Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

positron wrote: »
    Question about taxing the car after paying VRT:

So, I paid VRT this morning, and now I am trying to pay tax at motortax.ie with the new reg number and last 6 digits of the chasis no, as instructed by the guy at the VRO - but I can't get in / says reg number or PIN could be wrong etc.

Any thoughts? Am I trying too early? Is is that the new details are not on their system yet?

thanks a mil!

You have to wait until the day after you register the car. They must transfer data from one system to another overnight. Try again tomorrow, should be ok. Tax disc should come in about 5 days, VLC in approx 2 wks.

Guvnor wrote: »
    Do we still think the best value to be had on 2nd hand cars is in the UK or north?

Some of the prices for second hand luxury motors that I have heard/seen here is getting ridiculous - I heard that an 06 X5 not commercial was let go at an auction for €11,000! Seems to me to be incredibly cheap. It goes with a doctor friend who was offered €24k value on a 2008 e320cdi trade in against a bmw.

I just look at the above and see the price of some cars here versus the fanciful vrt and am beginning to see better value to be had here!

Just wondering what others think?

I agree completly with you. There seems to be an opinion around that cars imported from UK/NI are always better value. This might be true in 95% of cases but not always - for example BMW X5 and Volvo XC90 to name two. I have made this point on Boards before and have been ignored - people don't want to hear this !!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

fricatus wrote: »
    I'm thinking of buying a car off Autoquake, but how would I go about getting the RAC to check it out? I've been on their site and the only way to book them is to call an 0800 number in the UK, which of course is not accessible from here.

I presume Autoquake has no problem with the RAC guys turning up to do an inspection. Has anyone any experiences to share?

Fricatus,
    You are better off going over with someone who is in the know if possible. It'll be cheaper, faster and more flexible. and don't hang around - sterling is dropping again. 89p to the euro today.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Woodgate

and don't hang around - sterling is dropping again. 89p to the euro today.
    What do people think with regard to the exchange rate, is going to keep heading down or will it rally a bit?

Woodgate wrote: »
    What do people think with regard to the exchange rate, is going to keep heading down or will it rally a bit?

its pulling back a tad again. It might rally now that they have dropped their interest rate to 1.5%, only time will tell. It's @ 90p now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Hopefully the arse will fall out of the euro and depress the import market.

Hopefully the arse will fall out of the euro and depress the import market.

Say's he who just took advantage only days ago of the import market currently?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

lifer_sean wrote: »
    I agree completly with you. There seems to be an opinion around that cars imported from UK/NI are always better value. This might be true in 95% of cases but not always - for example BMW X5 and Volvo XC90 to name two. I have made this point on Boards before and have been ignored - people don't want to hear this !!!!

I was the same Sean until a few days ago - deep down I always knew paying the same or more than the purchase price of the car in VRT killed the value but seeing the X5 go for peanuts has made up my mind.

I know that in the UK there is infinite more choice but once you take in the VRT there are a lot of cars better value here.

What is your take on the XC90 -not exactly the sportiest 4x4 out there but seems to be a decent car none the less? How much are these going for within the trade or at auction?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

Say's he who just took advantage only days ago of the import market currently?
    The value of my car is directly tied to the price of sterling now.

Guvnor wrote: »
    I was the same Sean until a few days ago - deep down I always knew paying the same or more than the purchase price of the car in VRT killed the value but seeing the X5 go for peanuts has made up my mind.

I know that in the UK there is infinite more choice but once you take in the VRT there are a lot of cars better value here.

What is your take on the XC90 -not exactly the sportiest 4x4 out there but seems to be a decent car none the less? How much are these going for within the trade or at auction?

I like the XC90 but very scarce. Has not been any at auction in Dublin recently - have been watching for one since November. Before Christmas a 05 one could be bought here for 30k euros or so, havn't looked in the last week. In UK they are approx 13k stg plus VRT of 17k-22k euro depending on model.

There are a lot more X5s about. 04 X5 in Dublin garage at 24k, 05 at 28k. Merlin Auctions have a 04 X5 with average to low miles at the moment, tying to get 20k for it. Cheapest when I checked on autotrader.co.uk was 9750 stg for one with 118k miles.

Bottom line is both X5 and XC90 are cheaper in Dublin than imported, if you shop around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,030 ✭✭✭✭Esel

fricatus wrote: »
    I've been on their site and the only way to book them is to call an 0800 number in the UK, which of course is not accessible from here.
    Are you sure about that? Try omitting the zero.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Guvnor

I like the XC90 but very scarce. Has not been any at auction in Dublin recently - have been watching for one since November. Before Christmas a 05 one could be bought here for 30k euros or so, havn't looked in the last week. In UK they are approx 13k stg plus VRT of 17k-22k euro depending on model.

There are a lot more X5s about. 04 X5 in Dublin garage at 24k, 05 at 28k. Merlin Auctions have a 04 X5 with average to low miles at the moment, tying to get 20k for it. Cheapest when I checked on autotrader.co.uk was 9750 stg for one with 118k miles.

Bottom line is both X5 and XC90 are cheaper in Dublin than imported, if you shop around.

Average to low mileage for an 04 would be under 50,000? I assume the merlin ones are finance repo's? The cars you've seen mate are they well specced or poverty spec?

Now if the VRT came in line with reality then I'd be off to the UK in a heartbeat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭sunshinediver

Quick question for anyone thats VRT'd a car this week. I brought mine into santry VRO on Monday and the chassis no. went off to rosslare for the standard extras check. Thing is i'm still waiting to hear from them, Anyone else been waiting this long...? cheers

• Subscribers Posts: 16,560 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

Quick question for anyone thats VRT'd a car this week. I brought mine into santry VRO on Monday and the chassis no. went off to rosslare for the standard extras check. Thing is i'm still waiting to hear from them, Anyone else been waiting this long...? cheers

Exact same as you was waiting for call all week (Tallaght). Gave up and rang them non-stop until got the person. They had the total, just back from getting it all sorted and new reg is on car already.

Too late now, but I'd call them first thing Monday or even just go in, they likely have the total just haven't bothered to call you.

edit - saw some fun when I was there too.

A woman trying to reg a jeep as commercial when all it appeared to have was pieces of wood blocking the back windows, they guy was stunned that she thought it counted as a commercial. Still had the seats in and everything.

One guy was in as had been stopped by customs, wanted to know how many weeks he had to pay. When did you bring it in? I dunno, around October he said!

best though was a polish guy trying to reg an 01 Merc, having done the calcs, he scribbled out the Co2 figure on the conformity cert and wrote in a new lower one, in full view of the clerk!

No wonder they are generally suspicous of eveyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭romperstomper

me too, with santry also. gonna drop into them on monday morning before I go into work. TBH I want it done ASAP as i want to get it over with and get it taxed etc

load of bollox these sort of delays (an entire working week - ass clowns)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭sunshinediver

copacetic wrote: »
    Exact same as you was waiting for call all week (Tallaght). Gave up and rang them non-stop until got the person. They had the total, just back from getting it all sorted and new reg is on car already.

Too late now, but I'd call them first thing Monday or even just go in, they likely have the total just haven't bothered to call you.

edit - saw some fun when I was there too.

A woman trying to reg a jeep as commercial when all it appeared to have was pieces of wood blocking the back windows, they guy was stunned that she thought it counted as a commercial. Still had the seats in and everything.

One guy was in as had been stopped by customs, wanted to know how many weeks he had to pay. When did you bring it in? I dunno, around October he said!

best though was a polish guy trying to reg an 01 Merc, having done the calcs, he scribbled out the Co2 figure on the conformity cert and wrote in a new lower one, in full view of the clerk!

No wonder they are generally suspicous of eveyone.

Cheers i'll drop into them on monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Shorty69664

Hi all,
    I'm going over to the UK mid February to buy a ford Transit.
    After I buy it I will be using it in the UK for a couple of days to visit the in-laws

As I don't want to get done in the UK for an untaxed van, I was thinking of getting it taxed for 6 months and then getting it refunded later.
    Does anyone know the procedure for taxing a van in the UK?
    Can it be done in a matter of hours after you buy it?
    Is there any problem with having an Irish address and Irish Insurance?

Secondly, I'll be bringing back a lot of my wifes belongings from her parents home to Ireland, including a large number of unopened wedding presents.
    Will I have an issue with the Irish custom's or is there anything I should do in advance to ensure an easy passage?

Thanks in Advance.

Shorty69664

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

you will not be able to tax it in the uk with your irish address. The vendor can tax it for you. The chances of the Uk police harassing you over a vehicle genuinely leaving the UK are almost nil. Make sure you have insurance on you.

The irish or Uk customs wont care if you have 1,000 presents on board provided they have nothing illegal in them.
    regards
    Rugbyman

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

You have to wait until the day after you register the car. They must transfer data from one system to another overnight. Try again tomorrow, should be ok.

Thanks life_sean, that's exactly what happened - paid tax online the next day, also changed the address in the process too. Now waiting for tax disc etc.

Also, would recommend 'Ledwith Motor Factors' in Drogheda (opposite to Scotch Hall, along the quays) for number plates - €18 for the set, and very friendly and helpful folks there too.

Hi all,
    I'm going over to the UK mid February to buy a ford Transit.

Shorty69664

Check your prices carefully. Transits tend to be cheaper here than in UK if you shop around. There are a lot of tradesmen / companies in Ireland that unfortunately don't need their vans any more. I imported a low mileage one three months ago for someone who then didn't take it and it's proving difficult to sell, even at a loss. In terms of UK prices, they are still making as much as what I gave for mine, so it's not like I overpaid for it.

One van hire firm in Dublin are selling their vans in the North because they can get better prices up there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 wjc

Would give one piece of advice to people about registering. Do it at the start of month and not at end. If you register on the 30th of a month will have to pay road tax for that month.

wjc wrote: »
    Would give one piece of advice to people about registering. Do it at the start of month and not at end. If you register on the 30th of a month will have to pay road tax for that month.

wjc, but what you're suggesting is illegal if you imported/arrived on this soil with a car on on the 5th of Feb (for eg) and did'nt declare it till March 1st, when it should be by law VRT'd with 24hrs of arrival.
    Whilst wjc may be making a money making point, be careful of this advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

Interesting advice all the same.

Interesting advice all the same.

interesting and old news.

Hot tip for anyone going to the Uk zone to buy -

An Ad for this crown in yesterdays sunday business post.
    www.currency.ie
    The ad says you'll loose hundreds of euros using your bank to make your sterling payment.
    They guarantee better exchange rates and same day payment.
    I have not used them therefore I can't tell if they are as good as they say, but the ad did catch my eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kotek Besar

www.currency.ie
    The ad says you'll loose hundreds of euros using your bank to make your sterling payment.
    I have not used them therefore I can't tell if they are as good as they say, but the ad did catch my eye.

I've used them a few times. No probs at all.

Contact them, agree on a rate, transfer the Euros into one of their many Irish bank accounts, same day the agreed amount of Sterling is lodged into the UK account, cleared and available for withdrawal.

Quicker, cheaper and a lot less hassle than the banks.

www.currency.ie

they are excellent, see my earlier post on them. Saved me over christmas break with a superfast transfer that BOI said was impossible and got me a great rate also..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

Eventually got a call back from the VRO in Santry, was in with them last monday!!!

They said the VRT will be just over 200 more because of ......."pearl effect paint" :confused:

I just don't get that? The car has every concieveable extra and they pick pearl effect paint?? Not that I'm complaining, better than a massive bill.

Anyway I've got until Thursday to get it paid, but the car is in the garage after our incident last night (see here ) and I don't know if I'll get it back by thursday?
    Told them this but they weren't much help.
    I suppose I don't need the car as they've already seen it, what do ye think?

lafors wrote: »
    Eventually got a call back from the VRO in Santry, was in with them last monday!!!

They said the VRT will be just over 200 more because of ......."pearl effect paint" :confused:

I just don't get that? The car has every concieveable extra and they pick pearl effect paint?? Not that I'm complaining, better than a massive bill.

Anyway I've got until Thursday to get it paid, but the car is in the garage after our incident last night (see here ) and I don't know if I'll get it back by thursday?
    Told them this but they weren't much help.
    I suppose I don't need the car as they've already seen it, what do ye think?

You don't need car for second visit, just need to pay up and walk out with your reg. Took 5 mins once I got to called to a counter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

copacetic wrote: »
    You don't need car for second visit, just need to pay up and walk out with your reg. Took 5 mins once I got to called to a counter.

Well I got the car back today anyway, so I went up and coughed up the €4.7k. I know I was expecting it and had the money put aside, but after leaving I have a sour taste in my mouth. After stamp duty this was the second biggest robbery I've suffered :eek:

Ordered up plates for it today. Went for the fe-mittelschrift style font (german font), so hopefully will have them in the next few days :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement