Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to shave?

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Never said I wasn't cheap in other ways!

Yes it will...hence I prefer what I find good, especially when done in a rush in the morning with your eyes closed, for the sake of a bit more cash.

As I said earlier, each to their own!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I don't buy them because they are cheap, though that is an added advantage, but because they do as good a job as any of the other fancy razors and lubricants that are out there. They are more marketing and hype than actual substance. A careful shave is the most important thing and that above anything else reduces cuts and redness etc. no matter what blade you have. You could have the top of the range razor and lubricant and still cut your face to shreds or have a perfectly clean shave with a standard disposable with a few shaves already done with it. It's how you shave, not what you shave with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Like I said I disagree. You can't be so definate about it. So it's the same to shave with a blade that's been used for 2 months as a new blade? Cos that's the kinda difference I've experienced going with different brands/prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

Placebo wrote:
    wtf is an exfoliator ? shaving lotion again....hmmm, ive never heard or seen any of thoese.
    thanks.

Sorry for the delay Placebo

An exfoliator is, as weird as it sounds, almost like a sandpaper for the face.

have you ever used an industrial hand clenser that has 'bits' in it... it's abrasive particles that help clean the hands.

It's the same with exfoliator; it doesn't feel bad, but it helps remove dead or flaking skin for the face, meaning that the razor can get closer to the actual living skin, and the root of the hair.

You should never use it more than once a week, remember, it technically is a liquid mild sandpaper.

Hope this helps
    The snapping turtle of the land of 1212 paranormal

Well obviously no one is going to keep a blade for 2 months, so don't be ridiculous. A "few" shaves is not two months worth. I am making the point that you can cut yourself with any blade and get good shaves with them too, but the key thing is to be careful. Whatever about all the bits and marketing that surround them, there are still just two blades in the head doing the work and a fancy handle or a lubrastrip isn't going to make much difference to the job they do and you'll get about the same amount of shaves with the same reduction in performance as you use them over time. Take a new fancy razor and a new disposable or a pair having done the same amount of shaves and there will be very little difference in the job they do and it is how you use them that effects the quality of the shave.

Like with any type of products with fancy gadgetry, they basically do the same job. Your top of the range BMW goes the same speed in a traffic jam as a clapped out Renault 4, even if you have a more comfortable seat to sit in, and they both go 40mph at the exact same speed! They'll both get you to where you are going. They both have the fundamentals of 4 wheels, an engine, a steering wheel, a geerbox etc., whatever about the comforts of the BMW, which are lovely to have. Still, they both basically do the same job for which you have got them. In the same way, two new blades in a regular disposable or a Mach 3 are going to shave you in more or less the same way and to the same standard, no matter how fancy the Mach 3 looks. So don't be fooled by the marketing men. I've had some very nice, clean, smooth shaves this week, as good as any I have had, all with a Gillette disposable. I couldn't have got a cleaner or smoother one with any of the fancy razors that I have used over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

once i shave up(against the grain), the next day i cant again but some stuble would be noticable, stuble is a strong word, id call it a shade, so i will be staying clear from shaving against the grain again.

The way is to first shave with the grain and then, having got rid of the initial stuff, after a few strokes shave against the grain. Having got the initial resistance cut away there is less resistance left, meaning the shave against the grain is a lot easier and you don't have to work so hard and so don't do much harm to yourself. You have to shave against the grain to get the last bits. You won't get them shaving with the grain. Start with the grain, finish against the grain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

As for brand, Clinique, it's a bit more expensive, but defintely worth the money.

An oldstyle shaving brush helps also, very hard to buy a good one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭ether

I find I bleed more shaving in the morning so I generally shave at night say after the shower. Go with the grain, then against and top it all off with a nice cooling balm.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

The best way to prevent rash/spots after shaving is to have your shower, get out, have a shave and then the key; GET BACK INTO THE SHOWER AFTER SHAVING for a minute or two.

You're guaranteed to see good results immiedately

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The best way to prevent rash/spots after shaving is to have your shower, get out, have a shave and then the key; GET BACK INTO THE SHOWER AFTER SHAVING for a minute or two.

You're guaranteed to see good results immiedately

And guaranteed to be extrememly late for work!!

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭cajun_tiger

i veet everything no itch or spots....

Advertisement