Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Linux Use In Dublin

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 gcdwebmaster

Hello all,

I'm another absolute beginner here, i've managed to install ubuntu on an older laptop (Feisty Fawn). That all went well. I'm now trying to get the wireless network going on it. I have an eircom wirless router which is been picked up, i am prompted for the WEP key which i enter correctly but it does not want to connect for me.

I've tried a few commands from ubuntu forms sudo iwlist, etc/network/interfaces & ifconfig but cant make hear nor tail of what its giving me.

Any help would be much appreciated.

I did have trouble with eircom wireless on Ubuntu 7.04, but I think it was the modem that was the fault and not the OS I messed round, with configuring the modem/wireless router which didn't initially work I had to configure it using the USB cable 1st and then it worked fine via the Network cable or Wirelessly! and no problems since.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I did have trouble with eircom wireless on Ubuntu 7.04, but I think it was the modem that was the fault and not the OS I messed round, with configuring the modem/wireless router which didn't initially work I had to configure it using the USB cable 1st and then it worked fine via the Network cable or Wirelessly! and no problems since.

On windows, I had the same issue with the Eircom modem but I was able to configure it with the USB way as stated in the booklet but NOT with the network cable!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 gcdwebmaster

Thanks, so I am not the only one who had trouble with the eircom modem! and on windows as well as linux.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 poectiofe

Useful topic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭cable842

Im in for that count me in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

Out of curiosity is there any Linux classes in Dublin?

Something mildly above idiot level :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Landyaddict

I'd be interested in knowing about classes also.
    I've searched around and most of the info I found is dated and the course's are expensive.

Thanks

can I join this user group. pm me Im mad interested. Ive done linux installs on 3 computers now for friends and they love linux

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Cliste wrote: »
    Out of curiosity is there any Linux classes in Dublin?

Something mildly above idiot level :D

IACT have a Linux System Administrator course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Grudaire

jaqian wrote: »
    IACT have a Linux System Administrator course.

That looks interesting. It looks like it would cover a lot, but at 2 grand it's a bit out of my budget... It wouldn't even need to be such an intense course, just something to force me through a lot of the basics (RTFM doesn't work with me!)

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

cable842 wrote: »
    can I join this user group. pm me Im mad interested. Ive done linux installs on 3 computers now for friends and they love linux

Hi there is no LUG here but you might be interested in www.linux.ie and http://www.ubuntu-ie.org/ who have meet ups every so often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Mean-Machine

jaqian wrote: »
    Hi there is no LUG here but you might be interested in www.linux.ie and http://www.ubuntu-ie.org/ who have meet ups every so often.

Speaking of Ubuntu-ie, we're having the first ever Ubuntu Hour tomorrow (Wednesday, Jan 6th) at 6pm in Trinity Capital Bar. Everyone's invited!

http://www.ubuntu-ie.org/node/72

crap I messed that meeting was it good. is it on again ?

cable842 wrote: »
    crap I messed that meeting was it good. is it on again ?

Going forward Ubuntu Hour will take place on the last Wednesday of each month commencing at 18:00 in the Trinity Capital Hotel, Dublin.

Consequently, the next Ubuntu Hour will take place on the 27th of January, 2010.

All are welcome.

The next release of Ubuntu (Lucid Lynx), is due on April 29th.
    There will be a geeknic on the May Bank holiday weekend, Sunday 2nd May 2010 starting at 1pm.
    For those unfamiliar with the term, a Geeknic is a picnic of geeks: http://geeknic.org/

The Geeknic will be followed-up in the Bull and Castle from 6pm onwards (or earlier if wet). Please sign-up and we can reserve some space.

Source: http://ubuntu-ie.org/

will there be free food ?
    The next release of Ubuntu (Lucid Lynx), is due on April 29th.
    There will be a geeknic on the May Bank holiday weekend, Sunday 2nd May 2010 starting at 1pm.
    For those unfamiliar with the term, a Geeknic is a picnic of geeks: http://geeknic.org/

The Geeknic will be followed-up in the Bull and Castle from 6pm onwards (or earlier if wet). Please sign-up and we can reserve some space.

Source: http://ubuntu-ie.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Why is Linux being discussed in a Unix forum ? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭MrVestek

Saganist wrote: »
    Why is Linux being discussed in a Unix forum ? :rolleyes:

GNU as an OS is very Unix-like in nature. This forum is for Unix and Unix like operating systems.

Achilles wrote: »
    GNU as an OS is very Unix-like in nature. This forum is for Unix and Unix like operating systems.

That's fine, but l don't see any topics on true Unix. All seems to be Linux, which is Unix.like, not Unix.

Still, 'tis your forum not mine so each to their own !

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

That's fine, but l don't see any topics on true Unix. All seems to be Linux, which is Unix.like, not Unix.

Add your voice to the baying crowd here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

As everyone knows, Linux is GNU/Linux, and GNU's Not Unix! :)

Commercial unix is dying on its arse. My workplace is going to be unix free by next year, but we will have more linux than windows.

Edit: More's to the point, are we city slickers going to allow our country cousins to out-do us.? would not reflect well if there was a "Boards Unix/Linux Ballygowherever Group" but shag-all in Dublin :(

Life ain't always empty.

ninja900 wrote: »
    As everyone knows, Linux is GNU/Linux, and GNU's Not Unix! :)

Commercial unix is dying on its arse. My workplace is going to be unix free by next year, but we will have more linux than windows.

Edit: More's to the point, are we city slickers going to allow our country cousins to out-do us.? would not reflect well if there was a "Boards Unix/Linux Ballygowherever Group" but shag-all in Dublin :(

My place is still 70% Unix ( mostly solaris sparc, with some IBM AIX servers ) and 25% Windows with the remaining 5% ( and growing ) Linux RH.

Its unfortunate that Linux is taking over as imo it is a vastly inferior OS to Solaris, zfs and dtrace being the stand out "new" features.

Having said that, Oracle are doing a good job in scaring any potential new customers away from Solaris with their "wall of silence on any new updates and new releases etc ). Even Solaris x86 is better than any Linux distro out there.

Hopefully my place starts moving to Solx86 and steers clear of the Linux growth. I dont think its going to happen though. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

Picked on in school much?

FruitLover wrote: »
    Picked on in school much?

Nope.

You like reading through boards and coming up with smart arse replies ?

What I said is true.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 pedz

Count me in.

I've been an Admin for almost a year now. I'm heavily into AWS (EC2), VMware ESX Server and a die hard Debian/Ubuntu user

I live in Gorey (co Wexford) but I work in Dublin and I'm up for any excuse to have a session

• Registered Users Posts: 45 cantthinkof1

Count me in as a Linux user,

I have dipped in and out of Ubuntu and other distros over the years but always got scared off by the daunting command line.

Really liking 10.10 and the much improved Ubuntu Software Center. 16 year old daughter has converted over from Win7 and is loving it.

IF anyone can point me in the direction of a users group/club in the Dublin area I would be well up to joining.

One area I would like to get an understanding of is the directory & file structure of Linux as its very different to a Windows/FAT/NTFS setup

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

Count me in as a Linux user,

I have dipped in and out of Ubuntu and other distros over the years but always got scared off by the daunting command line.

Really liking 10.10 and the much improved Ubuntu Software Center. 16 year old daughter has converted over from Win7 and is loving it.

IF anyone can point me in the direction of a users group/club in the Dublin area I would be well up to joining.

One area I would like to get an understanding of is the directory & file structure of Linux as its very different to a Windows/FAT/NTFS setup

Here's a read on the directory structure: http://www.tuxfiles.org/linuxhelp/linuxdir.html

• Registered Users Posts: 12,959 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Why is Linux being discussed in a Unix forum ?
    Because calling it the POSIX forum would confuse a few people? IMHO, if the OS can compile and run UNIX code, then it's close enough for rock 'n' roll. :p

I should have posted here before: I played around with HP-UX and Linux at times, while working at HP, and got more heavily in to it when HP started reselling Polyserve, which ran on top of SuSE Enterprise. (HP did a Remington on Polyserve: liked them so much, they bought the company.) There is a Windows Server version of Polyserve, but it looked like a kludge compared to the Linux version, and more customers got the Linux version.

I don't work at HP any more: left to go to UCD. Since then I've used Ubuntu happily on my netbook, and am currently taking notes in university lectures with Xournal and writing papers in LyX. I've also had some fun figuring out how to use Linux on the university network e.g. getting LPD printing to work.

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭wampyrus77

any using android netbook or android phone or any nintendo device have only one thing in common they all have linux kernal os

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mathiasb

wampyrus77 wrote: »
    any using android netbook or android phone or any nintendo device have only one thing in common they all have linux kernal os

:D thanks for making me laugh, you crack me up!

Advertisement