Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scariest opponent?

Options
  • 30-07-2004 11:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭

Not a gamer; what's the scariest, umm, monster or bad guy, in any game ever made, please, and what does it/he/she do? Not looking for joke answers, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Aliens Vs Predator 2, the predator is built up for half the game before you ever fight him. The atmosphere is insanely tense and the first battle doesn't dissapoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Diablo, in the first game.
    Sadly when you get to him, he's easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭ykt0di9url7bc3

Doom 1
    cyberdemon.jpg
    So its big.... I nearly **** my pants when it started firing rockets at me

Super Metroid's Mother Brain
    boss_embed003.jpg
    not scary to look at but the fight was/is classic gaming moment

MK 1
    mk1goro.gif
    creamed all but the best players...(or until you found Jump + Kick repeat)
    Kintaro made me cry

Serious Sam: The First Encounter
    boss_embed008.jpg
    Biggest boss i have ever seen and there's no health bar....

Above all - Eyedol from KI
    two-headed Cyclops Eyedol. The normal fights as you worked your way up the tournament tree got progressively harder (with the last couple being particularly difficult) but nothing could prepare you for Eyedol. He was huge in the arcade original (in the Super Nintendo port his size and difficulty were reduced considerably), extremely fast, and possessed some devastating moves and huge combos. Attempting a combo on him wasn't a good idea as he loved to use his combo breaker, and throwing a projectile was equally not a good idea as he could reflect it back at you or overpower it with his own. He could jump the full length of the screen in a single bound, knock you sky high and to add to the pain, he could regain his lost health (usually when you were flying through the air and not able to do anything about it). To have any chance of beating him you really needed to concentrate on strong single hits, but know when to back off. He didn't fall into any predictable attack patterns either so it wasn't as easy as it sounded. I stress again that he was dumbed down considerably in the SNES port…anyone who played him in the arcade original would know that he was one tough bastard

I only beat him a few times... scary to a point, annoying and frustrating afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,366 ✭✭✭luckat

Kevok wrote:
    Aliens Vs Predator 2, the predator is built up for half the game before you ever fight him. The atmosphere is insanely tense and the first battle doesn't dissapoint.

And in Aliens vs Predator 2, what's the baddie called, please?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

AvP1 - When playing as a marine the aliens scare the **** out of you

Doom 3 looks like its gonna have some of the scariest opponents. I can't wait :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Id have to agree with the Cyberdemon, infact, most monsters in Doom were brown trouser inducing beasts.

Pink demon: The sudden snarl would make u jump

Invisible demon: Same but funking invisible and usually in dark places. :/

Baron of Hell: The scream these guys let out when u opened a door right on their face, christ, I shot a chocolate load.

Imp: Not too bad in bright open spaces but in that place with the strobe light and crates.... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

I think that the spider baby and the wall runner from doom3 look nice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭Deadwing

Spiderbaby looks awesome..is got he body of a spider, but the mind of a baby!
    As for scary bosses..why the hell hasnt anyone mentioned pyramid head from silent hill 2??
    I have to say i thought the fatboys in far cry were a little scary..when you knew one was coming, when you heard that voice, youd just think.."ohhhh bollocks"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭the_obsolete

Ya i was about to say Pyramid Head too, scared the living crap outta me! Also one hit and you're fudged. Also the little kids with blades in the first one really creeped me out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Resident Evil 2 on PS1...ur walking along this coridor and the music changes next thing from nowhere one of those lciking monsters jumps from the ceiling and starts kicki da sh*t out of ya! scared da bejesus out of me! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Silent hill two....the monster that is a pair of legs on top of a pair of legs..disturbing.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Resident Evil 2 on PS1...ur walking along this coridor and the music changes next thing from nowhere one of those lciking monsters jumps from the ceiling and starts kicki da sh*t out of ya! scared da bejesus out of me! :D
    Yeah your walkin down the corridor in the police station, and then something passes by the window, you think oh it must have been nothing, then hanging from the ceiling around the next corner is the Licker, the scariest s.o.b in gaming history, well! when you about 9 years old.
    Richy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

-oRnein9- wrote:
    Yeah your walkin down the corridor in the police station, and then something passes by the window, you think oh it must have been nothing, then hanging from the ceiling around the next corner is the Licker, the scariest s.o.b in gaming history, well! when you about 9 years old.
    Richy

Yeah thats the one! cant remember wat age I was when playin but my bro was sitting beside me and it scared sa sh*t out of him as well! loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Cyber demon was the first I thought of, first thing that popped into my head at all really. But some other meanies worth mentioning are:
    Revenants (Doom2)
    End game boss/big bull thing (serious sam 2)
    The insane orphans (thief3)
    Shambler (quake)
    Tank (quake2)
    The Dark Dragon (Shining Force) - hey dont look at me like that, he was kinda spooky in his own pixly way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

System Shock 2's Shodan, anybody?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭Kazu

Resident Evil 1 on PS1. when the crows bust in through the windows and peck me to dead :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I HATE those ****ers in Half-Life ... the barnacles- usually they hang out of ceilings in dark places and you walk into what looks like a cable or something and it sucks you up to the ceiling and skullfúcks you (or something similar anyway).

barnacle.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

Cyberdemos and the spider master mind the second guy was easy enough to beat but scary all the same

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭bus77

I remember the Nazi super soldiers in RTCW put the ****s up me when I first saw them, especialy when they started jumping 20 odd feet across rooms to get me :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Waltons

The puppets in the cradle in Thief: DS were quite creepy. And bloody hard to kill. Especially the git who's lying on the ground in wait for you :mad:
    Piggsy in Manhunt was quite odd. I think he was a bit scary, although the effect was ruined somewhat by not knowing why the hell he was there in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

bus77 wrote:
    I remember the Nazi super soldiers in RTCW put the ****s up me when I first saw them, especialy when they started jumping 20 odd feet across rooms to get me :D

Aye... me too! The original Doom series generally scared the bejesus outta me. Can't wait for Doom 3. I played the beta/alpha?! whatever it was, and even that had me cursing out loud and shaking with fear. Fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

The Tyrant from Resident Evil 2, the big bald sone of a bitch in the long coat now that was scary. The thing is he didn't look threatening and didn't kill you in the usual monster manner i.e. eat you rather it just beats you to death with its huge fists. It was just the suddenness of his appearance that got the nerves going.

Also the Nemesis from Resident Evil 3, same thing as Mr.X above except with a rocket launcher. Meant it didn't have to get close to kill you.

For me the worst were the facehuggers in Alien vs Predator. Considering most of the game was in near total darkness it was very hard to detect them, and then there was the whole one-hit-kill thing about them which made things even worse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,122 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

One of the bosses in super metroid (tman knows which one i'm talking about)

The pyramid head thing in Silent Hill 2 creeped me out.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭BluE-WinG

Cyber Demon in Doom II

But worse than that!

The Butcher - in Diablo I ! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Deadwing wrote:
    As for scary bosses..why the hell hasnt anyone mentioned pyramid head from silent hill 2??

Cuz it brings back horrible memories! :o Damn those ****ers were scary! What freaked me out more was walking around buildings and hearing the blade scrape the floor, but you never knew whether he was on the same floor as you or above or below! Left me creeping slowly around with the light off just in case! :o Hehe, also the first cutscene where you see him is awesome! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Stormfox1020

At the start of Pokemon Yellow, when you had to fight that wild pikachu. I couldnt sleep for weeks. /me shudders just thinging about it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

The big mofo in the battle suit thing about halfway through the original Wolfie who shouts "I'M COMING FOR YOU!". Brown trouser time.

wolfenstein.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Soulblighter.

25pre1.GIF

One of the most impressive, evil, badass, cunning, hideous machines of destruction ever devised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭orangerooster

It'd have to be Cyberdemon from Doom or Shodan and the hybrids in System Shock two-the hybrids were real scary-their bizarre mumbling and speaking-had one sneak up on me once before shouting "KILL MEEEE!!!!!" and off-loading his shoutgun into my face-I think I woke up the house after that one!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Retr0gamer wrote:
    One of the bosses in super metroid (tman knows which one i'm talking about)
    *squit*

the manequin-nurses in silent hill 3 seriously freak me out for some reason... especially upon entering a neew room only to have one of them approaching from each side.

and of course, the daddy of all; Doom's cyberdemon.
    the constant mechanical clomping sounds, broken up by the *whomp* of his rpg. and oh my ****ing god, the high res sprite!!! why couldn't every doom baddie look that good.

Advertisement