts by anyone are evil and still be tolerant of them.

• Advertisement

Why do you tolerate evil? Surely it should be opposed where possible?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement