Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STI Clinics in Ireland (list in first post updated 10/08/2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Went to the Guide clinic last Thursday and was given a note which states that on Tuesday and Thursdays "queueing begins at 9:30 AM and clinic begins at 1PM".
    That info should really be on the website.

As an aside, does anyone know what the treatment for male genital warts is? They occur in some rather out of the way places!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 fergalmejergal

haha hate to have genital warts !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

haha hate to have genital warts !

Perhaps if you ever get to experience coital you might pick them up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 fergalmejergal

Ohhhhhhh my Godddd ,

I am most offended ,

what ever will i doooo ??????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

You will take your 1 month ban and learn to read the site rules and the charters of each forum.

• Advertisement

Decided to go get an STI screening later this week, I've been putting it off for a little while but feel it's something I want to do for my own peace of mind.

The thing is I'm symptom free and any exposure would be at least a year ago (I know there are lots of symptom free things that could still lurk though) but I'm terrified.

I started going out with someone in the last 6 months and all I can think is how would I tell him if I have something? We've known each other for years but I'm afraid this will scare the bejaysus out of him...

We've been fully protected for full sex but obviously have been fooling around otherwise.

Sorry for whining I just have the fear, heading to well woman during the week to suck it up :/ Anyone any reviews of the place?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Decided to go get an STI screening later this week, I've been putting it off for a little while but feel it's something I want to do for my own peace of mind.

The thing is I'm symptom free and any exposure would be at least a year ago (I know there are lots of symptom free things that could still lurk though) but I'm terrified.

I started going out with someone in the last 6 months and all I can think is how would I tell him if I have something? We've known each other for years but I'm afraid this will scare the bejaysus out of him...

We've been fully protected for full sex but obviously have been fooling around otherwise.

Sorry for whining I just have the fear, heading to well woman during the week to suck it up :/ Anyone any reviews of the place?

Get tested, if you're positive for anything pretend you had symptoms.

Or you could bring up the topic and ask if he's ever been tested, then say something like "i hear some infections can be symptomless, my mate blah had chlamydia with no symtoms, gonna get tested to be sure"

Well, this week I will be travelling back home to get tested because of the inadequacy of STI care in Dublin.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

Well, this week I will be travelling back home to get tested because of the inadequacy of STI care in Dublin.

The service in St. James' is fantastic imo.

The service in St. James' is fantastic imo.

Ha! You really have no idea how bad it is. I tried twice to go there, did everything by the book, and both times I was sent home by some rude, unkempt, hoopy-earring receptionist because they couldn't see me. This was in spite of me turning up at 8.30am, on the second attempt, after they had me wait in an outdoor conservatory for an hour in the freezing cold.

Contrast this with the clinic back in Cork, where I rang for an appointment a few weeks in advance and arrived to friendly, professional staff, in a warm waiting room with a flat-screen TV on the wall. All in all, the process took two hours, start to finish. Compared to reported eight hour turnaround time at Jame's.

That clinic is a joke, and the fact that Dublin has only one free clinic is madness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭theredletter

I'm sure it's been discussed but the free Gay Men's Health Project on Baggot street is fantastic! They take 30 men on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. The whole process takes three hours tops and it's professional, friendly and generally an enjoyable experience (yes, ENJOYABLE!). If you're a MSM go for it. You get free condoms and lube in the waiting room and they always put on something for the gays on the TV (like Oprah or something similar, some guys might not like that idea but come on they're trying to create a welcoming, gay-friendly atmosphere). Highly recommend it!

Ah, I'm not gay so I guess this was off the cards for me and the g/f. I will remove the above service from my rant!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭theredletter

I know Dr Camish in Maynooth offers testing at a good price and he's supposedly a fantastic doctor! Just an idea too.

Here you will find useful information and support in relation to all aspects of HIV/AIDS as well as STIs and sexual health.
    Please Note Limited spaces available in walk in clinics
    Other times available by appointment only

Health Protection Surveillance Centre
    25-27 Middle Gardiner St
    Dublin 1, Ireland.
    t: +353 1 8765300
    Email hpsc@hse.ie

Cork STI Clinic
    021 4966844
    Clinic Times:
    Mon - Thurs 9 - 11.45am,
    Wednesday 9 - 11.45am & 1.45 - 4.30pm

Cork University Hospital
    Infectious Diseases
    087 2361249
    087 6996272

Clare STI Clinic
    Ennis General Hospital
    Ennis
    Co Clare
    Tel: 061 482382
    Clinic Times: Mondays 9am - 12pm
    (Appointment only)

Carlow STI Clinic
    Carlow District Hospital
    Tel: (051) 842646
    Clinic Times: Tuesdays 12.30 - 1.30pm
    (Appointment only)

Galway STI Clinic
    Portiuncla Hospital
    Ballinasloe
    Co Galway
    Tel: (090) 9624676
    Clinic Times: Thursdays 2 - 5pm
    (Appointment only)

STI Clinic in Galway
    University College Hospital, Galway
    091- 525200
    Monday "walk in clinic" 2pm.
    Wednesday "walk in clinics" 9am & 2pm.
    (Friday 9am - 1pm is by appointment only)

Kerry STI Clinic
    Tralee General Hospital
    Tralee
    Co Kerry
    Tel: (021) 4966844
    Clinic Times: Fridays 12 - 5.30pm
    (Appointment only)

Limerick STI Clinic
    Limerick Regional Hospital
    Dooradoyle
    Limerick
    Tel: (061) 482382
    Clinic Times: Tues & Thurs 9am - 5pm
    (Appointment only)

Mayo STI Clinic
    Mayo General Hospital
    Castlebar
    Co Mayo
    Tel: (094 9021733
    Clinic Times: Tuesdays
    (Appointment only)

Sligo STI Clinic
    Sligo Regional Hospital
    The Mall
    Sligo
    Tel: (071) 9170473
    Clinic Times: Tues & Thurs 6pm - 7pm
    (Appointment only)
    Located in Outpatients Dept waiting areas 3&4

Tipperary STI Clinic
    Nenagh General Hospital
    Nenagh
    Co Tipperary
    Tel: 061 482382
    Clinic Times: Wednesdays 2 - 5pm
    (Appointment only)

Tipperary Clonmel STI Clinic
    South Tipperary Hospital
    Clonmel
    Clinic Times: Wednesdays 2 - 3.30pm
    (Appointment only)

Waterford STI Clinic
    Waterford Regional Hospital
    Waterford
    Clinic Times: Mon - Fri 9am - 12.30pm & 2 - 3pm
    (Appointment only)

General Public HIV Testing
    Baggot Street Clinic,
    19 Haddington Road,
    Dublin 4
    (01) 669 9553

Mater Hospital
    Infectious Diseases
    Out Patient Department
    North Circular Road
    Dublin 7
    ( Appointment only)
    Tel: 01 - 8032063
    Entrance through A & E Gate

The GUIDE Clinic,
    St. James's Hospital,
    James's Street,
    Dublin 8,
    Tel: 01 - 416 2315
    Tel: 01 - 416 2316

http://www.thinkcontraception.ie/think_game_banner.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Ha! You really have no idea how bad it is. I tried twice to go there, did everything by the book, and both times I was sent home by some rude, unkempt, hoopy-earring receptionist because they couldn't see me. This was in spite of me turning up at 8.30am, on the second attempt, after they had me wait in an outdoor conservatory for an hour in the freezing cold.

Contrast this with the clinic back in Cork, where I rang for an appointment a few weeks in advance and arrived to friendly, professional staff, in a warm waiting room with a flat-screen TV on the wall. All in all, the process took two hours, start to finish. Compared to reported eight hour turnaround time at Jame's.

That clinic is a joke, and the fact that Dublin has only one free clinic is madness.

Totally agree. STI testing/care in Dublin is a joke. They really do make it as difficult as possible. Here in London, you can book a free, thorough STI screening with just a few days notice. You can even turn up without appointment if you're desperate and be seen. Apparently any medication or antibiotics are available there in the clinic at no cost to the patient. I generally find the NHS a bit rubbish but can't fault them on this. It's insane how difficult it is in Dublin. There are posters everywhere telling us to get checked for chlamydia, yet to do so, you need to take a day off work or pay close to 200 euro? What a joke.

hi guys, i definately have something and i'm pretty worried, i cant help but fear its herpes, i have a bit of a flu, cold sores appearing and a wart thing on the head of my penis. Im thinking about doc freedman, but he might be a little expensive, any other suggestions. im in ranelagh. thanks in advance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

assured be wrote: »
    hi guys, i definately have something and i'm pretty worried, i cant help but fear its herpes, i have a bit of a flu, cold sores appearing and a wart thing on the head of my penis. Im thinking about doc freedman, but he might be a little expensive, any other suggestions. im in ranelagh. thanks in advance

Get down to James' Street early tomorrow and give that a go. I had no problems and found it a grand service, if a little time consuming. Won't cost you a cent too.
    Obviously others have had problems and I also agree it's ridiculous there's not more free places to go.

Took a while to get it together and finally went to Well Woman to get full screening and got the all clear.

Just a note on the WW clinic. I've read some less than favourable reviews on here and just wanted to say that I couldn't have found the staff in their Coolock branch more helpful.

I called up and explained I was worried I was having an outbreak of something and they moved appointments around so I could be seen that afternoon :D

I saw the doctor who asked the usual: why are you getting tested/when did exposure happen/brief medical history re cervical cancer in family etc./recent partners/protection.

Did the tests all the time making conversation and very much putting me at ease.

Would highly recommend them. Testing is at 145 or 125 for students

http://www.wellwomancentre.ie

Took a while to get it together and finally went to Well Woman to get full screening and got the all clear.

Just a note on the WW clinic. I've read some less than favourable reviews on here and just wanted to say that I couldn't have found the staff in their Coolock branch more helpful.

I called up and explained I was worried I was having an outbreak of something and they moved appointments around so I could be seen that afternoon :D

I saw the doctor who asked the usual: why are you getting tested/when did exposure happen/brief medical history re cervical cancer in family etc./recent partners/protection.

Did the tests all the time making conversation and very much putting me at ease.

Would highly recommend them. Testing is at 145 or 125 for students

http://www.wellwomancentre.ie

I hope you really were having an outbreak of something. If not, that's incredibly unethical as someone who had probably made an appointment well in advance or even someone who needed it more than you would have had to wait while you took their appointment.

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    I hope you really were having an outbreak of something. If not, that's incredibly unethical as someone who had probably made an appointment well in advance or even someone who needed it more than you would have had to wait while you took their appointment.

While I understand your concern, I'd hardly be coming in to effectively boast on a public forum about it if that was the case. I understand your point but I think you may have misconstrued my point.

I called and explained my current situation and that led to them rearrange some appointments. They did NOT give me anyone else's appointment, just basically squeezed me in. The doctor was informed of the reason for this as well and discussed it with me when I went in.

I've been a member of boards for a long time now and, while I'm going un-regged for obvious reasons, would absolutely not condone anyone calling up and deceiving medical professionals in order to fast-track their appointment.

• Advertisement

I'm just looking for advice regarding the health centre at the royal victoria hospital in belfast.

It says that its a walk-in service, with doors opening at 7.30. Will I really need to get there that early?

I'm gonna be waiting there all day aren't I?!

Hi i´m travelling around europe at the moment, and have discovered some lovely small white lumps on my anus, fairly sure i´ve got syphillis even though i havent received anal sex in almost a year and used protection. naturally im terrified, does anyone know of a list of clinics in france and spain?want to get this sorted asap before it gets any worse :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@NotSoLovely - most guide books will feature a section on STD clinics etc.

Hi all,

Just want to say thanks to everyone for the thread.

I recently did one or two silly things, and I think I may have a few symptoms (including being a little paranoid about the whole thing). I felt really alone until I read this thread.

Thanks

Going anon for this.
    Basically I had two bouts of unprotected sex last week with someone who could well be prostituting herself (pretty sure of that, actually.)
    I was drunk and now I feel incredibly stupid and worried, mostly about HIV.
    I have a partner and I haven't slept with her since because obviously I don't want to give her anything I may have caught.
    I'm worried it can take 3 months before a surefire test for HIV? Is there no quicker way of getting a foolproof HIV test result? I'm willing to pay to know ASAP. If so, who in Dublin offers this service?

The clinic in St.Jamses do the HIV test. It takes 2 weeks (I had also read somewhere that it takes 3 months, but they told me no). They can rush it if you look really nervous like I did. This was 2 weeks after the suspected incident.

anom wrote: »
    The clinic in St.Jamses do the HIV test. It takes 2 weeks (I had also read somewhere that it takes 3 months, but they told me no). They can rush it if you look really nervous like I did. This was 2 weeks after the suspected incident.

Yeah but you and Feeling stupid have missed the point here. I'm afraid either the staff at James' misunderstood you, you misunderstood them, or there has been some breakthrough the rest of us haven't heard about. It's not about the results of the test. It's about the window of time that needs to pass before an HIV test comes up positive. Generally, you need to wait 3 months to test because your body takes that long to develop the antibodies. Going in to get tested next week if the encounter was last week is of no use whatsoever. It will only tell you if you what your HIV status was three months ago. There are on-the-spot HIV tests available which take one minute to process, but again, you still need to wait the 3 months to have the test. I'm fairly sure about this, as I needed a routine HIV test along with other tests recently and they stressed that it was only accurate up to three months ago.

I would still recommend going in in a couple of weeks for the bacterial STI tests, as they will be accurate and most of them are treatable. And also, they are much more common and easily transmitted than HIV.

hi,

To be honest my knowledge of this stuff was zero up until a few days ago.

The incident where I thought I may have been in danger of catching HIV was 2 and a half weeks before I was tested. I had no incidents in the previous 12 months that were considered in any way risky. I was informed after 2 days my HIV test was negative. They did mention further testing but that I was negative.

I did test positive for something a minor, but then again thats why I was there.

Like I said, my knowledge of this stuff is low. But the above is my what happened me in the last few days.

Thanks

Btw, the staff in there were brilliant, couldn't praise them enough. There was a lot of waiting, but for considering it's free it's a great service.

anom wrote: »
    hi,

To be honest my knowledge of this stuff was zero up until a few days ago.

The incident where I thought I may have been in danger of catching HIV was 2 and a half weeks before I was tested. I had no incidents in the previous 12 months that were considered in any way risky. I was informed after 2 days my HIV test was negative. They did mention further testing but that I was negative.

I did test positive for something a minor, but then again thats why I was there.

Like I said, my knowledge of this stuff is low. But the above is my what happened me in the last few days.

Thanks

Btw, the staff in there were brilliant, couldn't praise them enough. There was a lot of waiting, but for considering it's free it's a great service.

But if you think you did have a risk of HIV, you should go back in 3 months because that test doesn't count at all if the incident you're worried about happened 2 1/2 weeks earlier. I'm surprised they didn't make this clear. I know a lot about it because my friend got a needle stick injury a few years ago and she had to go back 3 times in total to be sure she hadn't got anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Yeah but you and Feeling stupid have missed the point here. I'm afraid either the staff at James' misunderstood you, you misunderstood them, or there has been some breakthrough the rest of us haven't heard about. It's not about the results of the test. It's about the window of time that needs to pass before an HIV test comes up positive. Generally, you need to wait 3 months to test because your body takes that long to develop the antibodies. Going in to get tested next week if the encounter was last week is of no use whatsoever. It will only tell you if you what your HIV status was three months ago. There are on-the-spot HIV tests available which take one minute to process, but again, you still need to wait the 3 months to have the test. I'm fairly sure about this, as I needed a routine HIV test along with other tests recently and they stressed that it was only accurate up to three months ago.

I would still recommend going in in a couple of weeks for the bacterial STI tests, as they will be accurate and most of them are treatable. And also, they are much more common and easily transmitted than HIV.

I would imagine either the poster or the Doctors in this case are not talking about the ELISA antibody tests - but rather the HIV particle test - i.e. testing for the virus before the antibodies develop.

Such a test has to be done generally within 10 days of potential exposure as looks for the virus itself. However, this type of test while used widely in America in conjunction with antibody tests is not an approved diagnostic test and is used only to monitor the level of infection in the blood. It has been quote as being very accurate within the 10 day timeframe but not accurate enough to give peace of mind. 3 months standard ELISA antibody test will do that for you.

I think I have seen it quoted that the "particle test" is 90ish% accurate depending on the individual circumstances - and is imporving all the time, so if the OP got this done then it would provide huge peace of mind but not enough to rely on confidentally. Near 100% confidence is only achieved in excess of 13 weeks from exposure through the ELISA tests.

Having said all of that OP - the chances of HIV infection in your situation are tiny and you will most likely have dodged a bullet. But be careful in future. It is not worth the risk.

All the best.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement