Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dinner Party on Netw.. oops I mean RTÉ 2

Options
  • 06-10-2004 5:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭

Did anyone see this? I was half watching it while making dinner last night - most of the people on it came accross as being right eejits. Then again, so do most people on "reality" TV shows. Anyone else have any thoughts on this? Is this another failed attempt at being cool by RTÉ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I just blanked it when I saw the phrase "Amanda Brunker hosts..."

Attention whore of the worst order, that one...

Frankly, the whole relaunch of RTE2 looks to me like it could blow up in their faces... More reality shows than ever planned on it. "The Dinner Party", "The Apprentice" aka "Survivor in the City", "The Ex-Files" (sweet Christ what were they thinking)... RTE trying to be TV3... Sad, really...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Two of my mates were actually on this show (the next few episodes) and one of them won the €1000! I was there as well as one of two supporting mates for my er, mate. Twas a good laugh and you can't argue with 7-8 (or was it 9?) free glasses of tasty white wine!!! El drunkio was I...

Not sure if my mug will make it into the box or not but they certainly filmed us (audience) quite alot...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

what a waste of license fee, are the people on this show supposed to reresent rte2's target audience???? this slot was normally held by shows like sopranos, 24, law and order and the like when they were airing, and then they go and show this shi#e, we can only hope and pray that this program get the csi treatment and is banished to a late night slot or not shown at all, as for rte 2 going all reality tv on us, this aint reality tv. reality tv should have people the audience can relate to and these poor folks aint. they might represent a minority of people living and doing well in dubin (which i dont begrudge) but if ur living out side the bubble its very hard to get this show.

well thats my 2 cents worth anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Note to RTE:
    The only times/situations in which I'll EVER want to see Amanda Brunker TV are:
    1) Her cavorting around a lapdancing pole
    2) Her writhing around in a mudwrestling ring.

Thank you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,668 ✭✭✭nlgbbbblth

Pigman II wrote:
    Note to RTE:
    The only times/situations in which I'll EVER want to see Amanda Brunker TV are:
    1) Her cavorting around a lapdancing pole
    2) Her writhing around in a mudwrestling ring.

Thank you.
    I can honestly say that any guy who doesn't fancy her needs his head examined. She is a voluptuous beauty, a real woman.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭gutta

nlgbbbblth wrote:
    I can honestly say that any guy who doesn't fancy her needs his head examined. She is a voluptuous beauty, a real woman.

And a black Prod to boot. She's a ride. :eek:

Back on topic, the Dinner Party? It's ****e, it's cheap, and the eejits appearing on it derserve to be ridiculed for an eternity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭overdriver

With regards to Ms Brunker, she doesn't do it for me at all, she's too top-heavy and has more war-paint on than a tribe of Sioux Braves. The pink top against the pink chair? Sheer RTE genius...She was embarassingly poor at presenting the show, such as it is.

As for the show itself, Its absolutely pathetic. The producers clearly have a single agenda, talk about sex, sex and erm....sex. The wine is no accident, they would have a very different show if everyone were not plied with copious amounts of alcohol. Did anyone notice that the only person who didn't bitch about the others after the meal was the tee-totaller?

My girlfriend took part in a later show and by way of explanation to the person who said that the contestants deseved to be ridiculed:

1. They were told they would not be given topics to discuss, that the conversations would develop with no direction for the production team. LIE They were given the topics. When something wasn't racy enough, the topic was change. People's details were taken from their phone interview and used to direct topics specifically at them.
    2.The words that were used by contestants to describe each other were actually given to them by the production team. So, while it looks like a contestant said someone was "unfriendly", the way it actually happened was that the producers asked the question " who at the table best suits this word - unfriendly". If you answered that no-one did, you were told that you HAD to pick someone, that's the rules.
    3.The clips supposedly form "auditions" were in fact staged on the same night of the meal, and again the contestants told what to say.
    4.They interrupt the meal to tell the diners of a secret held by one of the diners, and then reveal who they were talking about. However, as if this weren't bad enough, it is then edited so, entirely out of context, everybody's suddenly talking about, for instance, poor Tony having a banana jammed up his bum. The details for this are elicited during the course of several phone interviews by the same researcher. Once they have established a rapport, they ask some low-level personal questions, and then a really personal. It is hard not to answer in SOME fashion. My girlfriends solution was to lie, and the lie was subsequently "revealed" at the table.

I could go on and on... Hopefully, people will see what a pile of muck this show is, and it will fade into te obscurity it o richly deserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Complete **** .... saw the ad for it ... looked like it was about smug people pretending to be sophisticated by drinking wine and trying to outshock everyone else by showing how liberal they are about sex .... turns out from reading the posts above... that it's far worse then I could ever have imagined.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

Found a great quote from the Sunday Independant from dec 15 2002 about Amanda Brunker and Jordan (there was apparently a bit of a "battle of the breasts" thing going on when Jordan snubbed Brunker for an interview) : ".....I'll put up for Amanda's anytime. While Amanda's are home-grown, free-range and organic, Jordan is definitely a battery chick."

Can anyone rtalk about Brunker without referring to her tits? Is that all she is, a life support system for a pair of jugs?

Actually, there could be something in that!

id anyne else notice that the guy who didn't contribute a lot to the smut-talk , Paul, barely featured? He was discribed as hilarious by one of the girls, so he MUST have been chatty enough during the meal. Again, the producers un-subtly editing he talk into what they wanted. I would HATE to be that Dave guy on Wednesday morning. They made him look like a right nob. He DID help them thoug, saying Grace etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Absolute drivel but I wouldn't be surprised if tens of thousands of people tuned complained sitting on the sofa and will do exactly the same thing next week. The reason TV stations show this crap is that it's cheap to produce and the public actually watch it.

At least the lack of production values mentioned by overdriver means that it didn't cost the licence fee as much as it might have.

Absolute drivel but I wouldn't be surprised if tens of thousands of people tuned complained sitting on the sofa and will do exactly the same thing next week. The reason TV stations show this crap is that it's cheap to produce and the public actually watch it.

At least the lack of production values mentioned by overdriver means that it didn't cost the licence fee as much as it might have.

Its an independent production company selling it to RTE in its finished form. The license payer got screwed...

The contestants recieve no payment whatsoever if they don't win.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

*sigh* i read this entire thread and there weren't even any nude photos...

• Registered Users Posts: 55,474 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I heard this morning that there is a lapdancer on tonights show (who flashes her assets at the other guests).

TmB wrote:
    I heard this morning that there is a lapdancer on tonights show (who flashes her assets at the other guests).
    Intelligent entertainment at its best then...

Intelligent entertainment at its best then...

Yeah, it just promises to get better and better. If more people vote with their feet, they wont commission sh*te like this again. The producers asked one of the "pals" to audition for it next year, so they're fairly confident it'll work...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

overdriver wrote:
    2.The words that were used by contestants to describe each other were actually given to them by the production team. So, while it looks like a contestant said someone was "unfriendly", the way it actually happened was that the producers asked the question " who at the table best suits this word - unfriendly". If you answered that no-one did, you were told that you HAD to pick someone, that's the rules.

It figures. There's no other way people could become so bitchy towards each other so quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

TmB wrote:
    Wow even I didn't RTE would impliment my request THAT quickly!

Spot the contradiction in the following statement:

"I like class, and I can tell shes a classy bird".

Another shower of eejits tonight (probably quite nice people in real life, but edited to look like twats) .....

If they stuck to the dinner party format for the entire 30 minutes, where they can talk about things like politics, religion and society (NOT sex, relationships and fake tits) -- without the gameshow bit 'tacked on' at the end, and without Amanda Brunker -- it would actually be an entertaining show.

Another shower of eejits tonight (probably quite nice people in real life, but edited to look like twats) .....

If they stuck to the dinner party format for the entire 30 minutes, where they can talk about things like politics, religion and society (NOT sex, relationships and fake tits) -- without the gameshow bit 'tacked on' at the end, and without Amanda Brunker -- it would actually be an entertaining show.[/QUOTE]

Probably right about them being basically nice, though I met a couple of gob****es from another episode on a night out with the missus. One of them said it was the "experience of a lifetime". He must have been brought up in a lift or something...He was form Cork, but spoke with a New York accent. Another one of them began to talk graphically about "eating p*ssy", to about 20 girls. Sleazebag.

Politics, religion, and anything else not to do with sex is clearly not on the agenda, is it? The missus is veggie,and it wasn't brought up once. Like it or loath it, it can be an entertaining debate. Thats just for starters. I'm sure people are much more interesting than their genitals

• Advertisement

2nd episode wasn't the Mae West either, was it? I wonder how they're doing ratings-wise? Is there a way to find out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

overdriver wrote:
    2nd episode wasn't the Mae West either, was it? I wonder how they're doing ratings-wise? Is there a way to find out?

Didnt the rte guide used to post ratings? Have they stopped I wonder?

Dinner party....the show that gave us Billiegean.......sigh....

They still do, but they're about three or four weeks delayed.

DaBreno wrote:
    Didnt the rte guide used to post ratings? Have they stopped I wonder?

Dinner party....the show that gave us Billiegean.......sigh....

Jaysus, after you were finished, what would you TALK about? Mind you, 7 times a day, you'd probably never be finished.

overdriver wrote:
    Jaysus, after you were finished, what would you TALK about? Mind you, 7 times a day, you'd probably never be finished.

Perhaps after a while I too would yearn for proper conversation. ie "Billigean, I see the Ozone layer is continuing to deteriorate". How she would reply is anyones guess. My money would be on her getting them out again til I would shut up.
    The prevailing wisdom seems to be that she talks about her chest a lot. Im quite happy discussing that subject too. And as you say, 7 times, how would you get a word in edge ways?

DaBreno wrote:
    Perhaps after a while I too would yearn for proper conversation. ie "Billigean, I see the Ozone layer is continuing to deteriorate". How she would reply is anyones guess. My money would be on her getting them out again til I would shut up.
    The prevailing wisdom seems to be that she talks about her chest a lot. Im quite happy discussing that subject too. And as you say, 7 times, how would you get a word in edge ways?

Couple of God-forbids and she'd look like 10 pound of sh*te in a five-pound bag. She's half-way there already.

Besides which, if you were drunk enough to find her attractive, you would be also too drunk to perform. This is nature's way of making sure you don't sleep with anyone with fake tits and a skanger accent...

As for conversation, the ozone layer is one thing, but imagine trying to explain a mortgage payment or discuss a movie beyond "Dat Tom Cruise is a ry-id!". We will not be fighting for her affections, my friend!

overdriver wrote:
    Couple of God-forbids and she'd look like 10 pound of sh*te in a five-pound bag. She's half-way there already.

Besides which, if you were drunk enough to find her attractive, you would be also too drunk to perform. This is nature's way of making sure you don't sleep with anyone with fake tits and a skanger accent...

As for conversation, the ozone layer is one thing, but imagine trying to explain a mortgage payment or discuss a movie beyond "Dat Tom Cruise is a ry-id!". We will not be fighting for her affections, my friend!

ahhh..the descriptions I have learned over the course of these threads! How many ways is there to say you dont like someone? :)

Tonights episode has the Alternative Miss Ireland.....
    Tomorrows obsession for DaBreno? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 delly2

Anyone know if it is possible to download the RTE2 trailers for the show?

• Advertisement

TmB wrote:
    Tonights episode has the Alternative Miss Ireland.....
    Tomorrows obsession for DaBreno? :)

Friad I missed it TmB. How was she? Worthy of a week long thread? ;)

Advertisement