Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom speed increases on the way download and upload speed increase

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

It might be useful to think of the assymetrical service in this way. I get 4096Kb down and 256Kb up. So I have a ratio of 4096/25=16. So I can download at ~400KBs and upload at ~25KBs (not at the same time. So when I'm uploading, I think of it as taking away from my download capability at a ratio of 16. That is if I'm uploading at 10KBs, that means my download capability will drop from 400Kbps to ~240Kbs (400 - (10 x 16). Or if I'm uploading at max of 25Kbps, then I have now download capacity to spare. It helps some people understand the assymetrical aspect a bit better. While not 100% accurate, it's a handy rule of thumb.

HTH
    .cg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

that reminds me i got a letter from ntl saying their bb would be avaliable in my area at the start of this month. must check up on that.

The only down sides i see to ntl is they may have to drill another hole in my house and i'll need to get a wireless router as i cant find an all in on cable modem and wireless router (and ATA for voip). so much clutter....sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭8track

I can see that Eircom and its wholesalers will be increasing speeds, but any word on whether or not Smart will follow suit and increase from 2Mb down / 128Kb up?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

8track wrote:
    I can see that Eircom and its wholesalers will be increasing speeds, but any word on whether or not Smart will follow suit and increase from 2Mb down / 128Kb up?
    They better everyone else is upgrading their speeds Smart will go from leading the pack to lagards in a matter of months.....:) nice.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Crikey, I'm currently getting 10m/512k on my NTL 3m/300k service!! If I continue to get this speed for €45 per month, it will really put Eircoms new 5m/512k €205 product to shame. Eircom are going to be pretty pissed/scared tomorrow.

Cable rocks :D

It looks like our days of Irelands BB speeds being far behind the rest of Europe are far behind us. Now we most focus on getting at least some sort of BB for all and lower prices for entry level BB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I dont want to seem over anxious but does anyone have any idea as to when we can expect this speed increase ? :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

currently trialling in Malahide and a few other places till end Jan or so . Then we should see an announcement Feb followed by the now traditional March upgrade.

This year of course :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 DialUpMeArse

Oh great. The last upgrade caused nothing but problems for me. Something (the line, I'm guessing) couldn't handle the 2Mb and I couldn't stay connected. I had to drop to 1Mb. I won't be able to drop this time :(

Thats interesting.....am I right in thinking that the same problem will not, cannot, arise in the event of a wireless signal, i.e. that once an ISP decides to transmit a signal [in the event of a local Govt Broadband Scheme] at 2mb DL that that is exactly what will pan out, or will such a scheme suffer from the same problems that "traditional" phone line systems do when they are "upgraded" for faster DL speeds.

In short, does a wireless signal "cramp up" in the same way, or is it just copper that suffers?

Sponge Bob wrote:
    currently trialling in Malahide and a few other places till end Jan or so . Then we should see an announcement Feb followed by the now traditional March upgrade.

This year of course :D
    WTF!?? by all the talk I originally though this would be an early x-mas pressy; then a late pressy; then early January; after that mid-January - now MARCH! Why bother telling people about it if it's that far away! Oh well only a few months :( Maybe I'll have NTL by then :)

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

I had a look at a DSL line in Malahide that's been upgraded to 3Mb and the latency on the line is now 9ms. Should keep the gamers happy.

• Advertisement

ro2 wrote:
    I had a look at a DSL line in Malahide that's been upgraded to 3Mb and the latency on the line is now 9ms. Should keep the gamers happy.
    To where?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

could we have some evidence of this? if its true it will make alot of people very happy indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

ro2 wrote:

That's brilliant news. I hope they keep the interleaving off on the upgraded lines...whenever they get around to actually upgrading. I'm very suprised there has been so little news on this whole topic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 DialUpMeArse

What exactly are the requirements to be able to get it. My brother lives in an estate across the road from mine, he's able to get it, but I'm not. I assume that it's to do with the age of the estates and hence the wiring?
    I'm glad Eircon are finally allocating a reasonable upload speed, though for €54.99 I'd like to see 512k up.

Get this.....I live in a housing estate where all the houses are the same age..and some of us can and some of us CAN'T get BB. Hows that for an example of the inconsistency in line qualities!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

March? :(

Its always March for package upgrades , remember 2003 2004 and 2005, if January then the change should be flagged 21 days in advance in here but there is nothing yet is there ??? Leaking in November was a precautionary measure to steal NTL thunder .

The upgrade was always SUBJECT to sucessful trials in early December 2005 in Malahide and a few other spots. Has anybody heard whether the trials were successful or not because I have not ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Sponge Bob wrote:
    Its always March for package upgrades , remember 2003 2004 and 2005, if January then the change should be flagged 21 days in advance in here but there is nothing yet is there ???

Is this fact or speculation? It makes perfect sense though I thought I heard January. That may have been speculation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

exiztone wrote:
    March? :(

it's not so bad, january is half over and february is only 28 days

paulm17781 wrote:
    Is this fact or speculation? It makes perfect sense though I thought I heard January. That may have been speculation though.

we all heard trial December live January but we heard nowt about the trial which is still ongoing despite being meant to run 07 dec to 12 dec only in Malahide and Claremorris etc .

why is the trial still ongoing and why is there nothing in the 21 day notice document on the new Eircom packages .... Here???

• Registered Users Posts: 9,129 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

parasite wrote:
    it's not so bad, january is half over and february is only 28 days
    *checks calendar*

Yup, only 4 days in January this year :p:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

To where?

To b-ras1.srl.dublin.eircom.net

ro2 wrote:
    To b-ras1.srl.dublin.eircom.net
    Could you try jolt.co.uk or boards.ie please?

Finally, its in the public domain (thanks for that PM :D ) .

New packages Live in 21 Days on the 24th of January 2006 .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Sponge Bob wrote:

Good stuff, so will everyone (including UTV, IOLBB etc) be upgraded on the 24th?

Or will the other ISPs be holding off until March to make their offers?

plazzTT wrote:
    Good stuff, so will everyone (including UTV, IOLBB etc) be upgraded on the 24th?
    Probably
    After Eircom and BT announce I'd say. This week or next

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

plazzTT wrote:

They have no choice in the matter. Their products will be upgraded at the exact same time. They may have to upgrade their backhaul lines to cover the extra bandwidth offered by eircom.

Eircom are in control, the other isps have very little control with bitstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

21 Days... well, I guess it's better than March! :D I'm dying to get my upload speed increased. In the beginning I got a good thrill out of 128... but the buzz wore off and now I need more! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

off-topic ntl gibberish moved to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Sponge Bob wrote:

Thanks for that.

Interesting that all the (IP package) upload speeds are going "RA" now whereas previously the 256k uploads didn't have an "RA" designation... slightly odd....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭lynchie

Peanut wrote:
    Thanks for that.

Interesting that all the (IP package) upload speeds are going "RA" now whereas previously the 256k uploads didn't have an "RA" designation... slightly odd....

So when those with the 512Kb who are doing a lot of uploading, they can limit the speed on their end without telling you and claim that ur upload speed is rate adaptive and they only guarantee 128Kb upload :)

Advertisement