Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hats in the ring for the job of moderator....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

apexaviour wrote:
    I'da been fairly upset with a mod if they had banned him for that, not even given him a chance.. That's the only reason I said anything.
    But in fairness the way it was handled was probably the best way it coulda been handled IMO..

No, you are right. A mod would have have asked him to explain himself better and then maybe given a warning. But even the stuff on this thread is spam....suppose it's just a lack of board's etiquette knowledge.... :D

Mind you....asking Dev who he was :D is one of the funniest things i've read in a long time!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 atlas

My personal bias would be away from the SU and CSC - no offense guys but there's already the oversubscribed hackfest that is the SU discussion forum and we need an alternative forum!

It would also be great to get a postgrad view on the proceedings - pekelly is indeed an opinionated b'star'd and I love to see him get it. There really isn't enought PG and UG mingling these days. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 rewop

I would nominate Aodh Rua.
    Like his chosen avatar (Fat Tony), I know him to have a finger in a lot of pies in Trinity.
    He knows about virtually everything going on in the college, so he would be a good moderator.
    Arrrr!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

>Mind you....asking Dev who he was is one of the funniest things i've read in a long time!!!

Believe it or not thats not the first time I've had that reaction. I always get a giggle out of it too, its one of the markers I put down in my head for the growth of Boards. The others were
    "not reading every post at least once" (that went in 1999!)
    "not reading each forum at least once a day" (also 1999!)
    "not knowing we already had an XYZ forum" (Gardening, 2000!)

The funniest one was when someone told Ecksor to "mind his own business" when he deleted spam from a forum or a poster on Afterhours who told me I was acting like I owned the place (much to Montys amusement) !

Lots of good options for Mod here at the moment. Too many actually, usually picking a mod is easy as two people stand out. I'll be back in a few days to decide but until then I'll read whats written here with interest.

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Another milestone is me not realising that someone is already Mod.

I'll probably add another as we generally run a two mods per board system to stop any one mod going bonkers with POWER :)

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

me bonkers with power??? :D
    hrmmmmmm /me bans dev from board... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭MacXP_Irl

SkyLynx wrote:
    Hrm bit of confusion with my frequent name changes but thats me, already a mod but thanks for the vote of confidence :)

And i'd suggest apexbehviour or maybe someone from the arts block to balance out our 'not being up with current affairs' ;)

That would explain the same avatar then wouldn't it, silly me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

SkyLynx is Postgrad and Science end I think we should have the other mod a least undergrad and possible from the Art's Block.

Kappar wrote:
    SkyLynx is Postgrad and Science end I think we should have the other mod a least undergrad and possible from the Art's Block.

....and the perfect candidate would be you!? right!??? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Well thank you, I accept your nomination. LOL.

Seriously, I am not damn, damn, damn opposed to it being two sciences head but I would like to see an undergrad represented here.

• Advertisement

Kappar wrote:
    Well thank you, I accept your nomination. LOL.

Seriously, I am not damn, damn, damn opposed to it being two sciences head but I would like to see an undergrad represented here.

lol....I reckon you are right. Think it would be useful to get a different perspective....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

SkyLynx wrote:
    me bonkers with power??? :D
    hrmmmmmm /me bans dev from board... :p
    Tried it before. doesnt work iirc. you cant ban a co-mod or yourself either.

...i was bored. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

I don't go to trinity, but I reckon SkyLynx is the baaaaaddd choice. Perhaps you should do a campaign around trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

I don't go to trinity, but I reckon SkyLynx is the baaaaaddd choice. Perhaps you should do a campaign around trinity.

Something I'm missing? It's too late anyway he's already a mod. Not doin a bad job either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

On your heads be it.

I shall take my leave.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

I nominate KAPPAR, seriously. He stands out for some reason as someone who wouldnt abuse thier mod powers and could offer needed input for said Forum
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭strawberry

Kappar wrote:

Why don't you nominate someone female to represent the clear majority of female students on campus, and to broaden this board beyond being just another male-dominated computer nerd type hang-out?

Seriously, I mean no offence to said guys, know and love many of them myself, but there are other people on the internet nowadays. Like Ruggerchick (= tentative nomination for Ruggerchick without really having read her posts in detail.) She seems to post here a lot and have her head screwed on properly.

BEAT wrote:
    I nominate KAPPAR, seriously. He stands out for some reason as someone who wouldnt abuse thier mod powers and could offer needed input for said Forum
    ;)

hrmmm all the random people comming in to have their say who don't post here, any more of it and i'll just start deleting their posts as irrlevent.

And Jim u Bitch, don't make me moderate ur ass, damn starscream fan...grimlock all da way.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

strawberry wrote:
    Why don't you nominate someone female to represent the clear majority of female students on campus, and to broaden this board beyond being just another male-dominated computer nerd type hang-out?

Seriously, I mean no offence to said guys, know and love many of them myself, but there are other people on the internet nowadays.
    Look man, we've told you already, you're delusional. There are no women on the Internet. You're not a cute young chick, it's all in your head!

o and for the record, who said i was a postgrad?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

strawberry wrote:
    Why don't you nominate someone female to represent the clear majority of female students on campus, and to broaden this board beyond being just another male-dominated computer nerd type hang-out.
    OK so we need a female arts student. Don't forget the need to represent ethnic minorities in this too and ....

Does it really matter? An undergrad would be an idea but male, female, black, white whatever it makes no real difference. If people have a problem with the moderating there are procedures already in place to deal with this. If, like strawberry thinks, having a moderator that's not female will keep the females away then that's tough, it's a moderator for christ's sake. It is not restricting anyone from posting here. Someone who's been here a while and knows how things work around here is a far better idea imo.

Actually Strawberry is a cute chick, i'll vouch for her :p

I'd say call it quits on this thread tbh, cut all the to-ing and fro-ing and leave it to DeV. and if theres any serious nondecision about who to make mod just give it to me so that i can have at least one interesting board to mod :P

and also so i can give up CTYI :/

crash_000 wrote:
    and also so i can give up CTYI :/

What is CTYI and what's wrong with it?

one of the boards i mod. i hate it. but if i give it up now i'm left with just mythology and no one posts there :P and the CTYI one is populated by 16 yr old idiots :P

crash_000 wrote:
    one of the boards i mod. i hate it. but if i give it up now i'm left with just mythology and no one posts there :P and the CTYI one is populated by 16 yr old idiots :P

Ah...so it is true: Familiarity breeds nothing but children and contempt!!!! :D

oh such contempt. so very much contempt...

kids, kids.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

aodh_rua wrote:
    I'd be happy to help out if needed - although I was an SU sabbat about three or four years ago. In my defence - I'm a postgrad in the CS department now so I'm online all day so semper vigilans!

Being a CS postgrad outweights being a past SU guy. Personally I just don't like the SU, or the guys running it. Idon't like being forced to join anything, I don't like people claiming to speak for me, and I don't like the way the SU use their position to post there memembers along a particular political agenda.

Anyway: DeV, Personally I'd advise at least three moderators with one of them being pekelly. That way you would have a nice spread.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 5,945 ✭✭✭BEAT

SkyLynx wrote:
    hrmmm all the random people comming in to have their say who don't post here, any more of it and i'll just start deleting their posts as irrlevent.

someone has let thier Modding powers go to thier heads havnt they :rolleyes:

watever

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭celingfan

i suppose i wouldn't be considerd no ,ha there is a conspiarcy a foot against me well i have my suspects plastic swords or no plastic sword

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement