Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who is/will be studying what?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Having been on sabbatical, I'm returning to Junior Sophister TSM: Classical Civilisation and Biblical Studies. We're the backbone upon which this country relies, dontcha know?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Marq wrote:
    Having been on sabbatical, I'm returning to Junior Sophister TSM: Classical Civilisation and Biblical Studies. We're the backbone upon which this country relies, dontcha know?
    you got your references ready for mc donalds then ? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Triceradon wrote:
    aodh_rua, what you know of the 3rd and 4th year comp eng courses :

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/pub/official/Courses00-01/372.html
    and
    http://www.maths.tcd.ie/pub/official/Courses00-01/362.html

? easy/hard?

I think the fourth year course differs slightly from when I took it, although I work with the lecturers who teach it and I imagine it could be quite interesting. The Microprocessors course in third year is very low level, although the project work for it can be interesting. If you like the whole chip level stuff you'll be fine, otherwise you may find it a little tedious. It does give a good grounding in how computers work, and you'll learn some assembly language.

ah sounds interesting enough so, supposed to be taking both of them this year. told the overlap is minimal.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

i got all my regristration stuff in the post today! my first meeting is a faculty meeting in D'Olier st. and it said who my tutor was too. god ive got an absolute tonne of forms to fill out and I haven't even set foot in the place...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

i got all my regristration stuff in the post today! my first meeting is a faculty meeting in D'Olier st. and it said who my tutor was too. god ive got an absolute tonne of forms to fill out and I haven't even set foot in the place...!

Wait till you get the form for your graduation. Stupidest, most irritating piece of **** i've ever had to fill out.... :D

Triceradon - there should be absolutely no overlap. One course is a step above device level, the other is about knowledge management and highly conceptual fare. They're miles apart.

RuggerChick - are you starting nursing? I didn't realise D'Olier St. was already oen for business.

Graduation forms? ah come on I've got a while to go yet before that lol.

Yeah Aodh, im doing MH Nursing. I hope D'Olier St. is open for business as you put it, dont fancy have lectures on a builing site, might be a bit chilly...

Graduation forms? ah come on I've got a while to go yet before that lol.

Yeah Aodh, im doing MH Nursing. I hope D'Olier St. is open for business as you put it, dont fancy have lectures on a builing site, might be a bit chilly...

I'm sure you'll be fine!

bring an extra jacket i suppose.... :eek: ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭MacXP_Irl

Hey, I just found this form, must be new! I did TP, graduated back in 2002, that was a freakin hard course! Now I'm doing a post grad in limerick...bringing a bit of class to the place (before anyone starts giving out, I can say that kinda thing because I'm originally from Limerick!)
    Graduation forms were a pain, so was the ceremony, it was soooo long and boring, most of it in Latin and to make matters worse, it rained...fun fun fun.

I agree whole heartedly about the student nurse thing, also keep an eye out for the pharmacists (90% female) and the exchange students...ah to be there again!

u were a TP, you's arn't supposed to leave the library, never mind this women lark..... tut tut tut....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 atlas

Triceradon wrote:
    u were a TP, you's arn't supposed to leave the library, never mind this women lark..... tut tut tut....

wasn't like that in the height of my day - nutters the lot of them and the deadliest parties. We had a party in New Square, got busted, went through the basement, came up in another house in New Square, got busted again later on and went back to the first house. The TPs got curfews which they happily ignored! I think the campus parties are a bit quieter with the new Junior Dean though! ;)

well depends on the tp, kinda a split class between the proper nerdy types and the normal people.......

though nothing quite like that^^............ and curfews? wha? how long ago was this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 atlas

1999 or 2000 - I can't remember which side of Christmas it was. They even had a guy juggle fire in one of the sitting rooms

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

I'm heading to trin for the 1st time. Im a bit worried that its going to be really hard - Im going for a MSc in Multimedia - anybody know how this course is viewed (difficult/dossers what?). Thanks in advance!

hrm maybe its just up by front square, i wuz in goldsmith last year, nothing like a curfew, more like a normal apartment than campus really, security were sound blokes too(hadda help me with the ole swipey one nite i was a little too polluted to put it thru at the correct speed r summit.......)
    I'm heading to trin for the 1st time. Im a bit worried that its going to be really hard - Im going for a MSc in Multimedia - anybody know how this course is viewed (difficult/dossers what?). Thanks in advance!
    I wouldn't worry about it, every course has its dossers, people who think its easy, people who think its hard...... Just about what you make of it, anyway if you don't like it swapping is easy until just after xmas in tcd....

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

Thanks Triceradon!
    Is fresher's week just for 1st year's btw? - I'm new so I don't have a clue where anything is :(

Feel so not-in-the-know... Do master's students join clubs and societies? Do post-grads start classes later than everyone else (11th October).

Im 22, just finished my degree and no one else I know went for a masters :(

no its not, alot of other years use it for joining new socities and clubs in general, and at 22 you will probally find there are older freshers than u, so i wouldn't worry about looking stupid doing all the tours and so on. Might aswell make the most of the week to get your bearings.

And yeah masters/phd and so on join all the club's, and afaik some postgrad courses do start later alright....

swipe card? oh no, another thing i could lose lol.
    i dont get one do i...?please no!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

It'll be your college ID for getting into the library 'n' stuff although if you are living on campus or in darty you'll get another card.

no i wont be living on campus, thanks!

Triceradon wrote:
    I never said that I was a good TP! you're right about the split in the class, there are some really nerdy super brains there and normal ppl, the rest fell in between.

@Ruggerchick, you gotta try getting a spot in campus in 2nd or 4th year. I lived in Goldsmith in second, that was the greatest fun EVER!

meh loosing it is no biggie really tho its like 10/20 euro to get a new one if i recall...

MacXP_Irl wrote:
    I never said that I was a good TP! you're right about the split in the class, there are some really nerdy super brains there and normal ppl, the rest fell in between.
    Yeah i fell into the extreemly lazy drinkers part of the class during my time there, though got bored of the crap labs so moved to good ole maths.
    @Ruggerchick, you gotta try getting a spot in campus in 2nd or 4th year. I lived in Goldsmith in second, that was the greatest fun EVER!
    ...Excellent fun(did it last yr) ...but not the way to get a 1st ;) everyone i know who's spent time there's results dropped a fair bit as a result....

[EDIT]
    Just outa idle interest where u goto 2nd level in limerick MacXP?
    [/EDIT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Kappar

Triceradon wrote:
    meh loosing it is no biggie really tho its like 10/20 euro to get a new one if i recall...
    I thinks it only about 7 quid but don;t quote me on that.

@Triceradon Yeah, I was the same, luckily I took up the offer in 2nd year so I managed to claw myself back up a bit. Goldsmith is so handy though, street access and you're beside the DART. Fiends of mine lived up in front square....and the other building, the white one with the doctors and physio on it (backing on to pearse street that for the life of me I can't remember the name of) they definately wern't as nice.

goldsmith is nice but not the nicest, GMB and bottany bay are nicer now(possibly renovated since ur time..). I dunno how usefull being beside the dart station is, when yer that close to the college/city centre where do ya need to be going?

Triceradon wrote:
    goldsmith is nice but not the nicest, GMB and bottany bay are nicer now(possibly renovated since ur time..). I dunno how usefull being beside the dart station is, when yer that close to the college/city centre where do ya need to be going?

Work, I'd the bright idea to work weekend in 2nd year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭snorlax

Im a sf in occupational therapy. Nursing is a great course, great fun! at least your not stuck in st james hospital like all the nurses last year off campus, there's no facilities out here where we are!
    coffee's crap and a rip off at 2.60euro!

Advertisement