Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man made God in his own image.

Options
  • 15-12-2005 2:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

Don't tell me that Space Cadets is the biggest hoax in history, if you're reading this you probably already know what The Great Hoax was and continues to be for some. Or should that be The Great Hope?

They say God made man in his own image but it seems to me that Man made God in his own image. But not quite, more an image of what he dreamed of being rather than what he is. A relatively simple form of life with aspirations of greatness far beyond his capabilities.

Discuss.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

Despatch wrote:
    Discuss.
    Is that an order ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Well yes I would think that is quite true. It is also a bit odd that people would believe that humans are special over any other of "god's" creations. We are special, we are going to heaven! Nothing but humans get in though...in all the universe - we are his best creation, perfection...sigh...
    A relatively simple form of life with aspirations of greatness far beyond his capabilities.
    Indeed, arrogance sums up the human race as a whole for me tbh....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Despatch wrote:
    Discuss.
    How to irk posters from the get go...
    There is a lot of it out there, but IMO the idea of a benevolent god who walks among us is borne of need for the most part.

It's when your position as one of gods "chosen" people enables you to interfere with the lives and rights of others that the arrogance creeps in.

If we made god in our image, what does that say about those who follow the spaghetti monster or the IPU? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

Can the initial poster give an example where man projects beyond himself in any other realm of life?

From my reading of Freud, Feuerbach, et al, the argument that man reaches up to an imaginary God is a deduction from the not at all suggestive observation that man tends to reach down in his private life on a sexual, emotional and intellectual level.

Or to put it another way, from where did the idea of perfection come?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭bobbi

christianity is the biggest hoax of all time :D

• Advertisement

bobbi wrote:
    christianity is the biggest hoax of all time :D
    Glad we cleared that one up. :|

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭thetourist

It is also a bit odd that people would believe that humans are special over any other of "god's" creations. We are special, we are going to heaven! Nothing but humans get in though...in all the universe - we are his best creation, perfection...sigh...

is that the accepted theology of christian religions then .... i never heard that before ...... my own understanding was that man was the only one who "fell" and so the only one of the species that needed "salvation" - i had assumed that this meant all other species were never going anywhere else !!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

> Or to put it another way, from where did the idea of perfection come?

Plato.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

If god made man in his own image how come we don't all look the same?
    Maybe he was Chinese.They all look alike.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭UU

Yeah I'd have to agree with Despatch. I too think that man created God as I don't believe in a God as such but rather a "Living God" which is humankind and an Infinite Energy. An Australian friend of mine believes that we become God when we die - sort of like the Scientologist belief that we reach the 8th dynamic of Infinity in the end (I better not tell her that as I don't want to insult her!)

Anyway, I set up a similar thread in the Philosophy forum, it is called "Recreating God Afresh" http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054859558. I discussed how our ancestors created God long ago and God's keepers banished Him to heaven as they couldn't control people's different beliefs. Go on, have a read!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭18AD

If the collective unconscious is real and all encompassing then all that is is the body of god. We're just gods within god, made in his image, body and mind.
    But that's nonsense :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

18AD wrote:
    If the collective unconscious is real and all encompassing then all that is is the body of god. We're just gods within god, made in his image, body and mind.
    But that's nonsense :rolleyes:

Yes, you are very correct, that statement is nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

Arrogant compared to what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

compared to non-arrogant people

everyone knows god is 10 foot tall, wears a white cloak, long white beard, and lives in heaven in the clouds

he also enjoys sitting on his trone, and im sure he has a huge pointy hat and decorates heaven with lots of crosses

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Despatch wrote:
    They say God made man in his own image but it seems to me that Man made God in his own image.

Yes true, but you can have great fun going into some of the churches in the south of the USA and telling them that God must be black since the first humans were black ...

Just make sure you have a fast get away car ... eee-yaahh!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭archdukefranz

Well yes I would think that is quite true. It is also a bit odd that people would believe that humans are special over any other of "god's" creations. We are special, we are going to heaven! Nothing but humans get in though...in all the universe - we are his best creation, perfection...sigh...

Oh aren't we lucky that there are humble people like yourself to show us arogant folk how we should behave....

sigh indeed

Christianity doesn't bring up the issue of dogs and cats getting into heaven thats an assumtion based on it not being mentioned, similar to the question did adam have a belly button, I imagine it didn't really seem worth putting in.

We have to assume that there we are the most intelligent because we can't find anything that we understand to be more intelligent, we are actively looking you know.

Also anyone yet considered that perhaps in Gods image doesnt necessarily mean physical appearance?

Despatch wrote:
    Don't tell me that Space Cadets is the biggest hoax in history, if you're reading this you probably already know what The Great Hoax was and continues to be for some. Or should that be The Great Hope?

They say God made man in his own image but it seems to me that Man made God in his own image. But not quite, more an image of what he dreamed of being rather than what he is. A relatively simple form of life with aspirations of greatness far beyond his capabilities.

Discuss.

Depends on the God, some men made their God in the image of an elephant, some look physically like men but don't act like men...

Your question seems more like a statement
    A call for all athiests to unite in their disbelief...

I say to thee "meh"

Also anyone yet considered that perhaps in Gods image doesnt necessarily mean physical appearance?
    Okay, I'll bite.

I presume you're not suggesting that God shares the same mental state as humans? Though, that would (for me) explain a lot of actions if he suffered from anger, pride, jealousy and a dollop of schadenfreude.

What other image is there?

Okay, I'll bite.

I presume you're not suggesting that God shares the same mental state as humans? Though, that would (for me) explain a lot of actions if he suffered from anger, pride, jealousy and a dollop of schadenfreude.

What other image is there?

God being a completely perfect being would hardly suffer anything
    but he does get angry, he is a Jealous God (in his own words), he is proud (A sense of one's own proper dignity or value; self-respect), no schadenfreude.

I was refering to all our abilities, we are able to love for example, something I'm not sure anything else is able to do.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

God being a completely perfect being would hardly suffer anything
    but he does get angry, he is a Jealous God (in his own words), he is proud (A sense of one's own proper dignity or value; self-respect), no schadenfreude.
    if this god is a completely perfect being, he would not get angry nor jealous nor be proud, That sounds more like a powerful human than anything else.
    God said he is jealous, reference!
    I was refering to all our abilities, we are able to love for example, something I'm not sure anything else is able to do.
    Oh yes, animals can't love, i forgot.

Oh aren't we lucky that there are humble people like yourself to show us arogant folk how we should behave....

sigh indeed
    So what makes humans so special, we evolved just like everything else on this planet and we have no diffences apart from we are a little more technologically and mentally advanced than those around us. yes, people are lucky to have people like me,ghandhi, einstein and less like the pope.
    :v:
    We have to assume that there we are the most intelligent because we can't find anything that we understand to be more intelligent, we are actively looking you know.
    oh we must, must we? what do you know of the universe? how big it is, how many htere may be? we have seen practically noting of it in our little corner, shock that we are not the centre of it eh.

• Advertisement

if this god is a completely perfect being, he would not get angry nor jealous nor be proud, That sounds more like a powerful human than anything else.
    In your definition of perfect, which in itself is not perfect?
    God said he is jealous, reference!
    No
    Oh yes, animals can't love, i forgot.
    In the way we use love today, a slab of cheese could love
    however not unconditionally

So what makes humans so special, we evolved just like everything else on this planet and we have no diffences apart from we are a little more technologically and mentally advanced than those around us. yes, people are lucky to have people like me,ghandhi, einstein and less like the pope.
    yeah I would definately put you and ghandhi in the same category *cough*
    a little? the animals around us haven't even mastered the use of tools!
    The majority can't even hold them!
    We on the other hand have reached the level of communication where we can talk real time with someone on the other side of the planet.
    oh we must, must we? what do you know of the universe? how big it is, how many htere may be? we have seen practically noting of it in our little corner, shock that we are not the centre of it eh.
    Its a lot bigger than it was a second ago.
    Not really, the centre sucks, here is much better...
    nope don't know how big it is, that kind of information isn't all that important to me either, I haven't yet got the means of getting from one end to the other.
    There is an infinite amount of things to learn, you can't compare what we know to what we don't, it will always look just as small now or 50 million years away

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

Hagar wrote:
    If god made man in his own image how come we don't all look the same?

To continue this. If god made us in his own image, why did he make apes, kind of in his own image?

Were they test runs?

In the way we use love today, a slab of cheese could love however not unconditionally
    I'd love a slab of cheese right now. ;)

You mention pride - do you think he is proud of his creation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

Must be Swiss cheese he's on about ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

But envy and pride are sins. Surely any rough definition of a perfect god must exclude him from sinning?

In your definition of perfect, which in itself is not perfect?
    What you mentioned are not perfections, they are even major fall downs for humans let alone a god. Your God shouldn't sin, should he?
    Something perfect would be above that.

In the way we use love today, a slab of cheese could love
    however not unconditionally
    er ...ya ...

If something dies to protect it's child, you wouldn't call that unconditional love?
    a little? the animals around us haven't even mastered the use of tools!
    The majority can't even hold them!
    We on the other hand have reached the level of communication where we can talk real time with someone on the other side of the planet.
    In the scheme of things, we are only a little yes. In everyday life, sure we have phones, tools, etc, that makes us inherently superior?
    If I am smarter than somebody, I am better than them?

There is an infinite amount of things to learn, you can't compare what we know to what we don't, it will always look just as small now or 50 million years away
    In 50 million years we could probably more I'd say! Then again we would have continued evolving and mayhaps be quite smarter. In 50 million years I would say a human would consider us no more than an 'animal'.
    Then again it's not like we are going to last that long.

Even I would be let down b this creation, give myself a good old kick in the imaginary ass.
    :)

I'd love a slab of cheese right now. ;)

he saw what he made and said that it was good...
    seems like pride to me

What you mentioned are not perfections, they are even major fall downs for humans let alone a god. Your God shouldn't sin, should he?
    For God to sin he would have to go against Gods will....
    I don't believe that would make any sense
    in your definition of perfect
    If something dies to protect it's child, you wouldn't call that unconditional love?
    nope

In the scheme of things, we are only a little yes. In everyday life, sure we have phones, tools, etc, that makes us inherently superior?
    If I am smarter than somebody, I am better than them?
    "better" is too broad, narrow it down
    better for what purpose?

In 50 million years we could probably more I'd say! Then again we would have continued evolving and mayhaps be quite smarter. In 50 million years I would say a human would consider us no more than an 'animal'.
    Then again it's not like we are going to last that long.
    perhaps, but as I said in comparison to what there is to know, we will still know "nothing" 50 million multiplied by 0
    Even I would be let down b this creation, give myself a good old kick in the imaginary ass.
    :)

According to your set of morals, the creation isn't as you like it you mean?
    Does that mean that no God could have created it and have pride in it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

in your definition of perfect
    Out of interest, what's your definition of perfect?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭3greenrizla's

Your God shouldn't sin, should he?

....perhaps that is what is meant by god made man in his own image, isn't our ableity to sin and lie that set's us apart......

the speach from Pulp Fiction comes to mind.

Advertisement