Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old TV ads.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭An Riabhach

Can anybody remember any of those badly-dubbed tv ads,that were obviously done in different languages originally,but the talking was dubbed over with people with either Irish or British accents while the characters in the ad were miming something completely different?

I can remember one for Kinder Chocolate,and another one for washing powder where the mother's dubbed voice says "...now I'll have to handwash it-oh all that rubbing and scrubbing..." and she is actually saying it in a completely different language.
    Used to make me laugh every time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Seasan wrote: »
    Can anybody remember any of those badly-dubbed tv ads,that were obviously done in different languages originally,but the talking was dubbed over with people with either Irish or British accents while the characters in the ad were miming something completely different?

I can remember one for Kinder Chocolate,and another one for washing powder where the mother's dubbed voice says "...now I'll have to handwash it-oh all that rubbing and scrubbing..." and she is actually saying it in a completely different language.

Yes,the Radion one where the girl says to the father in a really deadpan voice "Oh Daddy,your shirt smells"

I remembered this one while I was watching The Curse Of Frankenstein last night.

This milk ad was a few years before the "Them Bones,them bones need...calci-umm" ad....
    There's this "dead" woman lying in a bed in a horror-type dark setting,with thunder and lightning and there are two people trying to bring her back to life,and the "mad" doctor says: "Her body is lifeless-lacking vitality."
    Then all of a sudden,a huge bang of thunder,a huge flash of lightning,the door creaks open slowly and you see a hand dropping two bottles of milk in the door.The doctor pours a glass of milk,the "dead" woman sits up and takes the glass of milk,and squeals excitedly in a funny east London accent:
    "Milk!! What more could a body ask for?!"

What was that ad which started with this posh woman bragging and bangin on about doing all her housework and gardening,and at the end of the ad two young fellas come in to the house with a brush and a shovel,saying "....We're finished now,missus..." ??

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

darkdubh wrote: »
    Yes,the Radion one where the girl says to the father in a really deadpan voice "Oh Daddy,your shirt smells"

thats right. It is indeed Radion Automatic from around 1989. Think the dad and the son had just finished repairing their garden fence and their shirts l were absoluely filthy as the girl exclaimed.

Thing is, I never really understood what it was about those adverts for Radion that was so funny. But maybe it's just me!:(

Anyone remember an advert for women's deodorant which showed a woman talking to camera who had just played a game of squash or tennis. She was talking about one of her friends who had bad odour when they were all getting changed in the ladies' changing rooms after one particular game. She said something like "And some of us were very nervous being around her." or something like that.

Also, looking for another Radion advert involving hillwalkers.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

"Milk!! What more could a body ask for?!"
    thread on that a few years back. I could not find a video.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055222339

thats right. It is indeed Radion Automatic from around 1989. Think the dad and the son had just finished repairing their garden fence and their shirts l were absoluely filthy as the girl exclaimed.

Thing is, I never really understood what it was about those adverts for Radion that was so funny. But maybe it's just me!:(

Anyone remember an advert for women's deodorant which showed a woman talking to camera who had just played a game of squash or tennis. She was talking about one of her friends who had bad odour when they were all getting changed in the ladies' changing rooms after one particular game. She said something like "And some of us were very nervous being around her." or something like that.

That would be either the one with the Creagh family's homemade commercial,or the later one which had Éamonn Holmes in it.

Here we go.

Paxo stuffing Incredible Hulk advert,no way would this be allowed now.

Found this one on the Adverts We Like thread and I think it deserves its place here,too.Now I can actually remember seeing this before going off to school....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Whitewinged

I always remember the Philadelphia cheese ads with that annoying blonde and dark haired one in the late 80s/early 90s.

I hated any kind of cheese as a child but I used to get cream crackers and butter them and "remake" the advert. My dad overheard me reciting the lines one time and he was like "what are you doing?" so i told him, "playing the philadelphia ad game" duh!

I always remember the Philadelphia cheese ads with that annoying blonde and dark haired one in the late 80s/early 90s.

I hated any kind of cheese as a child but I used to get cream crackers and butter them and "remake" the advert. My dad overheard me reciting the lines one time and he was like "what are you doing?" so i told him, "playing the philadelphia ad game" duh!

My big sis used to love the way the two of them always said the word "lovely" together at the end of the ad in their funny London accents,and she used to drive me mad with it.

Worse was to come after those ads-then they brought out ones which had angels up in the clouds....

My big sis used to love the way the two of them always said the word "lovely" together at the end of the ad in their funny London accents,and she used to drive me mad with it.

Worse was to come after those ads-then they brought out ones which had angels up in the clouds....

Oh yea they really milked that add. Those two were advertising philadelpia for years!

Reminds me of the fairy liquid lady :)

Sticking with Philadelphia cheese,I remember the ad that was out before they started using the two girls with the east London Cockney accents-the "down to earth" girls....
    This one was the opposite,which showed a posh outdoor party and everyone was using Philadelphia on crackers,and the man doing the voice over was using big long words to describe the taste of Philadelphia.And then at the end he says "It goes down well-with everybody.",and you can hear a bottle being popped open.

Sticking with Philadelphia cheese,I remember the ad that was out before they started using the two girls with the east London Cockney accents-the "down to earth" girls....
    This one was the opposite,which showed a posh outdoor party and everyone was using Philadelphia on crackers,and the man doing the voice over was using big long words to describe the taste of Philadelphia.And then at the end he says "It goes down well-with everybody.",and you can here a bottle being popped open.

Ill have to look for that one on youtube. I cant recall it.

sounds like it was made by the same people who created the ferrio rocher ads ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

Radion Advert 1989

Anyone remember the ones for Smirnoff Mule and Holsten Pils?

Used to love the one for Smirnoff Mule,I thought twas really funny.

Anyone remember the ones for Smirnoff Mule and Holsten Pils?

Used to love the one for Smirnoff Mule,I thought twas really funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

This one was the opposite,which showed a posh outdoor party and everyone was using Philadelphia on crackers,and the man doing the voice over was using big long words to describe the taste of Philadelphia.And then at the end he says "It goes down well-with everybody.",and you can hear a bottle being popped open.

this is poor quality but the one I remember most when she says "it is my birthday"

One of the comments was saying exactly what I though, calling them french & saunders clones, always thought the blonde one was too good looking to be playing that character.

I remember this ad for St.Vincent de Paul which always used to come out around xmastime.

It starts with a woman who says "Close your eyes...." and then everything goes dark,and she continues "....this is how everything looks when you are poor."

And I also remember around that time a stand-up comedian was takin the piss out of that ad-he was quoting what the woman said in that ad,but he then said "....erm...no darling,that is how everything looks when you're blind."

• Advertisement

Is it just me,or does this ad remind anybody else of the old Harp Lager ad when the vikings raid the pub?

Is it just me,or does this ad remind anybody else of the old Harp Lager ad when the vikings raid the pub?

Interesting point.They both play up the clash of cultures/exotic types in Irish pub type thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Remember these?

I always thought those ones were better than the one with the pandas.

I remember this ad for St.Vincent de Paul which always used to come out around xmastime.

It starts with a woman who says "Close your eyes...." and then everything goes dark,and she continues "....this is how everything looks when you are poor."

And I also remember around that time a stand-up comedian was takin the piss out of that ad-he was quoting what the woman said in that ad,but he then said "....erm...no darling,that is how everything looks when you're blind."

Thats reminded me of another charity advert,might have been for Trocaire,It showed this laughing African child in a hut.Then theres a shot of a vulture coming in the door and theres a reaction shot of the child looking scared and crying.I remember someone writing in to Mailbag complaining about it being too disturbing

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭duchalla

Big Ed loves Mona....

Remember these?

I always thought those ones were better than the one with the pandas.

That one with the devil and angel is one of my long time faves.Always cracks me up when The Devil grumpily says "mornin".

You catchin me drift??

I can remember another one which I can't find,where the same fella is jive-talkin to a woman on the radio who's tellin him how to ask for a bar of chocolate in proper English.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

I called the Drifter hotline when we first got a phone from Tele Eireann, it was a premium rate number I'm sure. All you got was to listen to the list of Top 40 songs in the charts that week. :o

Advertisement