Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shows you'd love to see on DVD.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

doh.ie wrote:
    There's an issue with Charmed's release in that the rights to all the music show is very costly and has delayed any release so far. Same thing happened with Roswell and Felicity, but they just ended up putting in new music for those which were too expensive to licence.
    That's an interesting problem with DVD releases nowadays of old shows that they couldn't have foreseen. For example, there's an episode in Profiler that uses the song "Every Breath You Take" repeatedly. It was quite central to the plot and couldn't be replaced and so, as a result, the episode was dropped entirely from the DVD release. It's an extreme example but it shows that they're probably going to take care with music licensing right nowadays.

Having said that shows like 'The O.C' and 'Cold Case' offhand rely on a heavy mix of music, often recognisable. Admittedly the latter uses older tracks but do shows today go in and acquire licensing rights for all future editions of the show, even on a medium like DVD? Or are they negotiated later? There's something to be said for using your own score at times..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭doh.ie

ixoy wrote:
    That's an interesting problem with DVD releases nowadays of old shows that they couldn't have foreseen. For example, there's an episode in Profiler that uses the song "Every Breath You Take" repeatedly. It was quite central to the plot and couldn't be replaced and so, as a result, the episode was dropped entirely from the DVD release. It's an extreme example but it shows that they're probably going to take care with music licensing right nowadays.

Having said that shows like 'The O.C' and 'Cold Case' offhand rely on a heavy mix of music, often recognisable. Admittedly the latter uses older tracks but do shows today go in and acquire licensing rights for all future editions of the show, even on a medium like DVD? Or are they negotiated later? There's something to be said for using your own score at times..

AFAIK since the problem first arose, most shows now licence for every potential use of the song (in terms of the show's soundtrack), so it won't be as much of an issue going forward as it has been in the past. The Profiler example is one very frustrating one. (Imagine if the same had happened to that little ditty in Millennium's "A Room With No View"!)

I read somewhere that Cold Case is due for release in the coming months, and certainly is being prepared. I hope that means they only chose songs which were suitable for later release. (A unique issue with Cold Case is that quite often the song is played verbatim from start to finish, without attendant sound effects which would prevent unscrupulous types from making a MP3 out of it.)

That said, Roswell and Felicity had some cracking songs on the original TV versions where the replacements on the DVDs were nowhere near as good. In several places on those, the impact of a scene has been lost or reduced without the use of the original song.

It was an unfortunate error to arise - one which never seemed to crop up in the days of video. (But then maybe the use of music to enhance a show's soundtrack is a relatively modern one.)

• Registered Users Posts: 43,812 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Another show i just thought of was 'Spin City' - i think they've the first season out on Region 1 but plenty more seasons to go.

They can forget about the episodes with Charlie Sheen - terrible!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

Something that may be of interest to a lot of you - it certainly is to me! (I was a huge fan)

Looks like The Greatest American Hero is coming out on DVD (should see a R1 release in 2005, from what I have heard - no idea about R2).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭SteM

basquille wrote:
    I know most of them are already out on DVD or planned on DVD very shortly - The OC, Arrested Development (Region 1), Nip/Tuck, Curb Your Enthusiasm (Region 1).

Curb your Enthusiam S1 is out on region 2 already, S2 is out on 18th October.

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=160932
    http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=R2&title=179756

I'd love to see Andy Richter Controls The Universe on DVD with a commentary track from the from Richter. Would be class.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭herobear

yay ren and stimpy season 1&2 has finally been released on region1 :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭hoolio

I'd love if Garth Marenghi's Darkplace got released (why that never took off i'll never know)

Samurai Jack would be nice aswell

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

hoolio wrote:
    Samurai Jack would be nice aswell
    Season 1 is out on Region 1 DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

hoolio wrote:
    I'd love if Garth Marenghi's Darkplace got released (why that never took off i'll never know)

I agree... it's the most important show since Quantum Leap, and I don't say that lightly...

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Frank Drebin

Sledge hammer............

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Tom

Sledge Hammer is being released at the the end of January play

• Registered Users Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

woo hoo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Lizzy

According to play.com series one is due to be released on 4/4/05!

Yay!

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I would love to see Brisco County Jr on DVD. One of my favourite shows of all time.
    I also agree that Space Above and Beyond should be released.

You can get the whole season of Brisco County Jr (27 episodes i think) from Amazon.com

They only sell them on video as they arent available on DVD. The are currently no plans for a DVD release, or so Ive read.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

They only sell them on video as they arent available on DVD. The are currently no plans for a DVD release, or so Ive read.

My mistake, it was released, but they just don't have them anymore. There's a few websites that still have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Zoton

I'd like to see "Two Guys and a Girl", "Thats My Bush", and "Brimstone!"
    And South Park 6,7,8

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

hoolio wrote:

Here here...its a crime and a sham that it didnt do well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

I'd love if they released the Amazing Race on DVd. Was a good show(that is the series I seen on Sky one) but I'd love Scrubs to be released.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 brad555

For years, I had hoped that they would put Roswell on DVD. Then finally, they were smart and put great DVD Box Sets out for the fans. Since Season 3 DVD was just released this week, it was awesome to be able to watch this old, great show from beginning to end! I know the Roswell fans asked the Studio tirelessly for the DVD to be released, so ask and I guess we'll receive!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Roswell season 3 has been out for a long while,it was only released this week for region 1. I had season 1 from a while back,and I bought season 2 in virgin,and got season 3 free,some special offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

Third Watch... but i think ill be waiting a while yet :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,143 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Is Oz on R2 DVD at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Third Watch..... It never should have been cancelled, and they should really put it on DVD. Curses to them for arguing!

John

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Freaks and Geeks.

That was a great show, why did it have to be cancelled. It was even nominated for Emmys but Malcom in the Middle won them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Ye I have never seen seasons 1 and 2 of Third Watch,id love it to be on dvd.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,812 ✭✭✭✭Basq

iguana wrote:
    Freaks and Geeks.

That was a great show, why did it have to be cancelled. It was even nominated for Emmys but Malcom in the Middle won them all.
    Already on DVD!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭CrimE

I have seen all seasons of third watch but as it started in '99 I cant remember any of it other than the bits I have recorded.

That seems to be the unamimous belief wherever I got that they should have never cancelled third watch, as NBC are starting to realise as their ratings have suffered as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

I totally agree with Pinky and the Brain
    Also I'd love if Two Guys and a Girl came out, I'm just mad about that show!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

There was a few massive rows about third watch at the time. I read it on IMDB or some such site.

John

Advertisement