Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom speed increases on the way download and upload speed increase

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

I don't see how you'd need a cap increase. I find the BT Plus package I have to be more than generous. Or do you exceed your current cap?

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

• Registered Users Posts: 3,329 ✭✭✭radiospan

Upgrading from 2MB to 3MB won't make much difference for me really. I rarely max out the 2MB, and when I do, the download is finished in a few minutes anyway. I'd much prefer a cap increase, as I'm on UTV, who always charge for going over it.

It's very good news about the upload speed though. Looking forward to 384kbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

None of this does me any good because I can't even get broadband.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

damien.m wrote:
    I don't see how you'd need a cap increase. I find the BT Plus package I have to be more than generous. Or do you exceed your current cap?
    Every single month, without fail. Of course we have three computers on the internet and so we may download more then average in my house but I still feel 24Gb is rather puny I would hope for 40Gb; that would be less likely to ever be broken and it also seem a more realistic cap. It's clear they don't care about the cap anyway as they never charge or send out letters so they may as well make it official.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭shinzon

This whole speed increase actually worries me from a selfish standpoint TBH, my line as you all know teeters on the pass/fail borderline, its quite happily chugging away on 1 meg broadband right now, no interruptions or anything

So with the speed increases comes the possibility of my line completely falling over and giving up the ghost altogether

I hope they have something in place for lines like these to keep em on 1 meg or have the ability to downgrade if theres problems

Course if it doesnt work out i still have NTL to fall back on, still its the damn principal of the thing that everyone should have access to all services that compamies provide whether it be optional or not IMO

Guess ill see come January

Shin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

None of this does me any good because I can't even get broadband.:mad:
    Thats what they should be concentrating on. I currently have 2mb/128k from BT and am happy with it. Of course I love to see more speed and won't refuse it but I speak to loads of people every week who would screaming out for BB but can't get it.
    Eircom really need to get the finger out and roll out ADSL2 and get past the 4KM barrier and upgrade the smaller exchanges.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭HarryHoudini

I posted in these forums about a month ago with the news that NTL are planning an upgrade to 5MB and 8MB after I had some people from NTL come to my house and replaced my old cable modem due to it not being capable of supporting the new speeds.
    This was from the engineers mouth.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

damien.m wrote:
    Are you trolling damien? I find my vanilla BT cap well less than adequate, and I'd exceed the plus cap too. And very little of it is "dodgy", most comprises Linux ISOs, legal music, and free video. Even my business stuff contributes very little towards it.

adam

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

shinzon wrote:
    Course if it doesnt work out i still have NTL to fall back on, still its the damn principal of the thing that everyone should have access to all services that compamies provide whether it be optional or not IMO

If you can get NTL then why in gods name are you still on DSL. The minute NTL became available in my area, I jumped from DSL to NTL and I couldn't be happier.

I'm now paying €45 per month for 3m/300k, where I was paying €54 for 2m/128k and it is much more stable and has lower latency.

If you only want 1m then it only costs €25.

And rumour has it that NTL will be upgrading to 5m and 8m soon :)

NTL shouldn't be your fallback, it should be your number one option.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I agree, If I was lucky enough to have NTL broadband available in my area I would drop my dsl without even a thought, unfortunately for me I will never have the option as I live out in the countryside.

The difference between NTL and DSL is huge, its more stable, its faster and about to get alot faster shorty if the rumours are true, plus the pings are almost half of what you get on DSL and its cheaper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

This is some bloody great news! I might be able to ditch my newsgroup account and go back to bittorrent. Torrents were unbearable with 128k upload.

This must have a lot to do with eircom launching their combined VoIP+Broadband service for businesses. Saw some article (read:advertisement) for it in the Indo today. Fair play to eircom for getting the thumb out. I'm delighted with 3096/384 , brings us pretty well into line with what we should have.

Fair play to eircom for getting the thumb out. I'm delighted with 3096/384 , brings us pretty well into line with what we should have.
    No it doesn't, the number of people with BB available to them is still the same, and as for speeds we are still far from equal to other developed EU states just across the sea they have LLU 24Mb lines for £25 - now that's impressive! We are not improving as long as large numbers of people are denied access to BB because eircom doesn't want to invest. Eircon can only upgrade like this for so long before they have to start improving the lines and services; soon they will have people who before the upgrade had BB phoning up and complaining about how now they can't get it anymore because their lines are not up to scratch.........I wonder how they will deal with those people, dump them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

What makes you think they're going to change the line test? RADSL degrades gracefully. There's no problem.

Blaster99 wrote:
    What makes you think they're going to change the line test? RADSL degrades gracefully. There's no problem.
    Actually when I had problems with the line it was far from "gracefully" handled it keep on trying to connect at higher speeds and disconnecting and changing the ADSL mode it was in......all in all I was forced to change the position of my Router and the entire wireing set-up in my house; I was not a happy bunny :( So I do believe there will be some problems with this upgrade, just look above^ one person already mention they failed 2Mb but their line will keep trying to connect at that speed and failing but inmy situation it never seemed satisfied at the lower speeds it kept on trying to connect at higher speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Urban Weigl

We now have the same upload speed that has been available in the UK for what, only 5+ years now? Along with the same coverage they had...

We now have the same upload speed that has been available in the UK for what, only 5+ years now? Along with the same coverage they had...
    5 years ago. Their present coverage is far superior to anything we have have the figures are in the 99.99% range, you can't compare Comwreck to Ofcom.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Hannibal_12

Gonzo wrote:
    I agree, If I was lucky enough to have NTL broadband available in my area I would drop my dsl without even a thought, unfortunately for me I will never have the option as I live out in the countryside.

The difference between NTL and DSL is huge, its more stable, its faster and about to get alot faster shorty if the rumours are true, plus the pings are almost half of what you get on DSL and its cheaper.

What exactly are the requirements to be able to get it. My brother lives in an estate across the road from mine, he's able to get it, but I'm not. I assume that it's to do with the age of the estates and hence the wiring?
    I'm glad Eircon are finally allocating a reasonable upload speed, though for €54.99 I'd like to see 512k up.

though for €54.99 I'd like to see 512k up.
    Would you do yourself and the country a favour and move from eircon to BT if you transfer your line rental too you will only pay €50 for BB + line rental. Go on.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

What exactly are the requirements to be able to get it. My brother lives in an estate across the road from mine, he's able to get it, but I'm not. I assume that it's to do with the age of the estates and hence the wiring?
    I'm glad Eircon are finally allocating a reasonable upload speed, though for €54.99 I'd like to see 512k up.

Put simply the cable network in your area needs to be upgraded to a two way capable Fibre-Coax network. NTL are busy upgrading older areas at the moment, however it takes time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Are you on a commission from NTL or what? :) You mention them in almost every post in IOFFL and Broadband?

damien.m wrote:
    Are you on a commission from NTL or what? :) You mention them in almost every post in IOFFL and Broadband?

You are right, I do, I wish I was on comission, it would be very easy money :)

The reason why I mention them so much, is beacuse I moved from DSL to NTL a few months back and I couldn't be happier. I've seen what real BB should be like, it is faster, much more stable (no downtime), lower pings, cheaper, their customer service is surprisingly good and best of all it is completely independent of Eircom :D

Basically it just works so well. So yes I rave about it a lot and I believe NTL (UPC) are our best hope to introduce true competition in the Irish market. I remain unconvinced that LLU will be succesfull in Ireland due to Eircom and the toothlessness of Comreg.

Wireless is interesting, but is still unproven.

bk wrote:
    Basically it just works so well. So yes I rave about it a lot and I believe NTL (UPC) are our best hope to introduce true competition in the Irish market. I remain unconvinced that LLU will be succesfull in Ireland due to Eircom and the toothlessness of Comreg.

Wireless is interesting, but is still unproven.
    Agree, but NTL have been surprisingly quiet about their BB which is somewhat annoying. I just hope that they will hit the accelerator after the new year and really punish eircon in the areas it's available

/Offler still waiting for NTL.........

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I am on BT broadban plus. 2mb up and 128 down.
    will I be getting the upgrade as well after christmas ?
    If so,
    Is this what I am about to get ?
    Old 2Mb Downstream / 128k Upstream
    New 3Mb Downstream / 384k Upstream
    :confused:

Unless you are on the 3 or 4 mbps package now, you'll only get 256 kbps upstream, and not 384... that's reserved for the business packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Unless you are on the 3 or 4 mbps package now, you'll only get 256 kbps upstream, and not 384... that's reserved for the business packages.
    Incorrect. All customers on Bitstream (Eircom, BT, UTV and the rest) will get the upgrades as listed.
    2mb/128k will go to 3mb/384k.

kaizersoze wrote:
    Incorrect. All customers on Bitstream (Eircom, BT, UTV and the rest) will get the upgrades as listed.
    2mb/128k will go to 3mb/384k.

You are correct. I had been under the impression that packages that are now 128kbps would be going to 256kbps, and packages that are currently 256kbps would be going 384kbps. That's not the case.

To restate this for everybody, there will continue to be 4 levels of service. Entry level, currently 1mbps down/128kbps up will go to 256kbps up. The two mid products go to 384kbps (currently 2 and 3mbps down), and the "high end" product, currently 4mbps down, and which costs about €200/month inc. VAT, will go to 512kbps upstream.

It's a baby-step in the right direction at last: 128kbps up was a joke; even my old ISDN line could upload at 128kbps. And SDSL still isn't available, even though it's old technology at this point. It would enable symmetrical lines at up to about 3mbps in each direction. Handy for small businesses who need to upload a lot and can't afford tens of thousands a year for a leased line.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Good stuff.. :p
    One other thing though...
    My Current Modem.!
    It is the ZyXel one from BT..
    I notice when I am upping something it kills my download speed

Now that an Xbox 360 is on its way to my house for christmas I am wondering if it is time to get something a bit better ?
    any suggestions? :confused:
    cheers;)

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Nice to see the increases, though I still think the upload speeds are pathetic. I'd prefer upload speeds upped to 512Mbit, on a 2Mbit down line.

• Advertisement

vectra wrote:
    Good stuff.. :p
    One other thing though...
    My Current Modem.!
    It is the ZyXel one from BT..
    I notice when I am upping something it kills my download speed

Now that an Xbox 360 is on its way to my house for christmas I am wondering if it is time to get something a bit better ?
    any suggestions? :confused:
    cheers;)
    What happens is that when you go full blast uploading it chokes the download speed as you don't leave yourself enough upload to acknowledge what you've downloaded.....so no one uploads to you as they are still waiting for you to reply saying "yes I got packet 2345 send me the next one". The soultion to this promblem is to cap your upload speed on 128kb 8KB upload is fine, most p2p programs let you cap your upload so look in the settings :)

Advertisement