Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to shave?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭MazdaMan

Hot face cloth applied to the face, then gilette shaving foam, then pull that Mach 3...... (Not Mach 3 Turbo Mach 3 rash giver more like)...., razor against the grain.

End up with a face like a babies arse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭wolfman

Have always used Mach 3 but now I got one of the new M3 Power

I'll never go back! Great shave.....
    http://www.gillettem3power.com/home_f.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭MazdaMan

Wolfman...Are they a gimmick or what?

Do they actually do something different to the normal; Mach 3. And byond that, whats the chances of blowing the battery supply if dipped in water?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

jongore wrote:
    With the grain means shaving in the direction the hair is growing, aginst the grain is vice-versa.
    For years I just shaved downward and had a red neck. I then noticed the grain goes oppositely on my neck. Never looked back since.

Just in case this isn't obvious to everyone...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

MazdaMan wrote:
    whats the chances of blowing the battery supply if dipped in water?

It says that it's water proof so that you may use it in the shower.

• Advertisement

To be honest, I kinda thought they would be.
    When I saw the price, I left it in the shop,
    but herself picked up one for me anyway on Monday and i have used it twice now.....First time was a bit strange......you put it to your face and kinda expect it to start working like a battery/electric razor, but then you remember what you are using!!

I have found I get a really close shave and my shaving time has been "drastically" reduced!!

I mean I am gone from minutes to seconds literally!

As for the water getting near the battery....not a problem at all and anyway, its only an AA or a AAA battery!! More power in a toothbrush!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

that website...checked it, that new gillett looks ****ing awesome, although sounds too good to be true to be honest.
    wolfman wrote:
    To be honest, I kinda thought they would be.
    When I saw the price, I left it in the shop,
    but herself picked up one for me anyway on Monday and i have used it twice now.....First time was a bit strange......you put it to your face and kinda expect it to start working like a battery/electric razor, but then you remember what you are using!!

I have found I get a really close shave and my shaving time has been "drastically" reduced!!

I mean I am gone from minutes to seconds literally!

As for the water getting near the battery....not a problem at all and anyway, its only an AA or a AAA battery!! More power in a toothbrush!

where did you get it, ne idea how much ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Boots (Stephen's Green) had about 1 or 2 at 16.99 I think. They had a display case but it was turned inwards so maybe it's due to start this week.

I reckon I'm gonna buy it if someone actually says it's good. That's all I've wanted to hear! It's totally waterproof and shower-safe (look at the site maybe?!).

One thing I'm not sure on is about the blades - you can use any Mach3 blade on it - so why would you buy the even more expensive than usual M3Power ones - do they affect the battery-feature?

ok im gonna buy this tomorow, **** it its only 16.99/
    il post how it goes monday evenin.

Nice one.

• Advertisement

Sorry for the delay

Believe it or not....this MUST have been priced wrong! Herself picked it up in O Riadas chemist on the Tonlegee Road for 8 euro or 8.99!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anywhere else I have seen them, they are about 16 or 17

Anyway, best of luck with it. Used it again today and had a shave done in under a minute!

Where abouts is the Tonlegee Road? Laois?

No. Sorry
    Dublin. Just off Coolock village.

where is coolok ? is this an area or a street in city center ?

edit: you said village, so cant be a street - doh :rolleyes:

just read through the FAQ and the whole micropulses raising your hair so you can shave better, i dont see how it would raise your hair if you shaving gell all over your face ! :eek:

Coolock is a suburb north of Dublin towards the airport.

They're now 12.99 in the above chemist - not worth avoiding your local to save 4eu max.

went into boots, in town.

€ 16.99 i think, you get a battery and only 1 extra cartridge (so 2 in total)
    A pack of 8 cartridges = €20.00 !!!!!!! the ****....

Also got king of all shaves... oil thing.

The razor vibrates when you press the button.. hope it works, will use it tomorow morning and let you guys know.

I did the same today. Although I hate to say it but you got stung! Boots sell 4 M3Power razors for 11eu+ (although u can use any blade with it according to the back) and the razor itself is 17eu.

BUT, at the back of the Boots in Stephens Green there's a display stand with gift boxes incl. the razor, 5 blades and shaving cream. It's 28.99 on the till but 19.99 on the bottom of the display case. The nice girl was happy to give it to me at the reduced price. :)

Just used it too, after a shower and with king of shaves oil & nivea gel. Strange feeling but great shave. No really, I was impressed - quicker and better.

You used the oil and shaving foam ? or did you mean nivea after shave balm thing.

anyway i didnt get those cartridges, i saw the package had no price, so i didnt bother, but i got stung now since you got it for 19.99 lol.

also how much shaving oild does one use ? says 100 shaves, optimistic !?

I use king of shaves oil (5-7 drops on a wet face is enough) and then put on normal nivea shaming cream or foam or whatever the hell I have. You don't need to but the oil suggests you can try both and I find it's easier to go over your face more than once if you've really protected it! If I'm travelling I'd only bring the oil and it's still fine.
    If you don't use the 2nd layer you can see exactly what your doing though which is nice :)
    100 shaves no problem. Hence the quality of this product!

gonna try oil only, whats the point have having both like ?

• Advertisement

Less risk of irritation if you missed a spot / are that irritable :)

Once you use the razor once or twice u will get faster with it as you get used to it

As for oil or foam or gel etc...... I use oil all the time......A few drops and it is SO easy to see what you are doing

i used it, honestly, you get a better or same shave with a normal cheapo razor with 2 blades, these blades are just very sharp,
    And i dont think the M3 power does anything, the vibration just makes you think :rolleyes:

Ah well...each to their own - I'm happy with mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

As with any of those razors, it sounds very gimmicky. They may give a great shave the first couple of times, but that is it. No matter what razor you have, there is only so close to the skin that you can get and the 5 o'clock shadow hits us all. So these gimmicky razors are not much different than the disposable ones, except for the price and the marketing. I was using the Contour for some time and later the Sensor Excel, but I have reverted back to the old reliable disposable and there is no real difference. If you are careful you'll get just as good a shave with a disposable as you will with the fancy ones. The same can be said for creams, oils and gels too. There is not an awful lot difference. I got the sample of the Total Shaving Solution. I actually got 3, because the first one had leaked in the envelope so they sent me two more when I let them know. It works, but again there is not an awful lot of difference, so I'll probably stick with the Palmolive Shaving Cream that I use and the Gillette disposables and if I shave carefully, I'll get just as good a shave for a fraction of the price as you guys will with your fancy razors and lubricants.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Flukey wrote:
    The same can be said for creams, oils and gels too. There is not an awful lot difference.

I have to disagree there. I used to get terrible rashes when I used to use shaving gels and foams but since I started using Total Shaving Solution I never get a rash and can get away with shaving a day or two after without looking like an extra from a early Peter Jackson movie!

And don't get me started on Bloodmakers, sorry, cheap disposables. I suppose it's different for everybody but I can't use them at all, and what with it being "Blood for Life" week, if I was to use them I think it would be very irresponsible on my behalf!!! ;)

B.

There can be good and easy money to be made as an extra and with the bit of blood you could get into one of those gangster movies and maybe even get a few close-ups or a line of two. It could be the beginning of a great acting career. :)

As you said it is different for everyone. Some of us have more sensitive skins or maybe a point somewhere on the face where we can have problems and have to be extra careful around them so as not to open a gusher. You can cut yourself with any razor if you are not careful. There are differences among the lubricants and the razors, but my point is that they are not that huge and not as different as the marketing people would have us believe. Taking care is the most important thing in relation to how clean a shave is, no matter what you are using.

It's all well and good saving money for disposables/cheap creams if:

1) You have the time to make up for the difference. Yes I believe there is a difference.
    2) Your skin doesn't know the difference.
    3) Your cheap :)

I can see why you reckon they're gimicky - the price of brand name products is shocking...But the way I see it is why would you sting on something you use daily and is important. People often splash out on once off's but then be stingy regarding basic things. Always amazes me the twisted logic behind money justifications! That's my 2cents.

P.S. Yes Mach3s etc. are still a complete rip off.

think hes right about this razor, i prefer my other chepo one !
    but i disagree about the shaving oil, i used King of all shaves now with some gillette shaving gel, king of all shaves helps alot !!!!! no more nasty cuts, well a few.

• Advertisement

Only 2 cents worth Bri? Now who is being stingy! :) Any blade will cut you if you don't shave properly, no matter what lubricant you are using.

Advertisement