Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux Use In Dublin

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Good idea Psicic. Have you got the number of the Learning Resource people?

Right following up on Psicic's brainwave re using the Ilac library I rang them to see what the story is.

I was told by a Cathy McKenna that all we have to do is email her what the meeting is about (easy enough) and what date we'd like to hold it on. I presume if the date we select is booked out she'll suggest another.

So anyone interested in meeting up? Suggest a date here.

Opening hours are:
    Mon - Thurs: 10-8pm
    Fri & Sat: 10-5pm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

whats an LUG

Jakkass wrote:
    whats an LUG

LUG or Linux User Group is a bunch of ppl with varying levels of skill/experience using Linux. If you are interested in Linux but don't know how to install it you can get help doing so or if you have installed it but are trying to get your head around other aspects of Linux a LUG is where you'll get help. Answer your question?

Do you use Linux or are you interested in it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

If it's in the Ilac library and doesn't mess with work hours I'll surely go. Perhaps some of you can help me sort out my $Path problem and help me install and compile a new X.org server.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭uxman

sound col. **** me in!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

jaqian wrote:
    LUG or Linux User Group is a bunch of ppl with varying levels of skill/experience using Linux. If you are interested in Linux but don't know how to install it you can get help doing so or if you have installed it but are trying to get your head around other aspects of Linux a LUG is where you'll get help. Answer your question?

Do you use Linux or are you interested in it?
    I use Ubuntu is a linux user group all online, you could set up a wiki of some sort

• Registered Users Posts: 16 md5

I use Ubuntu 6.06 and I got Linux Systems Administrator Certificate in IACT. I like Linux for the secure system and new kernel releases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Hi,

I don't know if you guys are still doing Blug. I know you had some difficulty finding a venue. If your still looking for ideas, when i was in 2600, we used to meet upstairs in the IFI. Once we had been there a few times, and showed we could behave, they laid on extra surge protectors for our laptops. There were at least 2 wireless networks there for net access, and they know how to serve a good pint. They also served food for the hungry hackers amongst us.

Any one interested in a meet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭tck

Why don't you all join #ubuntu-ie on irc.freenode.org
    we are trying to start a nice irish ubuntu community.

Seeing as lots use ubuntu now, most other countries have their own community
    we should get the ball rolling for ours :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 drazha

Hey TCK and all...
    Well Ubuntu or not, as long as its Linux/Unix/whatever, come and join us on #ubuntu-ie for now...

See y'all!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,551 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Count me in too, im using Ubuntu 7.04 and have been for the last couple of years. Still havnt got a clue about it, but theres always someone there to help and its free too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Joined. There's a #unix.ie channel on quakenet too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

Count me in as well. Running Linux Mint at the moment but seeing issues and will probably revert back to 7.10 when i get some time on my hands to re-build my server. There is a lot to configure when changing so it might be a while. If anyone is interested in my Linux Mint annoyances i'd be glad to share.
    It's not something my gf is happy talking about :)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Fionn101

great , I'm in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

Count me in!

If you need webhosting I have a server with lots of room.

www.shanekillian.net ;)

By the way, are there any photographers using Ubuntu? - I've moved to gutsy 90% - Great for Photography!

bump... whats the story here

• Registered Users Posts: 14 spmccann

have all the linux users in dublin dissapeared :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

syngindub wrote: »
    Count me in as well. Running Linux Mint at the moment but seeing issues and will probably revert back to 7.10 when i get some time on my hands to re-build my server. There is a lot to configure when changing so it might be a while. If anyone is interested in my Linux Mint annoyances i'd be glad to share.

Id be delighted to hear about your problems

Im running Mint and i think its fantastic

G

• Advertisement

grahambo wrote: »

G

Cheers Graham, fortunately or unfortunatly i bit the bullit and built the server back to Gutsy Gibbon 7.10. It has been running very smooth for the past 4 months. How is the ubuntu channel on IRC going. I haven't had much of a chance to visit but will start making the effort.
    IROCK, i see you are offering to host a webpage. Is this a page dedicated to irish ubuntu users or are you open to serving a personal site for myself :). Unfortunatly my server only comes alive when i get home from work and weekends. As you know, when living with a woman it's impossible to leave a computer turned on 24/7

syngin

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

grahambo wrote: »
    syngindub wrote: »

G
    Me 2, thinking about switching to Mint but if it's flakey I won't bother.

i'm not saying it is flakey right now. The version i was running at the time was about 2 off the latest and greatest so that may have been the problem. It is still kind of progressing into it's own little niche market. There were problems i was having with running the updates, but think this was resolved in the new version. It's a lot harder work running these ubuntu spin off's i think espesially when it comes to servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Sherifu wrote: »
    Me 2, thinking about switching to Mint but if it's flakey I won't bother.

Mint isnt really flakey, the only problem ive had is that movie player didnt work but thats ok because MPLayer is installed by default. Just remove Movie player once installed and your away. it comes with all the codec etc so there is not fiddling around trying to install them. I had an awful problem with ubuntu where the hue saturation was never correct. never managed to fix it.

I wouldn't recommend using Mint as a server. its designed for desktops really.

The only thing I would like to see come with mint be default is Deluge and K3B. This OS does everything I need it to. I also really like Mint update and Mint software portal. Mint can use the ubuntu reps and almost all support on ubuntu can be applied to Mint.

forget the ubuntu hype. if you want a great live CD to play with or possibly install, run knoppix. class os.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Hello all,

I'm another absolute beginner here, i've managed to install ubuntu on an older laptop (Feisty Fawn). That all went well. I'm now trying to get the wireless network going on it. I have an eircom wirless router which is been picked up, i am prompted for the WEP key which i enter correctly but it does not want to connect for me.

I've tried a few commands from ubuntu forms sudo iwlist, etc/network/interfaces & ifconfig but cant make hear nor tail of what its giving me.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Things have got a lot more stable in this area in the past year or two.
    The latest Ubuntu 8.04 beta is the best yet imho.

As with setting up wireless connections there is a little patience required as i have noticed.
    Switching between a wired connection and a wireless connection means i open network settings, unselect wired, select wired, then (this is the most important) wait a few seconds until the progress bar appears. This needs to run before the settings get set. annoying at time. Is there an easier way to configure this with the shell.

syngin

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Cheers for that. I did a bit more rooting around and came across wifi-radar which ironed out my problem. Also put hardy heron on the laptop, all going well so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭spannerotoole

Yeah, sign me up. Also I have a techie forum, enough site pimping, have a look, if any members are interested, we can register a domain, and we can host ISO's for people.
    We just need to pool our resources. If we have enough users this is do-able

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

we can host ISO's for people

For when Heanet's bandwidth isn't quite enough :rolleyes:

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement