Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in N.W. ?...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

I think it was on Highland Radio News at 5.30pm today. Have a look at, www.highlandradio.com/
    Yes, it was on Highland, and they had an interview with a spokesperson who sounded American or Canadian. He also stated that" ''hot spots' were going to be enabled in a large number of establishments throughout the town, so that those with laptops would be able to get broadband standing in the middle of the highroad" ... Why is it always Letterkenny first ?... :(

P. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Because Letterkenny's the capital of the North West - and Ballybofey smells bad :D

Because Letterkenny's the capital of the North West - and Ballybofey smells bad :D

Cheeky sod, it is 'Mulrines' that stinks not Ballybofey ;) and Derry is the Capital of the North West .

Although Letterkenny has one real advantage, it is called Location, location, location, meaning it's proximity to Derry , in this instance. :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=310277

Click above for Letterkenny wireless broadband story.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Get in contact with NWE in derry - they aren't the best but am on a hill in Burnfoot and using it so.... Its microwave over to the hill in Derry - line of sight -0 theyll come out and check if its availavble to u....Its a flook site better than 56k modem at any rate.... we lso used to have satellite here which was okay too.

What prices are you talking about for the microwave?

• Advertisement

Paddy20 wrote:
    Cheeky sod, it is 'Mulrines' that stinks not Ballybofey ;) and Derry is the Capital of the North West .

Its my clothes that smell - not me! I swear! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭roykeane16

paddy its very fast in sligo library twice the speed in the other library i use in leitrim

• Registered Users Posts: 45,823 ✭✭✭✭muffler

roykeane16 wrote:
    paddy its very fast in sligo library twice the speed in the other library i use in leitrim
    Any idea of actual speeds

manorhamilton librarywould be maybe 10-20 seconds slower than sligo muffler what part donegal u form m8

Im in the Ballybofey/Stranorlar area and on BB myself and fairly good it is.
    I have a few friends who are interested but there doesnt appear to much available at the moment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Vinneyboy

Anyone using the Ntr service off the mast in Strabane, i've moved to castlefin and interested in it, if its any good, anyone with any advice on them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

NWE wireless are putting up their mast in Letterkenny on Monday. They will be going live the following week.

www.nwewn.com

wonder will i get coverage in castlefin and what is their service like?

Vinneyboy wrote:

Don't know what the service is like.

This is their coverage map.

http://www.nwewn.com/coverage.html

sent them a e-mail requesting more info, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭jimmeh

NWE getting there finger out a bit too late, IBB and Digiweb have both been live in Letterkenny for a few weeks now...

i was in a internet cafe 2day in sligo its quite fast in there

The prices from the wireless providers are mad for the bandwidth they offer...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Vinneyboy wrote:
    donegalman got the service off ntr (he lives in castlefinn) ages ago and was very happy last he mentioned it
    mind you at least you have a broadband option i'm still waiting

shayser wrote:
    The prices from the wireless providers are mad for the bandwidth they offer...

Not really - how are you going to beat IBB's offer of 2M syncronous with no cap for €50 a month - twats every other ISP out there.

Think about it:

UTV Internet 2M/128k w/8GB cap = €30 + €24 line rental = €54pm
    IBB Breeze 2M/2M, no cap = €50pm

If it weren't for IBB's legendarily bad customer support, there would be no competition....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Yeah, I am contemplating moving to IBB when my 6 month contract with Eircom ends (though unlike BT, Eircom actually gave me a service, but that's another story :mad:)

OT, I noticed this morning and this evening on way home again from work, that there is works going on on the hill on Ballybofey road (Tullybrack or something?) up where the ESB substation is. From what I could see in the dark, they seem to have erected a mast with a ladder up it. Dunno if it's for FWA or some ESB thingy.

byte wrote:
    .......the hill on Ballybofey road (Tullybrack or something?) up where the ESB substation is. d a mast with a ladder up it.
    Lurgybrack

byte

muffler wrote:
    Lurgybrack
    Yes, thanks for that! I knew it had brack somewhere! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Louise77

Hi
    I live in Muff, Donegal...does anyone know of any broadband supplier for this village (actually what exhange is it) I've been reading about NWE - are they any good???
    Cheers folks

From traveling through muff recently i noticed the renault garage there has a wireless antenna pointing towards derry, i know NTR operates around that area from sheriffs mountain.

In relation to the mast at lurgybrack that belongs to ESB from what ive heard, no equipment on it yet, from look at it today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

isn't there not DSL already in Letterkenny?
    but wireless technology will hit off in the north west in a while i'd say since the Intel Wimax tests were promising a while back up there so perhaps it will encourage ISP's to develop wireless there

byte

Jakkass wrote:
    isn't there not DSL already in Letterkenny?
    but wireless technology will hit off in the north west in a while i'd say since the Intel Wimax tests were promising a while back up there so perhaps it will encourage ISP's to develop wireless there
    Yes, there is indeed DSL in Letterkenny, I'm using it now. Though as I don't use the phone, I don't like paying extra for my line rental so I'll be reassessing my options once my 6 month contract expires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

In a few months time I'd say there will be a lot more choice in Letterkenny too

byte

There is a fair bit of choice already in Letterkenny (compared to elsewhere in the county)

For wireless, there's the choice of Digiweb, IBB, and from what I gather, North West wireless soon

I don't know if the phone exchange has been unbundled to BT or Smart (or any other)?

• Advertisement

Smart are supposidly unbundling the letterkenny exchange this week or next, althought, they've been saying this since may...

Advertisement