Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

lafors wrote: »
    but after leaving I have a sour taste in my mouth

yep, i know that feeling.
    Still, to cheer yourself up, look @ carzone or go into a dealers and have a laugh at their asking prices for your make/model - that'll cheer you up!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

yep, i know that feeling.
    Still, to cheer yourself up, look @ carzone or go into a dealers and have a laugh at their asking prices for your make/model - that'll cheer you up!:D

EXACTLY :D

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

If they send off to Wexford to check for extras on an Audi 05 which was registered in June of that year, do you get a cover letter to drive it until the paperwork comes back?

Or do you have to wait for that comes back first???

Getting it Sunday and so want to know these things.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

If they send off to Wexford to check for extras on an Audi 05 which was registered in June of that year, do you get a cover letter to drive it until the paperwork comes back?

Or do you have to wait for that comes back first???

Getting it Sunday and so want to know these things.

yep, they will give you a stamped letter saying you have applied and the letter covers you for a period of time. Usually 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 ORANGETM

We moved over to Ireland in early Dec 2008, brought both of our cars with us, a im on probation with my contact of 12 months and I have a PPS number my wife does not, as she does not need to work.
    My car has just died and im hoping it will be a right off, with this insurance claim i would be going back to the UK to get another car, would i have to pay VRT on the car i was to get considering it was an insurance replacement ? or could we go back and buy a car in the UK register it in my wifes name, at our UK address, insure it in UK, then 6 months later register it here and pay no VRT ?
    Is this possible ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

ORANGETM wrote: »
    We moved over to Ireland in early Dec 2008, brought both of our cars with us, a im on probation with my contact of 12 months and I have a PPS number my wife does not, as she does not need to work.
    My car has just died and im hoping it will be a right off, with this insurance claim i would be going back to the UK to get another car, would i have to pay VRT on the car i was to get considering it was an insurance replacement ? or could we go back and buy a car in the UK register it in my wifes name, at our UK address, insure it in UK, then 6 months later register it here and pay no VRT ?
    Is this possible ?

I can't give you a straight answer on this, but I can tell you the Revenue are very very strict on this and they will check that you comply with all aspects of the rules. You can expect to be brought in for an interview. They will look at when the car was bought. They will look at where you pay your income tax. They look at things like utility bills, credit card bills (where you were buying your food), etc, to make sure your story is genuine. And if you are successful then only you and your spouse can drive the car for a year, never mind selling it on.

I assume the rules are so tight because of large number of attempts to get around the system over the years.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Is this possible ?

Is the car Irish or UK registered at present?

Both cars are uk registered, as im on a 12 month probation with my contract was not sure what to do with our cars .

The car i would be getting as a result of my insurance would be UK as my spec of car has almost every thing on it

Orange, why not buy an Irish car here when you get your insurace payout?

• Advertisement

That would be ok what would i get for €6500 here considering i had a top of the range alfa 156 in the uk ? with leather, A/C, Auto climate control, alloys etc we were looking at a 2003 Mazda RX8, the VRT was €5400 which was more than what i would be paying for the car, that is crazy !!!!!

That would be ok what would i get for €6500 here considering i had a top of the range alfa 156 in the uk ? with leather, A/C, Auto climate control, alloys etc we were looking at a 2003 Mazda RX8, the VRT was €5400 which was more than what i would be paying for the car, that is crazy !!!!!

If you have a look on autotrader.ie you'll find quite a few fully spec'ed Alfa 156s in the 2002/2003 age bracket for the sort of money you're talking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Detune

Quick question -

I know that the rule is that you need to VRT an import within 24 hours of arriving in the country, but does anyone know how the rule is policed?

Is it just policed based on you being caught driving it on the public road or is there a Big-Brother method of checking Ferry arrivals?

Thanks.

Detune...

Not getting another Alfa here or back in the UK, my other thing is should i buy a car here then my contract not be renewed then i have a car that i dont really want to take back to the uk

Detune wrote: »
    Quick question -

I know that the rule is that you need to VRT an import within 24 hours of arriving in the country, but does anyone know how the rule is policed?

Is it just policed based on you being caught driving it on the public road or is there a Big-Brother method of checking Ferry arrivals?

Thanks.

Detune...

Customs enforce this ...not the gardai, but the gardai report/liase with customs with regard to enforcement.
    And enforcement has been tightened up alright.

Not getting another Alfa here or back in the UK, my other thing is should i buy a car here then my contract not be renewed then i have a car that i dont really want to take back to the uk

If you're unsure of your contract and it lasting, why not subscribe to Bangeronomics...........buy a car for lets say 1k, drive her on and if the contract ends, well dumping the car here nd headed back to the uk far outweights depreciation of any high spec car you might buy now as car values just continue to plummet here and indeed in the uk.
    for under 1k here, you could have this for example.........
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/BMW/5-Series/520i-Tou/200851191267212/advert and drive her on..:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Detune

Customs enforce this ...not the gardai, but the gardai report/liase with customs with regard to enforcement.
    And enforcement has been tightened up alright.

Thanks NiceIrishfella.

So, if the car is off the road am I right to assume that it's unlikely that the VRO are going to have a record that the car was actually brought in a couple of weeks previously?

Thanks.

Detune

Hi Detune,
    i would'nt assume anything -but then theres the reality..........tonnes of non VRT'd car on the road everyday. And if yours is not on the road (eventhough illegal to have in the country anyways) I doubt you'll get a visit tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 berireland

I plan to import a car from the UK in the next few weeks.

Is it possible to appeal the Market Value put on the car by the
    VRT office?

berireland wrote: »
    I plan to import a car from the UK in the next few weeks.

Is it possible to appeal the Market Value put on the car by the
    VRT office?

THE GOOD NEWS ; Yes, its your right.
    THE BAD NEWS ; But only after you pay the full quoted VRT first.;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Detune wrote: »
    Quick question -

I recall hearing that they monitor ferry passenger lists so they may well be aware of your movements.
    I do believe that the last budget introduced a new system whereby you had to prove when you brought the car in.

kbannon wrote: »
    I recall hearing that they monitor ferry passenger lists so they may well be aware of your movements.
    I do believe that the last budget introduced a new system whereby you had to prove when you brought the car in.

Really? They certainly don't ask/check at the moment.

copacetic wrote: »

yeah, i've been stopped and asked loads of questions re; my trip, the car etc.
    other times tho', never get stopped.

copacetic wrote: »

Depends- I got stopped last time. My brother didn't. Its not safe to assume you won't be stopped and checked/asked......

smccarrick wrote: »
    Depends- I got stopped last time. My brother didn't. Its not safe to assume you won't be stopped and checked/asked......

coming off the ferry? what did they ask you? You don't have to have done anything at that stage?

Agreed can only speak from my experience and have never been stopped or seen anyone been stopped coming off ferry and have never been asked when I brought car in either @ VRO.

Have heard people who have come in after being stopped on road by customs asked when they brought car in and said 'ah sure a few months back'. VRO officials generally don't bat an eyelid, they just want to get the vrt paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

Got the car delivered to me but with no Log book.
    Cannot ask the delivery guy till tomorrow.

What is the story regarding VRT....do you need the Log book.

Does the previous owner not have to send it off with the Change Of Ownership papers to Swansea?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,002 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ You should have insisted on getting the V5, minus the Permanent Export section which the seller should have filled in and sent to Swansea. Afaik, you must have the V5 to VRT the car.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

kbannon wrote: »

What if you enter Ireland from Britain via the occupied six counties? That'll confuse 'em!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

Seriously though, Fleetwood to Larne on the night ferry (Stenaline) is very nice, very comfortable. Car goes on open deck though - not sure I like that, but still. Ferry cabins have comfy beds, hot showers and meals in the canteen are included.

Oh, and guaranteed no hassle when you dock on this island, too!

• Advertisement

yep, i've done larne - its grand!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement