Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing from the UK - definitive guide (Q&A)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

jon1981 wrote: »
    hi positron,

how long did it take to drive from cargiants to the ferry? is the drive ok ?

It was an easy drive - and took about 4 hrs and 30 mins. I bought a Garmin nuvi 200 at a Halfords nearby and I was out of traffic in about 30 mins, and then couple of hours of mostly empty motorways, Garmin default setting also avoided toll roads etc. Then an hour of smaller roads (cutting thru the country side) and then the last 30 mins was fantastic road / tunnels etc. Loads of speed camera warnings in Garmin all the way. Once the Garmin woman even said 'Drive straight for 74 miles....' :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,091 ✭✭✭✭Esel

pinkbug wrote: »
    Hi

I want to buy a 2007/2008 vw beetle cabriolet 1.4 or a 1.6 up north as i heard it's way cheaper there . Really not to sure now from reading all of the previous boards.

I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Few questions: Is it cheaper buying from the north?
    Do I need to pay VAT aswell as VRT?

Really appreciate anyone that will help me

Thanks a mill
    It is cheaper. Take a look at www.autotrader.co.uk, use postcode BT35 7NB (that's in Newry, btw) and select 100 miles under Distance.

You will only have to pay VAT if the car is less than 6 months old or has less than 6,000km on the clock. In this scenario, you can reclaim the UK VAT.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭lifer_sean

Doesn't look good guys.

I checked 10 cars before and after midnight. Lasgest change was on a 06 P407 HDi - was 18576, now 17448 (still not worth anything like that):

05 Golf TDi 3dr from 12933 to 12663 (VRT drop 43 euro)
    06 Astra CDTi from 12752 to 11814 (VRT drop 150 euro)
    03 Mini Cooper from 11224 to 10568 (VRT drop 157 euro)
    03 Focus 1.4 5dr from 8291 to 7726 (VRT drop 145)
    06 Almera saloon from 12653 to 11934 (VRT drop 172)
    05 Corolla 1.4 T3 5dr from 13031 to 12230 (VRT drop 155 euro)
    same but T2 from 12230 to 11586 (VRT drop 155)
    04 Avensis D4D T3X 12899 to 12324 (VRT drop 115)
    06 P407 1.6 HDi SE 18576 to 17448 (VRT drop 226)
    05 Zafira 1.6 Life 12204 to 11241 (VRT drop 270)

Conclusion - OMSPs still way off reality. Looks like lots of appeals on the way. What would happen if everyone appealed their payments and caused a ton of work in Rosslare ????

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

lifer_sean wrote: »
    What would happen if everyone appealed their payments and caused a ton of work in Rosslare ????

First of all most of the appeals aren't dealt with in Rosslare, and secondly the OMSP prices are the prices fed to Revenue by the motoring industry. If it can be proven that the figures are way out of kilter with whats available on the main street- Doyles and the other companies who supply the prices to Revenue would likely not be asked to provide figures any longer.

Its impossible for Revenue to chase every little annecdotal price for vehicles- but as you say- if they get snowed under in appeals- somethings gotta give.......

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

looks like I have done well so, on exchange rate and on vrt. It's just come down 1k in an hour. Very surprised, but not complaining obviously!

edit - should note that the OMSP was already reasonable and has come down the automatic 10% or so indicated in the above figures. So it matches up with what looks like a 10% drop in OMSP across the board?

• Advertisement

05 Honda Accord SE (petrol) OMSP down from €12,800 to €11,145, saving me approx €400 on VRT.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

05 Audi A3 S-line 2.0TDI DSG: OMSP €19533 @24% = €4687

The OMSP dropped from approx €21500, so about €500 off in VRT.

I'm not sure whether I should challenge it when/after I pay, as the car has every concieveable extra for that model. There is a chance they'll look at the car if I challenge it an try to charge for the extras.

What would ye all do in this situation?
    Do revenue forget about the extras if the car is over a certain year?

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭camper guy

hi all and happy new year
    Recently got my hands on a car from my sisters father in law .
    problem is i dont have and documentation to link me to the car .
    what kind of form do i need to show vrt people.
    Any advice welcome.
    The car is on english plates .the car is in the country a year.

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

camper guy wrote: »
    hi all and happy new year
    Recently got my hands on a car from my sisters father in law .
    problem is i dont have and documentation to link me to the car .
    what kind of form do i need to show vrt people.
    Any advice welcome.
    The car is on english plates .the car is in the country a year.

:o

Get the seller (it take it its the sisters father in law) to give you the V5 document for the car. Then head into the VRT office - be sure not to mention its in the country for a year or they'll rape you even more.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

lafors wrote: »
    05 Audi A3 S-line 2.0TDI DSG: OMSP €19533 @24% = €4687

The OMSP dropped from approx €21500, so about €500 off in VRT.

I'm not sure whether I should challenge it when/after I pay, as the car has every concieveable extra for that model. There is a chance they'll look at the car if I challenge it an try to charge for the extras.

What would ye all do in this situation?
    Do revenue forget about the extras if the car is over a certain year?

Chances are they will check it for extras. Ive seen Audis 4 to 5 years old checked for extras. I think they only maybe check a third of Audis imported though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭lafors

RedorDead wrote: »
    Chances are they will check it for extras. Ive seen Audis 4 to 5 years old checked for extras. I think they only maybe check a third of Audis imported though.

Thanks, will send the wife up with it so.
    I'll make sure to have all the documentation done and cheque written, hopefully they'll just take it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Trubertq

I've just brought in an '07 VW Jetta 1.9 TDi SE, the VRT has dropped from €3160 to €3045. They're still quoting the OMSP as €19000+ which I think is away off. There was a guy on RTE yesterday saying that even the web site prices are away off these days. I'm happy with my deal though.It's a pity about the tax though.....still you can't have everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Wacko

Planning to bring a car in soon from NI, do I have to register the car with customs, in between bringing it over the border and paying the VRT ?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Wacko wrote: »
    Planning to bring a car in soon from NI, do I have to register the car with customs, in between bringing it over the border and paying the VRT ?

No, you do it as soon as you can when you get back. I think you have a few days alright.

No, you do it as soon as you can when you get back. I think you have a few days alright.

incorrect.
    By law, you have to declare the vehicle within 1 working day of arrival in this state.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

incorrect.
    By law, you have to declare the vehicle within 1 working day of arrival in this state.

Aye i thought that alright. But i didn't want to say it as i remember some one saying you had 21 days, which i was farily sure it was incorrect.

Aye i thought that alright. But i didn't want to say it as i remember some one saying you had 21 days, which i was farily sure it was incorrect.

Agreed LM......like we've all yet to meet someone who declares their UK reg car immediately.:rolleyes:
    It'd be too Irish too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭sunshinediver

Wacko wrote: »

You cannot register a car with customs and NOT pay VRT. Take in the car, go to the VRO and pay the VRT. At this point the car is registered with customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ballaghman

Robertr wrote: »
    For those looking to save a few quid here is my difinitive guide to importing cars from the UK based on my own experiences.

Firstly here is the best information you can get: Revenue.ie - VRT

When you want to get a car from the UK there are a few rules to follow:

(1) You will have to pay VRT on any car coming into Ireland from any country unless over 30 years old.
    (2) You will have to pay VAT on all cars coming from outside the EU, so always buy in the EU as an additional 21% will never bring it under the Irish price.
    (3) You will have to pay VAT on all cars under 6 mths old or less than 6,000kms even if they are from within the EU.

VRT

When you are looking at the price of different cars in the UK (Autotrader.co.uk is the best site) it might seem like the prices are great. This can be true for some cars but others this is not the case.

Obviously, you will firstly have to convert the price into EURO using the most up to date rate that your bank will Sell GBP (This can be quite different from the daily exchange rates that you might see in the papers).

Then you will have to calculate the VRT. This can vary in a number of ways:
    (1) The % of VRT is based on the engine size of the car. You can see the table using the above link.
    (2) It is not based on the price you bought the car for but the Open Market Selling Price or OMSP. This is a value decided by the Revenue. In my experience these can be way off. Sometimes they are way above the retail value and sometimes they are less than the Trade value. Depends on the car. I've noticed that they will value an Audi at about trade or less but BMW's are above what you would expect to pay on a forecourt.

Procedure for Buying:

(1) Get a shortlist of cars that you are interested in knock off about 5% of the listed price for a cash discount. Should get more off but leave that as a nice surprise.

(2) Call your local VRO office (listed in the contact page on Revenue.ie) and ask for a VRT quote. They should be able to give you the amount straight away unless it is a high-end luxury car (over say €60,000). They will then need the chassis number and they will get their VRO Department in Rosslare to do up a valuation - usually 1 day.

(3) You will now have the cost of the car.

(4) Factor in expenses, usually about €1,000.
    - Flights
    - Ferry
    - RAC/AA inspection (has to be done!!!)
    - HPI Check

(5) Contact the Dealer (never buy privately) you want to buy from and give them as many questions as you can think of. Tell them that you will be getting an inspection done so they may as well tell you everything now. If you are not 100% happy with all answers, walk away!!!!! Every Tom, Dick and Harry has a 'car dealership' in the UK, loads of guys operating out of their back gardens, so be wary. Don't bother getting a warranty from the dealer if the car is still covered by the manufacturer's warranty, in fact you should be able to get money off if you tell them you don't want it.
    **EU law states that a manufacturer must stand over their warranty in every EU country regardless of which country the car was originally purchased so if something goes wrong you can go to your local dealership and you will be covered by the warranty. This does not cover Dealership warranties, only Manufacturer!!

(6) Once happy, you will have to pay a deposit, (by Credit Card) don't worry, once it’s by credit card you are covered from fraud. Make sure it is subject to the inspection not showing up anything that will change the overall value of the car from his decryption.

(7) Get inspection done. Make sure you get the expensive one. An engineer will call you to discuss the car and these guys do a great job. One time he even told me that there was a tiny dent the size of a 10P coin in one of the speakers in the back door. When I got the car it took me ages to find it. They do a really good job.

(8) Agree a date to travel over and get the Dealer to collect you from the closest Airport.

(9) Get a bank draft for the remaining GBP balance to pay the dealer.

(10) Call you insurance company and ask them to transfer your policy to the new car. They will only issue a temporary cover for a non-Irish reg that lasts for 1 month.

(11) You should have no trouble of making the journey in one day if you leave early in the morning you will be back in Dublin that night.

(12) Get a bank draft for the amount you were quoted when you got the VRT quote. Knock off about 10% from the draft and bring cash as some time will have passed and the amount they want will have gone down.

(13)With in 24hrs of arriving in Ireland you are required to present the car at the VRO. You will have to fill out a few forms and then they will have a look to see if you have honestly described the car. Don't worry about telling them about every extra, they don't seem to care as long as the Make, Model and Year as are you said. (So make sure that it’s fully loaded).

(14) They will then give you a document that will have your new Irish Reg on it. Go and get some plates done up and put them on the car.

(15) Get your insurance changed to the new reg.

(16) A few days later you will receive the Vehicle Registration Cert. This is not the same as the one that you usually have as it in only the initial cert. and is used to Tax a car for the first time only.

(17) Go to the Tax office and tax that puppy!

(18) In a few days you will have you proper Vehicle Registration Document.

In general, even with VRT, most cars are cheaper from the UK. Obviously, there more expensive the car the more you will save. Anything under €15,000 - €20,000 may not be worth your while but there are some exceptions out there!!

Anyways, hope this helps everyone. I've been doing it for a while and its had its ups and downs, so always use your commen sense and don't let the really cheap ones get the better of you.

Any questions, let me know

Good Luck!!!

:):)
    Any updates on the definitive guide to importing from the UK by Robertr

My update is to disregard the rubbish about never buying privately.
    If you know your stuff, this is exactly where to buy and to save even more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Climate Expert

My experience,

I just got back from the boat yesterday. Heres a full breakdown.

08 520D SE, 7000 miles, regged in March Efficient Dynamics (be careful with this, not all 08s have 08), 16% VRT.
    Paid £22,700, which is less than €24K. VRT is showing as €5500. A few K worth of extras including leather which will add maybe €200 to this.

The exact same car on bmw ireland specs up as €54K. Its fairly handy to go abroad, it was my first time doing it. Just found the right one and put deposit down online. I would say to stick with a BMW main dealer as they do offer a higher standard than a non main dealer. Msport 5 series are a bit too expensive for what you get and a bit rarer. I was looking at 3 series coupes and touring msports but they're a bit small for my tastes.

I made sure to go over as early as possible as I reckon there will be a huge amount of Irish heading over in the next month.
    n579004479_1225248_3755.jpg

CLimate, good luck with your purchase!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭bombers

Well wear with new car

I am thinking of getting something like this one
    http://www.sytner.co.uk/bmw/sheffield/search/bmw-5-series-diesel-saloon-258893.aspx?st=Vehicle&vhl=258893 do you have any thoughts on straight price and how would vrt be on this for extras would be looking at alot more here ,they seem to have 158g co2 level just wondering is this right or should it be 136g or as your comment says (be careful with this, not all 08s have 08), 16% VRT.

any thoughts

bombers wrote: »
    Well wear with new car

I am thinking of getting something like this one
    http://www.sytner.co.uk/bmw/sheffield/search/bmw-5-series-diesel-saloon-258893.aspx?st=Vehicle&vhl=258893 do you have any thoughts on straight price and how would vrt be on this for extras would be looking at alot more here ,they seem to have 158g co2 level just wondering is this right or should it be 136g or as your comment says (be careful with this, not all 08s have 08), 16% VRT.

any thoughts

I bought from Sytner and they would only knock £500 off. They seemed to know about the Irish imports and it is hard to cut a good deal on the phone. Its just one of the prices you have to pay.
    Thats a non ED model but you could ring to confirm this. Those info panes with the used BMW network are all spot on with spec and co2.
    There is a non ED 08 Msport on autotrader for 23K. You probably wouldn't get anything really off that price.

I was all set on getting an MSport but just for the extra look its not really worth it. A lot harder to source one at a reasonable price.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭bombers

Thanks for that might look at nice se model than something like this one http://www.sytner.co.uk/bmw/sheffield/search/bmw-5-series-diesel-saloon-263819.aspx?st=Vehicle&vhl=263819

thanks Climate Expert first timer at this to

bombers wrote: »
    Thanks for that might look at nice se model than something like this one http://www.sytner.co.uk/bmw/sheffield/search/bmw-5-series-diesel-saloon-263819.aspx?st=Vehicle&vhl=263819

thanks Climate Expert first timer at this to

Be careful as well with newer vehicles. If its less than 6 months old or has less than 4000 miles you will be liable for VAT. And you don't really want that.

That one is very similar to mine but it has sat nav whereas mine has leather. I would want 1K off that price before I'd be interested and personally I was only considering cars with leather.

Okay, like I said before this thread has been massively useful all along, and I've a tasty looking mota' sitting in my driveway! Massive thanks! :)

I bought the car (invoiced to me) but I am based in Drogheda. and I have to out of my way to Dundalk VRT office. So, I would like to register it under my wife's name - as she has an address in Blanch. Santry Office is on my way and also will get the D reg.

Questions:

1) Is this all legal - registering under her name when its invoiced to my name?
    2) She doesn't drive, doesn't have driving license either. Can someone without a driving license own a car? I might need to add herself as a named driver later - would that be okay?
    3) I will be main (and only) driver on the car, and this would be our only car. Can anyone think of any issues with insurance or tax this?
    4) Lastly, can I go into VRT office and register the car under her name, or should I bring her along?

Thanks folks!

its registered to the PPS number holders address. I had problems to day as some sow was giving me stick over being unemployed and on the dole. Its none of her business.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,575 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

its registered to the PPS number holders address. I had problems to day as some sow was giving me stick over being unemployed and on the dole. Its none of her business.

was that in Tallaght? Not really a cheerful bunch in there, was there today also. Busy enough, but they still appeared to be checking the chassis number and mileage on every car.

On discounts in the UK, they are there to be had, you just have to keep at it until you find a guy in a dealer who takes you seriously and is looking to deal.

• Advertisement

+1 - and you'll never see Real Discounting by placing deposits and "trying" to haggle on the phone.
    You got to be there in the flesh,with the cash. Taking time off to go over and stay over can and will pay more when it comes to money off in deals.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement