Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scariest opponent?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Will he be in doom 3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

damn sure he will!

Cant wait to see him working under the doom 3 engine :eek: he should be massive like 20 foot tall or something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I also have a soft spot for those big green beaky tentacle things from Half-Life that tracked you by sound. The buildup to the first one was rather good, with the tippy tappy tap on the other side of the wall giving you that "What the sweet merciful crap is doing that!?" feeling...

And for some reason I always found Ganondorf from Ocarina Of Time rather impressive, if horribly easy to beat...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

bizmark wrote:
    he should be massive like 20 foot tall or something
    If he isnt there will be an uproar :)

• Advertisement

I hope they don’t do a spider mastermind on him I.E make him big and impressive but very easy to defeat...I still remember a level in doom where the map contained noting but 6 doors one of which led to a room filled with maybe 20 hell knights and 1 cyber demon Christ that was a scary room you could even get the cyber demon out of the room following you around some times :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

God now I remember the Hybrids from System Shocks 2...repressed memories I tells ya! Scary as fudge! :eek:
    Also it may be a bit stupid, but the Hellbabies from Splatterhouse 2 on the MegaDrive scared the crap outta me with the hanging from ropes and the skinlessness, not to mention the puking and only having a bloody chainsaw ta kill them with! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭i_am_dogboy

I rememer the scorpion woman in Exhumed scaring the crap on the playstation, though it wasn't quite as well executed on the PC....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

The cradle in Thief III, when you are walking around with those noises!!! me and my sister were terrified and when they stop.... :p ( and the girl appearing wasn't good for my nerves since the volume was BLASTING; after the noises stopped it was so quiet so I turned it up....:rolleyes: ) I didn't kill a single Zombie in the cradle cause they never stayed dead :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Cuz it brings back horrible memories! :o Damn those ****ers were scary! What freaked me out more was walking around buildings and hearing the blade scrape the floor, but you never knew whether he was on the same floor as you or above or below! Left me creeping slowly around with the light off just in case! :o Hehe, also the first cutscene where you see him is awesome! :D

Yeah when it looks like pyramid head is shagging one of the leg monster things...that was sooo freaky. Pyramid head rocked...tho i still think silent hill 1 was scarier. I remember after the nightmare school section, when i beat it, and after the vboss when the school finally turned back to (foggy) daytime, i was actually relieved, cause it was so god damn scary wandering around it int he dark
    :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I remember exhumed on the Playstation, fecking class altogether, but there were these kinda cougar type women that really put the ****s up me. Problem was, they were invisible untill they attacked you, and then you just hear them snarling at you, and clawing your face off! Argh, nasty altogether.

Just about anything in Clive Barker's Undying truly put the ****s up me something horrid!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Chozo Ghosts in Metroid Prime.

The music and looking at them through the visor scared the crap out of me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

I still think the spiders from the original resident evil.... the thing that really freaked me out was the way the camera angles were done, purposely so you didn't see them, the music would change then all of a sudden it'd land on top of ya, there was also the bit where the zombie dogs would jump through the windows at you.... it was the only game ever that made me actually drop the controller with shock. I think the ghosts in project zero are worth a mention, i don't know what it is but the Japanese have a talent for scaring the crap outta me! (not the people :) ) the aliens in AvP2 were good too, just because they were so damned hard to hit! it really felt like you were in Aliens the movie cause ye just started firing wildly, hehehe, deadly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Cant wait to see him working under the doom 3 engine he should be massive like 20 foot tall or something

Hopefully if ID do it right they will build him up and then scare the crap out of you when you see him. Could be another tomb raider t-rex moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Yah gwan cyberdemon but RTCW SUper dudes, i never knew the soldier could run that fast backwards whilst firing every weapon you had at them.

kdjac

I remember exhumed on the Playstation, fecking class altogether, but there were these kinda cougar type women that really put the ****s up me. Problem was, they were invisible untill they attacked you, and then you just hear them snarling at you, and clawing your face off! Argh, nasty altogether.
    Ah yes I remember them now...they were pretty damn scary, especially earlier on when all you had were the first 2 guns....that games had a fair few scary enemies actually. The lava levels had me terrified, you remember the big lava thingies that spat fireballs? That game rocked...."get your stinking paws of me ya damn dirty ape"-anyone who played right till the end will get that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

An oldie but a goodie ...... 'Shogun Kunitoki' from Last Ninja 2.

At the very end of the game you come up against this guy after stealing a precious orb from his safe.

He's immortal and you have no chance of killing him in a straight fight. The only way to defeat him was to knock him down in an exact spot in the room and then trap his spirit by means of a activating a special pentangle that was marked out on the floor.

This was never going to be easy because Kunitoki was faster, stronger and more resiliant that your ninja and for another even if you were lucky enough to take him down you still had to make sure you did it in the right spot AND dash round like a madman lighting those candles in order to trap him! With the finiky control system for the game this always lead to a bout of nerves.

The magnificent Matt Gray score (a rip-off of a tune by Tangerine Dream if I recall?) just added to the dramatic tension of the showdown.

Games have undoubtedly come on a long way since LN2 but nothing has ever given me the shudders (& the feeling of tension) the way the idea of squaring up to Kunitoki did.

http://lastninja.lemon64.com/wt2-7.htm

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Sarky wrote:
    I also have a soft spot for those big green beaky tentacle things from Half-Life that tracked you by sound. The buildup to the first one was rather good, with the tippy tappy tap on the other side of the wall giving you that "What the sweet merciful crap is doing that!?" feeling...
    Yep, those things were fcking scary.

Underwater creatures in FPS games scare the crap out of me too... Half Life, Klingon HG, Serious Sam. They put me right off playing.

kaids wrote:
    Yep, those things were fcking scary.

Underwater creatures in FPS games scare the crap out of me too... Half Life, Klingon HG, Serious Sam. They put me right off playing.

Remember the first time you see that giant shark thing in Half-life, where a poor grunt gets tossed out of the water and swallowed when he falls back in? First I said "Whoah, cool!", then I said "Wait, I have to swim through there, don't I? Ah, piss..."

And there was something I loved about Mephistophiles in Hordes Of The Underdark. He was sodding huge, for a start, and he had just the right amount of arrogance and well spoken, cultured evil bastardness about him. That and the way he made people explode when he looked at them...

And of course, Vix'thra the dracolich was even bigger...

Of course, not much matches the feeling you get the first time an ogre jumps out in front of you in Quake...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

The cradle in Thief III, when you are walking around with those noises!!! me and my sister were terrified and when they stop.... :p ( and the girl appearing wasn't good for my nerves since the volume was BLASTING; after the noises stopped it was so quiet so I turned it up....:rolleyes: ) I didn't kill a single Zombie in the cradle cause they never stayed dead :mad:

The tapping in the attic :eek:
    The puppets were annoying to kill, but they go down after extensive 'therapy'. The lights still flicker though :(
    I'll also second the bloody window smashing dogs in the first Res Evil. Gits

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

One of my many scary enemies would have to be the Aliens in AVP2 in the first level of the Marine,man i sat well back from the monitor that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Pigman II wrote:
    An oldie but a goodie ...... 'Shogun Kunitoki' from Last Ninja 2.

At the very end of the game you come up against this guy after stealing a precious orb from his safe.

He's immortal and you have no chance of killing him in a straight fight. The only way to defeat him was to knock him down in an exact spot in the room and then trap his spirit by means of a activating a special pentangle that was marked out on the floor.

This was never going to be easy because Kunitoki was faster, stronger and more resiliant that your ninja and for another even if you were lucky enough to take him down you still had to make sure you did it in the right spot AND dash round like a madman lighting those candles in order to trap him! With the finiky control system for the game this always lead to a bout of nerves.

The magnificent Matt Gray score (a rip-off of a tune by Tangerine Dream if I recall?) just added to the dramatic tension of the showdown.

Games have undoubtedly come on a long way since LN2 but nothing has ever given me the shudders (& the feeling of tension) the way the idea of squaring up to Kunitoki did.

http://lastninja.lemon64.com/wt2-7.htm

Pigman, i salute you.
    Last ninja 2 was undoubtedly one of my favourite 16 bit games, an absolute classic that should rightly have its place up there with the other greats of the heady days of the amiga/atari etc. :) Tho look ing at those screenshots made me glad i played the atari st version which was a million times better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Was Exhumed not a Sega Saturn game and then moved over to the PS? I can remember it on the saturn though and it was excellent fun to play through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Well it was also on the PC, so definetly a multi-format jobbie.

Though I did play it on the Playstation, so my point still stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

I think the Monkeys in Far Cry where pretty scary at first, but they where nothing after you seen them. It was when you could hear them but not see them.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

My original has got to be the T-Rex in 3D Monster Maze. Lo-res terror!
    After that, the zombie knife guys in RTCW...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The dreaded T from nethack.

Retr0gamer wrote:
    The dreaded T from nethack.

http://www.adom.de/adom/gallery/adom.jpg

:)

Pugsley wrote:
    Was Exhumed not a Sega Saturn game and then moved over to the PS? I can remember it on the saturn though and it was excellent fun to play through.
    It was on the PC first, then it was meant to be ported onto the saturn, but instead they changed the game completely and kept the story, then they were meant to port that version to the playstation, but then they changed the game again and kept the story.....I thought the PS version was the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Gandorf

- System shock 2... you're finally going to meet the nice woman who's been guiding you through the ship... you enter her office and see her at her desk, then as you get closer you see that's she's dead, and the walls turn into Shodans face and ..... oh god I was so scared I still block it out :eek:
    - Thief I: Getting the eye from the cursed cathedral. After making your way through the zombie-infested old quarter you finally get to the cathdral and steal a look in the window, and the f"£$%ing eye starts talking to you in the creepiest voice ever! "Comes a man to rescue me......" totally freaked me out as I had the volume way up to hear all the footsteps etc.
    - Project Zero (Fatal Frame) on the xbox. Er the whole game actually scares the living beejaysus out of me. All of it. Every single thing.
    - Wolfenstein 3D - Adolf Hitler in a battle suit!
    - Doom - imps in the flickery light place... damn short controlled bursts, panic shooting is the way to go!

Advertisement