Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recreating "God" afresh

Options
  • 06-12-2005 9:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

I originally posted this on the Christianity forum but it is better suited here in philosophy.

4,000 years ago, our elders began the creation of possibly man's greatest work of art, a portrait this time in words on papyrus, a portrait of "God". It was an invitation for us to recreate "God" afresh in our minds with each and every generation. But this was not to be; "God's" keepers, realising that they would have no control over our creations, hustled "Him" to safety in heaven, metaphorically turning his portrait to the wall.

I hold my own personal beliefs, by not accepting "God" as a being but as described in the poem "Song Of Myself" by Walt Whitman as everything around us - a process of living:

And I say to mankind, Be not curious about God,
    For I, who am curious about each, am not curious about God;
    No array of terms can say how much I am at peace about God, and about death.

I hear and behold God in every object, yet understand God not in the least,
    Nor do I understand who there can be more wonderful than myself.

Why should I wish to see God better than this day?
    I see something of God each hour of the twenty-four, and each moment then;
    In the faces of men and women I see God, and in my own face in the glass;
    I find letters from God dropt in the street—and every one is sign’d by God’s name,
    And I leave them where they are, for I know that wheresoe’er I go,
    Others will punctually come forever and ever.

People have long explored the real world of the Enlightenment, and will continue to do so. But I think we may now have something else to offer, namely the chance to find "God" afresh, not as a being, but in the process of living, as implied by Whitman above. Nobody will ever know what you will find in your letters from "God", no one can tell you what you should find; that is private correspondence. This is why many of the established faiths can't stand it; they have no control, the living "God" is one we create ourselves.

If we can create an environment in which people can come to be inspired, not just to search, but to recreate for themselves the "God" that religion has banished to heaven, then we will truly become a force for good.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Laplandman

See, they return; ah, see the tentative
    Movements, and the slow feet,
    The trouble in the pace and the uncertain
    Wavering!

See, they return, one, and by one,
    With fear, as half-awakened;
    As if the snow should hesitate
    And murmur in the wind,
    and half turn back;
    These were the "Wing'd-with-Awe,"
    Inviolable,

Gods of the wingéd shoe!
    With them the silver hounds,
    sniffing the trace of air!

Haie! Haie!
    These were the swift to harry;
    These the keen-scented;
    These were the souls of blood.

Slow on the leash,
    pallid the leash-men!

"The Return", by Ezra Pound (big old fascist)

...OK, a bit off topic!
    But seriously, what makes you think that all of a sudden the world is somehow 'ripe' for God?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement