Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in N.W. ?...

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 kduffy

I have relations livin up in the 'Derries' near the Walshes & tommy + patrick mcfadden, their mum is still in hospital i think?

What brought u 2 letterkenny-if its a stupid question!?

Q. i must check the linechecker on some of the isp's, as it should be enabled at end of month? (heres hopin)

What can u tell me which company has better value in broadband usage, as i like the always on, & as im not a major user (til u get it in the house!)

SmartBB-along with the line rental-u pay E11 for it! :)
    IBB ?
    IMAGINE ?
    EIRCOM ?

Regards
    Kevin

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

kduffy wrote:
    I have relations livin up in the 'Derries' near the Walshes & tommy + patrick mcfadden, their mum is still in hospital i think?
    Tommy & Patrick, is that the Scottish guys?
    What brought u 2 letterkenny-if its a stupid question!?
    Well, it has a lot more going for it than Ballintra! :) Just fancied a change really.
    Q. i must check the linechecker on some of the isp's, as it should be enabled at end of month? (heres hopin)

What can u tell me which company has better value in broadband usage, as i like the always on, & as im not a major user (til u get it in the house!)

SmartBB-along with the line rental-u pay E11 for it! :)
    IBB ?
    IMAGINE ?
    EIRCOM ?

Regards
    Kevin
    Hmm, you'll probably have to try for Eircom, or one of the resellers. Check out BT Ireland. They have pretty good offers.

byte

Forgot to mention:

I ordered Smart Broadband on Monday morning, and cancelled Eircom BB. Today, I received the Aolynk router they supply, and my number has been changed, and my DSL is active!

All in just a mere 5 days! That has to be a record! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

Here's a question for you all.

I need advice, or rather, my sister needs advice and as I haven't lived in Ireland for 8 years, I can't answer it myself.

She lives in the Lifford/Castlefin area and would like to get a broadband connection. I know that their telephone line hasn't been upgraded to DSL quality yet so the only broadband service she can get would be wireless.

How does she go about getting connected? Who would be the best supplier of the service?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭muffler

She should be able to get bb from u.tv from the transmitter outside of Strabane.

have a look at the other info here http://www.askcomreg.ie/internet/About_Broadband.59.LE.asp

or have a look here http://www.broadbandforjoe.com/list.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭deman

She is in direct view of that transmitter but someone told her that she can only download and NOT upload.

:confused: Is that true?

byte

http://www.ntrbroadband.com/htmdocs/coverage_maps/areas_live.htm

This is the company that sells wireless Broadband from Strabane. They're the NI equivalent of Irish Broadband (both same company).

deman wrote:
    She is in direct view of that transmitter but someone told her that she can only download and NOT upload.

:confused: Is that true?
    Im no expert on the topic but I think you can upload with every ISP otherwise it would be pointless having it. What I mean is, for example, filling in your details for something you're buying online. Thats uploading.

byte

The only services that don't allow uploads that I am aware of is 1-way Satellite services, where you have to still use dialup for your upload commands.

A standard wireless service would indeed be pointless without uploading!

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

deman wrote:
    Here's a question for you all.
    She lives in the Lifford/Castlefin area and would like to get a broadband connection. I know that their telephone line hasn't been upgraded to DSL quality yet so the only broadband service she can get would be wireless.

How does she go about getting connected? Who would be the best supplier of the service?

Someone had mentioned this crowd:
    http://www.nwewn.com/coverage.html
    earlier on in this thread.

Looks like they don't cover Lifford yet, but if enough people contact them in that area then they may bump up coverage. Also, their local so it be good to support a local company and I met someone (a former network engineer) who had high praise them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭emmemm

NWE
    expensive at e25 monthly.Install cost e129.

HI BYTE

It was tommy & patrick mccafferty & not mcfadden (i think theyre scotch ?-long time since i seen them) as i had thought, sorry for the confusion.

About BT, on one of the threads i saw a while back-it was devoted to the disastrous billing dept, was it that bad? i just kept away from it.

let us know how the smartbb gets on, changin the no. would be an issue at my place !!

Checkin out u.tv & others

Regards

kduffy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Miss Polaris

We were going to go with the above crowd, but huge delays and no guarntee that you will have a signal if they are in your area. It was ideal when we had no option but out of the blue our exchange was enabled and whoo now on 3meg Brodaband with digiweb. Excellent!!!

byte

kduffy wrote:
    HI BYTE

It was tommy & patrick mccafferty & not mcfadden (i think theyre scotch ?-long time since i seen them) as i had thought, sorry for the confusion.

About BT, on one of the threads i saw a while back-it was devoted to the disastrous billing dept, was it that bad? i just kept away from it.

let us know how the smartbb gets on, changin the no. would be an issue at my place !!

Checkin out u.tv & others

Regards

kduffy
    Aye, I know Tommy & Patrick.

BT are well known for their poor billing dept. and I had my fair share of problems with them when trying to connect using them here in LY.

So far, Smart is grand, can't complain about the speed in getting crossed over from Eircom! As for the number change, it didn't bother me, as the only reason I have a landline is for ADSL! And I'd prefer DSL over FWA anyday! On the upside, the new Smart number I got is a very easy-to-remember number! :)

Anyway, check out Digiweb's prices too. They're keenly priced. Also have a good cap allowance if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Daz1989

We were going to go with the above crowd, but huge delays and no guarntee that you will have a signal if they are in your area. It was ideal when we had no option but out of the blue our exchange was enabled and whoo now on 3meg Brodaband with digiweb. Excellent!!!

Sitting waiting over 3 months for a connection form them, but now the exchange is upgraded and going with digiweb 3 meg! Whats the connection like? Digiweb seem to offer the best download limit at 40GB!

byte wrote:
    Aye, I know Tommy & Patrick.

BT are well known for their poor billing dept. and I had my fair share of problems with them when trying to connect using them here in LY.
    I didnt realise it was the connection as well :eek: if i remember from the thread-i heard theyre ad on radio 10E- for 1st year when you actually get conn.!! it would be no good to me as theyre's still sometin wrong with my dial-up & still cant figure it out??

So far, Smart is grand, can't complain about the speed in getting crossed over from Eircom! As for the number change, it didn't bother me, as the only reason I have a landline is for ADSL! And I'd prefer DSL over FWA anyday! On the upside,
    Hi im only new to these acrynoms AFAIK-only one i know @ moment! :)
    the new Smart number I got is a very easy-to-remember number! :)

Anyway, check out Digiweb's prices too. They're keenly priced. Also have a good cap allowance if I recall correctly.
    Are Digiweb-wireless?
    will check them out, have only 5m left here.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Miss Polaris

Daz1989 wrote:
    Sitting waiting over 3 months for a connection form them, but now the exchange is upgraded and going with digiweb 3 meg! Whats the connection like? Digiweb seem to offer the best download limit at 40GB!

So far so good - speed is excellent - contention ratio is 24:1 no problems to date.....

byte

kduffy wrote:
    Are Digiweb-wireless?
    will check them out, have only 5m left here.

Regards
    Digiweb offer wireless, satellite and DSL services.

Of course, their wireless and DSL services will be subject to being in sight of a transmitter, or being close enough to your Eircom exchange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭extopia

Anyone know anything about skydsl? (Don't think they have anything to do with sky tv.)

Would be interested in setting up some sort of BB in the Dunkineely area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Anyone hear if bb might be available in Greencastle in the near future?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

im pretty sure theres a wan in greencastle, from working there last september/october in the vec. failing that you could always contact NTR/Irishbroadband on when they will be available, they said 6 months when i wan in contact with them over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ZombieNation

emmemm wrote: »
    has anyone signed -up with NWE yet?Ilive between Trentagh and Churchill so there is no choice .How long before they get here,anyone know?
    Charge is E149 to install and then E25 per month,e-mail is extra E29 per year.

I wouldn't go near NWE broadband. North West Electronics haven't a notion about good customer service or providing even a fair quality service.
    Their rates are way too expensive, the service laughable. You won't get anywhere near the speeds you are paying for (contention or not). They constantly have problems with their masts. If you lose connection, they have no back up to get you running automatically again. You have to individually log the loss with them.
    Receptionists are impolite and engineers are too few on the ground.

NWE broadband are USELESS. I'd stay as far away from that Derry shower as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭nigel2smooth

Anyone know if broadband is available in the Creeslough area?

Anyone know if broadband is available in the Creeslough area?
    There are a few links in this thread that you may want to check out.

You can also check your line here - over to the right hand side of the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just moved to the Blue Stacks, from a mile over the valley.

There, we had good broadband. Landline.

Here a different matter.

The only access is a mobile modem; and that is slow and very erratic.

A mile down the road they have good landline broadband.

When they put the phone line in here, the tech said that there are only 4 lines available on this circuit?

Numbers start with 40 whereas just down the road they are 21.

We were with BT and very happy with the prices and service compared with eircom ( there was no active line here and eircom first told us that this address does not exist then lost the order. Twice..then it died the day after they connected it...)

BT have been taken over by vodaphone; the deal we have with them is far better than with eircom so we are puting the line to them.

All say that the lines need upgrading; but reading this and seeing how few houses there are up here?

Only 3 1/2 miles from Donegal Town..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Look at http://www.oecd.org/dataoecd/10/53/39575086.xls

Ireland is not even at at the races when it comes to broadband.

Advertisement