Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Titor

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

stevenmu wrote:
    Many Americans, and in particular the NRA types aren't going to be very happy about this and it could easily lead to the situation John Titor described.

Pretty good foresight to say the least.

Ahh I'm not sure about this, I'd say you could nuke the US and noone would touch the 2nd amendment.

Americans seem to value it over the right to beathe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

You might be surprised by this, I've discussed gun rights with this group of Americans before and they were pretty divided on the issue. The two main arguments for gun rights were self defense and to overthrow a potential "tyrant" government. I noticed it was mainly the people living in urban "big city" areas who were against gun rights and those who lived in more rural areas who were for them, again matching JTs predictions, altough if he's an NRA nut as some have suggested then that would be pretty natural to him.
    It's also worth pointing out that many of the anti-gun crowd interpret the "state militia" wording of the 2nd ammendment to mean the national guard units that each state currently has and they say it doesn't apply to the general population.
    You're right about how much the pro-gun lobby value their rights though, from what I've gathered any attempt to restrict them would probably lead to a civil war.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭keu

Just watched Michael Moores bowling for Columbine. Americans are very ****ed up.

ohh..and I had a dream about John titor last night. Lots of symbolism but I recall two dates which came up the 19th and the 9th..was very straaange.

thought it better to come back and re-address that statement, I think I was just overwhlemed after watching that docu last night and even today after the second presidential debate, its difficult to detach yourself emotionally from the US saga, the John Titor story just promotes the esence of it all.
    There is no denying the deep polarization within the states right now and the results of this election are so so crucial in all respects.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

The owner of johntitor.com was on US radio last night/this morning on Coast to Coast AM so I gave it a listen.

One of the things he mentions was a question that was asked by one of the people on one of the message boards that this "time traveller" frequented, asking what parts of the US were safe. The answer given was "watch the election results.

the following is taken from

http://www.johntitor.com/News4.html

HOST: Warning: The following link will really test your ability to judge reality. It's so weird and strange as to be almost unbelievable. I haven't had a chance to check it for fact and if someone else can, that would be great. Thanks to Travis for sending this.

"FORUM MEMBER: Are some areas of the United States safer than others?

JOHN NOV 25, 2000: Take a close look at the county-by-county voting map from the last
    elections."

That said, take a look at this!

http://www.users.qwest.net/~bazerko/GODvsBUSH.gif

http://www.snopes.com/politics/bush/hurricane.asp

It is worth noting however that the track of hurricane jeanne is innacurate on that map.

• Advertisement

I know this might be totally irrelevant, but in the dream I had, there was this guy called John, same type scenario, leaving messages and depicting scenarios, but in the dream it was like he was a professor, a phd or something in the given subject.
    When I woke up..I started searching for anything related to that and I did come up with a few things which suggested as much.
    It has been suggested that whoever John titor was, He was educated in the given area and he may have worked at some Govt. level.

Now..I'm not a fan of art bell but I thought this was interesting. Considering JT started out with art bell (probably knowing he could sell the story)
    In a short segment from a radio show that Art Bell did in 1997, Art had asked workers of Area 51 to phone in and spill the beans about Area 51. The following is a transcript of the talk:
    "Hello Art? Art? Hi....I don't have a whole lot of time..um...I was a former employee of Area 51...I was let go on a medical discharge about a week ago...and...and...(starts to cry)...I kinda been running across the country...um...um....man....I don't know WHERE to start......they'll triangulate on this position really, really soon... (starting to break up and get more frantic--Art tells him to give us something quick>)...OK...um...um....What we're thinking of as Aliens ...they're EXTRA-DIMENSIONAL BEINGS...that an earlier precursor of the SPACE PROGRAM MADE CONTACT WITH...uh...they are NOT what they claim to be...uh...they have INFILTRATED a lot of aspects of the MILITARY ESTABLISHMENT particularily Area 51...uh...the DISASTERS that are coming...the GOVERNMENT knows about them....and there's a lot of SAFE AREAS in this WORLD THAT THEY COULD BEGIN MOVING THE POPULATION TO...N O W - Art.....but they are NOT doing anything about it... THEY WANT THE MAJOR POPULATION CENTERS - WIPED OUT SO THAT THE FEW THAT ARE LEFT WILL BE MORE EASILY CONTROLLABLE....(breaking up more, starting to cry...)...I started getting...." Silence - Art went off the air at that point.
    In the next program Art said they found that their satellite had "lost earth lock". That means, it was knocked out of position.
    Supposedly some time after the same bloke called back the Art Bell show and he said that he was only joking. All very x-filesy.

The way JT tells the story is like he has already read the script, which makes me think that the Govt do already know some things in advance. (or have planned in advance)
    If Bush is re-elected I will be convinced of that.

The programme mentioned the IBM 5100 and how John Titor went back to the 70's to buy one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=74946&item=5129771869

well somebody believes in him.

I personally am of the belief that no matter what happens, there will be an interpretation for every thing that this guy said. The same way there were different interpretations for what Michaelangelo de Nostredamus wrote.

His predictions of mass blackouts could be interpreted as a prediction of the major blackout a year or two ago on the east coast of the states.

I'm looking at the message rather than judging the messenger.
    The thing about time travel is, within the area of the paranormal, it is the one field which actually has scientific possibilites and therefore it's more plausible than ghosts or whatnots..if scientists declared tomorrow that time travel is not only possible but in the process of development, would that make John titors story more believable?

I dunno..but his physics were classy all the same.
    When John Titor visited our worldline in 2000 - 2001, he gave certain physical details about the physics and engineering behind his time machine. He stated the machine operated through the use of two mini black holes that produced a gravity field that allowed passage from one worldline to another. In march of 2001, John got into a discussion about his machine with his arch nemesis, Darby. For those unfamiliar with Darby, he is currently the moderator at the Time Travel forum at http://www.anomalies.net.

For the last four years, Darby has been hell-bent on driving people away from the idea of time travel and John Titor specifically. In their last few conversations before John left, Darby and John went back and forth on many subjects where Darby took great pride in trying to out-maneuver John over his physics statements. As time went on, John has proven to be correct on many of the bizarre statements he had made. It appears he was right about another.

Darby attacked John on a routine basis (and still does) based on Steven Hawking's theories on black holes. When John was here, Steven Hawking believed that mini-black holes were impossible to contain because they would evaporate and disappear in something called "Hawking Radiation." Here is a short question and answer between Darby and John: linnky "MARCH 14, 2001

DARBY: It's Hawking Radiation you can't overcome.

JOHN: Yes, that is true. If you firmly believe that Hawking radiation cannot be controlled or goes on even without the presence of virtual particles forever until the singularity explodes than you are correct. "

As it turns out, Hawking has now re-thought his views on this subject and he now agrees with John.
    http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99996151
    After nearly 30 years of arguing that a black hole destroys everything that falls into it, Stephen Hawking is saying he was wrong. It seems that black holes may after all allow information within them to escape. Hawking will present his latest finding at a conference in Ireland next week.linky

..still, I am under the impression that he was a guy who worked for the Govt and had access to TS information.

also question for those who are scientifically minded and with regard to creating singularities..

..from here http://www.csmonitor.com/2003/0523/p25s02-stss.html
    For the best chance to observe Hawking Radiation and evaporation, you'd want a black hole that was much closer than naturally occurring black holes, and much less massive. It's a common misconception that you have to have a huge amount of mass to create a black hole. Any amount of mass will do, as long as you cram it into a sufficiently small space. A super-massive black hole with the mass of a billion Suns might be the size of our Solar System, but the Earth could be a black hole too if you packed it into the volume of a marble. Even a person will do, although you'd have to cram them into the space occupied by a single electron...
    [snip]
    Amazingly, scientists are becoming increasingly confident that they will be able to create black holes on demand, in quantity, using the new atom-smashers due to come online in the next five years. Some estimates suggest that the new Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at the European Center for Nuclear Research (CERN -the acronym is in French) will be able to create an average of one black hole each second. LHC will bombard protons and antiprotons together with such a force that the collision will create temperatures and energy densities not seen since the first trillionth of a second after the Big Bang. This should be enough to pop off numerous tiny black holes, with masses of just a few hundred protons. Black holes of this size will evaporate almost instantly, their existence detectable only by dying bursts of Hawking radiation...
    [snip]
    "But wait", I hear you say, "Has anyone considered that creating artificial black holes might not be the best idea?" The idea of creating black holes in the laboratory has to give one pause. I mean, how can anyone resist the urge to imagine future headlines like "Artificial Black Hole Escapes Laboratory, Eats Chicago" or some such thing? In reality, there is no risk posed by creating artificial black holes, at least not in the manner planned with the LHC. The black holes produced at CERN will be millions of times smaller than the nucleus of an atom; too small to swallow much of anything. And they'll only live for a tiny fraction of a second, too short a time to swallow anything around them even if they wanted to.

isn't this what CERN are doing?
    CERN--Conseil Européen pour la Recherche Nucléaire--is the world's largest scientific research facility. It is located in Geneva Switzerland and employs over 3,000 of the world's top scientists. CERN houses an underground particle accelerator that is over fourteen miles long and stretches all the way into France~ and they recently suceeded in producing anti-matter. Antimatter is the ultimate energy source. It releases energy with 100% efficiency (nuclear fission is 1.5% efficient.) Antimatter is 100,000 times more powerful than rocket fuel. A single gram contains the energy of a 20 kiloton atomic bomb--the size of the bomb dropped on Hiroshima. In addition to being highly explosive, antimatter is extremely unstable and ignites when it comes in contact with anything...even air. It can only be stored by suspending it in an electromagnetic field inside a vacuum canister. If the field fails and the antimatter falls, the result is a "perfect" matter/antimatter conversion, which physicists aptly call "annihilation." CERN is now regularly producing small quantities of antimatter in their research for future energy sources.
    is a "perfect" matter/antimatter conversion a singularity?
    when nothing becomes something..a little like the big bang..only in this case a relatively little one, yet has the capacity to create enough energy to take out a continent.
    and if anti-matter can be contained with an electromagnetic field, does that not equal a "black hole"

eh? eh?

keu wrote:
    is a "perfect" matter/antimatter conversion a singularity?
    when nothing becomes something..a little like the big bang..only in this case a relatively little one, yet has the capacity to create enough energy to take out a continent.
    and if anti-matter can be contained with an electromagnetic field, does that not equal a "black hole"

eh? eh?
    No, sorry.

The best way to explain a black hole is with a quick explanation of gravity. Gravity is caused by distortions in space-time, the more mass an object has, the more space-time it distorts, the denser that mass is, the more severe the distortion is and hence the higher the gravity. A good analogy is to think of space time as a huge rubber sheet. Now picture what happens if you put a bowling ball on the sheet, the sheet will bend down and anything near it on the sheet, say a small marble will roll towards it. Now imagine if you roll the marble at a tangent to the bowling ball, if you get the speed right it will revolve around the bowling ball in an orbital path. In this analogy the bowling ball could represent our sun, the marble could represent the earth orbiting it and the bend in the sheet represents the gravity of the sun.

Now imagine taking something with the weight (mass) of several bowling balls but it's only the size of a marble and putting it on the sheet. It would bend the sheet to the point that it's vertical as opposed to the gentle slope around the bowling ball. If you rolled a marble past the bowling ball fast enough it would roll up the slope and escape the bowling ball's "gravity well", but no matter how fast you roll a marble it won't climb a vertical slope, that in essence is what a black hole is.

Matter/Anti-matter is, well, completely different from this. It's only really relevant as a power source. Basically when an atom of anti-matter comes in contact with an atom of regular matter the cancel each other out and under E=MC2 energy is released. I'll point out that even in the most powerfull nuclear blasts only a tiny amount of matter is converted to energy, with a matter/anti-matter reaction all of it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,523 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

stevenmu wrote:
    Now imagine taking something with the weight (mass) of several bowling balls but it's only the size of a marble and putting it on the sheet. It would bend the sheet to the point that it's vertical as opposed to the gentle slope around the bowling ball.
    Don't be silly, it would rip the rubber sheet and fall through the hole and make a dent on your nice floor.

:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Gordon wrote:
    Don't be silly, it would rip the rubber sheet and fall through the hole and make a dent on your nice floor. :D
    wow, falling through a hole in the universe , that would really upset the spacetime continum...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

That bit about reading like Dan Browne, Angels & Deamons painted CERN as developing MACH 6 scramjets 'n stuff which I dount they do.

But this bit about going back to get an old IBM .. smacks of Y2K compliance hype. Even if there is total social collapse a lot of knowledge will survive, in the past very little public domain technical knowlegde has been lost. In the "dark ages" people used better farm implements, and crop rotation strategies than in Roman days. Hey, it makes a great argument for OpenSource :D

Rather than look at the predictions, a quick look at the overall reason for the "mission" (course some skecptic will claim it's a cover story for the real reason )

1.9MHz CPU / 64K memory MAX with BASIC / APL ROM's - not a hard nut to reverse engineer esp if basic has a PEEK function to allow you to read the whole memory map.
    John Titor 02/08/01 09:40: As you are probably aware, UNIX will have a timeout error in 2038 and many of the mainframe systems that ran a large part of the infrastructure were based on very old IBM computer code. The 5100 has the ability to easily translate between the old IBM code, APL, BASIC and (with a few tweaks in 1975)
    http://oldcomputers.net/ibm5100.html
    Apparently, APL was a difficult task for IBM to accomplish with an interpreter in the 5100, so instead they wrote an emulation program so that the S/360 mainframe version of APL could be run instead -- The 5100 is like a desktop IBM S/360 mainframe computer which only runs APL.
    Eh no, just because it can Emulate does not mean it can reverse engineer Unix. cf. SCO case

This has to be a concidence...
    http://inventors.about.com/library/weekly/aa120198.htm
    The second "personal computer kit" was the Mark-8 (also Intel 8008 based) designed by Jonathan Titus.

Wasn't it M$ that would get upset in 2038 ?
    Also today

http://timetravelportal.com/viewtopic.php?t=41 - OMG some "time travellers" are hoaxers !

The whole IBM thing is easy to pick apart. There's a law in computer science, can't remember what it's called, that says "any sufficiently powerful model of computation is equivalent". Essentially this means that a modern computer can do anything the old IBM can because their models of computation will be roughly similar. It also implies that any machine capable of running UNIX is going to be capable of translating it's code, it has to be or else it wouldn't be able to run UNIX in the first place. If they have computers capable of running UNIX, then by definition they have computers capable of reverse-engineering UNIX and translating it's source code.

It's worth keeping in mind that an old 8086 can do pretty much anything that a modern pentium 4 or athlon64 can, just a hell of a lot slower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Now we see if JT is BS-ing us or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 John Titor

No bull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Hi John, welcome to boards. Can you reserve me a place in your neo-agrarian, anti-federal, gun-totin' nigra-killin' jew-baitin' paradise? I'd like a house next to Charlton Heston please. YEEEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWW!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

John Titor wrote:
    No bull

Nice of you to drop by. I thought you had gone back to 2036?

http://johntitor.strategicbrains.com/

Do you use a Tardis? I had one but it broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 John Titor

pork99 wrote:
    Nice of you to drop by. I thought you had gone back to 2036?

Thanking you. I'm back to witness the start of the Second Civil War

• Advertisement

I don't recall many of John Titor's posts on the internet being "one liners"

So are you back in florida again, or have you picked somewhere else to live. Our tiny little island would be less secure for you if the whole world is going to be at each others throats by the year 2005.

Not only am i skeptical that you are the "real" john titor, but I am skeptical that the real john titor was a time traveller. I believe that he was a highly educated person whose skills at telling the future are no more honed than your average fortune "cross my palm with silver " teller

I need convincing, although I doubt very much that your going to do this. I am expecting the same line the church give " Oh its your choice I can't force you to believe " or "I don't really care if you believe."

..where did you park the freakin car man?

anyways...I expect things will start happening late January running into February (presidential inauguration and Iraq elections) opinions John? Hello John?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

in response to this thread
    kernel wrote:
    I have to admit to leaning towards the side of disbelief on this story, but it has more credibility than the SERPO or Titor conspiracies and is an unsolved mystery nonetheless
    I was only thinking about the John Titor story recently. Reading these articles I was reminded of Titor's description of "a Waco type event every month that steadily gets worse". (Possibly based on the religious connotations.)

Although I wouldn't quite class them as armed conflicts between the US govt and it's citizens, it's quite clear there has been general unrest and antagonism directed specifically toward the "christian right" in opposition to Bush. The thing is though, it all seems very.. orchestrated, as if the intent were only to incite a reaction

"The ATF has said witnesses have reported seeing a dark-colored SUV near some of the fires. But it is not clear if the vehicle is linked to the blazes."

from here
    "Unlike a 1996 outbreak of fires at black churches in Alabama and elsewhere, there was no common thread of race in this case. Four of the churches have white congregations and one is black. All were Baptist, the dominant faith in the area.
    Cavanaugh said fires in churches can raise difficulties in finding a motive. "Anything you light in a church is going to be a symbol," he said."

[found thread]
    [link fixed]

Funny that the ATF should be investigating something like this, it's really more of a municipal/state issue, with maybe some federal help on forensics and technical assistance. The ATF involvement would suggest to me that they have an idea of who's behind the arson, and they're already interested in them in relation to other issues.

In terms of John Titor's predictions, I can't see the relevance. According to JT, it would be the religious right, and the libertarians, who would stand up to the government, but in this case they both seem to be on the same side. Unless, you're suggesting that the government is behind the arson attacks to try and provoke a response ?

stevenmu wrote:
    Unless, you're suggesting that the government is behind the arson attacks to try and provoke a response ?
    I think I got swayed by the black SUV..I have visions of a men in black conspiracy. ;)
    From what I've been reading church fires down that way aren't all to rare, in fact there have been no less than 59 fires over the past five years: http://msnbc.msn.com/id/11217468/
    In the past five years, Alabama has had 59 church fires, 19 of those ruled arsons, Ingram said.

Alabama is no stranger to seemingly random attacks on churches. An Indiana man who called himself a missionary of Lucifer pleaded guilty to setting fires at 26 churches in eight states, including Alabama, over a five-year period that ended in 1999.

Jay Scott Ballinger pleaded guilty in April 2001 to setting church fires in Alabama, California, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Missouri, South Carolina and Tennessee from December 1998 through January 1999, according to the Justice Department. He was sentenced to life in prison.
    apparantly they seem to have difficulty finding a motive for the most recent spate, or at least it's not a cut and dry case. It all does seem very professional and orchestrated though.

edit:wouldn't it be christian right vs liberals? I know a lot of Americans who find it easier to blame the christian right for all of america's problems rather than hold Bush & co directly responsible.

funny how it all happened to coincide with the cartoon protests over on this side of the atlantic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

He predicted a civil war in the US starting in late 2004/early 2005. It is now 2006. There has been no civil war in the US.

Fairly obvious hoax from the start tbh.

This may be relevant, if not very interesting. It's an email I got from an email discussion list.
    It might be useful to look back at some recent history.

Back in the mid-90s there were a number of media reports about an "epidemic
    of black church burnings". I remember pictures of black congregants crying
    over the smoking ruins of their churches, with the implication that this was
    a return to days when the KKK bombed black churches.

The Justice Department created a task force to investigate, and the first
    conclusion they came to, obvious from the evidence, was that there was no
    "epidemic of black church burnings", there was merely an epidemic of church
    burnings. Black churches were no more or less likely to be victims of arson
    than white churches. [See
    http://hatemonitor.csusb.edu/atf/church1998/chart_a.gif] (It's unfortunate
    that we still have "black" and "white" churches, but I digress.)

It seems there were people running around burning churches, and the most
    common motive was bigotry against Christians, not racial bigotry. One guy
    in particular, convicted of a couple dozen church arsons and suspected of
    many more (if my memory is correct), had a deep hatred for Christians.

Of course the media never reported this to the extent they did when they
    thought it was a racial story. Widespread racial bigotry conforms to their
    "folk marxist" worldview in which black people are an oppressed group.
    Christians are an oppressor group in their worldview, and many journalists
    have their own biases against that group, so it's uncomfortable for them to
    report a story like that.

http://www.usdoj.gov/crt/church_arson/arson98.html

"Of the 308 persons arrested, 254 are white, 46 are African American, and
    eight are Hispanic. One hundred and nineteen people arrested were juveniles.
    Of the 106 suspects arrested for arsons at African American churches, 68 are
    white, 37 are African American and one is Hispanic. Of the 197 suspects
    arrested for arsons at non-African American houses of worship, 181 are
    white, nine are African American, and seven are Hispanic. Five of the white
    suspects were arrested for arsons at both African American and non-African
    American churches. [See Appendix 1, Charts P-T.] As of September 8, 1998,
    there were 427 investigations in which arrests had not yet been made."

"A. Motives

"The arsons at African American churches raised significant fears about an
    increase in racially motivated crimes. The NCATF has recognized that, to the
    greatest extent possible, it is important to determine the motives
    underlying the attacks on houses of worship. However, it can be difficult to
    establish motives conclusively.

"Among the racially motivated church arsons so far solved through
    convictions, two church arsons have been directly linked to Ku Klux Klan
    members. Evidence concerning a separate incident of two church arsons
    included information that some of the arsonists had attended a Ku Klux Klan
    rally two days before the arson. The remaining racially motivated church
    arsons for which there have been convictions do not appear to have direct
    connections to readily identified hate groups, but rather are the acts of
    small groups of individuals or of arsonists acting alone.

"There have been convictions for racially or religiously motivated attacks
    on houses of worship in Alabama, Florida, Illinois, Louisiana, Mississippi,
    Nevada, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee and Texas.

"As reflected by the list of convictions attached as Appendix 2, the arsons
    -- at both African American and other houses of worship -- were motivated by
    multiple factors, including racism and religious hatred. Arsonists have
    burned churches for other reasons, including opportunistic and random
    vandalism, pyromania, mental health disturbances, feuding with ministers,
    retribution against religious authorities, parking or neighborhood disputes,
    covering up of burglaries, and financial profit. In some cases, the
    arsonists claimed they believed the church to be an abandoned building."

http://hatemonitor.csusb.edu/atf/church1998/chart_p.gif

Hope this clears up who the "usual idiot crowd" is.

-<name removed>

PS Looking through the list of convictions that came from the task force's
    focus on this issue back then, it strikes me that many of those people would
    be getting out of prison right about now. So maybe it's the same idiot
    crowd.

There's nothing there that looks particularly ominous to me anyway.

(altough in a nice touch of synchronicity, the thread is called 'Is It Censorship' :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 227 ✭✭Syke

instability in the world isnt hard to predict. titor was entertaining but if his predictions are now way off the mark.

• Advertisement

SkepticOne wrote:
    He predicted a civil war in the US starting in late 2004/early 2005. It is now 2006. There has been no civil war in the US.

Fairly obvious hoax from the start tbh.
    Were there any calander corrections mentioned in JT accounts ?

Advertisement