Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argument for your favourite Society

Options

Comments

and I would have to say that these societies benefit people from the "science end" even more as they otherwise probably wouldn't get such exposure to current affairs, etc

Yes please clarify this?!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

uhhh lets not let this descend into some sorta arts heads vs sci/eng people flame war.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

SOL wrote:
    if the hist/phil have 2000 members thats most of the freshers, how can there be a bias? and I would have to say that these societies benefit people from the "science end" even more as they otherwise probably wouldn't get such exposure to current affairs, etc, also free refreshments benefits everyone,

You forget that most scientists are above current affairs, politics are just an unpleasent evolutionary offshoot ;)

Now back on topic, the best society is DURNS because we are all nice guys and gals. We discriminate against no one regardless of race, religion, course or musical tastes. And we have a cosy little room at the top of house six

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

DURNS does sound interesting :)

and SOL's actually a science student, for the record.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Crash, HOW DO YOU KNOW everybody?

Quick! What colour is my hair?
    John2 wrote:
    You forget that most scientists are above current affairs, politics are just an unpleasent evolutionary offshoot ;)

Aye, we're an objective nonchalant bunch. We only get involved with those power-hungry spin-doctors to badger them for more funding. And we feel dirty when we do it ;)

• Advertisement

Ginger. and i'm exceedingly well connected Apexaviour. i'm like a mini mafia :D

also iirc SOL's point about that is the reason he does debating is that otherwise he feels that, doing science, he's continously exposed to very little of the outside world and always sees the same people. had a conversation about this a while back with him. mainly involved me asking did he enjoy being a master debater. hehehe.

crash_000 wrote:
    otherwise he feels that, doing science, he's continously exposed to very little of the outside world and always sees the same people.

Hmm... Why specifically science though? How would it be any different than if you did say history and Irish? I mean it's not like he sits alone in a lab in a cave! Science is a big course like, there are a lot of interesting sociable folk there. But if you think you know everybody there and want to meet new people you can join any club or society. He likes debating so he joins the Hist, that's grand. But lets say an arts fellow's sick of seeing the same blotchy fake-tan and stupid hats all the time, he wants to meet new people so he joins a society.
    This is my point like, HOW would it benefit a science student any more than an arts student? That makes no sense IMO..

*shrug* dont shoot the messenger, or the mini-don as i prefer to be refered to as - just explaining what i remember was his reasoning :)

was i right about the hair btw?

Alright sorry. I refer that Q onto SOL then. I wanna pick his brain. (ice-pick ;) )
    crash_000 wrote:
    was i right about the hair btw?

Yeah you WERE! Do you know these peeps personally don crashioso? My deepest respects to your mother by the way. I heard you mention irc earlier, is that where you know them?

okie can't sleep.. And about the above. There's A TWIST in the plot. They're spoutin sh1te until our very own ECKSOR goes in and kicks their asses! Skylynx, u should be particularly happy, the way he talks he makes TCD maths degree sounds like the best in the world.. :D

<edit> Couldnt sleep yet I was tired enough to post this in the wrong thread</edit>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

maths ^_^_^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

apexaviour, yea what? whats all htis about, you on IRC or something. Crash knows everyone everyone knows crash. Imagine my surprise when the guys Pm'ed me claiming to know my friends. First things I did of course was dig up the dirt on him... muhaaaaa.

Boston, u've lost me man..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

apexaviour wrote:
    They're spoutin sh1te until our very own ECKSOR goes in and kicks their asses! Skylynx, u should be particularly happy, the way he talks he makes TCD maths degree sounds like the best in the world.. :D
    Yeah us maths nerds a well connected in the higher echelons of boards :p

Actually SOL's an old mate of mine. so's strawberry, she posted here in another thread. then theres PHB - and boston i know through two guys i know. and my gf was at his schools debs.

First you get the money, then you get the power, then you get the doughnuts.... :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭article6

Crash, you forgot me - not an old mate, or a good friend, just a cynical acquaintance.

Maths!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

crash_000 wrote:
    Actually SOL's an old mate of mine. so's strawberry, she posted here in another thread. then theres PHB - and boston i know through two guys i know. and my gf was at his schools debs.

Hold on PHB know's Fergus? Anyway I actually met Jen through Aoife, who I met through Fergus. I kept thinking Jen was aoife and aoife was Jen. Ps you ever hear about me and Zoe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭celingfan

With regards to COM SOC last year was the most prolific year for comedy in this college why i hear you asn wel listen and i shall tell..well when i went to the csc i told them these ideas amd pow since the powers that be are all highly connected with the phil hist and players who i may ask all had put on this stuff wow who told them that yes we may have not have had the budget of the corrupt few but at least we are true to our cause comedy,we would have put on a jolly good show i must admit,

• Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

DURC, the olympic target shooting club. Which isn't in a grungy old shed...

Sparks wrote:
    DURC, the olympic target shooting club. Which isn't in a grungy old shed...
    Man you're such a soc whore..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,055 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Ape, you have no idea....
    :D

(And DURC is a sports club - meaning it's tied to DUCAC - not a Society - which would be tied to the CSC - so technically, it's "club whore" to you :p )

Yeah I meant that sorry (you'll see in the other thread). Got a bit lost in the anger ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pCiaran

I'm in the Hist and going into my third year of college.

With regards to:
    celingfan: With regards to COM SOC last year was the most prolific year for comedy in this college why i hear you asn wel listen and i shall tell..well when i went to the csc i told them these ideas amd pow since the powers that be are all highly connected with the phil hist and players who i may ask all had put on this stuff wow who told them that yes we may have not have had the budget of the corrupt few but at least we are true to our cause comedy,we would have put on a jolly good show i must admit,

This actually just made up. The Hist began running their annual comedy night four years ago this year. There was certainly a comedy night organised by ents in my first year as well. The idea that Hist/Phil/Players sit around in a dark room and decide how to divy up ideas is as ridiculous as it sounds. We all organise our own things. There's a fair bit of rivalry between Phil and Hist and I don't even know any players people. I'm sure they're lovely.

With regards to:
    imo all the socities together benfit the college, together, not as singular items as by their nature they only cater to select segments of the student population.

The Phil last year had about 2100 members (correct me if I'm wrong Luke), the Hist had about 2000 if I remember rightly. There is a huge crossover in membership, probably about 400 people in each who don't join the other. In the course of last year the Hist packed out the Ed Burke twice (so did the Phil). These were separate groups of students each time which means that in one evening they caused more members to be present then the entire membership of many small societes. The Hist and Phil cater to a large number of segments of the student body. Continued success helps with grants but they also run fund raising events during the year.

They also have an large, active and committed group willing to work hard in Fresher's Week. I'm not saying that small societies don't work exceptionally hard during Fresher's Week but last year there were between 40-50 people involved as in getting new members for the Hist. Some might only have worked a day or two but at least 20 were working all day every day, from getting a spot at 4.30 in the morning to a club night finishing at 4.30 in the morning.

And lastly with regard to:
    Yes I know him. He's the only Science person in my year I know of that is anyway involved in the GMB. You've mentioned that about the officers. They could be just token "see we're for everyone" Colin Powell-esque. But like sky, if ya had a break down of the active members though that showed that a large % were Hamilton end people, I'd concede. Until then though, I'll continue to firmly believe and voice that phil/hist/players are predominantly arts societies.

There are 7 officers on Hist committee this year, three are hamilton end. One CS, one Genetics and one advanced materials. Two of them were elected and one stood unopposed. The Hist (although more accurately the people in the Hist since we rarely act with a Hive Mind) doesn't care enough about making people happy to make someone an officer to have someone for everyone. Both elected officers were elected with a clear majority and even the people who didn't vote for them feel they'll do a great job. I don't think we're allowed to release a list of members in a public forum (or at all I suppose).

Anyway dinner calls,
    Later
    pCiaran

pCiaran wrote:
    There are 7 officers on Hist committee this year, three are hamilton end. One CS, one Genetics and one advanced materials. Two of them were elected and one stood unopposed. The Hist (although more accurately the people in the Hist since we rarely act with a Hive Mind) doesn't care enough about making people happy to make someone an officer to have someone for everyone. Both elected officers were elected with a clear majority and even the people who didn't vote for them feel they'll do a great job. I don't think we're allowed to release a list of members in a public forum (or at all I suppose).

Ugh.. I thought this was gone. Also man, for gods sake the above was already addressed by desertcircus! So instead of replying to your redundant point I'm just gonna copy what I said to him..
    ApeXaviour wrote:
    Heh I know three of them personally. I knew Alex was involved, but Tim Chen and Brian. I wasn't aware of their involvement. Brian's MSISS though.. isn't that kind of a gray area? Ok I suppose it's more engineering than anything else. ;)
    Hmm.. ok that was surprising to me. It's certainly dampened my perspective somewhat. .... What about the everyday active member? Do you honestly reckon that a third of them are hamilton end students?
    Make special note of the last two sentances..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 pCiaran

What about the everyday active member? Do you honestly reckon that a third of them are hamilton end students?

Everyday active member is a bit vague. Of the members who got a vote last year in the elections (you need to have attended three meetings) I think it was about a 70/30 split. But for one or two events last year (comedy night with Ardal O'Hanlon) there was either more science students then arts or close to 50/50. The Genetics debate was nearly entirely made up of hamilton enders.
    Later
    pCiaran

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

hey apex, how do u know brian reddy? also paul brennan was MSISS but transfered to BESS over the summer. its more computers/business than engineering though.

pCiaran, I stand corrected to some extent..

"al" ;) I only know brian cos he goes out with a good mate of mine from my course.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

What does BESS stand for? I want to know which types to avoid..

Business Economic and Social Studies..

A portion of them have a "reputation" we'll say. I'd prefer not to get into it but instead I'll refer you to this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=183158

EDIT: Tbh Pet I wouldn't go avoiding people merely because of their course choice.. Pigeonholing people as a result of a single or limited experience is only human, doing it preemptively I think is naive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭celingfan

BESS
    Best Endeavour to Swallow Semen(Notice how i incompassed both boys and girls!!!)
    I know some bess girls sound enough once you manage to break down the holier than thou I'm better that everone else routine is is to say the least the most fake thing i've come across in all my years alive
    One must realise that they deficate too ,just as nasty as everyone else ,they like it when you tell them that

Advertisement