Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man made God in his own image.

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

For God to sin he would have to go against Gods will....
    I don't believe that would make any sense

:aside: Sin doesn't exist to me, the only meaning it really has to me is the ordinate of the endpoint of an arc of a unit circle centered at the origin of a Cartesian coordinate system, the arc being of length x and measured counterclockwise from the point (1, 0) if x is positive or clockwise if x is negative.
    (:

anyway, yes a God could sin. How do you define a god for one before I could start getting into anything.
    Sin can be deliberate disobedience to the known will of a God that you believe in.
    Something regarded as being shameful, deplorable, or utterly wrong.
    To commit an offense or violation.
    A god could do these things, Anybody can act and do act contrary to their own will.

in your definition of perfect
    Perfect for me: By no means 'my' definition alone.
    Being without defect or blemish.
    Pure; undiluted; unmixed.
    Excellent and delightful in all respects.
    Of, relating to, or constituting a verb form expressing action completed prior to a fixed point of reference in time.

What is your definition of perfect?
    The God you are speaking of is proud is it? Yet it said pride is a sin?
    Pefection is different for everybody, people live by a set of moral codes, through instinct, society and their personal self. Something perfect to me can do no wrong and would be above human flaws such as pride, envy and especially anger.
    nope
    So, em what is unconditional love for you then?
    Clearly it is love without condition that any human and animal can have.

"better" is too broad, narrow it down
    better for what purpose?
    Better s in, of more worth, having the right over them that you would claim over an animal.
    Apes use tools to dig for water when surface water is dirty, nuclear power was mastered 2 billion years before humans existed by other organisms, why are we better? Oh because God made us especially did it?
    You believe in 7 day creation and adam and eve?

perhaps, but as I said in comparison to what there is to know, we will still know "nothing" 50 million multiplied by 0
    Em it doesn't work like that, multiplication won't come into it, we only add to our knowledge.

According to your set of morals, the creation isn't as you like it you mean?
    Does that mean that no God could have created it and have pride in it
    How do you define a god?
    clearly the god you are talking about is the one people go on about creating us and the one there fore that has pride in his creation, this means you dismiss evolution and believe in the 'and god said it was good line'?

he saw what he made and said that it was good...
    seems like pride to me
    In your definition of pride.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭archdukefranz

Crucifix wrote:
    Out of interest, what's your definition of perfect?
    Without flaw, but I was questioning his ability to be objective in determining flaws...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

What's with all this talk of "perfection"? Do any of you really think it contributes to an argument for/against God? Perfection is perfection is perfection. The word means little when discussing an entity who has supposedly carved out all of existence.

Could someone please explain why it's so important in a discussion about God?

Oh, and God doesn't exist you sillies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭bounty

i think my mam is perfect tbh

and she did create me.... and she still does my washing... im beginning to supect shes leading a double life...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Heh I was just thinking that this morning, my parents created me (in their own image no less), try to make my life as good as possible...maybe I should worship them. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

... this morning, my parents created me
    You're only a day old? :eek: :D

morbert: lies, damned lies! ;)

bluewolf wrote:

morbert: lies, damned lies! ;)
    I keep telling myself(whilst rocking in a ball) that it is immaculate to.
    *shudder*
    But yes, One day give or take.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

bluewolf wrote:
    It may seem like it sometimes, but Tar wasn't born yesterday...

;)

create? isn't that to make out of nothing???
    your parents didn't even make you, you came out of their body.
    You are part of what God made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

As I refuse to believe in a fairy story - No I'm not
    As far as I am concerned the only entity that created me, was and continues to be me. I am made in my own image of myself and I own the copyright. The world I live in influences the thought processes and ways of viewing myself that I use, but ultimately the blame has to lie with myself.
    If for no other reason I can't blame anyone or anything else for the fcuk-ups I make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

your parents didn't even make you, you came out of their body.

What a load of hog wash.
    1. Create has many meanings, only one of them is to create out of nothing and that definition refers specifically to the religious connotation of create (Webster 9th new Colligate).
    2. What on earth do you mean by your parents didn't even make you, you came out of their body. Now you sound like our fundie friends with their aged rocks, Polar Bears and other nonsense, Next thing you will tell me is God is sitting up there holding his magic embryonic wand waiting to catch a couple in the act so he can impart some new life. He must have felt really cheated when they CREATED dolly the cloned sheep. It is a hard fact of life that for two humans to reproduce naturally you need 1 sperm and 1 egg to produce an embryo. I know my mum never slept with God, and my dad would have a lot to say to God if he had. My mum did sleep with my dad and together they made me in their own likeness. If you have some contradictory proof of that I will be most happy to hear it and pass it on to the Old Man for you.
    3. I am not part of what God made, I am part of what YOU think God made. Gee, I do hope I am not just an illusion in someone's eyes.

legspin wrote:
    As I refuse to believe in a fairy story - No I'm not
    As far as I am concerned the only entity that created me, was and continues to be me. I am made in my own image of myself and I own the copyright. The world I live in influences the thought processes and ways of viewing myself that I use, but ultimately the blame has to lie with myself.
    If for no other reason I can't blame anyone or anything else for the fcuk-ups I make.

you can't be made in your own image...

you are entitled to your disbelief

• Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭Morbert

Don't take it so literally or you'll miss the point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

you are entitled to your disbelief

Whose image of me am I supposed to made in? The image of myself I have is the only image I will countenance.

You are the same, even down to the thoughts YOU have. Who else has the correct image of yourself? And you are the only onemaking that.
    I have an image of you but you would probably find it insulting, and I am more than willing to admit I am wrong, indeed I would guarantee I am.
    But your image of you is still the only that truly matters.
    Letting anyone else define your own personal image is a dangerous precedent to set and leaves you open to all sorts of abuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

No, not really. Well technically everything was created at the instant of the big bang, possibly out of "nothing" or possibly out of something we have no concept for.

But with relation to what you are made out of, you are made out of the food you consumed, and the food your parents consumed. The human body regenerates 98% of its cells every 3 months, which basically means 98% of you didn't exist 3 months ago. It takes a lot of food to regenerate 100 trillion cells every 12 weeks. There are only a small amount of cells that stay with you from birth to death, mostly in the spinal cord and brain. The average life of a human cell is 10 years, so even things like bone that you would think are pretty stead fast get updated and regenerated.

The food was other animals and plants which in turn made out of the food they consumed. You can go all the way back to Hydrogen atoms being turned into more complex atoms in side a star, and you can trace the hydrogen atoms back to the big bang.

God doesn't really come into it at any of these stages. Even if God exists, he didn't create you, he didn't create your parents or their parents etc etc. Suppose it is possible he created the big bang, and indirectly created everything, but he had very little role in you specifically

legspin wrote:
    Whose image of me am I supposed to made in? The image of myself I have is the only image I will countenance.

You are the same, even down to the thoughts YOU have. Who else has the correct image of yourself? And you are the only onemaking that.
    I have an image of you but you would probably find it insulting, and I am more than willing to admit I am wrong, indeed I would guarantee I am.
    But your image of you is still the only that truly matters.
    Letting anyone else define your own personal image is a dangerous precedent to set and leaves you open to all sorts of abuse.

you are allowing the many meanings of the word image to mislead you...

to be made in the image of is to be made in the likeness of, nothing to do with personal image etc.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 3,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Myksyk

Doesn't it say in John or something that "God is Spirit..." from which I take that the notion that we are made in his image must apply to our supposed souls not our physical appearance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Excelsior

Although your method is a little shaky, you are totally right. Our image bearingness is bound up in our ability to sub-create.

Advertisement