Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux Use In Dublin

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33 POE101

Over the last two years or so I have become an avid Linux/Ubuntu user and have been looking for an Irish based forum to discuss issues and help spread the word on what has become a real alternative to the default operating system on most machines.

Im amazed there isn't more support for your idea and does anyone know what would it take to have a dedicated forum here on boards.ie?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

If you really want to push the idea: http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Hosted_Forum

But in fairness I think there is no real benefit of a Irish Ubuntu forum over the ordinary Ubuntu forums, other than limiting potential users.

Besides the Unix forum isn't currently busy enough to justify a split.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

If you really want to push the idea: http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Hosted_Forum

But in fairness I think there is no real benefit of a Irish Ubuntu forum over the ordinary Ubuntu forums, other than limiting potential users.

Besides the Unix forum isn't currently busy enough to justify a split.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

Can't imagine it'd take off, this forum is pretty dead as it stands, and Ubuntu users would presumably be an even smaller group.

I think we'd be better served trying to get as much people to come here as possible and not split it, we'd probably end up with cross-posting or tons of moves anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭boomslang

Generally your better off at the distro's own forum. It just makes life easier and answers generally come quicker for issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

long time user of Ubuntu.
    Had issues with a new printer/scanner driver
    I have given the Linux Mint variant a go and am impressed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

wine is open source software for for linux let you any windows/pc software on a linux computer

Wine is a free software application that aims to allow computer programs written for Microsoft Windows to run on Unix-like operating systems. Wine also provides a software library, known as Winelib, against which developers can compile Windows applications to help port them to Unix-like systems. Wine is both an emulator & a compatibility layer. It duplicates functions of a Windows computer by providing alternative implementations of the DLLs that Windows programs call & a process to substitute for the Windows NT kernel. This method of duplication differs from other methods that might also be considered emulation, where windows programs run in a virtual machine. Wine is predominantly written using Black-box testing reverse-engineering, to avoid copyright issues. The name Wine initially was an acronym for WINdows Emulator.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    wine is open source software for for linux let you any windows/pc software on a linux computer
    No, not any.

For that you should look at Virtualbox.org or dosbox :pac:
    or other vm software

terminal services is also good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

petronius wrote: »
    long time user of Ubuntu.
    Had issues with a new printer/scanner driver
    I have given the Linux Mint variant a go and am impressed

What's the printer/scanner? Some manufacturers won't support Linux. I've a Brother scanner/printer and it's fully supported.

Mint is just a repackage of Ubuntu isn't it? It used to be anyway. Maybe it's become it's own Debian distro now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

No, not any.

For that you should look at Virtualbox.org or dosbox :pac:
    or other vm software

terminal services is also good

Ummmm wot?

Virtualbox or Vmware etc provide a platform to install a guest OS. So you'd install VirtualBox, install Windows in that, then install software in Windows. That's not the same as installing software in Linux.

Terminal Services relies on you having a Windows box that you can terminal into.

Your first three words are correct tho - wine does not allow any software to be installed in Linux - only supported software which is listed at wine-hq.

I'm sure there's a Capt'n Midnight WTF thread around here somewhere :p
    wampyrus77 wrote:
    Wine is both an emulator
    Wine Is Not an Emulator

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The point being that if you absolutely have to have a windows app on a non-windows box then a vm will work. You can run (almost) any windows app that way. ( of course you still need licenses and cals )

End users don't really care about the magic under the bonnet.

Advertisement