Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas Fines

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

so a "day return" ticket bought now would only be good for wednesday? and not until this time on thursday. strange logic.

dw

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

ARGH!!!
    read the ticket people, just read it,
    it tells you when its valid for.

What do we need, luas-handholders to bring stupid people around Dublin?

If you buy a bus ticket from terminus to terminus do you think you should be able to go half way, get off and then get back on another bus?
    No.
    Hmm strange logic, coz I paid for a ticket all the way...

Ugh.
    :dunno:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

It states quite clearly on the website;

"Single, return and 1-day tickets are only valid on the day that they are issued"

and probably on the ticket itself (but I don't have one handy)
    The ticket in question was purchased the day before raggamuffin used it.
    1-day return is just that, one day. Tuesday and Wednesday are two different days.

Makes perfect sense to me!

From back of ticket...

"Return Ticket: Complete first leg of journey within 90 minutes of ticket issue and the return leg on day of ticket issue"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 421 ✭✭drrnwbb

cheers for clearing that up. its just a different system to what im used to here in helsinki.

dw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭sliabh

Originally posted by redoxan
    From back of ticket...

"Return Ticket: Complete first leg of journey within 90 minutes of ticket issue and the return leg on day of ticket issue"

And this is the same setup as applies with the Dart. I got caught with this a few months ago. I bought a return ticket from Connolly to Blackrock in the evening. Spent the night there and then I couldn't use my return leg in the morning. I had to buy another ticket.

And for those that feel that's not fair, well maybe so, but them's the rules. And you follow the rules or you have anarchy.

If you don't like the rules then get them changed instead of ignoring them.

Earlier someone said that Ireland is basically a dishonest country. I disagree. It's basically honest, but there are a load of people flaunting the rules (speeding, tax, public transport fare dodging, etc.) and it pisses the rule abiding majority off. Hence the success of things like the Insurance Fraud Hotline. Most people are happy to follow the rules when they think everyone else is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Originally posted by drrnwbb
    cheers for clearing that up. its just a different system to what im used to here in helsinki.

dw
    Ooh, well lah-di-dah.

Ah no, in fairness, the ticket clearly states that the ticket is valit up until the last tram's final destination. Whether it ought to be like that is an other question.

I think it ought to be like the Helsinki system.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭mackerski

If you buy a bus ticket from terminus to terminus do you think you should be able to go half way, get off and then get back on another bus?

You're actually free to do just that on the Luas, as long as you're off the thing again withing 90 minutes of the start.

Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Genghis

Given that there is no on-board validation, and given that the concept of a return ticket removes the obligation to even buy a ticket, then there has to be a time limit for the ticket to expire. Otherwise you could buy a return ticket, take the first journey and then continually use the return portion of the ticket for every journey you make in that direction until you were inspected.

I do think a 24-hour expiry would make a lot more sense than an 'end of day' expiry.

I also think that the inspector was a little harsh in your case.

Originally posted by mackerski
    You're actually free to do just that on the Luas, as long as you're off the thing again withing 90 minutes of the start.
    Exactly, so why arent people up in arms as we cant do it on the bus?
    Because, its a different service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Oral Slang

What everyone should be doing is try to get the whole ticketing system changed. In most countries (I've been on 3 or 4 different tram transport systems) they have a ticket which is valid for 1 day, however this means its valid for 24 hours from the time you validate it & not just for the date in question.
    In London & Sydney (possibly other places) the day tickets you buy are valid on the night buses too, so no exorbitant fares to pay after a night out on top of paying for a day ticket.
    I hope that come next year there will be an integrated ticket system that covers all of the modes of transport in Dublin, but that wont cost loads more the basic bus or train tickets.

In most countries (I've been on 3 or 4 different tram transport systems) they have a ticket which is valid for 1 day, however this means its valid for 24 hours from the time you validate it & not just for the date in question.

You mention London later on in your post - but a London Travelcard is not valid for 24 hours, but neither does it stop at midnight. Basically, it's valid from 09:30 (end of morning rush) to something like 04:00 the next day. In other words, until after the last tubes are gone.

I'm not actually aware of any city transport system where a day ticket isn't constrained to a calendar day - without a "valid on" date, how is an inspector supposed to do a quick visual scan of the ticket? Allowing the day ticket to roll over to after-midnight-but-before-waking-up-time services doesn't make it a 24-hour ticket.

Regarding hop-on-hop-off buses, how many of us would be willing to gamble on another bus being along soon enough for us to continue our journeys? I would like to see Dublin's ticketing system go the way of Munich's: a "journey" is defined as the movement from point A to point B any time inside a 3-hour window from the time of ticket validation getting on and off as many transport media as you like as long as you are not deemed to be doubling back.

Dermot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

In London & Sydney (possibly other places) the day tickets you buy are valid on the night buses too, so no exorbitant fares to pay after a night out on top of paying for a day ticket.

Sydney does have integrated ticketing but it only applies to daily, weekly and monthly tickets and you must specify it. If you hop on a bus, train or ferry you will be issued with a ticket (single or return for that mode of transport). I believe the same is for London.

To settle the Luas arguement, I have a Luas ticket in my hand. On the front it specifies the following:

SINGLE
    To: Central 1

Valid until: 12:17
    on: 17 Jul 04
    for: Adult
    on: Luas only

Price: €1.60
    Ticket no .............................

Terms and conditions are on the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Originally posted by mackerski
    I would like to see Dublin's ticketing system go the way of Munich's: a "journey" is defined as the movement from point A to point B any time inside a 3-hour window from the time of ticket validation getting on and off as many transport media as you like as long as you are not deemed to be doubling back.

Dermot

From Dublin Bus website:

Travel 90 Handy Pack - €15.00

Unlimited travel within 90 mins of first journey on all Dublin Bus services except Airlink, Nitelink and Tours. This Handy Pack contains 10 individual travel 90 tickets. The tickets are valid for six months from the day of purchase.

You do not need any I.D. to use this ticket.

Ticket must be inserted into the bus validator on boarding, the final journey must commence within 90 minutes of first validation.

Unlimited travel within 90 mins of first journey on all Dublin Bus services except Airlink, Nitelink and Tours.

Gear! Now all we need is to double the 90 minutes, triple the number of transport media the ticket will get you on and reform the bus routes so they aren't strickly radial and we'll be sorted.

Don't get me wrong - the ability to change buses is a very important first step. It just amuses me that we can spend zillions on two tram lines but won't even try to make clever use of the buses we already have.

Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭P&L

Originally posted by Oral Slang
    I hope that come next year there will be an integrated ticket system that covers all of the modes of transport in Dublin[/B]

http://www.rpa.ie/?id=29
    not much up on their site yet though...

and why limit it to just Dublin? :confused:

why limit it to just Dublin?

Only because it would make a good start - and because it has more transport media to integrate in the one place. Oh, and I also live there.

But if they can do it nationally, good on 'em.

Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 78,250 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by P&L
    http://www.rpa.ie/?id=29 not much up on their site yet though...
    The new site is lousy - the intergrated ticket system navigation is along the top, so theres lots of pages there, they just make it difficult to find.
    Originally posted by P&L
    and why limit it to just Dublin? :confused:
    I don't think it is limited to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭P&L

It is badly designed alright (better than the TVM though!)

I was just trying to make the point that there is life outside Dublin ;-) And with the number of daily train and buses services to and from Dublin. I would consider it a failure if those services were not included.

(I like the sig Victor icon14.gif)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Returns tickets are usually for one day, unless you are travelling a "long distance".

You could try complaining, but or calling Joe Duffy, but at the end of teh day you are the one buying the ticket. I can see how you'd be pissed off though, but if everyone with the incorrect ticket claimed it was a mistake, there woudl be no incentive to actually buy the correct (and maybe) more expensive ticket.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

... especially when all the relevant info is printed on the front of the ticket! All you need to do is read it!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭enterprise

LUAS tickets clearly have printed on the front of them the following information:

In the case of return tickets:

VAILD UNTIL: 28 JUL 04
    ON: LAST TRAM
    FOR: ADULT
    ON: LUAS ONLY
    TIME OF ISSUE: 08.32
    PRICE: E3.00 (example).
    TICKET NUMBER:

Therefore it is very easy to see that the ticket is vaild for travel ONLY on the day purchased.

ENTERPRISE
    NCC1701

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭A2000

Its written on your ticket: Valid until last tram and the date on which the ticket was purchased. It is also on screen while the ticket is printing on machine that it is valid only till the last tram that day.

How would the inspector know that ragamuffin had not used his ticket the previous day for a return trip and was not just chancing his arm?

There may have been 3 of them but dont forget that if a tram is checked between sandyfrod and ballally then 50 more people may get on in dundrum who also need to be checked. Its not much of a hardship to hold up your ticket a 2nd time if asked.

If not payed within 30 days ragamuffin then a court summons will be issued and a fine of up to E1000 will be imposed by a nice judge in a wig who will want it dealt with asap as he may have more important cases to deal with. Unless of course connex agrees to overturn the fine but inspectors have a job to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Originally posted by A2000
    How would the inspector know that ragamuffin had not used his ticket the previous day for a return trip and was not just chancing his arm?

He wouldn't.

BTW you can edit your posts if you feel the need to add or take away from them.

Thanks for that. 1st time on and still finding my way round.

Advertisement