Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RH Negative Blood Theory

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

I think that injection is to induce the afterbirth.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

solas wrote:
    I think that injection is to induce the afterbirth.
    Nope, thats yet another one :D But after having a kid you really dont care if they make you into a pincushion. Better be careful now or Ill get this moved to parenting :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

hah.
    I can still see the poor nurse flying across the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Shabadu

Ha! Your O-, Shabidabidoo!

By the way.... BRAAAAAAIIINSS!
    We have so much in common. We should get marriaged. OH NOES I forgot you're shorter than me =(

Katiek, thanks for clearing that up for me. iirc my son is AB+.

solas wrote:
    hah.
    I can still see the poor nurse flying across the room.
    Nah, Im not as rough as that, I just broke her fingers. Whod be a maternity nurse. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭79cortinaz

Just enter "free IQ test" into google and see what you get.

'fraid that would be a waste of time. according to online IQ tests most people are genuises

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

stevenmu wrote:
    Read a theory recently that Rh+ people were descended from Rhesus monkeys, and that Rh- people were descended from *ahem* martians who came here when their planet was dying. Not too sure if I believe that one or not. I'll try and find a link that explains in more detail, in the meantime I've something more important to do.
    That theory is a little lacking in imagination. The 'rhesus' in rhesus factor, of course, comes from research done on the Rhesus monkey in the 1940s. T'is a bit suspicious then if someone later claims that we're descended from the cheeky little monkeys. Better to have us descend from something else really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

79cortinaz wrote:
    'fraid that would be a waste of time. according to online IQ tests most people are genuises

Take away my joy why don't you! :(

Here, have my shoes aswell.

Take away my joy why don't you! :(

Here, have my shoes aswell.
    Or it could be that computer users (such as us) are of above average intelligence. ;)

KatieK wrote:
    Or it could be that computer users (such as us) are of above average intelligence. ;)

com...pu....ter..s...?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

the rh+/- thing is very interesting but the essay appeared to be a bit, well, cultish by suggesting some reading material which mostly related to people being descendants of extra terrestrials , which is the staple belief of most modern cults.
    also,
    i speed read and i think i missed this but from the thread buti take it that the rh type is paternelly carried if problems occur with conflicting types between mother and infants,could someone verify this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

KatieK wrote:
    if you consider the popularity of sites such as 'rotten.com' you will see that this is not so, :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭KnowItAll

There is another interesting theory that rh- blood type is neanderthal. Also red hair etc is neanderthal.

Before people get upset at this statement firstly ignore the way the media shows neanderthals. They were in europe for over 250,000 years before humans came. They could have walked down a street and not be noticed. Humans and Neanderthals lived side by side for thousands of years so interbreeding would have occured.

Also (here's where the superior IQ may be from) Neanderthals brains were 13% bigger than humans!

I might be wrong but I thought I'd raise the point. I dunno what my blood type is btw.

Yeah, I remember watching a documentary on the possiblity of neanderthal and homo sapien interbreeding. Quite interesting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

KnowItAll wrote:
    There is another interesting theory that rh- blood type is neanderthal. Also red hair etc is neanderthal.

Before people get upset at this statement firstly ignore the way the media shows neanderthals. They were in europe for over 250,000 years before humans came. They could have walked down a street and not be noticed. Humans and Neanderthals lived side by side for thousands of years so interbreeding would have occured.

Also (here's where the superior IQ may be from) Neanderthals brains were 13% bigger than humans!

I might be wrong but I thought I'd raise the point. I dunno what my blood type is btw.

One: A neanderthal walking down the road would be very much noticed. People would stare, their facial features were extremely diffferent to ours. Their body would be much heavier and stockier, their foreheads extremely sloped... People would probably assume inbreeding or deformity.

Two: Neanderthals may have had slightly bigger brains on average(I'll trust you on that) but many studies have shown that brain size is not very relevant to intelligence.

There is a condition in humans where the brain is hollow, the material is actually a layer an inch or two thick that is plastered to the inside of the skull, and some (if not all, im not sure) suffer absolutely no mental impairement despite having a fraction of the brain mass of an normal human. Also, archaeological evidence has shown that homo sapiens sapiens is more intelligent than neaderthals despite the apparent brain size difference. Tool useage and placement of settlements(defensive on a hill etc) are examples.

Three: Homo sapiens sapiens and neanderthals didn't live "side by side". They lived in rival neighbouring tribes that constantly struggled with each other for resources, a case of inter breeding is extremely unlikely, modern humans were pretty much invaders. Finally, any half breeds that may have been created would most likely have died off. Neanderthals died because they were inferior to modern humans, half breeds would have inherited that legacy of dooooom.

Who says RH blood is neanderthal and why?

Zillah wrote:
    One: A neanderthal walking down the road would be very much noticed. People would stare, their facial features were extremely diffferent to ours. Their body would be much heavier and stockier, their foreheads extremely sloped... People would probably assume inbreeding or deformity.
    I saw an experiment done by scientists on TV and they proved that a neanderthal could have walked down a street by making someone up as a neanderthal in modern clothing! Nobody noticed.
    Two: Neanderthals may have had slightly bigger brains on average(I'll trust you on that) but many studies have shown that brain size is not very relevant to intelligence.

There is a condition in humans where the brain is hollow, the material is actually a layer an inch or two thick that is plastered to the inside of the skull, and some (if not all, im not sure) suffer absolutely no mental impairement despite having a fraction of the brain mass of an normal human. Also, archaeological evidence has shown that homo sapiens sapiens is more intelligent than neaderthals despite the apparent brain size difference. Tool useage and placement of settlements(defensive on a hill etc) are examples.
    What your saying is true but why did they have such big brains? They lived in Europe through ice ages and survived thousands of years. They were phyiscally very hardy but to survive they would need to be smart hunters etc. They developed the first musical instruments. A flute was found which was almost exactly like modern flutes.
    Three: Homo sapiens sapiens and neanderthals didn't live "side by side". They lived in rival neighbouring tribes that constantly struggled with each other for resources, a case of inter breeding is extremely unlikely, modern humans were pretty much invaders. Finally, any half breeds that may have been created would most likely have died off. Neanderthals died because they were inferior to modern humans, half breeds would have inherited that legacy of dooooom.

Who says RH blood is neanderthal and why?
    They lived near each other for thousands of years. You know yourself what some people are like!

The people who are descended from the original europeans are the most likely to have RH neg, like us and the Basques. The Neanderthals were here when the original europeans arrived so thats where the theory came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭Dizzyblabla

O-ve and an IQ of 153!! must be the aliens!!

KnowItAll wrote:
    I saw an experiment done by scientists on TV and they proved that a neanderthal could have walked down a street by making someone up as a neanderthal in modern clothing! Nobody noticed.

Ok first of all you can't use make up to make someone look like a neanderthal, they have much heavier bone structure and pronounced differences in skull shape. Who were these television scientists? Was it a documentary or a pseudo-documentary like "braniac"?

What your saying is true but why did they have such big brains?

I don't know, and I don't see why it's relevant. Maybe their neuron structure was less efficient than ours and therefore needed some sort of bio chemcial capacitors to store electrical charge... Big brain means nothing.
    They lived in Europe through ice ages and survived thousands of years. They were phyiscally very hardy but to survive they would need to be smart hunters etc.

Chimpanzees can hunt fine...
    They developed the first musical instruments. A flute was found which was almost exactly like modern flutes.

The creation of a blowing instrument is not proof, or even evidence, that neanderthals had an intellect equal or approaching that of modern humans. Unless of course you take the flute to be the examplar of our intellectual capabilities.

The people who are descended from the original europeans are the most likely to have RH neg, like us and the Basques. The Neanderthals were here when the original europeans arrived so thats where the theory came from.

The original europeans?

On another note entirely, did anyone else notice that the original article was written in 1974?

Zillah wrote:

They also masturbate in public.

• Advertisement

They also masturbate in public.
    Surely this is proof of their superior intellect?

rofl

Zillah wrote:
    Ok first of all you can't use make up to make someone look like a neanderthal, they have much heavier bone structure and pronounced differences in skull shape. Who were these television scientists? Was it a documentary or a pseudo-documentary like "braniac"?
    They used prostetiks (sort of plaster (sorry about spelling)).

Zillah wrote:
    I don't know, and I don't see why it's relevant. Maybe their neuron structure was less efficient than ours and therefore needed some sort of bio chemcial capacitors to store electrical charge... Big brain means nothing.
    I can't see how their brains would be less efficent. Nature is efficent. Brain size does matter. They may not have been smarter than humans but I don't think they were dumber.
    Zillah wrote:
    ...in their jungle enviornment, not in the forzen north with food scarce.
    Zillah wrote:
    The creation of a blowing instrument is not proof, or even evidence, that neanderthals had an intellect equal or approaching that of modern humans. Unless of course you take the flute to be the examplar of our intellectual capabilities.
    It was a complex blowing instrument. I'm not an expert on blowing instruments but the article said it had holes in it that were like modern flutes that reached certain sound pitchs.
    Zillah wrote:
    The original europeans?
    Yes, the Germanic people came after the first Europeans (celtic I think) were here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭arrietty

KnowItAll wrote:
    I can't see how their brains would be less efficent. Nature is efficent. Brain size does matter. They may not have been smarter than humans but I don't think they were dumber.
    I'm no expert on Neanderthals. But they were nothing compared to modern humans. They didn't have the same skills we have with tools, their language was probably only rudimentary (this is a matter of hardcore academic dispute, but seems to be accepted by most), AFAIK they left no art behind them (although of course they could have made art using things that would generally not have survived, such as wood or cloth, unlike modern human's cave paintings).
    Nature is efficient. Evolution is efficient. It's also unbelievably slow. Nature has thrown up many weird and wonderful things over the aeons - they weren't all particularly smart.
    KnowItAll wrote:
    It was a complex blowing instrument. I'm not an expert on blowing instruments but the article said it had holes in it that were like modern flutes that reached certain sound pitchs.
    I haven't heard about it, so I can't comment properly. But one flute does not, IMO, indicate a smart all-rounded species. The Neanderthals were very different to us, whatever the similarities.
    KnowItAll wrote:
    Yes, the Germanic people came after the first Europeans (celtic I think) were here.
    Errrrrrrr... no. Doesn't quite work like that. It's incredibly complicated (it's spread over a long time. There's a lot of people involved. There's not nearly enough evidence to settle most of the questions). I've read a bit about it, but only enough to confirm how ignorant I am of the subject.
    If you're going on language as a good indication of population... which it usually is... the Basque language and a few others (Saami, and I think Hungarian) are not Indo-European languages. The Celtic, Romance, Germanic, and Slavonic languages amongst others are all Indo-European (as is Sanskrit). The Indo-European languages came with a people who eventually settled all over Europe (or mixed with the original population, or passed their language on to that population...)
    The Basques are a people that would appear to have been a fairly coherent population unit for a long time. They have their own language, their own genetic oddities, they inhabit a relatively small area. It doesn't necessarily mean a hell of a lot else.

But to get back to the topic... I don't really reckon there's a lot in the Rhesus negative theory. For a start, that article is the kind of bull**** that gives the esoteric a bad name. Secondly - we have a lot of genes, and a lot of genetic factors make us up. I see no reason why something like blood types should be any indication of our abilities. There's a lot more to us.

Mmm, the sweet smell of sensibility...

/me claps for arietty. I love when someone has the patience to refute the nonsense properly.

/me claps for Shabadu. I love it when someone has patience to congratulate the poster who refuted said nonesense.

You've got balls. I like balls.

Especially Neanderthal balls.

Are they the ones with uni-brows?

• Advertisement

Are they the ones with uni-brows?
    Oh yeah... and the prominent foreheads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement