Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hats in the ring for the job of moderator....

Options
  • 14-09-2004 6:10pm
    Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭

If you are interested in moderating this forum please put your name forward (or suggest others if you like).

DeV.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭celingfan

Dear people of this forum we live in a country of free speech where we can express ourselves freely in this amazing way i propose no mod this is the internet kids shouldnt be unsupervised on it and the ones that arent are bein exposed to alot worse besides no bad language is used and if ther is so what we us it in everyday life this is not a dictatorship
    Be free to do what you want to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Gom, aodh_rua, and pekelly are three guys that seem very well informed and have the inside track on certain issue. I would argue that now present or past member of the SU should be made a moderator for conflicts of interest.
    I'd imainge allot of these guys would be quiet preoccupied with actua college work however and not interested. I'd do it myself once the admins hadn't any problems with that, though I can't promise to read every post or reply to every thread, can only really commite to checking in once a week, and forget about being Mr active around exam time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

I'd welcome the oppurtunity to Mod this forum. I use this forum alot to both ask an answer questions aswell as just to chat with fellow TCD students. I spent a year in Trinity studying for a Cert in Foundation Studies and am now starting a Degree in Law.
    I am also a commitee member of the trinity access society.

I think that I would do a good job moding this forum.

Thnaks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

I would be interested but again i have a lot work to do.

And in all honesty, being a 26 year old PhD student, i'm not exactly in touch with the needs and issues of my undergrad breathren.....

But i'd love the power!!!!! and maybe i could get a few more greenie boxes like the mods do!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭MacXP_Irl

Triceradon is active around these parts isn't he

• Advertisement

there is no need for them to be full time
    FREEDOM OF SPEECH is more important

Banned... Damn it hasn't worked yet. There shall be no freedom of speach under my mighty fist of doom, merely what I find funny and what I don't find funny (bannable offence.)

Seriously though, forums need moderators to stop spam and pointless crap, and cross talk. Also the occasional slagger off'er of gamers must be banned as well.

Boston wrote:
    Banned... Damn it hasn't worked yet. There shall be no freedom of speach under my mighty fist of doom, merely what I find funny and what I don't find funny (bannable offence.)

Seriously though, forums need moderators to stop spam and pointless crap, and cross talk. Also the occasional slagger off'er of gamers must be banned as well.

I hear you Brother!!!!!:p
    reckon you have the experience to be mod....what do you mod already? would it be a major increase in workload?

p

I've stopped that and apologised i know its not there fault now i am all the wiser now ,i've moved on now

pekelly wrote:
    reckon you have the experience to be mod....what do you mod already? would it be a major increase in workload?

I've experience, I mod nothing, and less of a major increase in workload, more a case of some days I just won't be able to post, maybe even some weeks. I'll be that preoccupied. I'm sure you know where I'm coming from with a PhD and all.

• Advertisement

Boston wrote:
    I've experience, I mod nothing, and less of a major increase in workload, more a case of some days I just won't be able to post, maybe even some weeks. I'll be that preoccupied. I'm sure you know where I'm coming from with a PhD and all.

I'm the same.....less the experience!!! :D Alway's thought you were a mod....must be the post count or something. I liked the old boardsie thingie where you could see what forum a mod moderated. It was handy as you could take thier advice with less...or more confidence. Oh well!

p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

From what's gone on here so far i'd suggest pekelly and maybe Boston (if, like he says himself, ye are ok with that)

Anyway My personal choice would for pekelly to get it. That said I'd rather there was as many moderators as there could be. I mean allot of forums have three and some have four. Not in case of trouble, merely because of the nature of who we are, (students) coverage will be limited at certain times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

I suggest boston or Pekelly too. If there are more than one then I nominate myself too. More than one would be a good idea IMO, this is a busy forum. I don't beleive in banning people because they have a slightly controversial opinion though (unless you were joking pekelly). As long as they aint trolling, spamming, pointless insults etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

Sorry guys but all the nominations so far have been terrible. However I know a guy who I think might be suitable for the job. His name is John.

jhegarty.jpg

Ahh..ha ha, LOL etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

MacXP_Irl wrote:
    Triceradon is active around these parts isn't he
    Hrm bit of confusion with my frequent name changes but thats me, already a mod but thanks for the vote of confidence :)

And i'd suggest apexbehviour or maybe someone from the arts block to balance out our 'not being up with current affairs' ;)

Doesn't apexbehviour do arts thought?...waits for backlash

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭desertcircus

"I would argue that now present or past member of the SU should be made a moderator for conflicts of interest."

I can't see any conflict of interest happening. However, I have no interest in being a moderator.

But I would like to bring something to your attention. The wording above disqualifies anybody who's studied in Trinity in the past twenty years from moderating this board. Every student in the college is a member of the SU, so NOBODY among us should be allowed to moderate.

Aside from the flippant point, I'd have problems with SU officers (what I assume was meant) being barred from moderating. For a start, the first candidates for a possible conflict of interest would be CSC officers, as the bulk of the criticism has been directed at them. Secondly, I can't see an SU officer being unfair in moderating; any possible bias would be jumped on, and they'd have to be careful not to get jumped on for being trigger-happy. Thirdly, why would former SU officers still carry a bias? There's no conflict of interest when the person in question hasn't been involved in the SU for ten years. Finally, if all else fails they could excuse themselves from moderating duties on any thread which discussed the SU.

But as I said at the start, I'm not interested in the job. If you want someone from the SU to try to be moderator, look elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Well i've no objection to you being a moderator, or anyone else that i've met from the SU. SU hack or not i don't think it matters, as its moderating, not oppressing. Sure is only like one other 'su hack' on here? unless they r all hiding....

• Advertisement

Thanks for your vote of confidence sky. I was wondering why DeV wanted another moderator cos IMO your doing a great job. :D This forum really is growing immensely though and it wouldn't be fair on you to do it alone.
    Boston wrote:
    Doesn't apexbehviour do arts thought?...waits for backlash

lol, nay worry. I'm an NS student. Though in fairness the arts block people are in a minority here. So as long as the mods kept things civil I don't think that's necessary to appoint one for balance.. I mean they do have their fair share of power in everything else (su, csc, trinity news etc.) ;) but thats ok cos they want it more.

SU people, despite their cliqueness ;) I'd have no prob with them bein a mod either. Never had a problem with the SU or the people involved therein. The nature of bein a sabbat also usually entails you tryin your best to please everyone.. As good a reason as any to go for it.

Be reasonable, the only reasonable way to sort this out is a fight to the death, roman gladiator style (less bare skin though)

I'll bring the barbeque.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

how about a mod who's not based on campus?

(center of deaf studies in drumcondra)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

/me points out agent smith's giant "give me mod" sign.

i'd say there should be a number of mods for this, at least another one or two anyway. As Boston said with workloads etc. maintaining decent coverage with only one would be a bitch. and once college start i'd lay a bet the college boards will gain a lot of growth.

As it is i'd say Boston, Pekelly and apexaviour, any of the above would do a fine job of it. Provided they dont **** up. then i'll come back and edit this post. very very quickly :p (****e just remembered the 2 day rule - erm well i'll get the other one who doesnt **** up to edit it for me)

Be lucky, you wont be modding anything as irritating as my fora :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

crash_000 wrote:
    As it is i'd say Boston, Pekelly and apexaviour, any of the above would do a fine job of it.

They sound good to me. I'm always here if you're stuck but they seem to want it more and I couldn't take their dreams and aspirations away from them.

apexaviour wrote:
    ....I don't beleive in banning people because they have a slightly controversial opinion though (unless you were joking pekelly)....

well...i'd be of the opinion that it is ok to take the piss....but it would have to be an obvious pisstake and not blatent trolling/flaming!!! :D

I have to admit to being irritated to some of Ceiling fan's comments but perhaps that's his sense of humour (which i've misunderstood) which will develop a proper online form with time!!! But i do believe that some of his comments needed modding....

Having said that, I love controversial opinion!!! I'm one of the most opinionated bastards you will ever meet and I wouldn't be one of TCD's biggest fans but i won't stand by and let a section of it (a society, dept or whatever) be lambasted without reason or evidence. If there is a reason, go for it!!!!

Anyway, i'm a bit drunk now...so if i've said anything stupid....Please forgive me!!!?

p

Nah na mate your kewl.. :D

I suppose I might have a bit of bias in the sense that I'm actually a mate of his. Ya have to believe me when I say this chap takes the mickey all the time (please don't take any pun outta that). So I'd just naturally read it with his hilarious semi-deranged tone in mind.
    Now I'm after re-reading his comments objectively and yes, though he doesn't mean it, his comments could be taken very badly. Yes I agree, they (a couple of the original ones) do need modding. Maybe a deletion and an explanation as to the difference between making a point and making a mockery. If he wants to say that gamers are geeky, that's fine if he can back it up with anecdotal evidence etc etc. But you don't think he shoulda been banned do you? If you said it as a warning that's fair enough. He's a smart kid and as you can see he wisened up once the rules were explained (he is a new poster after all).

I'da been fairly upset with a mod if they had banned him for that, not even given him a chance.. That's the only reason I said anything.
    But in fairness the way it was handled was probably the best way it coulda been handled IMO..

I'd have no problem with Boston, Pekelly and apexaviour, but if you are looking for someone from the Art's Block I would have no problem in helping out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Boston wrote:
    Gom, aodh_rua, and pekelly are three guys that seem very well informed and have the inside track on certain issue. I would argue that now present or past member of the SU should be made a moderator for conflicts of interest.

I'd be happy to help out if needed - although I was an SU sabbat about three or four years ago. In my defence - I'm a postgrad in the CS department now so I'm online all day so semper vigilans!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement