Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom speed increases on the way download and upload speed increase

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I've been reading a lot of posts from people happy with their upgrades on this board and the broadband one. I am happy for you all but, the digital divide is just getting wider and wider. It's very depressing for those of us still on dial-up to sit and watch this. I'm seriously thinking of selling up and moving to broadband land.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I'm seriously thinking of selling up and moving to broadband land.:(
    Do. I would. I realise I would be considered mad by most people for such a stance but to me BB is more important then TV and phone but together; in other words think of the number of people who would move house to get phone and TV coverage if they couldn't were they are at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Hi all,

Just in my girlfriends and noticed something a bit strange...

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1536 256
    SN Margin (dB) 6.00 11.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 39.50 23.00
    CRC Errors 0 0

I thought 1 meg was going to 2 not 1.5 :S ?

I thought the sn was a bit high ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Blitz wrote:
    Hi all,

Just in my girlfriends and noticed something a bit strange...

Downstream Upstream
    Max Allowed Speed (kbps) 1536 256
    SN Margin (dB) 6.00 11.00
    Line Attenuation (dB) 39.50 23.00
    CRC Errors 0 0

I thought 1 meg was going to 2 not 1.5 :S ?

I thought the sn was a bit high ?
    Probably down to poor line quality, distance from the exchange or something in the house affecting it.
    BB is rate adaptive so it will adjust to the best capacity for the line.
    The SN reading looks very low actually. The higher that reading is the better.
    Disconnect everything from the phone line and plug the BB modem into the main phone socket without a filter (temporarily). Re-start the modem and see if it improves. Also make sure that filters are used on every device connected to the phone line.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Also remember that Eircoms BB products have overhead, so you should realistically get about 1.7 to 1.8m, no one will get 2m.

• Advertisement

bk wrote:
    Also remember that Eircoms BB products have overhead, so you should realistically get about 1.7 to 1.8m, no one will get 2m.
    Yes but you still sync at 2048; so the above connection will get ~1.3Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Ryujin

Still only on 1Mb here, anyone know what's going on or have similar problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

My problem is that my upload has synched at 288kb and not 384kb (its synched at 3072 for download!)...and all my stats look good.

Could it be a problem with the exchange or something as Im easily less than 1km from the exchange.

Being able to carry 3Mbit(2.60M on irishisptest) and not get 384kbit on upload would be laughable if I wasnt really so shocked about it!!!

I guess it must be a problem with the exchange settings for my connection(located in deepest West Cork) or something as this 288kbit is constant and hasnt fluctuated....y/n?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

zuma wrote:
    Being able to carry 3Mbit(2.60M on irishisptest) and not get 384kbit on upload would be laughable if I wasnt really so shocked about it!!!
    Crude Tech explanation.

DSL uses the lower part of available spectrum on YOUR line for upload and higher spectrum for download with voice lower again than both. You may have lost a bit of usable spectrum at the bottom end , could be a substandard bit of cable along the run ...who knows . Maybe the voice bit (usually lower again) has moved up 'over' the u/l bit because it did not have 'enough room' . Dunno TBH , hence Crude.

Theoretically the whole lot (d/l and u/l) should dynamically shift up into usable frequency and may well do so once the upgrade 'hassles' settle down. I am happier that Eircom has not been overawed at their own network decrepitude and therefore stuck to 1mbits no matter where.

In the meantime 288k up is hardly a kick in the head :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭zuma

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Crude Tech explanation.

DSL uses the lower part of available spectrum on YOUR line for upload and higher spectrum for download with voice lower again than both. You may have lost a bit of usable spectrum at the bottom end , could be a substandard bit of cable along the run ...who knows . Maybe the voice bit (usually lower again) has moved up 'over' the u/l bit because it did not have 'enough room' . Dunno TBH , hence Crude.

Theoretically the whole lot (d/l and u/l) should dynamically shift up into usable frequency and may well do so once the upgrade 'hassles' settle down. I am happier that Eircom has not been overawed at their own network decrepitude and therefore stuck to 1mbits no matter where.

In the meantime 288k up is hardly a kick in the head :D

Might move the equipment around a bit later and see if the problem is at my end but the wiring is solid(did it myself but I have a LOT of experience at it).

I made the extension(3+ years ago) from the main socket to a comp room(originally used for dialup) upstairs and then networked(switch/LOTS of Cat5e) it from that room to other rooms around the house.

288kb isnt that bad but 384kb would add at least 10Kbytes/s to my upload!

Will give BT a call anyway about this and see what happens on Monday as I'm sure they have more urgent problems at the moment.

• Advertisement

zuma wrote:
    My problem is that my upload has synched at 288kb and not 384kb (its synched at 3072 for download!)...and all my stats look good.

Could it be a problem with the exchange or something as Im easily less than 1km from the exchange.

I guess it must be a problem with the exchange settings for my connection(located in deepest West Cork) or something as this 288kbit is constant and hasnt fluctuated....y/n?
    I'm about 3 miles from the Arklow exchange out in the middle of a field.
    The nearest house is about a half mile away.
    I had issues with the line coming in to here -there are about 10 poles carrying the phone line just to me alone and part of the line is under ground where it goes under an ESB pylon.
    I sucessfully got Eircom to replace the entire line as the line rental is still with them.
    I have BT broadband plus 3mb down which is testing on the Irish isp site at 2.72 down and 312 up.
    To say I'm pleased with that is an understatement.
    I am well pleased.
    In fact my cousins were sending me some yoke called a torrent and it was roaring in at 130kb's - see here icon14.gif

Earthman wrote:
    I sucessfully got Eircom to replace the entire line as the line rental is still with them.
    I am amazed that you could get that; do you actually mean NEW PHYSICAL WIRING??? That costs money and I can't believe they would do that.
    Earthman wrote:
    BMP? Come on Earthman this is 2006 use png 130 is nice but you can get the full 300kb from the right torrents.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

It took me 5 years to get Eircom to even test my line properly. When they did they replaced the faulty section.

But I have moved to Digiweb Wireless Metro and hope to cancel the phone line soon. (I/C audio is perfect on cable modem POTS port, but O/G audio is very poor) 3Mbps up, 0.5Mbps down.

More wireless licences is the only answer for Rural and Urban Ireland. We'll all be dead waiting for copper aDSL...

I am amazed that you could get that; do you actually mean NEW PHYSICAL WIRING??? That costs money and I can't believe they would do that.
    Yes about a third of a mile of new cable.They also replaced 3 of the poles.I was on at them to do it for about 2 months though but they did do it.
    Come on Earthman this is 2006 use png 130 is nice but you can get the full 300kb from the right torrents.
    Usually about 65-70 pre upgrade here-I dont use BiT much,maybe twice a week-now 100 to 130 tops.
    Given my location in the countryside,a good half hour walk to the town,I cant complain.
    Incidently my next door neighbour is using Irish broadband,the breeze product which I can also get but comparing the two this is far better obviously

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Is it ****!

One rural exchange in Galway about to be enabled c.March will have a 70% line failure rate because of crap eircom wiring and pairgaining early and often . The way to encourage rural BB takeup would be to give these country people a line not to bring in a meaningless discount !!!!!

As the pairgains leave them stuck on 12-16k dialup the profits are enormous on per minute products.

Would you like to share the name of this rural exchange with us? the local exchange is supposed to be upgraded but the lines are brutal and pairgain heaven :( so still nothing for me :( Wireless is the only way for Rural Ireland IMHO!!

Advertisement