Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCU Computer Applications!! Any1 doing it?

Options
  • 17-08-2004 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone else out there has applied for this course? And are you worried about getting the points?
    Im more worried about gettin my 2 C3's...god wat if i dont get them!!
    And who invented that **** phrase 'what if', they should be shot cause its waking me up at night!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

OMG

im doing that course (well hopefully) what a coinsidence!

Gonna be rocking it up nerd style in DCU

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

Two of my friends are hoping to do that course, but one of them is unlikely to get the points.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭phreak

what are the points this year? if you cant even scrape the 300 god help you.

also, if you did ordinary maths for the leaving cert you're probably screwed.

Dont need higher, and the points wont be known for a few days after the results.

Should be 300 though as the 300 places werent filled last year, and prolly wont be again this year

P.S did you do CA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭adjodlo

150 you mean. the 150 weren't filled. Even after that a load of people had left within weeks. CA = evil.

• Advertisement

sorry 150, was getting points and places mixed.

Ye first year is ment to be TOUGH.

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

AFAIK they actually lowered the number of available places last year just ot keep the points above 300.

It's on my CAO list too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

mee too.... i can see us all together in a big room in the future..... called the bar!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭Sarunas

yeap, i *should* be on the course (note the "should)". ahh better go get readdy to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Ye first year is ment to be TOUGH

I just finished first year CA, it's fine if u into computers. lot of people take it just coz it's low points even though they never used a comp before, they generally struggle. If u like computers and make a *bit* of an effort u'll b ok

• Advertisement

Yes Im On My Way!!! :d

Me too my the looks of it :D

Any one know/expect what the points will be this year? Lower than 300 or will they keep it the same?

I should be in there too, as i got 395.
    See you guys there.... CuLT, Smellyirishman and others....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Phreak wrote:
    what are the points this year? if you cant even scrape the 300 god help you.

also, if you did ordinary maths for the leaving cert you're probably screwed.

True. If you did ordinary maths for the leaving you WILL find a course like this tough.

eth0_ wrote:
    True. If you did ordinary maths for the leaving you WILL find a course like this tough.

It depends on the individual. I did pass maths, and got A2, but i expected A1, for junior cert i got A aswell. I always wanted to do higher maths, but i was in a pass maths class, so i ended up doing pass maths.

I like maths, and fine it simple and interesting. Im also a bit of a computer freak(*nix, BSD especialy)so i like comp alot.

Most of the comp people are good at maths, i mean good. They enjoy it.

If you hate maths, you may find the course hard. but if you like maths, and enjoy it. and have some time to spend/play around on it. you will be fine.

I wonder who 11% of whatever students did pass maths failed? where they completely thick? (no offence for anyone who failed maths in here).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

eth0_ wrote:

Well they do split the class into 2 maths classes. Those who did honours and those who didn't.

But the pass maths teacher's not supposed to be the greatest. :rolleyes:

First year's not terribly bad. Second year's worse. Lotta people think it's a doss course but it's not as easy as it seems. Very practical oriented (good thing). Going into 4th year of it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Repli

eth0_ wrote:
    Thats bull. Most of the maths they teach in comp science is nothing like leaving cert. (Graph theory, logic, number systems, relations, modelling software, etc) I sure dont remember learning any of that stuff in the leaving cert. Thats the way it was in my course anyway. Actually out of the 7 subjects in 1st year and the 11 subjects in 2nd year I did, I found maths among the easiest of the lot.

Is it possible to be in the part of the class that did higher maths? Say like an exception? im getting tired of having a sticker put on my head saying "ordinary mathematics". Its like all with pass maths are put into a looser,lamers and idiots corner...

Thanks Repli, I was starting to get a little worried. I'm good at Ord level maths, and I probably should have been moved to higher level after the JC but wasn't.

Talking to professors last year I was under the definite perception that the course requirements pretty much work for making sure people who CAN do it DO it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Well after all that worrying....Im off to DCU to do Computer Applications!!! I hope i enjoy the cousre. I love computers and enjoy maths(when i pay attention to to wats going on because my mind always drifts off to this day! the day of my results!) Rock on all you prospect DCU Comp.App students. the next four years will be great

• Advertisement

Who else is doing/want to do DC121 (Computer Applications, DCU) ?

So far on this list are:

o Me
    o BlackWizard
    o CuLT
    o Smellyirishman
    o VinnyL
    o napalm@night
    (i might have skipped some one)

Right guys, how are we gonna know who is who? I can be easilly spotted, just look for a skinny guy who is 6' 3"...

[Edit: add napalm@night to the list]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

Join Redbrick, the DCU networking society. It's like almost mandatory if you are in CA. Very active soc, and probably the largest in the college.

Yeah i know of redbrick. Cant remember how much doest it coast to join, but i think its a few euros :). Can also remember that redbrick's choice of OS is debian, which im pretty happy with (i actualy newer used debian properly, just install it play around for few minutes, let it cool with other *nix OSes). As long as i don't have to use Red Hat 9 (which was installed dual boot with win 2000 service pack 4 on lab computers, i was told that before that they had solaris). On the second thought, its still better than using windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭napalm@night

add me2 the list hopefully c uz all there.....

Join Redbrick, the DCU networking society. It's like almost mandatory if you are in CA. Very active soc, and probably the largest in the college.

and you get a cool t-shirt. :rolleyes:

very nerdy society from what i see... like TOO nerdy!

aye, twill be good craic next year, it was for me last year, i just changed course from CES to CA this year.

anyone gonna be living up in dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

Im in Halengers class, who posted here already. That is, we are both going into fourth year CA. Dont worry about first year maths, that "you need to do higher" crap is just that, crap.

The maths is grand enough, very simple set theory, probability and that kind of thing. The lectures are boring as hell so it seems tough from the but the exams are easy peasy. If anyone is interested, send me a PM and I can dig out some electronic copies of old first year maths papers you can look at.

The course is really good crack if a tad boring at times. Some of the subjects are a little pointless aswell, but if you choose wisely, you will really enjoy the degree.

Join redbrick so that you can randomly message people if for no other reason, oh and play the mud, if it returns of course.

All in All, CA is good crack, anyone with any more specific questions or requests, PM me and Ill be happy to help out.

Draupnir wrote:
    Im in Halengers class, who posted here already. That is, we are both going into fourth year CA. Dont worry about first year maths, that "you need to do higher" crap is just that, crap.

The maths is grand enough, very simple set theory, probability and that kind of thing. The lectures are boring as hell so it seems tough from the but the exams are easy peasy. If anyone is interested, send me a PM and I can dig out some electronic copies of old first year maths papers you can look at.

The course is really good crack if a tad boring at times. Some of the subjects are a little pointless aswell, but if you choose wisely, you will really enjoy the degree.

Join redbrick so that you can randomly message people if for no other reason, oh and play the mud, if it returns of course.

All in All, CA is good crack, anyone with any more specific questions or requests, PM me and Ill be happy to help out.

draupnier, u sound like a REAL sound chap!! PM sent.

BTW for anyone else, What module you doing in first year, Businness/science or language?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭mise_me_fein

CA is cráp if you ask me. I hate DCU, there's no life in the college. Some of the women are good looking ok, but the whole atmosphere in the place is cráp. CA is not a hard course if you make friends with the right ppl.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

yeah the social aspect is a bit dull but the same can be said for any college in the country. make a few friends and your laughing.

tip of the week:

make friends with someone who lives on res.

tip 2 of the week:

make friends with some women if you can, they are an invaluable resource.

• Advertisement

ah its what you make of it really!

i'd a fookin blast last year!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement