Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU Computer Applications!! Any1 doing it?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

my name is ROb and im going into first year of dc121.

also going is "Winters", aka 'graham'.

see ye there.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

banquo wrote:
    also going is "Winters"

Going again is the word your looking for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Get editing Saranus!

Cool, looks like there will be a good droup of us there, looking forward to it now , got my definite acceptance letter from CAO today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

Get editing Saranus!

Cool, looks like there will be a good droup of us there, looking forward to it now , got my definite acceptance letter from CAO today

For some reason I cannot edit any of my posts on this thread, so im just gonna put the list online: http://homepage.eircom.net/~sarunas/dc121_list so bookmark it!

Yeah I got a notification from cao yesterday that i accepted the course.

Ye, usually after a certain amount of time your not allowed to edit your posts any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

So when we find out when DCU accept us into dc121? Another 6 weeks off or something crazy like that! Its great, im never leaving college....better wait till i get in before i jinx myself by saying that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

DCU lectures, Computing school anyway, are back on the 27th of September so expect orientation to be around the 15th to the 20th. Then you get a week long tour which isnt particularly useful but no harm.

Plus the orientation ball. A good way to meet other first years.

Ill be away until at the end of september till early october but again, anyone needs a hand or some info gimme a shout and ill try to help.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Sarunas wrote:
    For some reason I cannot edit any of my posts on this thread, so im just gonna put the list online: http://homepage.eircom.net/~sarunas/dc121_list so bookmark it!

You can change me to "repeating" aswell .. for I shall not need to attend many of the lectures.

I do reccomend you bring a pillow to Maths lectures though, and do go to the maths tutorials or your screwed. Also on behalf of Moduls, take "Topics in Computing" for the first semester. Its a hour and a half [usually] on a friday morning but its a very simple exam and a gurantee pass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

Winters wrote:
    You can change me to "repeating" aswell .. for I shall not need to attend many of the lectures.

I do reccomend you bring a pillow to Maths lectures though, and do go to the maths tutorials or your screwed. Also on behalf of Moduls, take "Topics in Computing" for the first semester. Its a hour and a half [usually] on a friday morning but its a very simple exam and a gurantee pass.

If you did honours maths I'd recommend not going to the Maths lectures at all, the exam is easy by Leaving Cert standards but the lectures really beat all knowledge out of you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

can we get another list of dc121 attendants?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

for any of you that use quakenet, #dcu might interest you. bit dead during the summer though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Trebor

anyone looking for accomodation, i have an ensuite room suitable for one person available 10 min walk from DCU, if interested send me a pm and i will send you the details.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭the butcher

hey im kev, i'll be joining this family :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

Trebor wrote:
    anyone looking for accomodation, i have an ensuite room suitable for one person available 10 min walk from DCU, if interested send me a pm and i will send you the details.

yea lads i have a single room available in a 4 bed gaff with me and 2 other dcu lads for €75 a week, 10 mins walk from dcu, and on the 19a bus route. one other lad dropped out so there is 1 room available

Could someone tell me what RedBrick in DCU is all about? Like what happens when u join? What events go on etc

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Suaimhneach

Afaik, there is loads of comp facilities etc, it should be in the thingy they send out to you in the post.

More than one girl :D Im looking forward to gettin our time table tomorrow, to see how early ive to get up out of bed:(

CA1 Timetable:
    http://www.dcu.ie/timetables/feed.php3?prog=CA&per=1&week1=1&week2=12&hour=1-20&template=student

Subject to change but that should be mostly correct. Remember a lot of those subjects are options so you wont be doing all of them.

If you wanna know what redbrick is about go to www.redbrick.dcu.ie, think of it as a bit of an online community(boards, chats, instant messaging), very techie and they run a lot of tutorials on networking things(but you dont have to be into that side, I know nothing about Linux or most of the technical stuff they do but I still get a lot out of the society), they also run a fair few events throughout the year, if your in CA you should definitely join. Its worth your 4 euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

More than one girl :D Im looking forward to gettin our time table tomorrow, to see how early ive to get up out of bed:(

Thats true, there were few nice girls in there. And how many people are in the course? Looked alot to me when we were all together in the nursing building....

Have to get up early tomorrow (something like 6:30).... sleep...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Howdo

What is the point of doing CA. Loads of Development is going to India.

• Advertisement

Please leave this thread FOREVER howdo :D

You sure the timetable is the same every year? I saw that one before but I was under the impression that it would changed.

Ye despite the ratio beinging like 1 girl to every 10 guys if not worse! im actually surprised by the amount of girls! (is that sexist, or just being real!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Howdo

Please leave this thread FOREVER howdo :D

Stick you head in the sand then

Im not sticking my head in the sand, your being stupid about it!

There is more business over in america, does that mean that you should not do business if your not living over there? Just because some companies choose to move to another cheaper location does not mean that ALL will and we will be useless! This is a highly universal degree and we can easily follow the market ( if we want to )

Just because some of the industry is moving does not been that we should not bother doing CA! that is possible the stupidiest thing I have heard in a while.

Im not sticking my head in the sand your just thinking like a fool ;)

It seems like about 10-15 girls wud be my guess which is good i suppose for CA. Im not worried about getting a job after the degree for basically the same reason smellyirishman explained + id have no problem traveling to GB or even USA for a few years, as it is a internationally recognised degree :D

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Ferror

Sigh.. Yet another CA student here, i'm Colm btw :p

Welcome to the clic colm!

Anyone here doing the physics module? cause I saw that on the timetable there is a physics practical friday afternoon but there is also CA165 Tutorial!

Or am I just reading it wrong? and when do we find out whos tutorial we are in for CA165 and a tuesday? I saw some sort of list thing on the site but it isnt made up yet :s

If you do physics then you won't be in that tutorial group for CA165 you'll be in one at a different time. Physics is dead easy if you did it for the leaving cert by the way, just hideously boring.

Got a B2 in the LC so :D

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Jiggy

Im doing C.A !
    Finally woop

Ill be easily recognized by glasses and my mop hair and maybe a humorous t-shirt :D

Just wondering if the old Macbook i use is fine for the course ?
    Its nothing fancy and a basic enough model (cause I had to pay)

Its uses Version 10.4.11 Mac OS X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Jiggy wrote: »
    Im doing C.A !
    Finally woop

Ill be easily recognized by glasses and my mop hair and maybe a humorous t-shirt :D

Just wondering if the old Macbook i use is fine for the course ?
    Its nothing fancy and a basic enough model (cause I had to pay)

Its uses Version 10.4.11 Mac OS X

You ll be using the pc's in there most of the times and eww Mac prepare for abuse come September from the elitists :p But yeah it'll do ill end up getting myself a cheap netbook for assignments and stuff.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement