Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eBay! so funny...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

Originally posted by skittishkitten
    How Funny . The guy got what he deserves. He should have been more polite. It's why I ALWAYS read ebay auctions VERY closely .....often have reread some of them several times to figure out what I'm missing, especially if it's something I REALLY want and it seems to good to be true. Amazing how your mind can skip over important parts in your excitement. The fact that he misread the auction is no cause for rudeness. I clearly understood it was just for the box by the end of the auction description.

I've got a regular cardboard box with an X on it, maybe you could sell that for me? :p Classic.

In fairness, I think you should give the guy his money back or at least the money minus the eBay fees and reserve price. If we started punishing people for being stupid then I'm sure most of us would have been locked up years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

i think i'll try selling that old rope lying around...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gimpy

Thats what I planned to do. UNtil he abused me. Youve seen the feedback he left, lets jsut say the email I was sent was a lot worse than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 665 ✭✭✭skittishkitten

Originally posted by Raskolnikov
    In fairness, I think you should give the guy his money back or at least the money minus the eBay fees and reserve price. If we started punishing people for being stupid then I'm sure most of us would have been locked up years ago.

He's not being punished for his stupidity ....it's his lack of politeness that qualifies him for lack of refund. I would never refund money to someone that was rude and without a shred of common courtesy . Gimpy already stated IF he had been polite while asking for the refund he would have gotten it. But to use rudeness and leave negative feedback because of one's own stupidity is not the way to get a refund. I say serves him right . KEEP the money Gimpy for your time and misery !

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

ROFL!

A good tip, your eyes spot mistakes (or in this case just to read it properly) a lot easier on paper, so If you're looking at an item, print out the details and read through it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭Trip Hazard

:p:p:p Some people are just plain stupid, i wonder if it was a PS2 box would have still bought it. Gimsy, thats a great idea just to prove how stupid some people are, always remember to read the small print, ha ha ha:D :D:D Classic!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

Hi. Im the guy that sold the box.

Incase your wondering 2 days after he paid he realised his mistake and asked for a refund, I would have given him it if he had been polite, but he emailed me with more abuse than you could belive, so I thought screw it.

Then he requested mediation from ebay (also including in the mediation notice a lot more abuse) Thing is he messed up again, on the mediation request he said he`d be happy to get a full refund or have the transaction carried out completly. Since I had sent the box and he had paid it was done. Ebay emailed me saying that his mediation request had been denied.

Also, I did get about 30 - 40 emails from people during the auction saying "is this jsut for a box" I replied to each one honestly and said yes. I even got 2 or 3 asking which dvd drive was in the xbox, I told them it was just for the box too.

Oh and about the reserve, it was set at £30, purely for the reason the auction was put up as a joke after discussing with my friend how you can sell anything on ebay, and since the post office is far away from my house I couldnt be bother to walk that far, so I put the reserve at something I never thought it would reach. I got prooved wrong

And thats the story, hope you enjoyed my auction

youre a bleeding muppet, honestly.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by Placebo
    youre a bleeding muppet, honestly.
    Why? If that's true, it sounds fair. Exactly what I'd do.

Person who goes on ebay, trying to sell a box, trying to show off to his mates or not, its tricking people.
    Muppetry some would call it. Others would call it funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

What? There was no intention or attempt to trick or mislead anyone.

Friend 1: "You can sell anything on ebay"
    Friend 2: "No you can't."
    Friend 1: "Bet you I can"

So friend 1 goes and puts a box for sale. Describes it as a box, and even what you could do with it as a box. If you read the description, you might go "WTF", but you'll realise he's selling a box. Many people were smart enough to ask if it's just a box, but some guy bids £130 without reading the description or asking questions.

If he give gave him two fingers and laughed at him, I'd call him a muppet, but since the other guy decided instead of a single nice email, he sends a torrent of abuse, so the seller decided not to refund the cash. I'd do exactly the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

can you blame him for reacting badly ? ... how can you say it's not misleading, what kind of cardboard box is in PAL Format, and it says "Platform: Microsoft Xbox .. Condition: New In Box.."

don't know if you could call it deceit, fraud or misleading, it's still bad form, just give the poor guy his money back

sigh

seamus, read the above.
    The title is very misleading, go read it again urself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Tivoli

its a wonder this hasn't made the news!

seriouly well done gimpy, someone would have conned money out of that gullibal fool eventually so may as well be you, and i think we will all be more careful on ebay after reading this, so Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

Placebo, read the title carefully ffs, the title states: "Limited Edition Crystal Xbox box" it even states its a box in the title, and in the description, how is it misleading?

didnt mean title, the description inside, i dont have link right now, but il post what it was later, you can go check it,
    and FFS ? are you getting pissed off at me ? cause i think some on who tricked a guy into buying a box for more than 100 quid is a muppet?
    very nice.

Fine, the description is slightly misleading. But it did state clearly that it is a box. And then it tells you what you can do with it, really though, if it was an actually xbox would you have to "Use it to impress your friends by making them think you have a spiffing brand new crystal xbox sat at home"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Reminds me of an episode of family guy where peter is sold volcano insurance by a salesman where the contract is just "volcano insurance" over and over again with "he's buying it he's buying it i can beleive the stupid fool is buying it " in small print at the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 761 ✭✭✭PrecariousNuts

www.p-p-p-powerbook.com

An even better story.

Shortened.

Person selling Powerbook on ebay.
    Scammer emails him outside of ebay asking to settle the transaction using a 3rd person website.
    Turns out the website has forged verisign etc links on it.
    The scammer was found out but we decided to play along with him anyway.

A laptop was made using a ring binder.
    It was shipped out with the price declared at $2500.
    People go scout out the address.
    People take pictures and videos etc of the scammer and go into his shop for haircuts (lol) etc.
    Package arrives.
    The guy ends up paying over 250 sterling to get the package due to VAT.
    All he got was a p-p-powerbook!

See full thread on SA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

Classic,he prob thought he was getting a good deal with such cheap shipping aswell :p

omfg!! 666 posts...this thread is pure EviL

CombatCow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭The Brigadier

I sent him a link to this thread the other day..I'm glad he popped in...

I thought it would be good to get an opinoin fro him!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,285 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Another entertaining auction on e-Bay

Used wedding dress for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭[CALIBUR]

Sweet zombie Jesus ! 120 euro for a box! 0_o

Originally posted by #MEAT#
    Sweet zombie Jesus ! 120 euro for a box! 0_o
    120 pounds which is about 180 euros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭Agent Orange

Funnily enough people buy things on eBay not expecting to be ripped off.

The reserve price you set along with the ambiguous wording gave the impression that it was an x-box system you were selling. 'X-box box' could also refer to an x-box system. You could have worded it much clearer that it was just a cardboard box, such as 'THIS IS NOT AN X-BOX SYSTEM! IT IS ONLY A CARDBOARD BOX!' but you chose not too.

You are clearly an asshole, and I don't blame the guy for getting seriously pissed off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 atlas

Brilliant - spent about ten minutes splitting myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Originally posted by Agent Orange
    You are clearly an asshole, and I don't blame the guy for getting seriously pissed off.

Puh-lease. The buyer didn't bother to read the description, or even e-mail the seller about the product. He deserves everything he got.

*Everyone* knows you have to be careful on Ebay. What kind of dumbass buys something without actually reading the description properly?

I mean, christ, the description even says "Use it to impress your friends by making them think you have a spiffing brand new crystal xbox sat at home". It's not gimpy's fault the buyer can't read. I say fair play gimpy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 gimpy

I think about %98 of people whove seen the auction have said they found it funny and I should keep the cash because the buyer was at fault. I know I put it in the wront catagory but as was pointed out in a thread on another board theres a lot of items on ebay in wrong catagories, and you shouldnt go by what an item is by the catagory and not read the auction.

Plus the fact ebay said the buyers was at fault and is not entitled to a refund kinda prooves my auction was fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I think its hilarious, i actually need an x-box box, you got any more gimpsy?

Seriously though, what happens if someone wants to legitimately sell an x-box box n Ebay in the future. Everyone will think they are just piss takers. You have set an ugly precedent and spoiled it for everyone else gimpsy!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Did anyone else look at the bid history? That muppet wasn't the only bidder...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 PFC Hudson

I've been following this auction since Gimpy created the thread over at the UK board in GameFAQs... With much amusement!

I'd like to say to anyone who doesn't find it funny or thinks Gimpy was deliberately out to rip someone off should either:

A) Get a sense of humour.
    B) Learn to read properly.

I showed the auction to two of my kids, aged 8 and 10, even they spotted exactly what he was selling, straight away and with no promting from me. My 10 year turned to me and asked why someone would pay £115.00 for just a box!

If you look at the thread at GameFAQs

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=313&topic=13715698

Gimpy (AKA Spaghettyhoop), explains many times why he made the auction and why he set a reserve. He honestly never thought anyone would even bid - Let alone pay!

The reason he had 'New in box' and 'PAL format' at the top of the auction is that you can't put an item in that type of auction without putting something in those spaces. There are enough clues in the item description to tell you what you are buying.

Advertisement