Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to shave?

Options
  • 28-08-2004 9:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭

just wondering what is the best way to shave? i.e with hot/cold water, before or after shower?

always end up getting spots in the same places from shaving, any thing i can do about this or is it just natural?

cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

The simple answer is: Carefully! :) Sound advice that.

Good hot water, not boiling, is an essential. If you have just had a bath or a shower that does help, but it is not necessary. A good shaving cream/gel. An expensive or fancy one is not necessary. There are lots of ones out there that will do the job just as well. Take your time. Too fast and you can do a bit of damage. A good blade. You don't have to change it too often. You can get a lot of shaves out of a blade. Like the creams and gels, it is not necessary to go for one of the big branded razors. You will often get just as good a shave from an ordinary disposable. Fancy handles, lubricant strips, swivel heads etc. are often just a lot of marketing and make very little difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

In the shower (we've got a non-fog mirror stuck to the glass). Against the grain, and put on just normal hand moisturiser on right after if you wanna reduce spots.

Well only shave against the grain after you have started with the grain. Starting with the grain reduces the amount of resistance you will encounter when you then shave against the grain. It is easier to get rid of the remaining hair if it has been shortened by shaving with the grain. So like a good battle, make your first assault from behind before tackling it head on to get rid of the final resistance which has by now been weakened! :)

A small drop of disinfectant in the water when you are shaving is useful too for any skin problems. Only a small drop though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

King of shaves (.com?) have an FAQ and tips. Sure they market their products but IMO they've earned the right. I always carry their shaving oil as it's about 1/8 the size and weight of normal stupid containers, lasts just as long and gives a better shave. At home I actually splash the oil on a damp face and give a sec. for the menthol to kick in. Then I put on whatever normal big can of gel I have at the time. Seems to do the trick - v. little cuts or burn afterwards. I have Nivea aftershave balm but half the time I find any ol' moisturiser will seal ya back up nicely too.

P.S. Obvious, but don't start around the chin - go for the easy strokes near your sideburns to 'get warmed up'.

Good luck!

Sh*te I meant WITH the grain, don't ever shave against the grain if you are worried bout ur skin

• Advertisement

You can shave against the grain, when you have the right conditions, hot water, a good blade, a lubricated face and having got some of the stubble away by shaving with the grain. To get a really smooth finish, you have to shave against the grain in the end. It can be done without doing any damage, if you are careful.

Yeah but if you are prone to any acne (especially around your sensitive neck area) it really is NOT a good idea to shave against the grain..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 975 ✭✭✭j0e9o

im pretty prone to ance so i usually just use the electric razor

My point is that if you go with the grain at first, you can shave against the grain a lot easier, so you won't do as much damage to your skin, even if you have acne. A good close shave is actually good for your skin. You just have to do it more carefully. If you have problems with your skin you can use some of the after shaving projects to further alleviate the problems. The other option is of course to grow a beard.

Flukey wrote:
    My point is that if you go with the grain at first, you can shave against the grain a lot easier, so you won't do as much damage to your skin, even if you have acne. A good close shave is actually good for your skin.

Erm... No! Just no.. Shaving over the same area twice is just a way to pure RAW skin? A good close shave may feel good to the touch but it is in no way better for your skin, what hat did you pull that out of? Tell me how..

Do you know what it's like to shave over acne? Doesn't matter how careful you are you are gonna do yourself damage.. Multiply that by three if you go against the grain..

Another thing (especially if you are prone to acne) if you shave so close you are basically shaving the top layer off your skin. Not only will your skin be raw but there are no oils there now and then your pores just go ballistic, and we know what that leads to..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭HacksawEddie

i agree with bri about the king of shaves oil. i've used it and its pretty good. i currently use king of saves k series gel. its in a tube...i wouldnt use foam anymore now that i've tried KOS, u get a better feel and its not as dry afterwards. i use a mach 3 also, but not entirely sure how much better it is than disposables, but i couldnt be bothered trying them.

Well it is easy to pick them up the next time you are going shopping for your Mach 3's. They would be on sale in the same area. You'd probably get a 10 pack of disposables for half the price you'll pay for a 5 pack of Mach 3's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭HacksawEddie

maybe, but i get 3 or 4 uses at least out of each mach3 blade.
    plus, i guess, if im happy with a product i just like sticking to it rather than risking a sh!te shave with something else. just a personal opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭yaledo

I would usually use a mach3 blade at least 20 times before ditching it. Its nice to have a new one, but it still works fine long after 3/4 uses.

I always had big problems with shaving causing a rash (lots of tinly little red dots of irritation, especially on the soft skin on my neck). I have found the solution to my problem. I am (very slightly) allergic to nickel. I know this cos I sometimes notice a spot/rash on my leg, when its raining and i've coins in my pockets. This was why electric razors didn't work for me, they generally had nickel in. Now I use a Mach 3, and it is no longer a problem, but try different products, and see what you are most comfortable with.

Apart from this, the most important rule is to be moisturized before you shave. To do this, have a shower first. Simple as that.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Shave after a shower so your pores are open. After shaving, splash cold water on your face to close the pores.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Hot water, total shaving solution, and Mach 3 Turbo (Can get about a week-10 days out of 1 blade). No nicks and a nice close shave.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

The reason why you are getting spots is because when you have a really close wet shave, i.e. using foam or gel or anything like that, some of the hairs on your face tend to get caught under the skin when they re-grow resulting in tiny spots.
    I used to get them a lot when I was younger, I don't get them as much any more. I think the reason being, that when I was younger I didn't shave as much as I do now, and everybody nows how close of a shave you get when you haven't shaved in a while, which therefore results in spots.
    If I haven't shaved in a week after a day or two I'd get a few little spots, but nothing too bad.
    There was a thread about this a while ago and somebobdy posted a link to Total Shave Solution where you could get a free sample to try.
    Since trying it, I haven't gone back to normal shaving foam/gel products because as I have quite sensitive skin I used to find sahving an absolut nightmare. Check it out and see what you think. It's really good for keeping irritation of the skin at bay.

B.

Kinda off topic, but can anybody tell me if Gillette are still producing the normal "Gillette Sensor" range. The only ones that I can seem to get are the "Sensor Excel" or "Mach 3".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

A few months ago, I changed from pre-shower to post-shower, and haven't looked back, would never shave at any other time apart from pre-shower these days, unless it was a major emergency. And after using Mach 3 for a few years, i'm back to using Gilette blue multi-pack with individual covers (rather than fancy docking bay). And NEVER leave your razor ANYWHERE in the bathroom. Or your toothbrush. :eek:

Bateman wrote:
    A few months ago, I changed from pre-shower to post-shower, and haven't looked back
    That would imply you now shave after you shower.
    Bateman wrote:
    I would never shave at any other time apart from pre-shower these days, unless it was a major emergency.
    That would imply you now shave before you shower.

Which is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

well i shave with grain and then against the grain, apparently with against the grain you are ment to get ingrown hair or some****e, but i cant get a close one without going against the grain. But i usually just go against the grain above lip, i usually go with grain on cheek and then maybe a bit sideways once.

I HATE SHAVING. seriously, what a load of bollox :)

also i get closer shave with ordinary razors rather than the mach3 and mach3 cuts are focking lethal, sometimes leaveing you with addidas logo cuts !

• Advertisement

I asked this seperately on the board but go no reply - has anyone bought a Gillete M3Power razor that uses a AAA battery to pull out your hair (!) to shave better. It's about 16eu in Boots. I would just buy the thing but I reckon it's no different and I could get about 2 Mach3 Blades for that price if I'm lucky instead. :D
    BaZmO* wrote:
    Kinda off topic, but can anybody tell me if Gillette are still producing the normal "Gillette Sensor" range. The only ones that I can seem to get are the "Sensor Excel" or "Mach 3".

Dunno why I bothered looking this up but I knew I saw it recently:
    http://www.gillette.com/products/grooming_men.asp
    about half way down shows the full range and they don't say the Sensor is stopped...although they do say
    The Sensor system has won many awards (for product innovation, design, advertising excellence) and has been accepted into several museum collections.
    Hahaha! A must see for any tourist I'm sure.

Pull out your hair ? are you joking me ?
    ouch*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Placebo wrote:
    Pull out your hair ? are you joking me ?
    ouch*

haha, its doesnt pull your hair out. apperantly vibrations help lift the hair up on your face, giving you a closer and better shave.

Yet to be confirmed though.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭Jaeger

Rather than starting a whole new thread, can anyone give me a definite answer on which is better; regular shaving foam (can), regular foam (tube eg, palmolive), and I've heard of some people using oils...need more info on that one.

Apparently getting used to shaving without being able to see where you've already shaved is difficult because there's no foam.

I have a Mach3 and never enough time to shave "properly". Against the grain? Wossat? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭jongore

Having used all 3, I can reccomend using oil (Total Shaving Soulution is what I use), no nicks and easy to use as you can see the hair your shaving.

With the grain means shaving in the direction the hair is growing, aginst the grain is vice-versa.

is oil better than gel ? i use gilletes shaving gel. where can i get oil ? closer shave?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

There's always a few tips that are good to keep

- After showering; your beard will have softened after the hot water and steam
    - Always shave with the grain... it will stop you from cutting yourself or getting spots
    - Try using a shaving lotion instead of cream or gel. They come in tiny bottles for a fiver, but they last about 50 shaves!
    - Always use a fresh blade
    - The best type has at least 2 blades, a rotating head and a moisturising strip (in order of importance)
    - Use an exfoliator (and wash afterwards) once a week. This gets rid of dead skin and brings the blade closer to the roots

Hope this helps!

wtf is an exfoliator ? shaving lotion again....hmmm, ive never heard or seen any of thoese.
    thanks.

• Advertisement

As said earlier shaving oil is quality. You don't need foam to tell you where you've been because it's obvious and oil lets you see what your DOING. It's also better as the menthol etc. gets your face ready for shaving if left for a minute. It's smaller too. Kingofshaves (.com I guess) has free sample and lots of info. That's who I use but I've had other randoms that all work well.

Only problem I have with oil is it's messy so I've no option but to carry it around inside a small plastic bag in my washbag.

Advertisement