Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

+1 - and you'll never see Real Discounting by placing deposits and "trying" to haggle on the phone.
    You got to be there in the flesh,with the cash. Taking time off to go over and stay over can and will pay more when it comes to money off in deals.

For me I reckon I could have got another e500-600 off some car but then the hassle factor is huge. Not knowing when you are going to leave, rental cars, hotels. Its a fools economy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Just back from the VRO in Santry.
    Was dealing with a very nice lady, unfortunately they were checking every Audi/BMW/Merc/VW for extras!
    I was expecting this anyway so not too pi**ed off about it.

I'd say I'll be screwed, the car has every known extra on it, though it is an early 05 so that might save me! When the lady came out to look at the car, she was like, metallic...no, leather...ah sure thats standard, alloys....ah they look like 16's (with 18's on it). Pity they won't pay any attention to what she wrote in Rosslare, they get the real list off Audi.

Queue's were huge, I was there an hour and a serious amount of people came in with 10 minutes of me.

I'll be interesting how they value it, seeing as there are only 2 of my particular model for sale here, that I could find.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

+1 - and you'll never see Real Discounting by placing deposits and "trying" to haggle on the phone.
    You got to be there in the flesh,with the cash. Taking time off to go over and stay over can and will pay more when it comes to money off in deals.

I did all my haggling over the phone, if you find the right person and they can see you know exactly what is on offer elsewhere and that it makes no difference where you go then you should be able to get up toward 10% off.

Offering to pay a big deposit on credit card straight away and transfer the money within a couple of days is nearly as good as being there imo.

It will take a few calls over a few days to show you are serious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭sunshinediver

lafors wrote: »
    Just back from the VRO in Santry.
    Was dealing with a very nice lady, unfortunately they were checking every Audi/BMW/Merc/VW for extras!
    I was expecting this anyway so not too pi**ed off about it.

I'd say I'll be screwed, the car has every known extra on it, though it is an early 05 so that might save me! When the lady came out to look at the car, she was like, metallic...no, leather...ah sure thats standard, alloys....ah they look like 16's (with 18's on it). Pity they won't pay any attention to what she wrote in Rosslare, they get the real list off Audi.

Queue's were huge, I was there an hour and a serious amount of people came in with 10 minutes of me.

I'll be interesting how they value it, seeing as there are only 2 of my particular model for sale here, that I could find.

The above isn't exactly true, Im just back from santry VRO also, Got chatting to a lad ahead of me in the queue who was registering a 08 A4. (you may have seen it outside) A really nice young girl gave him the quote there and then and he paid and got his reg, no inspection and no sending off to rosslare. The aul bugger that I got inspected my car (05 BMW320) and is now sending off to rosslare :mad: Really depends on who you get!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pipsqueak

ye shud ask the auld lad in santry (paddy) who is the best, that old codger is there years and knows whats what!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

its registered to the PPS number holders address.

Is this correct? You have to give your PPS number when registering the car at the VRO? Didn't know that.. In that case, they'd easily know that the person registering is working in Ireland, and so unable to claim a VRT-free registration based on 6 month+ ownership.. right?

The above isn't exactly true, Im just back from santry VRO also, Got chatting to a lad ahead of me in the queue who was registering a 08 A4. (you may have seen it outside) A really nice young girl gave him the quote there and then and he paid and got his reg, no inspection and no sending off to rosslare. The aul bugger that I got inspected my car (05 BMW320) and is now sending off to rosslare :mad: Really depends on who you get!

I suppose so, I agree that its not fair if they don't check every car.
    But when I was there waiting (nearly an hour) they were going out and checking loads of cars. I'm just not that bothered as I was expecting it and I'll appeal it if they look for too much.

Didn't notice the A4, though there were loads of german cars in the parking area, it was that full I parked in the delivery area around the side of the building.

Did you happen to hear the argument with the Nordy lad, he was goin mental cause they wouldn't let him register the car here as he lives up north. Sounded very dodgy from what I heard, said he lived here, then he didn't, said he worked here, then he didn't :) didn't hear the end of it, he was gone when I was leaving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭sunshinediver

I suppose so, I agree that its not fair if they don't check every car.
    But when I was there waiting (nearly an hour) they were going out and checking loads of cars. I'm just not that bothered as I was expecting it and I'll appeal it if they look for too much.

Didn't notice the A4, though there were loads of german cars in the parking area, it was that full I parked in the delivery area around the side of the building.

Did you happen to hear the argument with the Nordy lad, he was goin mental cause they wouldn't let him register the car here as he lives up north. Sounded very dodgy from what I heard, said he lived here, then he didn't, said he worked here, then he didn't :) didn't hear the end of it, he was gone when I was leaving.

Yeah i heard bits of it but until now I didn't know what it was about exactly. As far a i know he just left. Speaking of arguments going on in there another chap there imported a car without checking the VRT. Don't know what model it was exactly but it was an automatic with emissions of 223g/km. Got quoted 11k for VRT and said he couldn't afford it. He was genuinely shocked. You'd imagine people would check the VRT before buying the car.

When i was leaving some local howya turned up in a glanza turbo that must've been around 15yrs old. It was really in bad shape, Why would you bother.. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GARTECH

Can anyone tell me if it is worth having an RAC check done on a vehicle that is been bought straight from an Audi Dealer. Sales man stated that the car has a full Audi 110 point check as is the statndard with used Audi cars. Anyone have any experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Its a fools economy.

Sure. You're the Expert.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

was looking at a '07 Skoda Octavia Elegance 1.9 Diesel hatch with all the works!!

serious value to be had

time to start ringing dealers methinks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

GARTECH wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me if it is worth having an RAC check done on a vehicle that is been bought straight from an Audi Dealer. Sales man stated that the car has a full Audi 110 point check as is the statndard with used Audi cars. Anyone have any experience?

Thats their own multipoint check,but not your own unbiased independent check. Remember that.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

Hi All,
    I have been thinking of importing a car from the UK, If I was todo this and pay the VRT.
    How long is it befor it can be sold again? If it can be sold imediatly is there a limit to the ammount
    of times an individual can do this?

Thanks.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

derekh wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I have been thinking of importing a car from the UK, If I was todo this and pay the VRT.
    How long is it befor it can be sold again? If it can be sold imediatly is there a limit to the ammount
    of times an individual can do this?

Thanks.

You can sell it immediately.
    They'd like get seriously suss if you did it more than perhaps twice in the same year (you could be classified as a dealer).
    If you have a read over this thread- the same question came up earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Takca

smccarrick wrote: »
    You can sell it immediately.
    They'd like get seriously suss if you did it more than perhaps twice in the same year (you could be classified as a dealer).
    If you have a read over this thread- the same question came up earlier.

I hope to go over and purchas then sell soon after and import one more time so
    all going well it would be 2 imports in the same year.

Sorry, I had search over the thread but didn't find the question asked, but in
    the last 5 minutes I have found the question asked twice.

Thanks

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

positron wrote: »
    Okay, like I said before this thread has been massively useful all along, and I've a tasty looking mota' sitting in my driveway! Massive thanks! :)

I bought the car (invoiced to me) but I am based in Drogheda. and I have to out of my way to Dundalk VRT office. So, I would like to register it under my wife's name - as she has an address in Blanch. Santry Office is on my way and also will get the D reg.

Questions:

1) Is this all legal - registering under her name when its invoiced to my name?
    2) She doesn't drive, doesn't have driving license either. Can someone without a driving license own a car? I might need to add herself as a named driver later - would that be okay?
    3) I will be main (and only) driver on the car, and this would be our only car. Can anyone think of any issues with insurance or tax this?
    4) Lastly, can I go into VRT office and register the car under her name, or should I bring her along?

Thanks folks!

My first car was registered and insured in herselfs name (not an import).

She didn't have a licence at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 skimcgee

its registered to the PPS number holders address. I had problems to day as some sow was giving me stick over being unemployed and on the dole. Its none of her business.

Is this for real? I thought it is registered based on your residential address?
    e.g my PPS no. registered to parents house down the country where I havnt lived in 10 years. Was hoping to get D reg based on my dublin address

skimcgee wrote: »
    Is this for real? I thought it is registered based on your residential address?
    e.g my PPS no. registered to parents house down the country where I havnt lived in 10 years. Was hoping to get D reg based on my dublin address

They don't check. I've a Galway reg and my brother a Sligo reg- we live in Dublin but didn't want Dublin regs (work reasons).

S.

They don't check.
    So what's to stop you giving any random address?

I'd have expected to have to show a utility bill / driver's licence or something as proof of address, no?

Also, can someone please confirm, is it a requirement to provide your PPS number when registering the vehicle?

Lastly, must the registrant go to the VRO in person to register the vehicle, or can it be done by post (as I'm writing this I'm thinking that they'd want to inspect the vehicle, so perhaps that's the question answered..).

benifa wrote: »
    So what's to stop you giving any random address?

They post the Vehicle Registration documents to the address you give- so you can't give out any old random address.......

• Advertisement

They post the Vehicle Registration documents to the address you give- so you can't give out any old random address.......

Gotcha, thanks smccarrick. And the PPS number.. ?

Gotcha, thanks smccarrick. And the PPS number.. ?

I called the PPS number out over the counter to her (Tallaght), she didn't ask for any collaborating documentation. She asked me where the car was and whether it was available for inspection- I pointed out the Window across the road at the car, and she said- ah, grand........ I had a printout of the quotation from the VRT website and she asked me whether I wanted to go with that- or have her put the information in herself- I asked her to input the info- it came out at EUR200 less than the online quote I got.......

Perhaps I got her on a very good day- but it was a joy. There was no queue, and I was in and out in under 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Not strictly true. VRO don't post anything out to you. The Dept of Environment in Shannon will post you the licensing cert ("tax book") for the car but only after you tax it. If you don't tax it you don't get anything in the post (other than letters reminding you to tax it !).

You can easily change address prior to taxing it. On line is easiest - when you try to tax it on line you will be given an option of changing the address. So if you wanted a reg from a different county, you could give a friend's address (especially if they had a house number, in case the postman had to deliver something) in that county, and immediatley change the address to your actual address when taxing it.

Most likely they will ask for your PPS number - there is a place on the form for filling it in. Don't know what they use this for; I suspect it's to catch unapproved dealers, doing multiple registrations.

I called the PPS number out over the counter to her (Tallaght), she didn't ask for any collaborating documentation..

Thanks again smccarrick. So submission of the registrant's PPS number is a requirement then. Darn it.

I was intending on bringing my UK car over in a couple of months. I've owned it over 6 months and there's over 6k KMs on the clock. Was hoping for VRT-free being that the decision to bring the car over is a result of a decision to move permanently from the UK to Ireland.

Being that I've been employed here for well over a year, I doubt I'd qualify for VRT-free following transfer of residence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Descull

Nice car for nippin down to the dole office in Climate Expert :-)

Great thread read loads. As with all business supply v demand. Some posts suggesting there are loads of people going daily and the VRT offices really. Is there more value to be had bringing in from England/Wales or down from the North?

Being that I've been employed here for well over a year, I doubt I'd qualify for VRT-free following transfer of residence.

I'd say you'd be fine. If the V5 says you're the owner of the car then they have to accept that.
    I think the PPS think is to track who is bringing cars in and also serves the purpose of knowing you are allowed to live/work here.

If I were you I'd definitelybe giving it a go of bringing it in VRT free.
    Descull wrote: »
    Great thread read loads. As with all business supply v demand. Some posts suggesting there are loads of people going daily and the VRT offices really. Is there more value to be had bringing in from England/Wales or down from the North?

The UK mainland is where the best offers are.
    Up north they've gotten wise to it so the prices are marginally higher.
    In saying that, it is easier to get to and easier to spend a day or two looking around showrooms.

I'd say you'd be fine. If the V5 says you're the owner of the car then they have to accept that.
    I think the PPS think is to track who is bringing cars in and also serves the purpose of knowing you are allowed to live/work here.

If I were you I'd definitelybe giving it a go of bringing it in VRT free.

Thanks lafors. Hope so anyway, otherwise I've two grand to find between now and importation!

Incidentally, PPS numbers do not signify a right to reside / work in Ireland. They'll even give a PPS number to a tourist, so long as he says he lives here and bring a resident with him when he applies. Remarkably, proof of entitlement to reside in Ireland is not required when applying for a PPS number. But I digress..

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Benifa, Transfer of Residence (what you're hoping to import your car under) rules are very strict. They will look more than likely look for documentation to prove your residence in the UK, and also to prove you have taken up residence here. Also proof that you have used the car there for at least six months, i.e. insurance cert etc.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 35 tomm1077

I'm planning on buying a 08 Diesel Passat up the North in the next couple of weeks. I'm going for the post June 08 so as I can avail of the cheaper road tax rates. Has anyone bought up North & is it pretty much hassle free?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭Esel

You don't have to go post-June. Any car first registered in 2008 will qualify. This is fact.

Not your ornery onager

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement