Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STI Clinics in Ireland (list in first post updated 10/08/2010)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    But if you think you did have a risk of HIV, you should go back in 3 months because that test doesn't count at all if the incident you're worried about happened 2 1/2 weeks earlier. I'm surprised they didn't make this clear. I know a lot about it because my friend got a needle stick injury a few years ago and she had to go back 3 times in total to be sure she hadn't got anything.

Protocols for HIV testing are different for needle stick injuries compared to unprotected heterosexual intercourse.

Most needlestick injuries are tested out to 6 months with ELISA testing and sometimes out to 12 months - mostly, but not solely, due to the potential for delay seroconversion due to dual infection with HIV and HEP C.

I imagine the Docs did make it clear (at least I hope so) that they were considering testing him with a particle test to get a good grounding.

Also, it is common for a baseline test to be done to ensure that there is no existing HIV infection present - therefore later, if tested positive they can narrow down the window of infection, the people who could have infected the person and the people the person could have infected - quarantine like.

I expect the doctors would have told the OP about both scenarios and hopefully mentioned the 3 month window for ELISA. Although, I have come across plenty of doctors that just don't worry so much in these circumstances because the clinical risk of infection is so fractional.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Uriel. wrote: »
    Protocols for HIV testing are different for needle stick injuries compared to unprotected heterosexual intercourse.

Most needlestick injuries are tested out to 6 months with ELISA testing and sometimes out to 12 months - mostly, but not solely, due to the potential for delay seroconversion due to dual infection with HIV and HEP C.

I imagine the Docs did make it clear (at least I hope so) that they were considering testing him with a particle test to get a good grounding.

Also, it is common for a baseline test to be done to ensure that there is no existing HIV infection present - therefore later, if tested positive they can narrow down the window of infection, the people who could have infected the person and the people the person could have infected - quarantine like.

I expect the doctors would have told the OP about both scenarios and hopefully mentioned the 3 month window for ELISA. Although, I have come across plenty of doctors that just don't worry so much in these circumstances because the clinical risk of infection is so fractional.

But do they do that test in James' clinic? I've had several HIV tests done in Dublin and here in London (need routine STI tests from time to time as I have long term gyno issues and new doctors like to check it's nothing sex related) and I've never once been offered this type of test. It's always been the ELISA testing, just like for needlestick injuries. The clinic I attend here is of an extremely high standard, it's attached to a teaching hospital and many results are back within half an hour, but there are signs everywhere saying the HIV test is only accurate when the exposure was three or more months ago. The doctor also carefully explained this to me, even though I had no real risk at all.

Perhaps I am mistaken and they do now offer a new test in James' but I'd be very surprised if this particle test was offered in a public hospital (I think Derek Freedman in Ranelagh has been known to do it, but rarely does it due to the high level of false positives and general inaccuracy). I do apologise if I have given misleading information - I genuinely thought it was just the antibody test offered there.

But do they do that test in James' clinic? I've had several HIV tests done in Dublin and here in London (need routine STI tests from time to time as I have long term gyno issues and new doctors like to check it's nothing sex related) and I've never once been offered this type of test. It's always been the ELISA testing, just like for needlestick injuries. The clinic I attend here is of an extremely high standard, it's attached to a teaching hospital and many results are back within half an hour, but there are signs everywhere saying the HIV test is only accurate when the exposure was three or more months ago. The doctor also carefully explained this to me, even though I had no real risk at all.

Perhaps I am mistaken and they do now offer a new test in James' but I'd be very surprised if this particle test was offered in a public hospital (I think Derek Freedman in Ranelagh has been known to do it, but rarely does it due to the high level of false positives and general inaccuracy). I do apologise if I have given misleading information - I genuinely thought it was just the antibody test offered there.

No No Izzy, you are absolutely right in terms of the ELISA tests. The particle test (testing for the presence of HIV itself) is not an approved diagnostic test anywhere in the world. You cannot get it (albeit it is not offered as standard practice) in public or private practices here.

However, it has been known to be given to people (who are within the window period (3 - 10 days) for this test) whom, on the judgement call of the doctor, are presenting with particularly extreme mental anxieties over a potential exposure. In other words, due to its roughly 90% accuracy of detecting HIV within the first 10 days of exposure, it may be used to ease the mind of a person who could be potentially harmful to themselves due to extreme mental paranoia regarding an exposure. The test may offer a huge amount (although not 100%) reassurance to a person while they await the 3 month periodfor ELISA testing.

In the US, it is becoming more popular as its accuracy increases (even though it doesn't carry FDA approval for Diagnostics yet). Docs use it where a patient presents in a low risk category e.g. where it is a one time unprotected heterosexual exposure to a partner whose status is unknown (persumed negative), a non IV drug User and not originally from a sub Saharan country.

The basis for this is that:
    the chances of somone being infected who doesn't fall into one of the categories above is less than 1% - for arguments sake (0.01)

One time vaginal intercourse (unprotected) - 1 in 1,000 chance of being infected (if your partner was HIV+ - (0.001)

so the chances of being infected in this instance are 1 in 50,000. With a negative result on a particle test within the first ten days would push this out to 1 in 500,000 chance (allowing for the 10%inaccuracy of the test). So some doctors will say that the chance is so so so small that further testing is not required but will add the caveat that an antibody (ELISA) test at 3 months would be 99.99% conclusive though.

Essentially it's just away of reducing the odds overall etc...

Sorry, my previous posts were meant to provide an understanding as to why a particle test may have been offered to the OP, the rationale for same and the limitations - complimentary to your own posts, rather than refuting them.

For info - modern HIV testing is now much much more accurate than it ever was and in most cases an ELISA at 6 weeks is held to be accurate. But the official window period of 12/13 weeks has not been changed accordingly let. I did read recently that either plans were a foot to make submission or a submission has already been made to the CDC and FDA to reduce the guideline to 6 weeks - for certain exposure types - including unprotected heterosexual exposures involving low risk partners.

The State of Massachussets Health Department - one of the leading research, diagnostic and treatment centres for STIs/HIV reduced its official guidelines to 6 weeks some years ago (although they continue to, as a caveatto recommend 13 weeks as conclusive). All places use Caveats to cover themselves etc... the same way that no doctor or official will generally say in writing that an ELISA at 13 weeks is absolutely 100% scientifically accurate. but hopefully, the window period will be officially reduced to 6 weeks eventually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Just wondering if anyone knows if there is anything in the Louth area regarding testing.

Just for piece of mind really.
    Started seeing a girl recently and want to be sure I don't have anything, just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I got myself tested recently with Dr Lambert in North Dublin, nice guy, very efficient and reasonable price from what i can gather - tests and antibiotics €200 all in. Found him on www.stidoctor.com

Hi, just in case the details are wrong on the first post, could someone tell me what are the opening hours for James's walk in? And is there appointments available also?

I work until 3ish each day and actually can't get off work until then.

How about the Mater, would that be open til 5ish and if so, what days?

Thanks.

PS Does anyone have any links to Hiv statistics, namely, the chances of contracting it (male from female carrier)? I read before that it was something like 1 in 1200 chance which was surprising, but it was an official website I'm sure.

Any links would be great, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.guide2guide.ie/

Only ST James runs a sti clinic for the public.
    http://www.guide2guide.ie/whatwillhappen_sti.html

The clinic can only see a certain number of patients in the day so people often get there early and book in and then have to wait a few hours to be seen, it's not unusual fo people to turn up later and be told all the slots for that day are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭C2

Hi

Does anyone have any experience with Louise Pomeroy in Custom Medical in Dublin 1? Dosent seem to be much reference to her in this thread.

Thanks

It's extremely difficult for a man to catch hepatitis or HIV from unprotected sex, so stop worrying. For example, studies have shown that you'd have to have unprotected sex 1,000 to 10,000 times with a HIV+ person to catch HIV off them.

So not only is it unlikely the girl had hepatitis, but it's also unlikely you'd catch it even if she did.

Put it this way: there's been a chlamydia epidemic in Europe for about 20 years (in other words, a very large percentage of people aren't using condoms when they have one night stands) yet only a very small number of people have gotten hepatitis from sexual contact.

are these stats true?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,299 ✭✭✭✭Victor

adssddA wrote: »
    are these stats true?
    I think they are at best mis-stated. You can get many diseases after one material contact.

Victor wrote: »
    I think they are at best mis-stated. You can get many diseases after one material contact.

Yes you can, and one should always protect themselves but stats do indicate that the chances of picking up certain infections are reasonably slim. Having said that, does anyone want to be that one in one thousand, if not wear protection or have an exclusive monogamous sexual relationship with someone you know to be "clean"

What are your thoughts on getting an STI test after a once off one night stand, fully protected vaginal sex? no breaks/slips - absolute necessity?

What are your thoughts on getting an STI test after a once off one night stand, fully protected vaginal sex? no breaks/slips - absolute necessity?

Basically, the situation you describe carries no risk for most stis and negligible risk for others (HPV and or HSV). Although your risk for HSV is low (but not zero) thanks to your condom use. HPV is not really worth being overly concerned about. Either way without symptoms neither of these "stis" can be tested for in Ireland.

if you continue to consistently and properly use condoms you will have very little to worry about. But all sexually active people (outside of a monogamous ("clean") relationship) should get themeslves tested every year as a matter of good health managment. But you've nothing to worry about regarding the situation you describe

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Wouldn't see any reason to get tested over that

Was hoping somebody could tell me how to get to the clinic in St. James Hospital and where the hospital is located.

When I type St. James Hospital into google I get up quite a few returns for Dublin.
    Was hoping somebody could tell me how to get there.

Thanks.

Where are you coming from?

The Luas (Red Line) is probably the handiest way to get there.

See link below for the GUIDE Clinic and the "how to find us" section
    http://www.guide2guide.ie/findus.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 gmhp

C2 wrote: »
    Hi

Does anyone have any experience with Louise Pomeroy in Custom Medical in Dublin 1? Dosent seem to be much reference to her in this thread.

Thanks

Louise has worked in the sexual health field for many years, she was the first doctor in Gay Men's Health Services clinic way back in 1992. So she has lot of experience.

I wonder if anyone can help. I was in contact with one of the private clinics earlier. I said that I wan to get tested for syphilis, chlamydia, gonorrhoea and Hep B and C. So when the secretary was setting-up the appointment, she said I would also have to test for HIV because they all come as a package. Surely if I'm paying then I can decide what I get tested for or don't get tested for?

I wonder if anyone can help. I was in contact with one of the private clinics earlier. I said that I wan to get tested for syphilis, chlamydia, gonorrhoea and Hep B and C. So when the secretary was setting-up the appointment, she said I would also have to test for HIV because they all come as a package. Surely if I'm paying then I can decide what I get tested for or don't get tested for?

If you have been at risk for syphilis you have been at risk for HIV so it maybe a good idea for you to get tested. Is there any reason you don't want to test for HIV?

It's not an issue of public verses private testing. You can opt out of any test you don't want, but staff in either service will want to check in why you want to.

• Advertisement

I know that I should. I just feel that I want to get tested for the less serious stuff first - and deal with that if necessary and then get tested for HIV.

It might seen non-sensical or whatever but even getting tested is such a huge massive deal for me and I think this is the only way I'll be able to do it.

Is there some link between syphilis and HIV that is not with other STIs or something?

The recent figures have shown a certain percentage of co-infection with syphilis and HIV. The presence of a syhilis infection can make it easyer to be infected with HIV by compromising your first layer of defense(your skin)

For example a syphilis sore in your throat can make oral sex (considered very low risk for HIV infection) more risky for HIV.

The choice of what to get tested for is yours. Just be clear in yourself why you make that decision. The improvments in treatments for HIV now mean that you are far better to know your status then not know.

For anyone who is embarrassed about going for an STD test, just want to reassure people that it is nothing to be freaked out about! ( Well not the test anyway :) )

I was really worried about going for the test, besides the worry of having something wrong with me it was the feeling of actually having to sit in a waiting room having everyone know why I am there.

This morning I went to the Victoria hospital in Cork, someone actually told me to wear a hat going in there so I wouldn't be recognised ! I didn't, as soon as went in there all the pre embarrassment worries went away, the staff were really nice and I didn't feel at all uncomfortable, no judgment nothing like that. I am so glad I went. Only problem now is I have to wait two weeks for a result !

So many of my friends had the same silly "oh it would be so humiliating going in for an STD test " state of mind.... i realise now how stupid that is...and also dangerous thinking of people who refuse to go for a test based on this mindset.

Anyway that is my two cents

Hopefully all my test results will be clear ! fingers crossed

I know that I should. I just feel that I want to get tested for the less serious stuff first - and deal with that if necessary and then get tested for HIV.

It might seen non-sensical or whatever but even getting tested is such a huge massive deal for me and I think this is the only way I'll be able to do it.

Is there some link between syphilis and HIV that is not with other STIs or something?

I understand how you feel. I did the same thing myself and got tested first for the swab/urine tests and only about a year later on the scary blood ones.

I will warn you, I tested negative for everything but it did not ease my fear about the blood tests even slightly.

Just go for the full test. Sooner or later you'll do it and it'l just play on your mind of you don't. And what if you got positive for something minor, would freak you out no end even though you're far less likely to have caught HIV/Hep

To be honest there is absolutely no value in waiting to be tested for infections on separate basis.

As far as the patient is concerned the HEP B/C, HIV ans Syphilis Testing are done as one test -in other words, irrespective of what tests you get done you only need to get one blood draw. The splitting of the blood samples to do the various tests is carried out in the lab.

The blood draw you get for the HIV test will cover all of the above and vice versa, end of test. Going back to get the HIV tests later will require another blood draw in the exact same way. You are far better off to get them all done together as the testing "experience" does not differ.

I appreciate the stress and fear of testing for HIV. However, you fill find that waiting and fretting over your status can cause serious damage to your mental health. And 99% of tests will be negative. Remember, testing won't give you HIV, but in the unlikely event that you test positive, the management of your health is in your hands, with the help of HIV experts. HIV is no longer the death sentence it once was. It's now a very managable long-term chronic illness.

Syphilis rates in Ireland are very very low. There has been an outbreak (seemingly concentrated in Dublin mainly, but not solely) in the past eight years. However, it has largely been confined to the gay community.

As gmhp has already said to you, the presence of syphilis sores, orally or on the sex glands increases the risk of HIV infection due to breaks in the skin etc...

Whatever you decide to do, best of luck and I am sure you will be fine.

PS. don't forget to test at the appropriate times in terms of the Window period for the infections etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 29 sugajay

stdtest wrote: »
    For anyone who is embarrassed about going for an STD test, just want to reassure people that it is nothing to be freaked out about! ( Well not the test anyway :) )

I was really worried about going for the test, besides the worry of having something wrong with me it was the feeling of actually having to sit in a waiting room having everyone know why I am there.

This morning I went to the Victoria hospital in Cork, someone actually told me to wear a hat going in there so I wouldn't be recognised ! I didn't, as soon as went in there all the pre embarrassment worries went away, the staff were really nice and I didn't feel at all uncomfortable, no judgment nothing like that. I am so glad I went. Only problem now is I have to wait two weeks for a result !

So many of my friends had the same silly "oh it would be so humiliating going in for an STD test " state of mind.... i realise now how stupid that is...and also dangerous thinking of people who refuse to go for a test based on this mindset.

Anyway that is my two cents

Hopefully all my test results will be clear ! fingers crossed

I 100% agree with this post, if fear or embarrassment is stopping you from going for a STD test then please don't let it. I went for a test in the Regional Hospital in Limerick. The staff were so friendly and helpful, you are not called out by name but are assigned a number so other people in the waiting room don't know your name. At the end of the day, everyone waiting is there for the same reason. Get over the embarrassment and get yourself checked out.

how long does it take to get the results from jame's??

i got tested 2 weeks ago today and havent heard anything yet!!!

,hb,jhvm wrote: »
    how long does it take to get the results from jame's??

i got tested 2 weeks ago today and havent heard anything yet!!!

An ex of mine got tested there a few years ago and was told if nothing heard in 2 weeks you can assume you're ok. Typically Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

An ex of mine got tested there a few years ago and was told if nothing heard in 2 weeks you can assume you're ok. Typically Irish.

That's what I heard as well. I get that it saves resources but it's a terrible idea, IMO. What if they overlooked you, or took the wrong number? No way I'd agree to that, I'd just ring them myself after 2 weeks.

• Advertisement

Me and the boyfriend got diagnosed with Chylamidia last week and we took the tablets on Friday. The doctor said no sex for a week but today I gave my boyfriend head. I know it was stupid and in the heat of the moment but what are the chances of us both being reinfected? Will we need to get the tablets again?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement