Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford North Quays

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Dum_Dum_2

Progress on paved roads and piped water then. Forgive me, but I'm not actually 'feeling it'. Is it because it's something the Romans sorted 2000 years ago? Yes, I think that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭Asdfgh2020

You are the one who said what is happening over in ferrybank wouldn’t be let happen out the dunmore road area……I simply made the point that situations like those in ferrybank do occur such as the recent ‘upgrade’ of the fearonshooneen roundabout….so why do I need to calm down…?

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Valhalla90

1st of April now. Still no planning application from Harcourt!

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Met a councillor this morning who says its due this month. Make what you will of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Dum_Dum_2

Jam tomorrow. Except this is tomorrow. And nothing's happened after 20+ years of dereliction.

You wallow in it. As much as I dislike the present government, 200m for public works on North Quays is hardly dereliction. The ball is in the private sector court. You might ask yourself why there has been such a hiatus in their activities on North Quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Flow Motion

Fiasco = a complete failure, especially a ludicrous or humiliating one. 200m for a bridge, some fancy earthworks, a bunkerlike rail station and months , if not years, of disruption for anyone living and trying to commute or just plain visit the town! Anybody remember the Ferrybank Shopping Centre? Yeah, tis still there. And still not open. Just a few lads powerhosing it these past few days. A white elephant. Waterfords favourite animal. Can't wait for all the politicians come canvassing in a few months. Bunch of spoofers, each and every one. Or maybe our very own Batman'n'Robin will come to the rescue i.e. the dream team of Cummins'n'Hayes! Dont hold yer breath. Too busy on social media. Come on lets be realistic nothings gonna happen. They are dragging the @rse out of doing the bleedin road since September. TBH there's not many people actually working on the project as a whole. I drive past 2/3 times a day. Tailbacks are a disgrace. Kids walking to the Abbey school on the roads as the paths are a mess. Cycling is outta the question. WCCC post "updates" but will not take any public comment. Then again look @ the mess they made of The Quay! Nothing but parking lot as nothing moves but at a snails pace. Up da Deise eh?

• Advertisement

Just a reminder in all your ranting, that the Ferrybank Shopping centre is in Co Kilkenny and was permitted by Kilkenny Co Co. If you had your way nothing would ever be build in case it would discommode someone, anyone. What should be done? Leave the North Quays rot?

Your attitude and post is typical of the kind of local luddite nay sayers who with one breath complain about nothing being done and then… Bah, Humbug!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,626 ✭✭✭south

They were still pumping concrete at 7 on Friday evening when I passed. Plenty of workers were still on site in the passing rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,665 ✭✭✭Deiseen

The drone videos put up every few weeks show there is huge work going on there.

I walked the whole length of the site yesterday, from Rice Bridge to AIBP and back. Massive work underway, Forgot the phone!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭914

I am no fan of the government and its treatment of Waterford but having a new bridge over the Suir, relocated train station and all the other infrastructure work is a big positive.

Having the bridge and infrastructure in place makes the site far more attractive and appealing to developers.

You could argue about the bridge that it is only keeping us up with the jones's as we have seen new bridges put in place in Galway and Athlone.

You could also make the argument as to how Michael St has sat idle for so long and I would imagine the North Quays would be a more challenging project, reinforcing the docks to take the weight of buildings etc.

But even with those arguments what is happening with the bridge and infrastructure is very positive, hard to see any negative light on it.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Keeping up with Kilkenny as well, we have 5 bridges across the nore after all (2x Pedestrian and 3x motor traffic).

You've lot of catching up to do! 😂😛

On a more serious note, the bridge will be a game changer for the ferrybank side. The fact its pedestrian will really encourage more people to walk/cycle into city and it'll massively cut journey times even for students etc wanting to cycle to anywhere in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Not trying to be funny but do many students cycle to school or college? I would guess it's a very small percentage.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

sadly i do think we re living in lala land if we think people are gonna all of a sudden step out of their cars and start doing more walking and cycling than driving, sorry folks, that ship has sailed, i ll still happily accept the infrastructure in trying to do so though, cause you d never know….

The Suir is a river. You could spit across the Nore in Kilkenny which is about the same size as St Johns Pill in Waterford which has nine bridges, three of which are pedestrian bridges.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

If you built it they will come walk, cycle, bus!

some will of course, but i think its gonna be next to impossible to move the masses, private cars are simply far more convenient and less time consuming than the alternatives….

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'm sure people in Amsterdam thought the same in 1970's
    The ship had failed and car was king.

Less time consuming?
    Are you sure about that?

I bet you 200e I can beat a car from Ferrybank to Tower Hotel at rush hour on a bike, the car wouldn't stand a chance. 😂

yes, but that was the 70's, the modern world, and our needs, have radically changed, this is why i believe many of our policies towards transport have a high degree of potential failure

yes, on a single journey, that probably would be the case, but many journeys are multi destinations, hence why the car is the default, for example if members of the same house need to be picked up and dropped off at different destinations, all within a short time frame, the car quickly becomes the only real option for that household.

could you for example, if you had a couple of kids etc, move everyone from your home, around town, for whatever reasons, with multiple destinations, pick ups and drop offs, and get everyone home in good time, all on your bike?

Dense, dependable, low cost public transport.

rail, and fast, or we re fcuked, its as simple as that, and yes, thats not low cost, far from in fact, so we better suck it up or we ll be in the sh1tter faster that you can think…..

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Flow Motion

Agreed. Dont believe the hype. The GP are too attuned and used to sitting in traffic in their SUV's to bother getting up and walking &/or cycling the couple of Km's from home to where they wanna be. Much better to be "seen" in your brand new car (bought, sorry, borrowed on a PCP agreement) by the neighbours. Who in turn will want a new vehicle of their own. Hence fueling the self fulfilling prophesy of capitalism. Meanwhile WCCC try to shoehorn cycle lanes onto roads not big enough for them whist the roads big enough for them dont have any! The Greenway is a fabulous addition to the locality but Greenways are sprouting up all over the land and what was once was a unique USP for visitors becomes one of many. Greenways need to be maintained over time. Which costs money. So the WCCC tries to make it as hard for the locals to traverse the town by making it an as frustrating experience as possible to go about your day to day life.

The North Quays bridge will become just a link between the Waterford GW and the South KK/Wexford GW. Nice pieces of infrastructure for sure but surely there should be more. Lets be honest there's gonna be nothing much else for the foreseeable future on that site. Just a fancy rail station (primarily to Dublin - where most retailers are based), new roads and a pedestrian bridge linking to the city centre of charity shops and vacant premises. Sure, kudos to the WCCC for the Viking Triangle & Museums but apart from a few nice cafes n restaurants but everything else is a bit lacking. There is a lot of dereliction about. Empty properties. Unpainted "occupied" premises that could do with a bit of TLC. When you are sitting in the endless tailbacks on The Quay one tends to notice things.

If I were to envisage any development on the North Quays it would be housing - primarily apartment blocks. Just like the offshoot streets of O'Connell St/Mary Street. Either that or a "temporary" urban park! Those dreams of a cool hotel and a conference centre or concert venue are blue sky thinking. They more of a Shelbyville kinda thing. One only has to gaze up and look at how long the Ardree Hotel site has lain empty. Even the cool piece of street art of a man with arms akimbo decided to leave. A perfect metaphor for Waterford.

Are we sure that you and Wanderer 78 are not the same person. An echo chamber? Otherwise, faux certainty, chip on shoulder and conflation spread thickly among observations about issues that most people readily admit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭gw80

TThat's a bit of a miserable post,but, I do agree with you is some senseabout the state of the south quays,

As You come to the city from either side,it does look good,but its when you cross the bridge and get onto the quay it's self it start to look a bit grubby In places, close up in other words, the likes of that Sals restaurant and the buildings around it looks hideous.

And those f!£@ing car parks on the quays should go.

I think a lot of attention is going on the North quays ATM but it's the south quays that are the face of the city and that also needs to be looked at,

O,connel st,and ground level along the Quays should be modernised, instead of one big shopping mall in one spot, use the whole of o,Connel St,the quays and the now car parks along the quay as a shopping mall,

Keep the old look of the quay from the first floor up but modify the ground floors into modern shopping areas and maybe the side streets kept for covered outdoor cafes and restaurants,

I was in Dublin city centre recently and walking around the docks area, the new modern building are nice en,all but they do get a bit samey shoebox look about them.

Would,nt it be nice to keep the old look on one side of the river and also have new modern buildings on the North quays,

Pipe dreams,I know,

Advertisement