Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argument for your favourite Society

Options
  • 07-09-2004 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭

Just thought this'd make an interesting thread. Those who have been in Trinity prior, argue to us soon to be junior freshman as to which is your favourite society and why we should join said society :)

Should make interesting discussion and also i really wanna hear more about what people think of the various societies.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

what i want to know is, does trinity have a dutch soc, as in the wonderfull beer that is Dutch gold, or have we moved upmarket to bravaria ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Bavaria sold in the pav dirt cheap last time i was in there

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

hmm, could i betray my dutch gold upbringing for bravaria if it's cheep?

/me ponders

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

It's pretty much bavaria all the way since they serve 4 cans for €7.50 in the Pav.. Or if you're drinking on the cricket pitch you can get them 6 for 6 (centra westmoreland st) :D. They also sell cheap cider cans too if your not a lager fan..
    Aw man, 24th of sept is gonna be a riotious day with the bav in the pav. If anyone's there you won't miss us!

Ok sorry for bein off topic. My opinion on the societies? Mostly useless.. Join a sports club ya nancy :p

They're all gud 'cept croquet.. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

apexaviour wrote:
    Aw man, 24th of sept is gonna be a riotious day with the bav in the pav. If anyone's there you won't miss us!

Explain more to Moi. Since I've be floating around trinity that day, up to no good.

O that probably owuld have been better as a sticky with speicific members of clubs posting a detailed review of there club, including meeting times and special events. Your joining the Judo society btw Crash.

Boston wrote:
    Explain more to Moi. Since I've be floating around trinity that day, up to no good.

O that probably owuld have been better as a sticky with speicific members of clubs posting a detailed review of there club, including meeting times and special events. Your joining the Judo society btw Crash.

24th is the last day of SF resits, need I say more..

Wow wow wow wait a sec... Judo!? :D Haha brilliant, I'll be seein you there then cos I'll be attendin in full force now seein as my shoulder's all healed n built again.
    Canna wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭Imposter

what i want to know is, does trinity have a dutch soc, as in the wonderfull beer that is Dutch gold, or have we moved upmarket to bravaria ?
    Did the Beer Appreciation Soc ever get the go-ahead?

I'll suggest sports clubs too as most of the societies are strange, very strange. Although Sci-fi used to be good for films.*

*Info based on years 95-01

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

apexaviour wrote:
    24th is the last day of SF resits, need I say more..

Wow wow wow wait a sec... Judo!? :D Haha brilliant, I'll be seein you there then cos I'll be attendin in full force now seein as my shoulder's all healed n built again.
    Canna wait!

lol a fellow bum, wd ;) .. i'll have finished mine gone to france and back before your done by the sounds of it............... :)

and shouldn't judo be a club not a society?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

Boston wrote:
    Your joining the Judo society btw Crash.

I do judo, its cool, I've got Orange Belt (which is the 3rd one BTW)

Do you guys know if you can join hockey as a beginner? Cos I only played for one year at school but I'd like to take it up again

• Advertisement

you can join anything in college as a beginner.........its encouraged to try out as much stuff as possible..... sure nearly all club/soc's are more about the drink'n than much else ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭gom

Join DU PUBLICATIONS. Write for Trinity News. Insult people with edited photos of them holding dildos in Pirahna! , write poetry about your penis in Icarus, rant about globalisation for Evoke. Be a feminist for Miscellany. Most importantly have a laugh with some of the best people I've ever met in college.

Write for college publications. Its great craic i'm telling ya(see other post)

If your a CS/Engineer/SCientist join Netsoc. The INternet society. A SHell account once learned how to use is an invaluable tool. Even though Netsoc has gone down the toliet in the last 2-3 years the shell account is worth the euro. Don't ever go to a netsoc meeting. Its not a meeting. Its a bunch of nerds worrying about beening noticed to do anything worthwhile...

Also. Have a look in at the SUb Aqua club (DUSAC). If you have never Scuba Dived before COllege is the cheapest and best place to learn. It is probably one of teh most expensive societies to join. There are only 32 places for newbies and 16 for first time joiners who have learned to dive elsewhere. I think it was €70 which is alot of money considering most clubs are about €2-3. But believe me it is a deal(most dive clubs are 400 yo yo a year).

the Hist and The Phil. Don't on your life join either society. It will cost you €5-6 euro to join both. Don't bother. Its probably the last place you want to been seen dead(the GMB). You can still drink there beer and wine and go to their ****e dos. Just don't ever on your life give them money.

Join St. Vincent De Paul. Its free and its a good society.

Join The Rifle Club. You get to shoot things in a grungy style shed. My girl friend went along there with her dad a few years ago and got banned for using high calibre fire power ;)

Join the Climbers club. They are great craic

Don't join Gamers, Sci-Fi soc, Maths Soc(you won't get an account unless you are a maths student or know someone in the maths dept)...if you join DURNS(Rock Notalgia Society) will kill you probably as I work late in an office below them. KILLL DURNS!!!! , Methaphys(wannkers), any martial art club(they are all lame - go to UCD for that), DUBES (Business and Economic Society)

IF your studying law don't join the Fianna Fail. That is called being a boring fart too early in life.

Join too many societies and go to their drinks reception, get hammered and hammer their promiscious females ;) . Then never go back.

WARNING NEVER GIVE them your Trinity email address or any email address that you don't want being spammed. Your trinity email account will see enough emails over the 4 years so don't get the pain of idiots on mailing lists also.

The most important thing is to get involved in alot of things FAST. DOn't fart about. Once the first 2 weeks are past people are all settled and you can't really get into a society after that

Finally. Get involved in the SU. Stand for your class rep elections. If you don't some other Cuuunt will be get elected and you will be represented by some hack that is more interested in furthering their business career than standing up for their class. I'm deadly serious. Its very important that you do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

gom wrote:
    Join DU PUBLICATIONS. ..if you join DURNS(Rock Notalgia Society) will kill you probably as I work late in an office below them. KILLL DURNS!!!!

Join DURNS, we're great.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,947 ✭✭✭fitz

Sci-Fi is without doubt the most entertaining soc in the College....

gom wrote:
    J
    If your a SCientist join Netsoc. The INternet society.
    only if yer not doing maths thru science, get a maths acc if u are.....
    I think it was €70 which is alot of money considering most clubs are about €2-3. But believe me it is a deal(most dive clubs are 400 yo yo a year).
    Correct me if i'm wrong but ain't it ~300 or summit? don't remember it being that low but i ain't looked at it since i wuz a fresher.
    the Hist and The Phil. Don't on your life join either society. It will cost you €5-6 euro to join both.
    Well there is all that free beer in freshers week, surely ye could drink at least 20euro's worth? god knows i usually do....
    Join St. Vincent De Paul. Its free and its a good society.
    you really don't need to look for these, they just hound you for your email addy in freshers week, because its a charity they can avoid charging people , and since their funding allocation is based on size....you get the idea.....
    Join the Climbers club. They are great craic
    very true, sound bunch.
    Don't join Gamers, Sci-Fi soc, Maths Soc(you won't get an account unless you are a maths student or know someone in the maths dept)...
    Well gamers i'm not in but have heard good things, depends on what your in to...
    Joined Sci-Fi soc in first year, don't see anything wrong with it, nice collection of vids.
    Maths Soc is not about a maths account, the 2 arn't connected in any way, its about lectures on shockingly maths.Was excellent last year some very good lectures, got small society of the year if i recall.
    Finally. Get involved in the SU. Stand for your class rep elections.
    Meh not caring hasn't done me any harm, being a class rep is usually about just having something for your CV. Standing up for us, hrm, where's the oppression?(i'm not saying the SU do a bad job, combat fee's n all that...but..meh)
    most class rep's do nothing, personally only reason i see for em is to organise class drinking trips.

DUSAC(SUb Aqua Club)...

To join it will cost you €70(last years fee). Additionally you will have to buy a wet suit, fins, mask, and enough lead to sink you(about 10kg~).
    I picked all that lot up second hand for $40 on ebay. I found the lead while snorkeling in sandycove(salvage law says its mine). You can go to Great Outdoors if you like where they earn 100% markup or you can shop round.

The SU.
    The folks that don't do a thing for their class are teh assholes that need a boot. I spent the whole summer sorting out folks who failed exams and people who wanted out. Basically forget about teh SU executive and just deal with your class. The SU council is a joke(example motion: get the buttery to introduce more choice in milk... I'm serious ffs).
    By becoming a rep you can make sure your class gets the resources it needs to survive. If your not bothered. Fair enough.

Bags CS class rep. i dunno why but it'll look good on a cv. So far i'm looking towards Netsoc gamers scifi rifle a few other fun ones and probably Aikido for a sport. seeing as i already have done aikido previously it makes life easier :)

crash_000 wrote:
    Bags CS class rep. i dunno why but it'll look good on a cv. So far i'm looking towards Netsoc gamers scifi rifle a few other fun ones and probably Aikido for a sport. seeing as i already have done aikido previously it makes life easier :)

Crash

I did 1st year CS. I don't mean to be a wining old fart but you just listed the sterotypical computer science scoiety racket. I would strongly urge you to join a society/club that you would not have otherwise dreampt of. You would be suprised. The fact that all those societies you mentioned are going to have alot of folks form CS will get on your nerves as time passes. Its nice to be in a club or society that has different people to those that our in your course.

Thats my 2c and I think it has done me well in trinity so far

Well those are my own personal choices. After that its the ones my friends in trinity already that'll bug me to join the others on the day. those are just the ones that caught my eye :)

Ah he was only trying to be helpfull, and has a good point, i imagine some club or another will grab ye in freshers week tho anyway.....Should make sure ye goto one decent thing that don't involve a computer/tv screen.......

• Advertisement

I have more pent up bile to rant out. Though don't worry, I doubt this will turn into any type of flame because it's more rational (and serious). ;)

The college posse got together one day and we became decidedly dissappointed about the lack of humour the Trinity atmosphere possesed. Instead of merely complaining about it (as that wouldn't be funny) we decided to get organised and found a new society (which would be hilarious!).
    We had a leader in our quest. He spear-headed the organisation of what was to be the greatest society since that bearded guy started telling people to love eachother: The Comedy Society!

Everything was researched, surveys were conducted, prelimary officers were appointed. What would we do?
    We'd hold open mike nights, bring in comedians, show new and classic comedy movies. These would only be the regularish events.. One of our main statements was to plan original and humourous events and basically assist in anyway we could to bring a touch of humour to the "trinity experience"..

This was no sham-bam it'll never work incling we had. We were committed. An entire portfolio presentation describing us and our goals was submitted as well as cross-department, cross-year support from under-grads, post-grads and staff alike..

We were turned down by the CSC, why? Becuase what we proposed was "already catered for by ents". HOOP!!! :mad:
    It's no more catered for by ents than that of the gamers or sci-fi. Comedy is a unique entity and yes it is entertaining, does that mean that any society that is entertaining shouldn't be allowed set up?

What's worse is that the year in which the Comedy Society would have been started, a new society called the Cocksoc was founded.. I mean what the hell are they?????!!! Cocktails you say? But there is already a food and drink society.. Oh but they set up nights out you say? Yeah in bloody nightclubs which is ENTS MAIN JOB!!!! Then the real kick in the teeth came.. The cocksocs poster boasted a quippy phrase (quite funny I might add) that was stolen word for word from the portion of our portfolio designating our posters.

There is only one reason this happened: Favouritism! Those nepotic old-boys in the CSC are only likely to let some chap who holds soireés with his fellow Hist&Philies fartys set up a society. Nay for the everyday "common" student.

seems common enuf i'm afraid, i've seen it happen to m8's of mine before aswell :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭celingfan

I joined a few in first year and never went just went to the pav all the time more fun,in second year just turned up and drank them dry had some fun with out membership fees,however the geography society is the only one i'll join next year as they have the best piss-ups and i dont even do geography

Ceilingfan. Are you a soon to be 3rd year PCAM student?

I agree with you about the geog piss-ups, excellent they are. I don't do geog either :p

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

celingfan wrote:
    I joined a few in first year and never went just went to the pav all the time more fun,in second year just turned up and drank them dry had some fun with out membership fees,however the geography society is the only one i'll join next year as they have the best piss-ups and i dont even do geography

Ah yes...i'll agree with you on the Geog Soc....tis good fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭celingfan

I am the spear headed leader of the failed COM SOC those CSC tossers who I may add are all the heads of the phil hist and players who assign the most money cause THEY GIVE OUT THE GRANTS TO THEMSELVES,no after we gave them all the ideas they go and do that themselves thinking they are great,well i plan to take these down don't know quite how yet but i will

apexaviour wrote:
    I have more pent up bile to rant out. Though don't worry, I doubt this will turn into any type of flame because it's more rational (and serious). ;)

There is only one reason this happened: Favouritism! Those nepotic old-boys in the CSC are only likely to let some chap who holds soireés with his fellow Hist&Philies fartys set up a society. Nay for the everyday "common" student.

If I said the name Shane O'Brien to you, would it mean anything to you.

Not me. Any possibility you could PM me as to why?

Ceilingfan, Shane O' Brien: mean anything to you?

He tried to start up a comoedy society last year and the csc shot him down in much the same way as you describe.

• Advertisement

Do you mean last year as in end of term 2003? To be set up for freshers week last oct? Cos that was when we tried (well ceilingfan tried) to set it up..

Advertisement